Exercise and Daily Activity with a Weighted Vest

Peachy

I don’t think it would necessarily compress the spine. It could actually give you feedback to “extend” into. Just focus on lengthening. That said, I haven’t tried it - but I’ve been entertaining the idea. I’ve done and taught a lot of yoga, Pilates & Alexander technique and that’s my hunch. Haha.

SamYo123

I don’t think it would necessarily compress the spine. It could actually give you feedback to “extend” into. Just focus on lengthening. That said, I haven’t tried it - but I’ve been entertaining the idea. I’ve done and taught a lot of yoga, Pilates & Alexander technique and that’s my hunch. Haha.
Yep it would be wise to avoid those too

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ch2Xjt1gcAt/

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CiFvWw0A5NU/

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/Chmy2eQpovx/

akgrrrl

While I have collapsed and crushed c-3, c-4, c-5, c-6 for 17 yrs now, compression is always on my mind. I have a large "upside down" machine purchased from a local phys therapy place---they approached me saying I was the only one using it! Exercise with the weight bearing vest seems it would offer wonderful opps for bone growth. I can feel the benefits immedediately of laying flat on my back, on thick carpets, pedaling in the air with 10# per leg Wow! Once you wear a vest, its apparent how lateral moves could be dangerous until strength and muscle growth cements ones balance. Overall, best in-home tool for me during long winters along with the treadmill. Trying to get the 1yr old Lab-Pittie on there for the coming season.

Attachments

• 20220731_081914.jpg
    20220731_081914.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 12
OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
While I have collapsed and crushed c-3, c-4, c-5, c-6 for 17 yrs now, compression is always on my mind. I have a large "upside down" machine purchased from a local phys therapy place---they approached me saying I was the only one using it! Exercise with the weight bearing vest seems it would offer wonderful opps for bone growth. I can feel the benefits immedediately of laying flat on my back, on thick carpets, pedaling in the air with 10# per leg Wow! Once you wear a vest, its apparent how lateral moves could be dangerous until strength and muscle growth cements ones balance. Overall, best in-home tool for me during long winters along with the treadmill. Trying to get the 1yr old Lab-Pittie on there for the coming season.
So cute!
I need to get one of those machines I guess. The vest does make me feel stronger and more balanced.

yerrag

I used to go on long walks regularly, always accompanied with my backpack to carry water, food and tools. While I have some nostalgia for it, I also didn't like certain aspects of it because of its size, the way it fit me, etc, but I just didn't mind too much. That backpack is quite broken now and I've been thinking about buying a new one, but this time I wanted one that doesn't have the same shortcomings as the last one, and so I have been hesitant to buy one from regular stores as I didn't want to buy something that I would not like. This (going to a store dedicated to backpacks/outdoor activity/mountaineering) and getting help from professionals, is a great idea that I did not seriously think about for some reason (although it is obvious now that you say it).

Anyways, this just jumped into my mind when I read your post, but I don't want to derail this thread. To tie this back to weighted wests, I suppose that anything we put onto our bodies that carries a certain weight, should fit our individual physique, as anything else likely affects us unfavorably in the long run.
Definitely.

And this isn't a novel idea when you think of it as something you wear instead of something you carry. Clothes, shoes - you wear them and you fit them before you buy. The backpack should be no different, except that with wearing it it's not second nature to you so you'll need a old hand to help you decide which backpack has the best chance of working in the field.

SamYo123

Stop by my studio. I bet we could fine tune some things in your body and take your functional patterns practice to the next level!
That would be incorrect since Yogis go to FP they dont go back to Yoga

Your gaitcycle is more important than yoga poses

Yoga has been around for thousands of years if it worked we wouldn't be seeing degeneration of the human body

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CdojSAfpMSG/?hl=en

Seems like a weighted vest is a fine idea. Any 'compression' that occurs is applied by the same laws of compression which occur when we do a deadlift or a bench press.

The only thing to be concerned with when using a weighted vest, then, are the same principles of exercise recovery that always apply: release fascia, work on fascial chains, and decongest stagnant lymph. Enjoy your added bone density!

Peatful

Seems like a weighted vest is a fine idea. Any 'compression' that occurs is applied by the same laws of compression which occur when we do a deadlift or a bench press.

