Essential Oils - Inhaling

LeeLemonoil

I'm very interested in EOs, currently for endotoxin (therefore digestion) . I'm concerned about the estrogen issue and it would be good to put our heads together to get clarity on a safe list, but going by symptoms, my experiences with oregano and orange oil suggest they're not affecting me that way. Orange totally sorted sinus by the way, and I had a great sense of well being. I'm ordering organic next time. I'll take orally because of the gut benefits but may try nebulizing too.

Re lavender, I think it was on One Radio Network 20/1/2020, Peat said it is endocrine disrupting even in small quantities and can cause hermaphroditism. Shocking for an oil often described as very safe. I used it for years and did not know this so maybe even while pregnant. I also love peppermint for cooling effects in lip balm and skin sprays but pretty sure they're known to be estrogenic.

It’s shocking that Peat repeats this untrue myth originating from a faulty observation of an MD.
Robert Tisserand and others have debunked this myth concludently. It shows only one thing, that Peat is completely clueless in regards to terpenes and terpenoids.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

It’s shocking that Peat repeats this untrue myth originating from a faulty observation of an MD.
Robert Tisserand and others have debunked this myth concludently. It shows only one thing, that Peat is completely clueless in regards to terpenes and terpenoids.
That's good to hear. I wonder if you could send some links our way so it can put some clarity on this issue.

Even before you posted, I was going to say that the amount of oil being used for aromatherapy, at around say 6 drops, is so small, even if that's done daily. A week would just be 42 drops, and that would just be barely above 2 ml, or roughly 2 grams. I don't know if this is going to be that much of a concern, as the benefits of plant polyphenols are there, and to turn away from these benefits would be a mistake.

SQu

Well I'd be relieved if so, but would like Peat to put EOs high on his wishlist for in depth exploration. You know a lot, LeeLemonoil, and you do post on them a lot, but it's a big field with so much to learn. What I know is frustratingly little. So many sites are a waste of time when it comes to the level of depth that people like us want. I'm sure lots of people would love your thoughts on as many of the possible oils, uses and methods as possible.

Christoph

Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 10.12.05.png

I can't find the nebulizer I bought either. When I click to see the product page, it gives me an error. Obviously it's been discontinued on Amazon. This looks like the replacement for that particular unit:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082R79RYX/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_sAysEbSRTSWR3

It's just an air compressor with plastic tubing to the cheap plastic hand-held nebulizer attachment. I have two of those attachments: one essential oils and another for Lugol's iodine. Once you have the compressor, it's $12.98 to get an additional nebulizing unit.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

View attachment 16690

I can't find the nebulizer I bought either. When I click to see the product page, it gives me an error. Obviously it's been discontinued on Amazon. This looks like the replacement for that particular unit:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082R79RYX/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_sAysEbSRTSWR3

It's just an air compressor with plastic tubing to the cheap plastic hand-held nebulizer attachment. I have two of those attachments: one essential oils and another for Lugol's iodine. Once you have the compressor, it's $12.98 to get an additional nebulizing unit.
That's good. Thanks a lot! I hope you can find those special oils, and if you do let me know. I'll do the same as well.

LUH 3417

I agree that lemon and sweet orange EOs are very safe. You can also put lavender in the same category.

My anecdotal observations are as follows: (1) Eucalyptus EO clears up the sinuses and lungs but cools me down, saving it for summer. (2) Peppermint EO is more effective than eucalyptus EO and warms up my hands and feet and is good before bed. (3) Clove bud EO, thyme EO, and cinnamon EO are potent, effective and more toxic than the others. I'm experimenting and collecting data. I'm going to try out some of the more exotic EOs that @yerrag mentioned (if I can find them).
I think in TCM peppermint is considered warming even tho it is a mint and mints are typically cooling in nature. I remember reading that peppermint is recommended even in “excess cold” or “damp” conditions for this reason.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I ended up buying this unit. It's a small and handy unit, and very quiet. It can run on USB or on two AA batteries. I used my Eneloop rechargeable batteries and it worked pretty well. It can't run well when I used distilled water, as it just shuts off quickly. The sensor detects if there's too low TDS (total dissolved solids) in the water, and won't let the unit run. There is a detachable container for the liquid, which holds 8 ml of water. There is a hinged cover with a latch which is weak though. After leaving the container latched overnight, the hinge broke. Everything else works well. I just have to put a little pressure on the cover to keep the contents sealed as I inhale.

Shown is the adult mask for nose breathing. There's also a child mask, and a mouthpiece. When the liquid is used up, the unit automatically turns off.

So far I've used turpentine; a blend called Warrior (from www.hopewelloils.com); coriander with ylang-ylang; and I'll try my blend of a drop each of cassia, blue gum eucalyptus, and tea tree. I just use 3 drops each time. Planning on using this 3x/day.
20200219_140134.jpg

Christoph

I ended up buying this unit. It's a small and handy unit, and very quiet. It can run on USB or on two AA batteries. I used my Eneloop rechargeable batteries and it worked pretty well. It can't run well when I used distilled water, as it just shuts off quickly. The sensor detects if there's too low TDS (total dissolved solids) in the water, and won't let the unit run. There is a detachable container for the liquid, which holds 8 ml of water. There is a hinged cover with a latch which is weak though. After leaving the container latched overnight, the hinge broke. Everything else works well. I just have to put a little pressure on the cover to keep the contents sealed as I inhale.

Shown is the adult mask for nose breathing. There's also a child mask, and a mouthpiece. When the liquid is used up, the unit automatically turns off.

So far I've used turpentine; a blend called Warrior (from www.hopewelloils.com); coriander with ylang-ylang; and I'll try my blend of a drop each of cassia, blue gum eucalyptus, and tea tree. I just use 3 drops each time. Planning on using this 3x/day.
View attachment 16705

Nice unit. Sounds like you're satisfied with it, and looks easy to use. I really like cold nebulizers because they're very flexible. You can use water-soluble and fat-soluble biochemicals in them. They also work well with fine suspensions.

I've just tried using Lugol's iodine for the past few days. It seems to be very effective for my sinuses. (I'm not afraid of iodine. I've been cycling through some very high amounts over the past two years. Very good results, I agree with @burtlancast regarding iodine). I'm also trying out tincture of green, Black Walnut hull from Dr. Clark's Store. It has high levels of a quinone called juglone, which I have not read about before. My current protocol is to alternate between Lugol's and green tincture. Good luck!

kaybb

Thanks for this post. I am trying to find good and safe oils. Also, my grand daughter is wanting them so the safer the better.

Vinny

[QUOTE="Christoph, post: 499261, member: ]

I've just tried using Lugol's iodine for the past few days. It seems to be very effective for my sinuses. (I'm not afraid of iodine. I've been cycling through some very high amounts over the past two years. Very good results, I agree with @burtlancast regarding iodine). I'm also trying out tincture of green, Black Walnut hull from Dr. Clark's Store. It has high levels of a quinone called juglone, which I have not read about before. My current protocol is to alternate between Lugol's and green tincture. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Would you share more about your experience with Lugol, @Christoph ? Like dosages, frequency, what you felt etc?
Thanks

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Nice unit. Sounds like you're satisfied with it, and looks easy to use. I really like cold nebulizers because they're very flexible. You can use water-soluble and fat-soluble biochemicals in them. They also work well with fine suspensions.

I've just tried using Lugol's iodine for the past few days. It seems to be very effective for my sinuses. (I'm not afraid of iodine. I've been cycling through some very high amounts over the past two years. Very good results, I agree with @burtlancast regarding iodine). I'm also trying out tincture of green, Black Walnut hull from Dr. Clark's Store. It has high levels of a quinone called juglone, which I have not read about before. My current protocol is to alternate between Lugol's and green tincture. Good luck!

The unit would have been perfect, except for the part where the medicine cup (which is the transparent plastic that sits on top of the unit, is so poorly designed and built.

The hinge broke overnight, and I used it as I can make do without the hinge. The second overnight the medicine cup cracked, and now leaks. So, it's time to return the unit.

A shame, as the rest of the unit is still working well. But for the shoddily built plastic part I had to return it.

I'll have to get one similar to the design you showed me. It's less sexy and handy (I hate the tube) but if the design is more robust and the unit will last long, I'll go for that.

And of course, this is another one of the China products, with an unknown brand, that hasn't been thoroughly vetted in Amazon's review system (which isn't perfect anyway but still very helpful). And I'm buying from a local site where the review system only allows for initial impressions but not for updates as the product gets really used over time.

Christoph

[QUOTE="Christoph, post: 499261, member: ]

Would you share more about your experience with Lugol, @Christoph ? Like dosages, frequency, what you felt etc?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

@Vinny, I'm going to post my experiences on an iodine thread.

Christoph

The unit would have been perfect, except for the part where the medicine cup (which is the transparent plastic that sits on top of the unit, is so poorly designed and built.

The hinge broke overnight, and I used it as I can make do without the hinge. The second overnight the medicine cup cracked, and now leaks. So, it's time to return the unit.

A shame, as the rest of the unit is still working well. But for the shoddily built plastic part I had to return it.

I'll have to get one similar to the design you showed me. It's less sexy and handy (I hate the tube) but if the design is more robust and the unit will last long, I'll go for that.

And of course, this is another one of the China products, with an unknown brand, that hasn't been thoroughly vetted in Amazon's review system (which isn't perfect anyway but still very helpful). And I'm buying from a local site where the review system only allows for initial impressions but not for updates as the product gets really used over time.

As simple as my nebulizer is, it's just a stand alone air compressor with an independent plastic tub that feeds into the nebulizing unit. Additional nebulizing units (some molded plastic crap), are just $13 US. I have one for water-soluble chemicals and one for oil soluble. When I first tried iodine in a nebulizing unit that was previously used for EOs, I noticed that the iodine rapidly reacted with the residual oil. That's why I now have two of them.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

As simple as my nebulizer is, it's just a stand alone air compressor with an independent plastic tub that feeds into the nebulizing unit. Additional nebulizing units (some molded plastic crap), are just $13 US. I have one for water-soluble chemicals and one for oil soluble. When I first tried iodine in a nebulizing unit that was previously used for EOs, I noticed that the iodine rapidly reacted with the residual oil. That's why I now have two of them.
That makes sense.

I began to look into the biocompatibility of the essential oils I used and it turns out that turpentine has a "severe effect" on polycarbonate. The medicine cup is made from what I suspect to be polycarbonate.

So, the supplier may be right in saying that I'm the only customer with such an issue, with the medicine falling apart in so short a time of usage.

So I should be mindful of these as I look for another nebulizer unit.

Christoph

That makes sense.

I began to look into the biocompatibility of the essential oils I used and it turns out that turpentine has a "severe effect" on polycarbonate. The medicine cup is made from what I suspect to be polycarbonate.

So, the supplier may be right in saying that I'm the only customer with such an issue, with the medicine falling apart in so short a time of usage.

So I should be mindful of these as I look for another nebulizer unit.

After months of experience, I'm less worried about terpenes/terpenoids reacting with plastic and rubber than I was. Both turpentine and D-limonene don't really seem to dissolve most plastics, but I haven't yet tried them with polycarbonate. My experience is that the polycarbonate is safe with the following EOs: eucalyptus, peppermint, lemon, clove and thyme. I'm going to watch this issue closely going forward. Thanks for the info.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

This chart shows that I'm going to have a hard time finding a good nebulizer: Chemical Resistance Chart | Plastics International

ABS, Polycarbonate, HDPE, Polyethylene all dissolve quickly exposed to turpentine. Not sure if other essential oils will fare differently, but a lot of them are terpenes.

I guess I'll just have to either rely on rubbing EOs on my palm and cupping my palms over my nose, as my flesh won't dissolve lol. Or just use my essential oil diffuser.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

edit

OP
yerrag

yerrag

This chart shows that I'm going to have a hard time finding a good nebulizer: Chemical Resistance Chart | Plastics International

ABS, Polycarbonate, HDPE, Polyethylene all dissolve quickly exposed to turpentine. Not sure if other essential oils will fare differently, but a lot of them are terpenes.

I guess I'll just have to either rely on rubbing EOs on my palm and cupping my palms over my nose, as my flesh won't dissolve lol. Or just use my essential oil diffuser.
@Christoph I know you said that you're less worried about the EOs reacting with the plastics and rubber, and I hope you're right. But my experience with the medicine cup ABS or polycarbonate material would give me pause. At the very least, it's good you're not using the kind of nebulizer I used. It seems all of them use ABS or polycarbonate for the medicine cup. As for the nebulizers with tubings, they're not as reactive it seems, but I still am wary of using them with EOs. I'm concerned that if I'm not sure of the type of material (be it plastic or rubber) used, there's the possibility that one or some of the EOs used could react with it, and then I could end up breathing in plastic or rubber vapor.

This is perhaps why there are no mask-type nebulizers being sold in the market intended for essential oil use. Perhaps the manufacturers don't want to be liable to any lawsuit. And maybe this is why all the essential oil nebulizers being sold is glass-based.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

This one stands out. It's the first plug-in waterless essential oil diffuser that can run on mains or on USB:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07LB9ZLY6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_SbhuEb15C8K39

It shoots out the vapor horizontally, and if I position it such that it shoots staight at my face, I can get a lot of the vapor coming out, so that unlike most diffusers, I get to capture the output in one 10-minute sitting. I can also plug it in my USB in the car and it becomes the air freshener in my car.

The only drawback I see is that you'll have to change the bottle each time you want to use another essential oil. But the bottle is just a standard EO bottle, so you're not hooked in to the bottle of the manufacturer.

It's only $15 as well. It has mized reviews though.

Since it runs on 110V, if I were using this, I'd use USB as my mains power is 220V.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

This is a glass nebulizer sold at Amazon with very good reviews and support. It even provides service and parts, but it seems to me it stands by the quality of the product. And unlike most units, it's made in Taiwan, which is an important distinction, as I've found that Taiwan-made products are high in quality, and it makes sense for Taiwan to distinguish itself from China quality, and they've actually been able to actually do it.

Still, it's glass and it's fragile, and I don't live in the US. And I don't really trust the units sold online in the Philippines. The make and quality of products being sold is rather dubious, and I'm less enticed if the price is low. I asked a seller "I had a problem with a nebulizer as the polycarbonate-based medicine cup dissolves with my use of essential oils, and I wonder what material your medicine cup is made of." Reply: Plastic. Frustrating. You just don't know if the seller cares, or the person answering is qualified at all to answer.

So, after so much time spent online and having tried one product, and not wanting to complicate matters on this subject, I'm just going to rub the EOs on my palm, and go back to breathing in the oils with my palms cupped over my nose. Enough said. KISS

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals