there are many many more studies showing weight loss generally leads to higher all-cause mortality.

Nobody ever questions it either. The doctors blithely tell people "lose weight" and "everyone knows" you get healthier when you lose weight.

It's sheer idiocy.

Regina

This is what happened to my dad. He recently lost about 30 lbs, and everyone was applauding how great and healthy he looked. Never took my diet advice, and drank a few wines or beers every evening. Also began smoking again, (at least I got him to switch to natural tobacco) but it wasn't enough, and he passed away from a sudden and unexpected heart attack. Everyone was particularly shocked because he had just lost so much weight. I'm sure his estrogen and stress hormones were sky high too, his doc had him on tgel.
So sorry to learn about your loss.

L

lollipop

So sorry to hear this @sladerunner69. Must have been tough for you. Sending good thoughts. Interestingly, I think of you and remember your Dad because of the story you told about him recommendating Aspirin to you when you were a high school athlete. I remember thinking how smart that was.
Not sure you saw this @sladerunner69 just wanted you to know several of us are thinking about you.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
This is what happened to my dad. He recently lost about 30 lbs, and everyone was applauding how great and healthy he looked. Never took my diet advice, and drank a few wines or beers every evening. Also began smoking again, (at least I got him to switch to natural tobacco) but it wasn't enough, and he passed away from a sudden and unexpected heart attack. Everyone was particularly shocked because he had just lost so much weight. I'm sure his estrogen and stress hormones were sky high too, his doc had him on tgel.

Sorry to heart about this. The same thing happened recently to a Bulgarian football player. He became overweight within 12 months of stopping his professional career. Then did a lot of fasting and exercise to lose the extra weight, quit drinking and meat, lowers sugar intake...and dropped dead at 50 from a massive heart attack just as he reached his "ideal" weight recommended by the doctor. Apparently, in metabolic wards where people lose weight under controlled conditions they give them adrenaline blockers if the wight drop is going to be more than 10% of their current weight. In some circles it is well known that adrenaline surges can kill quite easily overweight people. Too bad this knowledge is not common around the world.

sladerunner69

Not sure you saw this @sladerunner69 just wanted you to know several of us are thinking about you.

Thanks lisa, it's very nice to hear that there are people on this forum/community that genuinely care. I spend so much time here so it's nice. Also my dad apparently was a more popular than my brother or I realized- we expected about 30-40 people to show up to the services, and it ended up at about 150 attending. All of them with something nice to say, many sharing their stories with me about how my dad made an impact on their lives.

That's funny you recall that, my dad liked to read a lot and give me health/diet advice. He read somewhere that coffee and aspirin were very good for you, (or perhaps more likely it was personal experience). He took baby aspirin and had a few cups black everyday, I swear sometimes he would drink like 10 cups. Still the rest of his diet and lifestyle was so pro-stress, just paleo, drinking, and of course cigarettes.

L

lollipop

Thanks lisa, it's very nice to hear that there are people on this forum/community that genuinely care. I spend so much time here so it's nice. Also my dad apparently was much more popular than most of us realized, we expected about 30-40 people to show up to the services, and it ended up at about 150. All of them with something nice to say, many sharing their stories with me about how my dad made an impact on their lives.

That's funny you recall that, my dad liked to read a lot and give me health/diet advice. He read somewhere that coffee and aspirin were very good for you, (or perhaps more likely it was personal experience). He took baby aspirin and had a few cups black everyday, I swear sometimes he would drink like 10 cups. Still the rest of his diet and lifestyle was so pro-stress, just paleo, drinking, and of course cigarettes.
How touching @sladerunner69 that so many came and beautiful to have with you for the rest of your life along with your other memories.

RedStaR

Dropping to 8% bodyfat with alternate day fasting was one of the best decisions I've ever made, along with some other lifestyle changes. I never felt younger (admittedly I'm still 27). Inflammation is gone, insulin is incredibly sensitive, gastrointestinals healed, hair loss apparently stopped, I'm more sharp at work, I lost appetite to junk and sugary foods, what's not to like?

Only downsides is a lower libido, slightly more rigid joints and tendons, and lower weights in the gym, possibly from lower estrogen, but that should recover as my body adapts to this conditioning. It may take up to a year according to some studies.

Dropping to 8% bodyfat with alternate day fasting was one of the best decisions I've ever made, along with some other lifestyle changes. I never felt younger (admittedly I'm still 27). Inflammation is gone, insulin is incredibly sensitive, gastrointestinals healed, hair loss apparently stopped, I'm more sharp at work, I lost appetite to junk and sugary foods, what's not to like?

Only downsides is a lower libido, slightly more rigid joints and tendons, and lower weights in the gym, possibly from lower estrogen, but that should recover as my body adapts to this conditioning. It may take up to a year according to some studies.

Yeah but you are 27. What conclusions can be drawn for older people. And how can you know that this wasn’t very damaging.

RedStaR

Yeah but you are 27. What conclusions can be drawn for older people. And how can you know that this wasn’t very damaging.

I believe hunger is healthy, and starvation is extremely difficult to induce. You should always cut fat to your natural baseline, mine has always been very lean growing up, and now I feel like a teenager again, it's a surreal and familiar feeling.

I learned to listen to my body when it comes to what foods to eat, when and how much to exercise, and when to sleep or wake up. If it were very damaging to me, I would have felt uncomfortable somehow. Right now, the thought of fatty/fattening foods repulses me, I stopped smoking, my skin looks healthy, my teeth look healthy, my hair stopped shedding, even off finasteride.

Fasting in itself is beneficial, but also holding onto minimal adipose tissue (and of the good kind) should relieve most of western diseases. It has to be done properly not to overly stress yourself, the leaner you become the shorter the fasting, and the exercise intensity needs to be. My last 2 months consisted of brisk walking twice a week.

cyclops

Are you really 8% body fat. That is extremely lean. Let me see s0me pics to make sure you look good.

RedStaR

Are you really 8% body fat. That is extremely lean. Let me see s0me pics to make sure you look good.

I'm 5'10 @ 61KG, waist is 28.5". It hurts when I sit down on hard material, or sitting down too long in the office chair. I've depleted a lot of gluteal fat.

I might try to look for some pictures when I get to my computer.

RedStaR

These weren't supposed to be internet friendly, sorry for the excessive nudity. :expressionless:

To add some context, this was taken last May, I've had another small cut between June and September. I did not take any more recent pictures than those.

bc3266d7e2278aeeeccba37ce1deb1af.png

dd858a163058d9ebabe4716237122f9e.png

2728c62c41ce240f713739ae3e77350f.png

EIRE24

I believe hunger is healthy, and starvation is extremely difficult to induce. You should always cut fat to your natural baseline, mine has always been very lean growing up, and now I feel like a teenager again, it's a surreal and familiar feeling.

I learned to listen to my body when it comes to what foods to eat, when and how much to exercise, and when to sleep or wake up. If it were very damaging to me, I would have felt uncomfortable somehow. Right now, the thought of fatty/fattening foods repulses me, I stopped smoking, my skin looks healthy, my teeth look healthy, my hair stopped shedding, even off finasteride.

Fasting in itself is beneficial, but also holding onto minimal adipose tissue (and of the good kind) should relieve most of western diseases. It has to be done properly not to overly stress yourself, the leaner you become the shorter the fasting, and the exercise intensity needs to be. My last 2 months consisted of brisk walking twice a week.
You look very lean indeed. What is your daily diet like while fasting?

schultz

What’s wrong with losing 1 pound per week? That’s my goal. I’m accomplishing it very easily with no hunger at all. In one year and that’s 52 pounds. That’s quite a lot of loss actually. I wouldn’t want to lose more than that in a year because it’s not safe.

One year is a long time....

I think the patience is hard for people. If everybody on the forum started right now, by next year no one would be complaining about carrying around too much fat, except for a select few who need to lose more. I know a lot of people who seem to always be dieting. 15 years + for some of these people. They aren't losing 1lbs a week that's for sure because if they were they'd be at their ideal weight in 6 months to a year.

I started a cut last month, apparently on September 6th according to my "Monitor Your Weight" app. The app also tells me I've lost an average of 0.27lbs per day or a weekly average of 1.86lbs and an overall 7.7lbs so far. It doesn't seem impressive (though I left out the initial 1-2lbs drop you experience on the first day) but if you think of the caloric deficit it's actually pretty quick. 0.25 pounds per day is a loss of 875 calories worth of bodyfat. That's a lot of fat! I think the last time I did this sort of thing was when my daughter was born, which was a little over 4 years ago. I was only a year or so into Peating. Wow, just checked my cronometer log from 2013 and apparently I started on September 2nd/2013 the last time. According to cronometer I went until May 18th. I started at 205lbs and dropped to 163lbs (then stabilized at about 165lbs). The time-frame was 37 weeks so I guess that's a little over a pound a week. Over the next 2 years or so I went up to 180lbs, then last year sometime I started lifting weights again for the first time in like 5 years maybe? I don't exactly remember. I hadn't done any lifting since starting Peat and it seems I put on a lot more muscle using the concepts I learned from Peat (and Haidut + his supplements) than I ever did before. I was eating quite a bit (and not always the best choices, like ice cream every night, coconut chips every so often, lots of butter and starch). In my experience this stuff can pack on fat quickly if you're not careful. Anyway I got up to 225lbs which caused me to reflect on what I was doing and I decided it was time to do a cut because being 225lbs is a bit uncomfortable. I must admit though I am much happier with the additional muscle. I saw pictures of myself at 165lbs and I look too skinny and my head was too big for my body lol.

I will update progress when I am finished cutting (or reducing as Peat calls it). Hopefully I don't get back down to 165lbs and realize I actually don't have increased muscle and I'm actually just fat lol. I've heard it's called a "dad bod'", and I am a father of 2 so at least I have an excuse people!!

I would also like to point out that the Grossman lab closed down, so I'm also using that as an excuse.... :bucktooth:

RedStaR

You look very lean indeed. What is your daily diet like while fasting?
Whole milk, and dark chocolate, for 12 months.

400-800 calories on fasting days, 1400-1600 on alternate days. One day a week off when I eat what I please. Mostly starch (rice) and animal protein to boost metabolism, sometimes pizza and desserts.

I completely disagree. mostly with what is in bold. i think you are completely wrong.

RedStaR

I completely disagree. mostly with what is in bold. i think you are completely wrong.

There are many paridgms in health and nutrition. If there was such a thing as concise and complete, we would known that by now.

I guess the real answer is that everything works, for their intent and purpose, and everything have their downsides. Mixing things up is what I imagine, keeps one the healthiest. If not for our unique physiologys, then for variety and comprehensiveness.

I'd like to hear your opinion on why you think that, however.

cyclops

These weren't supposed to be internet friendly, sorry for the excessive nudity. :expressionless:

To add some context, this was taken last May, I've had another small cut between June and September. I did not take any more recent pictures than those.

Whole milk, and dark chocolate, for 12 months.

400-800 calories on fasting days, 1400-1600 on alternate days. One day a week off when I eat what I please. Mostly starch (rice) and animal protein to boost metabolism, sometimes pizza and desserts.

Damn bro you look good! Maybe a bit too skinny in my opinion, but still real good. Thanks for posting. What's your height and weight? So lemme get this straight for a whole year you ate nothing but whole milk and dark chocolate, except one day a week when you "refeeded"? What an odd diet!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals