Dietary Oils Management

OP
Ell

Ell

I know what you mean! I sent a screenshot last week to......and two steps back or just get worse!
Ja, people will always want to legitimately discuss issues of the day, mandates, politics, minerals, sheep livers, etc. haha. But its usually good I think if we can inspire a little spark in someone's mind. Its cool to see ppl from all over the globe sharing experiences, thoughts, etc.

Ja, people will always want to legitimately discuss issues of the day, mandates, politics, minerals, sheep livers, etc. haha. But its usually good I think if we can inspire a little spark in someone's mind. Its cool to see ppl from all over the globe sharing experiences, thoughts, etc.

I like that part too! People have concerns and it is good we can all get first hand answers to questions about world concerns and not have to trust the sensored medias. I just don't like people on the site acting like doctors with all the suppliments and medications. That is my biggest gripe. Trust me Ell a little enjoyment in the PUFA department isn't a crime and thankfully Ray Peat has armed us with ways to minimize any damage. I just ordered some whole sardines this morning, packed in olive oil and intend to fry them up in some refined coconut oil to offset their PUFA's. I love that avoiding PUFA's all these years has me out in the sun for hours without sunscreen or sun burning, and I am a true blonde so that is some amazing results! So i can't go too crazy on the PUFA's. I am anxious to try your Poppy seed oil though. What ways do you use it? Do you put it on your bagel in lieu of butter?

I love this e-mail from Ray Peat that Mr Bollox posted and is to my earlier point, "Occasionally, phobic ideas about nutrients circulate, including places like the raypeatforum, and milk phobia seems to be a chronic cultural problem."

OP
Ell

Ell

I like that part too! People have concerns and it is good we can all get first hand answers to questions about world concerns and not have to trust the sensored medias. I just don't like people on the site acting like doctors with all the suppliments and medications. That is my biggest gripe. Trust me Ell a little enjoyment in the PUFA department isn't a crime and thankfully Ray Peat has armed us with ways to minimize any damage. I just ordered some whole sardines this morning, packed in olive oil and intend to fry them up in some refined coconut oil to offset their PUFA's. I love that avoiding PUFA's all these years has me out in the sun for hours without sunscreen or sun burning, and I am a true blonde so that is some amazing results! So i can't go too crazy on the PUFA's. I am anxious to try your Poppy seed oil though. What ways do you use it? Do you put it on your bagel in lieu of butter?
That's heaviliy awesome ! A long long time ago on the old Peat forum, I think we brought up a theory about how the damaged oils (heated pufas) might have a tendency to accumulate together in parts of the skin, and that this is what gives rise to "age spots", they are actually "totallyl sunned" areas of bad oils in the skin. The idea was to find old people having fewer age spots and inquire about their diet. Pufa's are definitely powerful stuff, I know of one combination which is effective at amounts as small as 30 mg and sometimes 20 mg. It is a surprising result to see such tiny amounts have huge effects, but then a lit. investigation reveals a lot of work in this area. Lipid peroxides are always talked about as being bad bad bad, but nature is smart and if we can make peroxides explode in the lab upon the slightest provocation, then I think I'm fairly certain that nature has even a better use for tht power, in maybe destroying pathogens. I bet its super elegant, molecular bombs going off in an attempt to pierce a membrane..... :)

That's heaviliy awesome ! A long long time ago on the old Peat forum, I think we brought up a theory about how the damaged oils (heated pufas) might have a tendency to accumulate together in parts of the skin, and that this is what gives rise to "age spots", they are actually "totallyl sunned" areas of bad oils in the skin. The idea was to find old people having fewer age spots and inquire about their diet. Pufa's are definitely powerful stuff, I know of one combination which is effective at amounts as small as 30 mg and sometimes 20 mg. It is a surprising result to see such tiny amounts have huge effects, but then a lit. investigation reveals a lot of work in this area. Lipid peroxides are always talked about as being bad bad bad, but nature is smart and if we can make peroxides explode in the lab upon the slightest provocation, then I think I'm fairly certain that nature has even a better use for tht power, in maybe destroying pathogens. I bet its super elegant, molecular bombs going off in an attempt to pierce a membrane..... :)

To your point even Ray Peat says a little olive oil on his carrot salad recommendation can be helpful.

Last edited:

Jam

To your point even Ray Peat says a little olive oil on his carrot salad recommendation can be helpful.
Olive oil has relatively little PUFA, as it is not a seed oil. The polyphenols and anti-oxidants, and not the PUFA, in olive oil are why Ray recommends it on salad.

Olive oil has relatively little PUFA, as it is not a seed oil. The polyphenols and anti-oxidants, and not the PUFA, in olive oil are why Ray recommends it on salad.

Yeah he doesn't like the seed or nut oils, except macadamia oil. I have not found one yet though that doesn't taste rancid.

Jam

Or destroy your endothelium.

OP
Ell

Ell

I look at olive oil as a source of oleic, but there's already sooo much oleic out there in other sources, I don't concern over an oleic shortage :) The most flavourfull olive oil I ever had was from Lebanon. OMG !! I saw you wrote about macadamias, I seem to recall they contain exclusively oleic acid. It's an oddity in nature for a nut to have only a single lipid in it !!!!!!!!

OP
Ell

Ell

No, you have to think smaller than that. Imagine you are orbiting the moon, and the exploding pufas are like 10,000 points of light across the surface as if 10,000 meteors had hit it, each one making only a tiny insignificant flash in and of itself - but when considered as an ensemble it lights up the whole sky.

I look at olive oil as a source of oleic, but there's already sooo much oleic out there in other sources, I don't concern over an oleic shortage :) The most flavourfull olive oil I ever had was from Lebanon. OMG !! I saw you wrote about macadamias, I seem to recall they contain exclusively oleic acid. It's an oddity in nature for a nut to have only a single lipid in it !!!!!!!!

I don't concern myself with picking apart my PUFA's too much either. I just go with the overall weighing if it is worth the splurge or not and proceed accordingly. Do you know what brand of olive oil that was from Lebanon?

OP
Ell

Ell

If I can plant an olive and it grows into a tree, in my country it is considered a seed. If you make oil from that seed, it is considered a seed oil. Hahaha, let us dare someone to try to answer the simple question: "What is a seed ?" Probably, ask a 7 year old for the best answer :)

Jam

If I can plant an olive and it grows into a tree, in my country it is considered a seed. If you make oil from that seed, it is considered a seed oil. Hahaha, let us dare someone to try to answer the simple question: "What is a seed ?" Probably, ask a 7 year old for the best answer :)
If you plant a peach and out grows a tree, is a peach a seed? A peach is a fruit which contains a seed. Olives too are fruits which contain a seed. Olive oil is made with the pulp of the olive, the seed is discarded.

OP
Ell

Ell

I don't concern myself with picking apart my PUFA's too much either. I just go with the overall weighing if it is worth the splurge or not and proceed accordingly. Do you know what brand of olive oil that was from Lebanon?

yep, most of it's common sense. I went waayyy long the education path and am so glad for it, but in the end the bottom line is that info has to be communicated to ppl in a way they can use in their every day routine, otherwise, they are being asked to change their "habit", which is set in stone like EEPROM info !! How do ya tell yer kid all this complicated stuff ? Ya dont ! The best teacher is nature ! So, a statement to the kiddos like "Eat as close to Nature as you can." gives them more useful info than the combined info of many academics ! But ya gots to admit, pufa chemistry is just. so. cool....... !! They conduct free radicals a zillion times before we can blink our eye. Let's also look at similar structures someday if we have time, like the polyunsaturated tail portions of the K-series of vitamins and also the toco pherols and toco trienols. In greek, pherol is bringer and toco is child. Major impacts on fertility of the E Vits, long known. Small amounts of WGO have been documented zillions of times as beneficial to inc. in female diet, it works kinda like magic, really. Powerful stuff, if used right !

yep, most of it's common sense. I went waayyy long the education path and am so glad for it, but in the end the bottom line is that info has to be communicated to ppl in a way they can use in their every day routine, otherwise, they are being asked to change their "habit", which is set in stone like EEPROM info !! How do ya tell yer kid all this complicated stuff ? Ya dont ! The best teacher is nature ! So, a statement to the kiddos like "Eat as close to Nature as you can." gives them more useful info than the combined info of many academics ! But ya gots to admit, pufa chemistry is just. so. cool....... !! They conduct free radicals a zillion times before we can blink our eye. Let's also look at similar structures someday if we have time, like the polyunsaturated tail portions of the K-series of vitamins and also the toco pherols and toco trienols. In greek, pherol is bringer and toco is child. Major impacts on fertility of the E Vits, long known. Small amounts of WGO have been documented zillions of times as beneficial to inc. in female diet, it works kinda like magic, really. Powerful stuff, if used right !

You are WAY better at breaking down the science of it all than I. I am really good at making it all taste good! ?

OP
Ell

Ell

If you plant a peach and out grows a tree, is a peach a seed? A peach is a fruit which contains a seed. Olives too are fruits which contain a seed. Olive oil is made with the pulp of the olive, the seed is discarded.
Yes.

OP
Ell

Ell

You are WAY better at breaking down the science of it all than I. I am really good at making it all taste good! ?
ok, here's one for ya, crunch on a piece of broccoli a few seconds, and then bite into a brazil nut and chomp it up together ............ new awesome flavour !!!!! A creative chef can do a lot with that thought !!

ok, here's one for ya, crunch on a piece of broccoli a few seconds, and then bite into a brazil nut and chomp it up together ............ new awesome flavour !!!!! A creative chef can do a lot with that thought !!

Is the broccoli cooked? I am still wondering what all you Poppy seed oil on.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals