Exercise and Daily Activity with a Weighted Vest

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I’ve been using a weighted vest for the last 3 years as part of my plan to help prevent age related muscle and bone loss. I’m really convinced it’s in the top 3 things I’ve done for my overall health. The vest I wear is 15% of my body weight but when I started it was 10% and I wear it when I go for walks or when hiking. I also often wear it when doing housework. I find it to be very beneficial in building strength and stamina. I was wondering if anyone else here uses a weighted vest and has any input-positive or negative?

akgrrrl

I do the same with ankle and wrist weights. Even wearing for a normal day doing housework, shopping/schlepping supplies into the house, it makes me deliciously tired so I sleep great!

Old Irenaeus

Thanks so much for posting this. I have a weighted vest and had forgotten all about it. Time to vest up!

Peatful

I think one needs to be aware that the vest compresses the spine
And if form is wrong or muscle fatigue a factor- anatomically it can cause stress or torque etc on joints, tendons, cartilage…or unnecessary wear

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks everyone. I didn’t receive any notifications that there were replies to this thread!
I had no idea that it compresses the spine @Funnywhensunny. I wonder if there’s a threshold to when this becomes becomes a negative?

I can definitely feel when I’ve had enough but I’m also drawn to wear wearing it at times. I suppose there is an aspect of balance as with everything.

yerrag

Thanks everyone. I didn’t receive any notifications that there were replies to this thread!
I had no idea that it compresses the spine @Funnywhensunny. I wonder if there’s a threshold to when this becomes becomes a negative?

I can definitely feel when I’ve had enough but I’m also drawn to wear wearing it at times. I suppose there is an aspect of balance as with everything.
Its the first time for me to hear of weighted vests but I'm familiar with the subject of balance. I once bought a backpack on sale and regretted it as it was oversized for my frame and the resulting poor distribution of the weight it holds gave me absorbed back using it.

That was a lesson to me and the next time I bought a backpack I went to a mountaineering store with knowledgeable people who would get me a pack for my frame. The difference is night and day. Paying extra for that advice is well worth it.

The way the weight is distributed Ina backpack should result in the center of gravity that puts the weight mostly on the hips instead of the back. When done right, the weight isn't burdensome and there isn't much effort carrying the backpack.

Since I don't know anything about weighted vests, I may not be talking much sense here but I hope my experience applies equally here.

Can

That was a lesson to me and the next time I bought a backpack I went to a mountaineering store with knowledgeable people who would get me a pack for my frame. The difference is night and day. Paying extra for that advice is well worth it.
I used to go on long walks regularly, always accompanied with my backpack to carry water, food and tools. While I have some nostalgia for it, I also didn't like certain aspects of it because of its size, the way it fit me, etc, but I just didn't mind too much. That backpack is quite broken now and I've been thinking about buying a new one, but this time I wanted one that doesn't have the same shortcomings as the last one, and so I have been hesitant to buy one from regular stores as I didn't want to buy something that I would not like. This (going to a store dedicated to backpacks/outdoor activity/mountaineering) and getting help from professionals, is a great idea that I did not seriously think about for some reason (although it is obvious now that you say it).

Anyways, this just jumped into my mind when I read your post, but I don't want to derail this thread. To tie this back to weighted wests, I suppose that anything we put onto our bodies that carries a certain weight, should fit our individual physique, as anything else likely affects us unfavorably in the long run.

Last edited:
OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The idea behind the weighted vest is that the weight is evenly distributed. I started out putting weights in a backpack but it was very imbalanced. I would put 5 or 10 pound plates in a regular backpack and it was quite cumbersome and would hit my lower back and swing when I walked.

SamYo123

The idea behind the weighted vest is that the weight is evenly distributed. I started out putting weights in a backpack but it was very imbalanced. I would put 5 or 10 pound plates in a regular backpack and it was quite cumbersome and would hit my lower back and swing when I walked.
Just do functional patterns, avoid compressing your spine there are smarter ways now

Mister

rock-lee-weights.gif

Peatful

But this is not just about “ergonomics” right?…for lack of a better word…

Extra weight- is extra load on a joint- or unnecessary wear.
It’s why people as they age sometimes end up resorting to close chain exercise (ie recumbent bikes) or low impact or “weightless” (ie pool).

Im not sure added weight is supported by added benefits….

Chad_Catholic

I think you'll be fine as long as you frequently decompress your spine on an inverted table or by hanging from a tree branch or something. Do so without the weighted vest on of course haha

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I think you'll be fine as long as you frequently decompress your spine on an inverted table or by hanging from a tree branch or something. Do so without the weighted vest on of course haha
My bed is inclined so maybe I could just lay with my head down for a little bit. The weighted vest is part of my (possible) osteoporosis treatment plan for improving bone density.

Old Irenaeus

I like to hang from my Olympic rings to decompress. Maybe that will balance the use of the weighted vest at other times.

SamYo123

My bed is inclined so maybe I could just lay with my head down for a little bit. The weighted vest is part of my (possible) osteoporosis treatment plan for improving bone density.
Improved posture and quality of movement does that and you wont be acheiving that without functional patterns

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals