Vitamin E Is Liver Protective

M

matisvijs

I originally got interested in vitamin E due to Ray Peat’ s writings on its anti-estrogenic effects. One of the things that jumped out while researching this vitamin, was the slew of studies and evidence about its liver protective effects. I suggest anyone with liver problems (elevated enzymes, NAFLD etc.) or anyone wanting to protect their liver prophylactically (or using something liver toxic) look into it. Here’ s some of the evidence I was talking about:

Pioglitazone, vitamin E, or placebo for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. - PubMed - NCBI – shows a significant reduction in biomarkers of NAFLD (Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease):

‘Vitamin E therapy, as compared with placebo, was associated with a significantly higher rate of improvement in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (43% vs. 19%, P=0.001)...’

‘...both agents were associated with reductions in hepatic steatosis (P=0.005 for vitamin E and P<0.001 for pioglitazone) and lobular inflammation...’

‘Vitamin E was superior to placebo for the treatment of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in adults without diabetes...’

The study used a dose of 800 IU daily for almost 2 years.

Long-term (>=2 yr) efficacy of vitamin E for non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. - PubMed - NCBI - researchers expect that a treatment with vitamin E for more than 2 years can ameliorate non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (cure/improve liver inflammation and damge caused by a buildup of fat in the liver):

‘...transaminase activities, insulin resistance index, and hepatic fibrosis markers were significantly improved.’
‘...liver fibrosis improved in seven patients...’
The study used a dose of 300 IU/day of vitamin E long term (2 years). Serum enzymes (ALT) and biomarkers of fibrosis improved.

Control of oxidative stress and reduction in biochemical markers by Vitamin E treatment in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: a pilot study - reduced liver enzymes by 53% (ALT) alongside a reduction in serum lipid peroxidation. Used 300 mg of vitamin E.

ALT – Alanine Aminotransferase is an enzyme found in the liver. ALT is measured to see if the liver is damaged or diseased. Low levels of ALT are normally found in the blood. But when the liver is damaged or diseased, it releases ALT into the bloodstream, which makes ALT levels go up. Most increases in ALT levels are caused by liver damage.

Plasma transforming growth factor-beta1 level and efficacy of alpha-tocopherol in patients with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis: a pilot study. - PubMed - NCBI - decreased circulating ALT levels, reduced fibrosis and inflammation of the liver, with the addition of 300 mg vitamin E daily. From the study:

‘...Some cases of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis progress to cirrhosis’
‘Transforming growth factor-beta1 is implicated in the development of liver fibrosis, and is inhibited by alpha-tocopherol (vitamin E) in the liver.’
‘The serum alanine transaminase level decreased in non-alcoholic fatty liver patients...’
‘The histological findings, such as steatosis, inflammation and fibrosis, of the non-alcoholic steatohepatitis patients were improved after alpha-tocopherol treatment...’
‘The plasma transforming growth factor-beta1 level in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis patients was significantly elevated compared with that in non-alcoholic fatty liver patients and healthy controls, and decreased, accompanied by an improvement in serum alanine transaminase level, with alpha-tocopherol treatment...’
‘Long-term alpha-tocopherol treatment may be safe and effective for non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.’

TGF beta 1 - plasma transforming growth factor-beta1, here’s a wikipedia article on it: TGF beta 1 - Wikipedia

Dosage: As you can see most studies used a range of 400IU-800IU of vitamin E daily. For prophylactic use I would wager that even 100-200 IUs/day or 400 IUs every 2-3 days would be enough to achieve the protective action of vitamin E on the liver.

Recommended brands/buying sources (always use mixed tocopherols):

Amazon.com: NOW Foods E-400 Mt, 250 Softgels: Health & Personal Care

Amazon.com: Healthy Origins Vitamin E - 400 IU Natural Mixed Toco Gels, 180 Count: Health & Personal Care

Amazon.com: Swanson Vitamin E Mixed Tocopherols 400 Iu 250 Sgels: Health & Personal Care

Here is Dr. Wilfrid E. Shute's updated book (whom Ray Peat has mentioned in his articles),who’s a legend when it comes to reaserching this vitamin:

Dr. Wilfrid E. Shute's Complete...Updated Vitamin E Book: Wilfrid E. Shute: 9780879831516: Amazon.com: Books

amethyst

I originally got interested in vitamin E due to Ray Peat’ s writings on its anti-estrogenic effects. One of the things that jumped out while researching this vitamin, was the slew of studies and evidence about its liver protective effects. I suggest anyone with liver problems (elevated enzymes, NAFLD etc.) or anyone wanting to protect their liver prophylactically (or using something liver toxic) look into it. Here’ s some of the evidence I was talking about:

Pioglitazone, vitamin E, or placebo for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. - PubMed - NCBI – shows a significant reduction in biomarkers of NAFLD (Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease):

‘Vitamin E therapy, as compared with placebo, was associated with a significantly higher rate of improvement in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (43% vs. 19%, P=0.001)...’

‘...both agents were associated with reductions in hepatic steatosis (P=0.005 for vitamin E and P<0.001 for pioglitazone) and lobular inflammation...’

‘Vitamin E was superior to placebo for the treatment of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in adults without diabetes...’

The study used a dose of 800 IU daily for almost 2 years.

Long-term (>=2 yr) efficacy of vitamin E for non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. - PubMed - NCBI - researchers expect that a treatment with vitamin E for more than 2 years can ameliorate non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (cure/improve liver inflammation and damge caused by a buildup of fat in the liver):

‘...transaminase activities, insulin resistance index, and hepatic fibrosis markers were significantly improved.’
‘...liver fibrosis improved in seven patients...’
The study used a dose of 300 IU/day of vitamin E long term (2 years). Serum enzymes (ALT) and biomarkers of fibrosis improved.

Control of oxidative stress and reduction in biochemical markers by Vitamin E treatment in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: a pilot study - reduced liver enzymes by 53% (ALT) alongside a reduction in serum lipid peroxidation. Used 300 mg of vitamin E.

ALT – Alanine Aminotransferase is an enzyme found in the liver. ALT is measured to see if the liver is damaged or diseased. Low levels of ALT are normally found in the blood. But when the liver is damaged or diseased, it releases ALT into the bloodstream, which makes ALT levels go up. Most increases in ALT levels are caused by liver damage.

Plasma transforming growth factor-beta1 level and efficacy of alpha-tocopherol in patients with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis: a pilot study. - PubMed - NCBI - decreased circulating ALT levels, reduced fibrosis and inflammation of the liver, with the addition of 300 mg vitamin E daily. From the study:

‘...Some cases of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis progress to cirrhosis’
‘Transforming growth factor-beta1 is implicated in the development of liver fibrosis, and is inhibited by alpha-tocopherol (vitamin E) in the liver.’
‘The serum alanine transaminase level decreased in non-alcoholic fatty liver patients...’
‘The histological findings, such as steatosis, inflammation and fibrosis, of the non-alcoholic steatohepatitis patients were improved after alpha-tocopherol treatment...’
‘The plasma transforming growth factor-beta1 level in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis patients was significantly elevated compared with that in non-alcoholic fatty liver patients and healthy controls, and decreased, accompanied by an improvement in serum alanine transaminase level, with alpha-tocopherol treatment...’
‘Long-term alpha-tocopherol treatment may be safe and effective for non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.’

TGF beta 1 - plasma transforming growth factor-beta1, here’s a wikipedia article on it: TGF beta 1 - Wikipedia

Dosage: As you can see most studies used a range of 400IU-800IU of vitamin E daily. For prophylactic use I would wager that even 100-200 IUs/day or 400 IUs every 2-3 days would be enough to achieve the protective action of vitamin E on the liver.

Recommended brands/buying sources (always use mixed tocopherols):

Amazon.com: NOW Foods E-400 Mt, 250 Softgels: Health & Personal Care

Amazon.com: Healthy Origins Vitamin E - 400 IU Natural Mixed Toco Gels, 180 Count: Health & Personal Care

Amazon.com: Swanson Vitamin E Mixed Tocopherols 400 Iu 250 Sgels: Health & Personal Care

Here is Dr. Wilfrid E. Shute's updated book (whom Ray Peat has mentioned in his articles),who’s a legend when it comes to reaserching this vitamin:

Dr. Wilfrid E. Shute's Complete...Updated Vitamin E Book: Wilfrid E. Shute: 9780879831516: Amazon.com: Books
Thanks for posting this. I think it's important. What is interesting to me is most vitamin E sources come from sunflower oil. Lecithin, which also comes from sunflower oil, (the better kind, not soy based) is very good for healing the liver and breaking down fats in it as well. Sunflower oil may be predominately PUFA oil but for healing the liver, I think it's tops.

Another good brand, which I use, is Solaray Bio-E Gamma Complex- it's a blend of 4 tocopherols. It's pricier than other vitamin E brands but a good one as well.

L

lollipop

Though not food source per se, I think Haidut's vit e from wheat germ might just seriously be the best form available anywhere.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals