Could nutrition be secondary to motion?

Summer

I’ve had a breakthrough recently and would like to share my experience in the hopes that it could be helpful to someone.

I’ve tried tweaking my nutrition so many times over the years in hopes that it would troubleshoot my laundry list of issues:

fatigue, brain fog, poor digestion, cold extremities, hair loss etc.

The carrot salad honestly did nothing for me. I’m always amazed when reading others’ testimonials on here regarding various foods and supplements. Coffee, K2, aspirin, cyproheptadine, (insert any food or supplement here) changed everything. No food or supplement ever had such an effect on me.

One thing about me is that I’ve been such a lazy, unmotivated person for many years. Due to an injury that hasn’t resolved after 4 years, most of my exercise comes from walking to and from my car for work and a couple weekly 10-minute walks around my apartment complex when the weather is nice enough.

I know many here aren’t fans but I watch Frank Tufano pretty regularly. I think he’s at least more knowledgeable than many other nutrition YouTubers. He certainly is leaning towards the Peat side lately hahah. Anyways this isn’t about nutrition. Frank mentioned that someone told him to use a trampoline when he isn’t feeling well as the motions help drain the lymphatic system.

To get to my point, I’ve been making an effort to not be so stationary but in a specific way. Walking isn’t enough. I don’t think many strength-building exercises are enough either, although they certainly are beneficial for the lymphatic system. I don’t have a trampoline but Frank mentioned jumping jacks as a potential alternative so I’ve been doing those. However, the most important thing that has helped me, even though it’s a bit embarrassing for me: dancing!

I have the luxury of working in a room by myself with a standing desk. I’ve been dancing like an absolute lunatic and my digestion is so much better. The up and down motions along with moving the whole body I think are the most important aspect. No food, no supplement, no amount of hydration has ever done this for me in a consistent manner.

TLDR: up-and-down motions have done more for me than nutrition for digestion and overall wellness. Not saying nutrition isn’t important though! Just 2nd on my list.

I’ve had a breakthrough recently and would like to share my experience in the hopes that it could be helpful to someone.

I’ve tried tweaking my nutrition so many times over the years in hopes that it would troubleshoot my laundry list of issues:

The carrot salad honestly did nothing for me. I’m always amazed when reading others’ testimonials on here regarding various foods and supplements. Coffee, K2, aspirin, cyproheptadine, (insert any food or supplement here) changed everything. No food or supplement ever had such an effect on me.

One thing about me is that I’ve been such a lazy, unmotivated person for many years. Due to an injury that hasn’t resolved after 4 years, most of my exercise comes from walking to and from my car for work and a couple weekly 10-minute walks around my apartment complex when the weather is nice enough.

I know many here aren’t fans but I watch Frank Tufano pretty regularly. I think he’s at least more knowledgeable than many other nutrition YouTubers. He certainly is leaning towards the Peat side lately hahah. Anyways this isn’t about nutrition. Frank mentioned that someone told him to use a trampoline when he isn’t feeling well as the motions help drain the lymphatic system.

To get to my point, I’ve been making an effort to not be so stationary but in a specific way. Walking isn’t enough. I don’t think many strength-building exercises are enough either, although they certainly are beneficial for the lymphatic system. I don’t have a trampoline but Frank mentioned jumping jacks as a potential alternative so I’ve been doing those. However, the most important thing that has helped me, even though it’s a bit embarrassing for me: dancing!

I have the luxury of working in a room by myself with a standing desk. I’ve been dancing like an absolute lunatic and my digestion is so much better. The up and down motions along with moving the whole body I think are the most important aspect. No food, no supplement, no amount of hydration has ever done this for me in a consistent manner.

TLDR: up-and-down motions have done more for me than nutrition for digestion and overall wellness. Not saying nutrition isn’t important though! Just 2nd on my list.
I believe motion is equal to nutrition. I think, like your jumping Jack's and dancing, using as many muscles as possible is great advice!

I've been thinking about getting back into jumping rope again, which should at least be on par with your dancing. The problem is, it's hard to find the motivation to be very physically active like that when your health is trash. Chicken and egg situation. I can do it, but I have to force myself. Feeling the desire for physical activity is a sign of great health. I remember when I felt the urge to go out and run every evening. Hasn't happened in years now... oh well.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter

That is really great! Do you listen to music while you work? Jumping jacks and skipping rope aren't easy on hard surfaces. But dancing can fit into any space.

I've been thinking about getting back into jumping rope again, which should at least be on par with your dancing. The problem is, it's hard to find the motivation to be very physically active like that when your health is trash. Chicken and egg situation. I can do it, but I have to force myself. Feeling the desire for physical activity is a sign of great health. I remember when I felt the urge to go out and run every evening. Hasn't happened in years now... oh well.

I am with you, exercise needs to be fun for me to want to do it. My girlfriend and I use to have so much fun with the Wii Dance Revolution pad. I think I am gonna get that out again for some indoor fun!

View: https://youtu.be/rB-U82yMIeI

OP
Summer

Summer

Yes definitely motivation is key. For me, I want to look and feel youthful again. Jump rope is a great idea!
That is really great! Do you listen to music while you work? Jumping jacks and skipping rope aren't easy on hard surfaces. But dancing can fit into any space.
That’s a really good point. I try not to do very many jumping jacks due to that very reason. I recently got into vaporwave so that’s what I’ve been dancing to. Anything with a good beat and bassline!
I am with you, exercise needs to be fun for me to want to do it. My girlfriend and I use to have so much fun with the Wii Dance Revolution pad. I think I am gonna get that out again for some indoor fun!

View: https://youtu.be/rB-U82yMIeI

Yes! Wii made exercise fun for sure back in the day. For me it was Wii boxing ?

Yes definitely motivation is key. For me, I want to look and feel youthful again. Jump rope is a great idea!

That’s a really good point. I try not to do very many jumping jacks due to that very reason. I recently got into vaporwave so that’s what I’ve been dancing to. Anything with a good beat and bassline!

Yes! Wii made exercise fun for sure back in the day. For me it was Wii boxing ?
I saw this one this morning, and it looks fun, with the guy in the video punching fruit that's moving above him!

View: https://youtu.be/tIWLZ7-ZjWI

YourUniverse

I think of specific muscular contractions as nutrients. This is the basis for why things like qigong are so effective at making people healthier, I think. The limbs, neck and torso are moved slowly through patterns that most people simply rarely if ever perform, maybe in their whole lives.

OP
Summer

Summer

What a legend!
I saw this one this morning, and it looks fun, with the guy in the video punching fruit that's moving above him!

View: https://youtu.be/tIWLZ7-ZjWI

If I didn’t live upstairs, I would so get this.
I think of specific muscular contractions as nutrients. This is the basis for why things like qigong are so effective at making people healthier, I think. The limbs, neck and torso are moved slowly through patterns that most people simply rarely if ever perform, maybe in their whole lives.
I think you’re right. I guess you could say there’s an epidemic of rigidity.

dfspcc20

I definitely think it's plausible that movement can help in ways that go beyond the usual mechanistic view.

Via AMN Academy. No affiliation, I just like their content.

Let's consider movement in a more holistic way

We are electric: Any movement generates Piezoelectricity

Piezoelectricity is electric charge generated via mechanical deformation. In our bodies, Bone Keratin, Elastin, Ligaments, Collagen in tendons, Fascia, Hyaluronic acid, some Amino Acids, Actin and Myosin of the muscle fibres, DNA, and even the Pineal gland all show Piezoelectric properties

Our muscles are not dumb pieces of tissue which simply lengthen and shorten when told to. They are electrically entangled with our organs, which are electrically and chemically entangled with our emotions

If you step back and look at the body in a holistic way, you realise that everything is interconnected

The concept of movement should transcend the elliptical machine or the treadmill, or pumping weights in the gym...

1646516734452.png

GreekDemiGod

I think getting thyroid working for you and figuring out the right dosages and use patterns should be number 1 priority for hypothyroid folks.
The other metabolic substances have their role and it's tempting to experiment with them, but should not be number 1 priority, you will keep spinning your wheels this way. They might work temporarily and give you a boost, but if you want lasting changes, that's gonna come from either proper thyroid dosing or a major lifestyle change.

Makrosky

Doesn't surprise me the slightest. Congrarulations! Whole body movement is absolutely necessary. If you think about it not moving is a recent invention of the last 70 years or so and only in the west.

Bogdar

Very good thread and idea and experience -
from my experience it has kinda been the same as well
Nutrition works really well to give me the first energy spark to unsedate me and to move, but then moving is mandatory to keep the energy, « vibe », flow high

I can eat as perfectly as I can, if I don’t move my **** away from my computer for too long (days) I’ll be dooming

-Luke-

Katy Bowman probably had it right when she named her website "Nutritious Movement".

I definitely notice different effects from movement. Some dynamic stretching in the morning just makes me feel better throughout the day, it's hard to explain. Short sprints make me feel warm and energetic, even though I get a stress reaction if I overdo it. Stretching or Yoga calms me down. If I work a lot on the computer, I try to get up and move around a little for about 5 minutes every hour or so. Without the right movement I just feel more sluggish.

Here is all the ways your body breaks down laying around too much....

liber1

When I follow a functional patterns approach to exercise I feel my best mentally and physically. I have a thorough history of endurance exercise and powerlifting and the dance like motions of functional patterns always provide some positive feeling. If we consider the fascial networks as the Anatomy Trains lays them out and how these lines of pull go around our organs, providing some squeezing and massaging I’m sure, we could assume that the more “thorough” a motion is in terms of natural full body movement, the more likely it is to also benefit the other body systems as well as skeletal muscles.

YourUniverse

When I follow a functional patterns approach to exercise I feel my best mentally and physically. I have a thorough history of endurance exercise and powerlifting and the dance like motions of functional patterns always provide some positive feeling. If we consider the fascial networks as the Anatomy Trains lays them out and how these lines of pull go around our organs, providing some squeezing and massaging I’m sure, we could assume that the more “thorough” a motion is in terms of natural full body movement, the more likely it is to also benefit the other body systems as well as skeletal muscles.
Agree, well put

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals