Exhaustive eccentric exercise (EEE), such as running, causes hyperlipidemia and liver damage

haidut

Forum Supporter
...and vitamin D can apparently reverse those negative effects, when given at a dose of just 2,000 IU daily during the exercise time period. In addition, the vitamin D supplementation resulted in a significantly bigger weight (fat) loss than the group doing only exercise. I think the biggest takeaway from the study is that most endurance exercise is not good for you when done to the point where it is effective for weigh loss. Considering most people do such types of exercise precisely for weight loss purposes, we can safely conclude that in most cases endurance exercise as commonly practiced is detrimental to health. A possibly less-damaging form of such exercise would be to limit the exertion until glycogen stores run out, as the hyperlipidemia observed in this study was most likely caused by the elevated lipolysis, which exhaustive exercise triggers due to glycogen depletion. Furthermore, as the study itself states, running is a type of eccentric exercise, which corroborates the hypothesis that only the concentric portion of muscle exertion (i.e. contraction with a load, relaxation without a load) is beneficial for health. As such, I think the findings of the study can be extended to other types of eccentric exercise, including the eccentric portion of exertion in weightlifting. Now, note that I emphasized the word "most" above. Why? Well, because there are endurance exercise types that involve mostly concentric effort. Such types are swimming, biking, rowing, and running (up)stairs. So, those types of exercise are probably safer but I would still try to limit the effort duration until glycogen stores are depleted, as if lipolysis is elevated it invariably causes damage even if triggered by concentric exercise. For the people that are still doubting the negative effects of exhaustive exercise, I have also included another study (first link below), which demonstrates that elevated glucocorticoids (invariably present during exhaustive exercise and other types of stress), reliably cause fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and hyperlipidemia, which matches perfectly the findings of the study in question (second link below).

Glucocorticoid-Induced Fatty Liver Disease
Alterations of liver enzymes and lipid profile in response to exhaustive eccentric exercise: vitamin D supplementation trial in overweight females with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease - BMC Gastroenterology

"...This study aimed to investigate the effect of a short-term Vit D supplementation on the alterations of liver enzymes (AST, ALT, and GGT) and lipid profile following EEE in overweight women with NAFLD. The results of our study indicate significantly reduced BW, BMI, BFP, and WHR in the experimental group following six-week Vitamin D supplementation. In parallel to our study, Hoseini et al. (2016) reported that high doses of vitamin D could significantly reduce BW, BMI, and visceral fat in rats with metabolic syndrome [17]. Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin stored in larger adipose tissues after synthesizing and entering the bloodstream, releasing it at a slower rate. low levels of vitamin D might impair insulin function, glucose metabolism, and other metabolic processes in the adipose tissue, which might be another mechanism in the association of anthropometric changes following vitamin D supplementation [17, 18]. Interestingly, the results of this study showed significantly increased liver enzymes and lipid profile (except for HDL) following EEE. According to the results of other studies, vigorous exercise training increases mitochondrial oxygen consumption [19] and free radicals production, which leads to fat peroxidation [20], membrane-dependent enzyme dysfunction, and the destruction of the cell membrane [21]. Therefore, altered liver enzymes and lipid profiles could indicate the leakage of cell continents and structural cell damage [20]. Besides, eccentric contraction (e.g., running on a negative slope) exerts a greater force on the muscles, leading to muscular and hepatic cell damage and changed serum levels of liver enzymes [22, 23]."

Mauritio

Interesting, so Vitamin D post workout ...

geusterman

Interesting. I’ll still be running twice a week. 1000x more benefits than a tiny increase in a few bio markers that would likely IMPROVE in the long “run” (no pun intended) 🏃‍♂️🙃
I agree. I’ve been aerobically fit for almost 40 years. I’ve always had a lousy lipid profile and always threatened by my doctors to go on statin drugs which I’ve always refused. Recently I had a heart vessel calcium score test done and the results was zero. I’m 72. My doctor said “nobody gets a zero!“ There are many protective factors in maintaining good muscle and bone mass through resistance training and systemic fitness through aerobic exercise. It is incredible medicine.
By the way, running is essentially a concentric exercise. It’s only the vastus medialis that acts as a brake as you come over the top of your stride that operates eccentrically.
Too many people will do anything, mostly irrational, to avoid regular exercise.
The flesh is weak.

Last edited:

SamYo123

Every human should have the ability to run and sprint. Basic human movements for survival.

abady

humans back then only run for hunting and survival, i feel like sht after running or doing long walks, some people say "i feel so good after running", idk if that's true cause i don't get these positive effects at all and i feel hungry and i eat lots of food and my whole body shut down and i feel extremely tired, i rather sit down drink some coffee with milk and listen to music i feel much happier and less stressed out doing that.

bornamachine

Vinny

humans back then only run for hunting and survival, i feel like sht after running or doing long walks, some people say "i feel so good after running", idk if that's true cause i don't get these positive effects at all and i feel hungry and i eat lots of food and my whole body shut down and i feel extremely tired, i rather sit down drink some coffee with milk and listen to music i feel much happier and less stressed out doing that.
Same. And always hated jogging more than anything. Only a handful of genetical gifted people can benefit from it (JMO)

PopSocket

Same. And always hated jogging more than anything. Only a handful of genetical gifted people can benefit from it (JMO)
Yeah, running always leaves me in a weird overexcited and chaotic mood. Don't know how people enjoy the feeling that comes with it.

Snicky

I have two bike trips (5-6 days of riding) coming up. It’s for fun for me and friends…

How can I make it the least damaging, most beneficial?

Takeaways:
So I should ensure enough Vit D (sun exposure not enough?) and keep feeding sucrose along the way?

Vit E— how much??

I plan to bring red light with me, too…

HumanLife

I have two bike trips (5-6 days of riding) coming up. It’s for fun for me and friends…

How can I make it the least damaging, most beneficial?

Takeaways:
So I should ensure enough Vit D (sun exposure not enough?) and keep feeding sucrose along the way?

Vit E— how much??

I plan to bring red light with me, too…
Listen to your body.

If you feel like you are overexerting yourself, there is no shame in rest.

Snicky

Listen to your body.

If you feel like you are overexerting yourself, there is no shame in rest.
Thanks, that was a thought that came to mind, too. I have been doing that a lot this past month as I hiked a total of about 5.5 weeks within 3 months over the summer (for work), and I overdid it… I came back to a lot of desk work to catch up on that stressed me out, and my right hip began hurting to the point I was limping (new for me)! That, with my personal situation lately (rethinking my set up/ healing from some bad stuff), I’ve been overall fatigued for weeks.

I have to say that German New Medicine explains a lot of my ailments in the past 10-15 years, and it’s really mind blowing. Even the hip pain could be explained by that modality. The thyroid issues, and others…

The hard part is reconciling that framework with more of the physiology/science/mainstream (but still alternative) approaches and paradigms—the ones I was indoctrinated into but have managed to modify with skepticism and a deeper look — and just overall rethinking something I probably never consciously chose but has defined a lot of my life: pushing myself… at times doing too much, tolerating bad environments/energy. (And in the last years, not dedicating enough time to the internal work).

I have this recurring impulse to quit my job and just take several months off and allow myself to rest.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals