Burpee: The Ideal Peat Exercise?

lampofred

Assuming you start directly from the floor in a push-up position instead of jumping down, then 1) you start by only doing the concentric part of a push-up, 2) then when you jump horizontally inwards it is pretty similar to only doing the concentric part of a sit-up, and 3) finally when you jump vertically upwards you are only doing the concentric part of a squat. You are hitting all the major muscle groups (except back) in concentric motions. I can't think of any other exercise that hits even one major muscle group in a strictly concentric motion. Add in pull-ups where you are only going up the bar and jump off once you get to the top and that's a full-body concentric workout.

Won't really build mass in the long-run unless you wear weighted clothes but it will be great for your mitochondria, since Dr. Peat says that concentric exercise is regenerative to mitochondria whereas eccentric exercise is destructive.

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
Assuming you start directly from the floor in a push-up position instead of jumping down, then 1) you start by only doing the concentric part of a push-up, 2) then when you jump horizontally inwards it is pretty similar to only doing the concentric part of a sit-up, and 3) finally when you jump vertically upwards you are only doing the concentric part of a squat. You are hitting all the major muscle groups (except back) in concentric motions. I can't think of any other exercise that hits even one major muscle group in a strictly concentric motion. Add in pull-ups where you are only going up the bar and jump off once you get to the top and that's a full-body concentric workout.

Won't really build mass in the long-run unless you wear weighted clothes but it will be great for your mitochondria, since Dr. Peat says that concentric exercise is regenerative to mitochondria whereas eccentric exercise is destructive.
That's a good idea. Peat also mentioned wood chopping and sawing logs as good concentric exercises.
I think muscle ups, snatches and box jumps (up onto a box) can also be great concentric dominant exercises to boost mitochondria function and steroidogenesis.

As a side note, concentric exercise creates a lot more lactate than eccentric exercise unless done explosive for a very short duration. Research also indicates that although eccentric exercise causes muscle damage at first, the body adapts and after a few weeks, little to no muscle damage occurs from the eccentric exercise.

yerrag

@Hans why more lactate with concentric? Is it because it's anaerobic?

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans why more lactate with concentric? Is it because it's anaerobic?
Because a lot more fibres are activated with concentric exercise that eccentric, so a lot more glucose (several fold) are used.
If it's short and explosive, then mainly creatine phosphate is used to produce ATP, and then it switches for glyoclysis. So less than 10 sec should prevent excess lactate production.

yerrag

Thanks Hans!

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks Hans!
I should add that the intensity also matters a lot. At low intensity, such as chopping wood, you'll burn a little glucose, create a little lactate (if any), and then burn a lot of fat. As you go heavier such as with heavy snatches, muscle ups and so on, your muscles will rely mainly on glucose and then create a lot of lactate if the set is continued for too long.

yerrag

Speaking of chopping wood, would a small handy axe with more reps do better than a large axe?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Speaking of chopping wood, would a small handy axe with more reps do better than a large axe?
I don't think it will be better, but it will also work. You might have to alternate arms to prevent muscle imbalances, so in that area a big axe might be better.

yerrag

I don't think it will be better, but it will also work. You might have to alternate arms to prevent muscle imbalances, so in that area a big axe might be better.
That's very helpful. Off I go to buy a big axe. I have a lot of work to do in my backyard!

Hans

Forum Supporter
That's very helpful. Off I go to buy a big axe. I have a lot of work to do in my backyard!
Lol good stuff, just don't go too crazy on the first day that you get blisters.

yerrag

Lol good stuff, just don't go too crazy on the first day that you get blisters.
Good catch! I'll add a good pair of gloves as well :):

ExCarniv

I wouldn't listen Peat in terms of exercise, the man himself said he didn't exercise at all most of his life and recognized he was lazy and was years without doing any exercise.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I wouldn't listen Peat in terms of exercise, the man himself said he didn't exercise at all most of his life and recognized he was lazy and was years without doing any exercise.
There are many goals with exercise. Concentric is a good form of exercise and wood chopping is great for strengthening a whole chain of muscles over the whole body that will improve androgens and functionality. Maybe adding a hinge movement with that will be even better for a whole body workout.

vulture

lol
That doesn't actually proves he's right neither wrong, but he clearly is far away from being a strong man. In the other hand, Mark Rippetoe is an old strong f... that doesn't seem neither tries to look as knowledgeable in anything aside from strength training, but the guy is known to lift 180+ KG at old age on Squat and Deadlift, also have helped tons of people to be considerably stronger. If I had to take an advice I wouldn't surely consider Peat seriously in that matter because he has no actual experience on the subject on himself or anyone else, he only can talk about stuff he read from someone else, he might have tried hormones or diets, but being behind 100+ Kg for years is out of his reach, which makes you lack credibility via your own results.

By the way, if you are in love with concentric exercise, olympic weightlifting seems to be pretty dominant in that.

vulture

60 years old, 500 Lb deadlift
maxresdefault.jpg

Ray-Peat-W.jpg