Positive Peat Quotes On Exercise

It should be noted that the negative Peat quotes on exercise all have the words "excessive, exhaustive, intense, breathless etc. in them. Good thing I don't do anything excessive, exhaustive, intense, and breathless. I walk, hike in the SoCal sun with no shirt on in Speedos, (j.k. about the Speedos, but I really don't wear a shirt so I can get sunlight on more areas of the skin, naked would be even better), and do resistance training.

Positive Peat quotes on exercise:

“Concentric resistance training has an anabolic effect on the whole body. Sprinting is probably o.k. Endurance exercise is the worst. I don’t think martial arts are necessarily too stressful.

“Some muscle-building resistance exercise might help to increase the anabolic ratio, reducing the belly fat.

"Cytochrome oxidase in the brain can also be increased by mental stimulation, learning, and moderate exercise, but excessive exercise or the wrong kind of exercise (“eccentric”) can lower it, probably by increasing the stress hormones and free fatty acids. Sedentary living a high altitude has beneficial effects on mitochondria similar to moderate exercise at sea level.

“Since fat has a very low rate of metabolism, people who lose muscle by fasting are going to have increasing difficulty in losing weight, since they will have less active tissue to consume fat. Building up muscle and lymph tissue for optimal health – even if it initially causes a slight weight gain – will make reducing easier by increasing mass of metabolically active tissue.”

“In the last century, Sechenov found that exercising one hand strengthens not only that hand, but also the other. Brain activity stimulates growth and alteration of tissues, such as muscles.”

“Exercise, like aging, obesity, and diabetes, increases the levels of circulating free fatty acids and lactate. But ordinary activity of an integral sort, activates the systems in an organized way, increasing carbon dioxide and circulation and efficiency. Different types of exercise have been identified as destructive or reparative to the mitochondria; “concentric” muscular work is said to be restorative to the mitochondria. As I understand it, this means contraction with a load, and relaxation without a load. The heart’s contraction follows this principle, and this could explain the observation that heart mitochondria don’t change in the course of ordinary aging.”

“Many dietitians claim that exercise doesn’t increase the need for protein, but the Russians have found that a combination of exercise and increased protein intake can increase the muscle mass. In a woman, this process can not only improve grace and body proportions, but it also increases the body’s ability to burn up fat. Other nutrients are needed for using protein properly, and for maintaining optimum nerve functioning. However, if the exercise produces too much stress and not enough muscle action, muscle will atrophy as a result of cortisone’s shifting amino acid metabolism into glucose production. Lactic acid production (getting out of breath) is the main signal of the need to produce new glucose. Therefore, “aerobic” exercise is the most stressful. Cortisone not only causes atrophy of the skin, muscles, and immune system, but it even has been found the accelerate aging changes in the brain.”

“Exercise physiologists, without mentioning functional systems, have recently discovered some principles that extend the discoveries of Meerson and Anokhin. They found that “concentric” contraction, that is, causing the muscle to contract against resistance, improves the muscle’s function, without injuring it. (Walking up a mountain causes concentric contractions to dominate in the leg muscles. Walking down the mountain injures the muscles, by stretching them, forcing them to elongate while bearing a load; they call that eccentric contraction.) Old people, who had extensively damaged mitochondrial DNA, were given a program of concentric exercise, and as their muscles adapted to the new activity, their mitochondrial DNA was found to have become normal.”

“Failure to renew cells and tissues leads to loss of function and substance. Bones and muscles get weaker and smaller with aging. Diminished bone substance, osteopenia, is paralleled, at roughly the same rate, by the progressive loss of muscle mass, sarcopenia (or myopenia). The structure of aging tissue changes, with collagen tending to fill the spaces left by the disappearing cells. It’s also common for fat cells to increase, as muscle cells disappear.”

“Fatigued cells take up water, and become heavier. They also become more permeable, and leak. When more oxygen is made available, they are less resistant to fatigue, and when the organism is made slightly hypoxic, as at high altitude, muscles have more endurance, and are stronger, and nerves conduct more quickly.”

“When a muscle cell is stimulated enough to cause a contraction, the interruption of its resting phase causes a shift in the charge concentration on the proteins, potassium ions are exchanged for sodium ions, calcium ions enter, and phosphate ions separate from ATP, and are replaced by the transfer of phosphate to ADP from creatine phosphate.”

“With aging, hypothyroidism, stress, and fatigue, the amount of estrogen in the body typically rises. Estrogen is catabolic for muscle, and causes systemic edema, and nerve excitation.”

“Stress increases metabolic rate in a destructive, age accelerating way, with increased inflammation, and decreased resting oxidative metabolic rate. It’s the basic metabolic rate, with fast nerve conduction, quick cellular adaptation, etc., that’s biologically valuable.”

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/0 ... -exercise/

Last edited:
T

tobieagle

Nice compilation :thumbright

The question is why?
Did anyone here say otherwise?

GAF

I really appreciate having this information available to me in one easy to find post.

It isn't all black and white this way. Ray is the only one I have ever read who was convincing about eccentric being bad. But OTOH there are good reasons for doing some eccentric exercise....eccentric exercise can fix tendon injury and maybe protect connective tendons and ligaments against injury.

Prevents injury:
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Na ... c2770c.pdf

randomized study showing benefits in 1 year:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract

better than surgery:
http://njsportsmed.com/files/alfredson- ... hilles.pdf

Of course, this is a common injury pattern, and it may be a special case.

OP
Westside PUFAs
tobieagle said:
Nice compilation :thumbright

The question is why?
Did anyone here say otherwise?

Yes, many do say otherwise. More Peat misinterpretations floating around the net. They don't look at the whole picture and the nuances.

tara

Last edited by a moderator:

ThunderSpank

What about the lymphatic system? Isn't the flow of lymph fluid completely relient on muscle contraction and gravity shifts? I remember on an interview with Ray someone called in and said they bounce on a mini trampoline and Ray basically responded with he doesn't see any benefit to that other than maybe increasing bone density. It seems that bouncing on a trampoline pumps lymph fluid very effectively. I personally have been bouncing on a mini trampoline for 3 years and find that it is very effective at clearing a stuffed nose.

DrJ

Very useful compilation. Thanks for putting in the effort!

tara

ThunderSpank said:
post 114859 It seems that bouncing on a trampoline pumps lymph fluid very effectively.

Great that it works for you, and bone density is a plus.

Any reason why bouncing would be more effective than walking for moving lymph? I've heard that leg muscle contractions in walking can take some of the load off the heart, too, because it helps keep the blood moving as well as the lymph.

ThunderSpank

tara said:
post 114862
ThunderSpank said:
post 114859 It seems that bouncing on a trampoline pumps lymph fluid very effectively.

Great that it works for you, and bone density is a plus.

Any reason why bouncing would be more effective than walking for moving lymph? I've heard that leg muscle contractions in walking can take some of the load off the heart, too, because it helps keep the blood moving as well as the lymph.
I'm sure walking is wonderful for so many things including the movement of lymph fluid but I think the reason bouncing on a mini trampoline ( with springs not the elastic band ones for like $30 ) is superior to walking for lymph movement is the greater increase in gravity through bouncing vs walking. The gravity load makes the difference.

tara

ThunderSpank said:
post 114863 I'm sure walking is wonderful for so many things including the movement of lymph fluid but I think the reason bouncing on a mini trampoline ( with springs not the elastic band ones for like $30 ) is superior to walking for lymph movement is the greater increase in gravity through bouncing vs walking. The gravity load makes the difference.
Ok, I can kind of see how that might work. :)

NathanK

Thanks for putting this nice post together.

I was reading Muscle Control by Max Sick not long ago (http://www.davidgentle.com/library/max/ ... x.html#p=1) and thought of this heart contraction quote by Ray:
Westside PUFAs said:
post 114738 As I understand it, this means contraction with a load, and relaxation without a load. The heart’s contraction follows this principle, and this could explain the observation that heart mitochondria don’t change in the course of ordinary aging.”

Maxick was one of the legendary forefathers of bodybuilding who devised his own bodybuilding system over 100 years ago that emphasized relaxation after contraction

OP
Westside PUFAs
Another one for this list:

"In the resting state, muscles consume mainly fats, so maintaining relatively large muscles is important for preventing the accumulation of fats."

thanks to @Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Another one for this list:

"In the resting state, muscles consume mainly fats, so maintaining relatively large muscles is important for preventing the accumulation of fats."

thanks to @Amazoniac

Astonishing,
If you search for "sedentary insulin sensitivity", you'll be impressed by the amount of results discussing how moderate exercise but especially being active improves glucose metabolism, how brief daily exercises are not enough to compensate for inactivity, while activity decreases risks for many problems, improves health markers, and so on.
Adding "sitting" or the mentioned "inactivity" to that line also gives you other relevant results.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals