Less Fat Oxidation For Better Fat Loss

sladerunner69

Well it depends on how many calories are available for muscle growth. If there is a big surplus some extra cardio will not hamper muscle growth. But if there isn't a lot of extra calories available cardio will hamper muscle growth.
Then you also have to take into consideration what kind of cardio it is (cycling, jogging, etc.) and the duration, frequency and intensity. Longer duration, more frequent and more intense cardio will hamper hypertrophy and strength to a greater extent. Jogging also has the greatest interference effect while cycling the least.
I'm not sure why someone would want to do cardio when bulking though unless they just really like it.

Also take into account the fact that any form of cardio will increase cortisol significantly, which is an hormone whose primary role is to catabolize muscle for energy.

Mr Joe

@Hans while Vitamin E is able to saturate some PUFA and Glucuronidation is able to purify some other PUFA, i've heard that Muscles are doing the main job burning fat safely at rest. Could you please explain what is the metabolic process behind that phenomenon and what enzyme/organs are involded ? On the mainstream web they talk about "gluconeogenis" but its seems to be a bad thing in the PeatWorld. Alghought i found Haidut quote : "People with good liver function will get into gluconeogenesis mode relatively quickly in the absense of glycogen and will not experience many of the negative side effects of caffein.". Can someone explain that ? Is there another way for muscle to burn fat at rest ?

Last edited:
OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans while Vitamin E is able to saturate some PUFA and Glucuronidation is able to purify some other PUFA, i've heard that Muscles are doing the main job burning fat safely at rest. Could you please explain what is the metabolic process behind that phenomenon and what enzyme/organs are involded ? On the mainstream web they talk about "gluconeogenis" but its seems to be a bad thing in the PeatWorld. Alghought i found Haidut quote : "People with good liver function will get into gluconeogenesis mode relatively quickly in the absense of glycogen and will not experience many of the negative side effects of caffein.". Can comeone explain that ? Is there another way for muscle to burn fat at rest ?
I'm not sure I understand your question. Muscle burns mostly fat at rest, whether it is saturated or PUFA. PUFAs are actually oxidized faster than long chain saturated fat. I elaborated here: PUFA Dangers Part 1: storage, mobilization and oxidation » MENELITE
Gluconeogenesis is essential for survival. When blood sugar drops or when glycogen gets low, gluconeogenesis is upregulated to prevent blood sugar from dropping to a lethal level.
Good thyroid function increases mitochondria in muscle, which can help with fat oxidation. Exercise can also upregulate mitochondria biogenesis.

tankasnowgod

@Hans while Vitamin E is able to saturate some PUFA and Glucuronidation is able to purify some other PUFA, i've heard that Muscles are doing the main job burning fat safely at rest. Could you please explain what is the metabolic process behind that phenomenon and what enzyme/organs are involded ? On the mainstream web they talk about "gluconeogenis" but its seems to be a bad thing in the PeatWorld.
"Gluconeogenesis" is the process of making glucose from protein. It's wasteful in general, requiring 1.4 grams of protein to make 1 gram of glucose. As an emergency process, it is a good thing, as it will keep you alive if you don't eat enough carbohydrate or have enough glycogen. But I think it generates a lot of ammonia and toxic byproducts. Not to mention, you are turning your muscles (and potentially vital organs) into sugar. Relying heavily on it is certainly a bad thing
Alghought i found Haidut quote : "People with good liver function will get into gluconeogenesis mode relatively quickly in the absense of glycogen and will not experience many of the negative side effects of caffein.". Can comeone explain that ? Is there another way for muscle to burn fat at rest ?
I recently saw that quote, and he was talking about that in the context of liver health and caffeine consumption. I have been re-reading his posts on caffeine a lot, and he's very clear that you should always take it with sugar (be that sugared coffee, or black coffee with a meal, or what have you). In this context, I think this would be a sort of "less bad" situation. In other words-

Caffeine plus sugar and/or adequate glycogen- Good!

Caffeine without adequate sugar/glycogen, but with good liver function- Sub-optimal, but okay.

Caffeine without adequate sugar/glycogen and with poor liver function- Bad, will cause stress reaction.

Last edited:

Mr Joe

I'm not sure I understand your question. Muscle burns mostly fat at rest, whether it is saturated or PUFA. PUFAs are actually oxidized faster than long chain saturated fat. I elaborated here: PUFA Dangers Part 1: storage, mobilization and oxidation » MENELITE
Gluconeogenesis is essential for survival. When blood sugar drops or when glycogen gets low, gluconeogenesis is upregulated to prevent blood sugar from dropping to a lethal level.
Good thyroid function increases mitochondria in muscle, which can help with fat oxidation. Exercise can also upregulate mitochondria biogenesis.
Got it ! So gluconeogenesis for survival ! Thanks for the article. I apologize if my question was not fully understood. You said "Muscle burns mostly fat at rest". Do you have the name of that process ? How a muscle can "excrete" pufa stored ? If its not oxydised then it goes to the urine ? Or just convert into something else ? Heat ?

"Gluconeogenesis" is the process of making glucose from protein. It's wasteful in general, requiring 1.4 grams of protein to make 1 gram of glucose. As an emergency process, it is a good thing, as it will keep you alive if you don't eat enough carbohydrate or have enough glycogen. But I think it generates a lot of ammonia and toxic byproducts. Not to mention, you are turning your muscles (and potentially vital organs) into sugar. Relying heavily on it is certainly a bad thing

I recently saw that quote, and he was talking about that in the context of liver health and caffeine consumption. I have been re-reading his posts on caffeine a lot, and he's very clear that you should always take it with sugar (be that sugared coffee, or black coffee with a meal, or what have you). In this context, I think this would be a sort of "less bad" situation. In other words-

Caffeine plus sugar and/or adequate glycogen- Good!

Caffeine without adequate sugar/glycogen, but with good liver function- Sub-optimal, but okay.

Caffeine without adequate sugar/glycogen and with poor liver function- Bad, will cause stress reaction.
+1 Caffeine !!!!!!!!

tankasnowgod

Got it ! So gluconeogenesis for survival ! Thanks for the article. I apologize if my question was not fully understood. You said "Muscle burns mostly fat at rest". Do you have the name of that process ? How a muscle can "excrete" pufa stored ? If its not oxydised then it goes to the urine ? Or just convert into something else ? Heat ?

If you are talking about muscle burning fat at rest, that's simply FAO. The liver will also glucuronadate fat to allow it to be excreted in the urine. Maybe "Glucuronidation" is the term you were looking for?

Mr Joe

If you are talking about muscle burning fat at rest, that's simply FAO. The liver will also glucuronadate fat to allow it to be excreted in the urine. Maybe "Glucuronidation" is the term you were looking for?
Haha no i think the term was... simply FAO. But since i've read that "oxydating PUFA is not a good thing and let muscles do the job is saffer" i came to the conclusion that muscles are using probably another way to get ride of Pufa. So if i had to resume : Working on MAINLY FAO for generating energy for brain and body is harmful but since even with high metabolism (High sugar oxydative pathway) FAO will still occur at "little concentration" it would be saffer. Slow and safe way to burn PUFA. I'm i right guys ?

Elie

Forum Supporter
Wonder if there is a way to optimize glucuronidation and is it a strategy in supporting weight loss?

Mr Joe

Wonder if there is a way to optimize glucuronidation and is it a strategy in supporting weight loss?

Glucuronidation depends mostly on the quality of the liver. So anything that increase liver will increase Glucuro. Taurine, Glycine, Niacinamide, Caffeine as supplement, reducing stress hormones (Cortisol/ Prolactin) that destroy liver.

Elie

Forum Supporter
Glucuronidation depends mostly on the quality of the liver. So anything that increase liver will increase Glucuro. Taurine, Glycine, Niacinamide, Caffeine as supplement, reducing stress hormones (Cortisol/ Prolactin) that destroy liver.
Thank you. No specific cofactors required?