The only thing to be concerned with when using a weighted vest, then, are the same principles of exercise recovery that always apply: release fascia, work on fascial chains, and decongest stagnant lymph. Enjoy your added bone density!
I see it differs two ways:

These are short and controlled movements.
These are closed chain (unless free weights)- where the body is also stabilized, static or supported.

Not my hill to die on.
I don’t even subscribe to the exercise for the sake of exercise dogma anymore.
I see it as compulsive for too many women unfortunately.

From a Peat perspective (and i presume a TCM perspective as well)- he approaches osteoporosis other ways.

With movement- i probably align with the FP approach above - if not stressful for the client.

SamYo123

If your gait cycle isnt being improved, then the exercise is considered useless and pointless

Every movement we do is based on how well our gait cycle mechanics function

your relationship to gravity should be priority

SamYo123

People can gain strength now and fix their gait later. Don't be ridiculous.
build it in ways that matter to function

building strength in ways its taught via mainstream has evidently led to poor gaitcycles we all see walking around

Peachy

That would be incorrect since Yogis go to FP they dont go back to Yoga

Your gaitcycle is more important than yoga poses

Yoga has been around for thousands of years if it worked we wouldn't be seeing degeneration of the human body
Yeah, I had a yoga guru warn me not to do too much Pilates. My Alexander Technique teacher didn’t want me doing yoga or Pilates.

It’s more about experimenting with different ideas and pulling what’s good and relevant, then evolving it into our own thing.

That’s what Joseph Pilates did. That’s what the functional patterns guy did - a lot of FP fundamental workouts are similar to what I was doing with clients 20 years ago.

Anyway, I wasn’t recommending any particular form of movement. Just wanted to throw a little credibility into my statement that a weighted vest wouldn’t necessarily cause compression and might even stimulate your muscles to lengthen more.

And I agree that gait is important. Alexander Technique with the right teacher is a very cool less-is-more approach for improving gait!

SamYo123

Yeah, I had a yoga guru warn me not to do too much Pilates. My Alexander Technique teacher didn’t want me doing yoga or Pilates.

It’s more about experimenting with different ideas and pulling what’s good and relevant, then evolving it into our own thing.

That’s what Joseph Pilates did. That’s what the functional patterns guy did - a lot of FP fundamental workouts are similar to what I was doing with clients 20 years ago.

Anyway, I wasn’t recommending any particular form of movement. Just wanted to throw a little credibility into my statement that a weighted vest wouldn’t necessarily cause compression and might even stimulate your muscles to lengthen more.

And I agree that gait is important. Alexander Technique with the right teacher is a very cool less-is-more approach for improving gait!
you dont and cant understand functional patterns

toolhead

Makes sense. I agree.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks for all the input everyone. I truly appreciate each and every comment. I’m certainly mindful of being balanced literally and physically and not compulsively exercising or over training but at the same time I really enjoy and feel benefits from putting on my vest and going for a walk in nature through the woods and fields. I mainly want to preserve my strength, flexibility and functionality as I age.

On another topic what do y’all think about the ability to do a deep squat? I was squatting down reading a label on something on the bottom shelf at the store and a lady commented to me that she doesn’t normally see anyone over 30 who can squat down like that?!?!

SamYo123

Thanks for all the input everyone. I truly appreciate each and every comment. I’m certainly mindful of being balanced literally and physically and not compulsively exercising or over training but at the same time I really enjoy and feel benefits from putting on my vest and going for a walk in nature through the woods and fields. I mainly want to preserve my strength, flexibility and functionality as I age.

On another topic what do y’all think about the ability to do a deep squat? I was squatting down reading a label on something on the bottom shelf at the store and a lady commented to me that she doesn’t normally see anyone over 30 who can squat down like that?!?!
You say "strength, flexibility and functionality as I age. "

prioritizing your gaitcycle is the foundation of that

How you stand,walk, run and throw is more important than doing a deep squat

Ignore everything and do FP and you'll understand

akgrrrl

I agree, the squat is most the single most important strength to keep as we age. Getting in and out of a tub, a low slung car, or just the simple rising from a chair using the core and quads correctly without some sort of assistance. Picking up things dropped, fastening boots and shoes, cleaning, or stocking and retrieving items in lower cubbards. Squat strength prevents the proverbial tip-over-loss-of- balance-whoaaaaa which you never want to happen on steps. I believe from my experience as a bodybuilder in fitness contest 2014, that my quad strength has served me above and beyond most of the population my age, these 8 years. Your vest will serve you well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals