Exercise and Daily Activity with a Weighted Vest

Nick

I do think the folks at GOATA have the gait cycle figured out better than the functional patterns, and there's more of their stuff available without paying for a coach. As far as compession, a main focus of GOATA is decompression of the spine and all the joint capsules and yet they do say a weighted vest is a good way to add resistance to build strength in walking and in various gait related exercises. Although they would probably say fixing the movement patterns without added weight first is important.

Two things in particular to counter compression that doesn't require buying an inversion table would be hanging from a pullup bar or branch and child/quadruped rockers:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNCpz0-Uqqs

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I agree, the squat is most the single most important strength to keep as we age. Getting in and out of a tub, a low slung car, or just the simple rising from a chair using the core and quads correctly without some sort of assistance. Picking up things dropped, fastening boots and shoes, cleaning, or stocking and retrieving items in lower cubbards. Squat strength prevents the proverbial tip-over-loss-of- balance-whoaaaaa which you never want to happen on steps. I believe from my experience as a bodybuilder in fitness contest 2014, that my quad strength has served me above and beyond most of the population my age, these 8 years. Your vest will serve you well.
Thank you! I noticed I started having a more difficult time maintaining strength once I hit menopause so I think it’s definitely good to be mindful preserving muscles and bones!

SamYo123

I agree, the squat is most the single most important strength to keep as we age. Getting in and out of a tub, a low slung car, or just the simple rising from a chair using the core and quads correctly without some sort of assistance. Picking up things dropped, fastening boots and shoes, cleaning, or stocking and retrieving items in lower cubbards. Squat strength prevents the proverbial tip-over-loss-of- balance-whoaaaaa which you never want to happen on steps. I believe from my experience as a bodybuilder in fitness contest 2014, that my quad strength has served me above and beyond most of the population my age, these 8 years. Your vest will serve you well.
These no way the squat is priority for survival, your gait cycle is

the quality of ur movement will dictate how you age with gravity

if you improve the quality of ur gait mechanics you will be able to deep squat without problems, however a deep squat wont be improving ur gait

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
You say "strength, flexibility and functionality as I age. "

prioritizing your gaitcycle is the foundation of that

How you stand,walk, run and throw is more important than doing a deep squat

Ignore everything and do FP and you'll understand
Thank you! I just assumed I was doing all those correctly.

Peachy

Thanks for all the input everyone. I truly appreciate each and every comment. I’m certainly mindful of being balanced literally and physically and not compulsively exercising or over training but at the same time I really enjoy and feel benefits from putting on my vest and going for a walk in nature through the woods and fields. I mainly want to preserve my strength, flexibility and functionality as I age.

On another topic what do y’all think about the ability to do a deep squat? I was squatting down reading a label on something on the bottom shelf at the store and a lady commented to me that she doesn’t normally see anyone over 30 who can squat down like that?!?!

I’ve heard squatting well is a marker of good health as we age, so go you!

Side note - it’s very important for survival. Pooping, birthing 😄

baccheion

I think bone loss is more related to cortisol. Sustained-release melatonin, DHEA, net alkaline PRAL, meeting all RDAs, and resistance training 2x/week would nicely buffer.

2 : 1 : 2 : 8 : 4 calcium:magnesium:phosphorus:potassium:sodium, for example, especially when phosphorus is 800-1200 mg.

Male-biased, though, and not as Peaty.

akgrrrl

These no way the squat is priority for survival, your gait cycle is

the quality of ur movement will dictate how you age with gravity

if you improve the quality of ur gait mechanics you will be able to deep squat without problems, however a deep squat wont be improving ur gait
Since I am housebound Oct to April unable to WALK on ice or snow because of reconstructed wrists, forearm, and crushed/collapsed cervicals, "gait cycle" is moot. It is, however, critical for core strengths like squatting, to perform daily tasks throughout my ten rooms where space is limited, movement is restricted, but utilized to advantage with wrist, leg, and belt weights.

Peatful

I think bone loss is more related to cortisol. Sustained-release melatonin, DHEA, net alkaline PRAL, meeting all RDAs, and resistance training 2x/week would nicely buffer.

2 : 1 : 2 : 8 : 4 calcium:magnesium:phosphorus:potassium:sodium, for example, especially when phosphorus is 800-1200 mg.

Male-biased, though, and not as Peaty.
I like this from Josh Rubin:

Another key factor when talking about bone loss is iron, more so iron recycling. Remember that certain minerals, especially ceruloplasmin are the KEY factor when it comes to iron recycling in the enterocytes, hepatocytes, spleen, RBC and bone marrow.

According to Messer, J.G. Et al. 2009, iron overload in the body had a toxic effect on osteoblasts, gave rise to osteoporosis by inhibiting osteoblast proliferation and differentiation, and increased osteoclastogenesis.

Iron overload inhibits osteoblastogenesis, a process that is required to maintain bone turnover. In addition, iron uptake into osteoclasts promotes their differentiation and bone-resorbing activity. These findings have led researchers to postulate that iron overload contributes to osteoporosis.

Bone loss typically happens during menopause so what is the link? Suddenly women are not bleeding anymore and iron is building up in the body causing changes in osteoblasts, which prevents bones from maintaining their density. What does all this iron in the body cause? It causes OXIDATIVE STRESS!

👉🏻Increase in iron = increased oxidative stress = decrease osteoblast = decreased bone density = Osteoporosis❗

Most cry estrogen dominance but remember this, it's not low its not bio-avaialbe. And what's underlying this is still excess iron wreaking havoc in a women’s body preventing bone regeneration.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I’ve heard squatting well is a marker of good health as we age, so go you!

Side note - it’s very important for survival. Pooping, birthing 😄
Good point! :hilarious:
I like this from Josh Rubin:

Another key factor when talking about bone loss is iron, more so iron recycling. Remember that certain minerals, especially ceruloplasmin are the KEY factor when it comes to iron recycling in the enterocytes, hepatocytes, spleen, RBC and bone marrow.

According to Messer, J.G. Et al. 2009, iron overload in the body had a toxic effect on osteoblasts, gave rise to osteoporosis by inhibiting osteoblast proliferation and differentiation, and increased osteoclastogenesis.

Iron overload inhibits osteoblastogenesis, a process that is required to maintain bone turnover. In addition, iron uptake into osteoclasts promotes their differentiation and bone-resorbing activity. These findings have led researchers to postulate that iron overload contributes to osteoporosis.

Bone loss typically happens during menopause so what is the link? Suddenly women are not bleeding anymore and iron is building up in the body causing changes in osteoblasts, which prevents bones from maintaining their density. What does all this iron in the body cause? It causes OXIDATIVE STRESS!

👉🏻Increase in iron = increased oxidative stress = decrease osteoblast = decreased bone density = Osteoporosis❗

Most cry estrogen dominance but remember this, it's not low its not bio-avaialbe. And what's underlying this is still excess iron wreaking havoc in a women’s body preventing bone regeneration.
Thank you, my last iron panel looked really good.

On another topic what do y’all think about the ability to do a deep squat? I was squatting down reading a label on something on the bottom shelf at the store and a lady commented to me that she doesn’t normally see anyone over 30 who can squat down like that?!?!
Only partially related but worth mentioning I think...

View: https://youtu.be/MWbSJ2FtE5M

I've been doing this get-up-and-down-off-the-floor thing with varied movement restrictions on some days for 50-60 reps. Takes me about 15-20 minutes. I find it rather thoughtless, however it's also uniquely invigorating.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Only partially related but worth mentioning I think...

View: https://youtu.be/MWbSJ2FtE5M

I've been doing this get-up-and-down-off-the-floor thing with varied movement restrictions on some days for 50-60 reps. Takes me about 15-20 minutes. I find it rather thoughtless, however it's also uniquely invigorating.

This is awesome and practical. I remember a point 6 years ago when I had trouble standing up from a sitting position at the side of the pool. My husband noticed too and it was quite concerning. I was only 46 and knew I needed to do something.

akgrrrl

This is awesome and practical. I remember a point 6 years ago when I had trouble standing up from a sitting position at the side of the pool. My husband noticed too and it was quite concerning. I was only 46 and knew I needed to do something.
Now. Try doing this without wrists like I have to do.

Old Irenaeus

A

Adf

Weighted vests are great in my opinion, for exercise such as high rep squats or cardio squats, or a good walk. They're excellent tools to lose weight too. I don't know if long term use (as in wearing it for extended periods throughout the day) would have a positive or negative effect though. I would assume it would strengthen the bones but possibly if you have existing imbalances or posture issues it could make things worse. I, for example have scoliosis, so I would be worried about causing further imbalances.

+ 1 on the inversion table recommendation. I use an inversion table myself and with some light 5 pound dumbbells. I do the same motion as doing a chin-up, just upside down with light dumbbells'. This helps me train my uneven back muscles in the stretched position and has helped me greatly with my scoliosis.

akgrrrl

Weighted vests are great in my opinion, for exercise such as high rep squats or cardio squats, or a good walk. They're excellent tools to lose weight too. I don't know if long term use (as in wearing it for extended periods throughout the day) would have a positive or negative effect though. I would assume it would strengthen the bones but possibly if you have existing imbalances or posture issues it could make things worse. I, for example have scoliosis, so I would be worried about causing further imbalances.

+ 1 on the inversion table recommendation. I use an inversion table myself and with some light 5 pound dumbbells. I do the same motion as doing a chin-up, just upside down with light dumbbells'. This helps me train my uneven back muscles in the stretched position and has helped me greatly with my scoliosis.
This dumbell work upside down is brilliant. Scoliosis me too so here I go to try it. Thanks

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Does anyone have an opinion on barefoot shoes? I prefer them personally.

Peatful

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals