Hard To Find These Essential Oils - Any Leads?

This one is perfect! Seems to grow only in Brazil, the land of the Amazon jungle, where many herbs are yet to be discovered but from what I hear, it's under threat.
This one is not from Amazonas. It's from Brazilian Nord East.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

You will have to talk to the shops your self. I can get you some shops numbers from São Paulo they likely speak English and shipping from SP is much easier and cheaper than from the place I am.
Appreciate it. Funny though, Google has some sites to work on in Brazil, although it may be better for me to vpn in to Brazil to find these sites.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Seleniodine

Hi Jennifer, thanks for this info. Gives me something else to try with my little dog's periodontal issues.
Could you elaborate a bit on how you administered the Heal All tea to your dog? How much, how often, topical brushing on the teeth and gums, or in his food?
Thanks!

By chance, have you tried other herbs to overcome the bacteria? I ask because I had luck treating my dog's advanced periodontal disease (was so bad I could see the roots of his canines, multiple teeth were loose and he was scheduled to have at least 4 extracted) with an herbal formula called Heal All. Within a day of taking it, his chronic halitosis was gone and within months his teeth were firmly locked in his jaw and his gums had completely regenerated — the vet gave him a clean bill of health, completely forgetting that she had him scheduled to have teeth pulled. In case this may be of help, these are the herbs used in the formula:
  • White Oak Bark
  • Plantain Leaf
  • Pau d’Arco Bark
  • Juniper Berry
  • Chaparral Herb
  • Burdock Root
  • Marshmallow Root
  • Comfrey Root & Leaf
It's not just antimicrobial but also alkalizing and can be used as a mouth wash — held in the mouth for at least 5 minutes — and taken internally.

Hi Jennifer, thanks for this info. Gives me something else to try with my little dog's periodontal issues.
Could you elaborate a bit on how you administered the Heal All tea to your dog? How much, how often, topical brushing on the teeth and gums, or in his food?
Thanks!

I am interested too. Thank you @Jennifer

OP
yerrag

yerrag

This one looks like the japanese umbrella plant, which I have in my backyard. But, it''s cyperus scatiosus though.

On this link they say it's imported from India. Probably you can have it in SE Asia

From Priprioca Essential Oil - Óleos Essenciais | O Guia do Brasil

Written by Wagner Azambuja

Priprioca

The priprioca (Cyperus articulates) presents straight, smooth and triangular stalks, in the transversal section, usually presenting 30 to 43 cm height. With a fibrous root system, it has white, juice tubers when young, which change their color to brown or black as they grow older (when they get also more fibrous). When cut, these tubers release a delicious, woody and spicy fresh perfume. Its cultivation is usually in humid and hot places. It is considered an invader plant and its proximity to the tiririca a terrible weed, provokes some initial hesitation regarding its cultivation. However, the priprioca is less productive and competitive than the tiririca, once it does not spread when the conditions are not 100% favorable. Its fibers and rhizomes are used in handcraft, as besides its rich perfume, its products are not susceptible to mold, which might be due to antifungical properties of its essential oil.

Traditionally, pripioca has been cultivated together with the cassava, in areas where the secondary forest was burnt and ashes remain on the soil. It is one of the main aromatic plants sold in Pará State, whose commercialization mainly occurs in the market ‘Ver o peso’ in Belém.

The priprioca essential oil (pripioca oil) is extracted through steam distillation from its tubers and presents low oil yield, only 0,7% in average. It color is unusual, with an intriguing red shade, and its perfume is simply fantastic, one of the most sophisticated and complex known, with flowery and woody scents. With limited production, concentrated in the North of Brazil, it is an oil that started to be used recently, but that has been studied since the 60s, time when its first dinitrophenylhydrazones were identified. Its chemical composition is, in fact, very rich and presents great variety of elements, amongst which are the mustakone (9,8% to 14,5%), caryophyllene oxide (4,6% to 10,8%), alpha-pinene (5,7% to 12,3%), beta-pinene (4,2% to 6,6%), trans-pinocarveol (5,5% to 6,0%), myrtenal + myrtenol (5,8% to 6,3%), ledol (3,2% to 4,6%), cyperotundone (3,7% to 5,4%) and alpha-cyperone (1,4% to 5,9%). Regarding its applications, despite being proved as antifungical, this oil is seldom used in therapeutic and aromatherapy. Its massive use, and it could not be different, is in the fragrance industry, as its sophisticated perfume can provide a unique green flower scent to several products, such as cosmetics and luxury perfumes.

I guess this oil isn't that easily found because it's sold to the fragrance industry, and not to individual users. But it is from Brazil.

Found a Brazilian online shop: Óleo essencial de Priprioca

Last edited:

Waynish

1. Methylene Blue + Red Light destroy oral bacteria.
https://www.worldscientific.com/doi/abs/10.1142/S1793545811001745

This study talks about S. Mutans, but if I had to speculate, I would assume this is a general cytotoxic/antibiotic effect, not one just limited to S. Mutans.

2. As does Xylitol, so does Erythritol.
Xylitol Inhibits Inflammatory Cytokine Expression Induced by Lipopolysaccharide from Porphyromonas gingivalis

3. As does regular old Listerine (the alcoho"l kind, not the alcohol-free kind.)
The efficacy of antimicrobial mouth rinses in oral health care. - PubMed - NCBI

I know the Listerine brand may not seem like an objective source but: Biofilm Penetration vs CPC

https://www.listerineprofessional.com/sites/listerinepro_us/files/biofilm_listerine_vs_cpc.jpg

4. As does Metronidazole + Amoxicillin
Systemic antibiotic therapy in periodontics

Comparing the Antimicrobial In Vitro Efficacy of Amoxicillin/Metronidazole against Azithromycin—A Systematic Review

Instead of looking for these esoteric oils, maybe try simple, inexpensive and readily available remedies first?

What's that thing Occam used to shave with? ;)

Nice post. Apparently you can buy these light emitting toothbrushes here:
Bristl, Near infrared and UV Light Therapy Sonic Electric Toothbrush

Also, a useful quote from your reference #4: "When both types of drug are required, they are best given serially, not in combination, to avoid unfavourable interaction yet derive the benefit of both."

And for metronidazole combination in reference #4 - hopefully you there's a better combo drug for amoxicillin because: Metronidazole - Dose/duration?

Last edited:

Jam

Hi yerrag! I tried finding those essential oils (also tried via their common names) but had no luck. I have quite a few sites I get my essential oils from, but the closes I could find was verbena — a couple of the ones you have listed are part of the verbena family. By chance, have you tried other herbs to overcome the bacteria? I ask because I had luck treating my dog's advanced periodontal disease (was so bad I could see the roots of his canines, multiple teeth were loose and he was scheduled to have at least 4 extracted) with an herbal formula called Heal All. Within a day of taking it, his chronic halitosis was gone and within months his teeth were firmly locked in his jaw and his gums had completely regenerated — the vet gave him a clean bill of health, completely forgetting that she had him scheduled to have teeth pulled. In case this may be of help, these are the herbs used in the formula:
  • White Oak Bark
  • Plantain Leaf
  • Pau d’Arco Bark
  • Juniper Berry
  • Chaparral Herb
  • Burdock Root
  • Marshmallow Root
  • Comfrey Root & Leaf

Interesting. Do you know the ratios used in making the above formula? FYI, if ingesting this, the Chaparral and Comfrey should be aged (and possibly cooked, in the case of Comfrey) to get rid of the pyrrolizidine alkaloids. BTW, I love Chaparral and use it occasionally as a general tonic or to get rid of the rare cold. Juniper, Plantain and Pau d'Arco are also fantastic.

Jennifer

You're welcome, @Seleniodine and @ecstatichamster! :) I hope it helps! We started out using the Heal All tea on my dog (Bee) — about 1/4 cup in his food 3x a day then switched over to the Heal All glycerin tincture for convenience. For dosing the tincture, there's a guide on the back that goes by weight. Bee was a little guy, no more than 18lbs., so he got 1/4 of a dropper full 3x a day or 3/4 of a dropper full all at once (first thing in the morning) if we weren't going to be home to administer multiple doses.

We also had him on a whole foods diet made up of all his favorite foods that fit within Ray's diet recommendations for dogs, as well as Dr. Morse's, Dewitt's (a knowledgable member on the old Peatarian forum whose family raised German Shepherds) and info I found from this site:

Are Dogs Omnivores Or Carnivores? | No More Vet Bills

His diet consisted of both sweet and non-sweet fruit (melon, tropicals, apples, summer squash, pumpkin, cucumber), carrots, green beans, peas, baby lettuces, young coconut meat, coconut cream, sea scallops, eggs, and to drink, he loved raw Thai coconut water. He hated organ meat so that was out, we supplemented his diet with gelatin, and for a time were giving him eggshell powder but saw no improvements in his teeth so we switched to the Heal All.

@Jam — Thank you for the warning! I'll have to contact Our Botanicals or Dr. Morse's clinic to see if the Chaparral and Comfrey in his formula are aged. Unfortunately, I don't know the ratios in his formula. I just use equal parts.

Jennifer

The only herb that is missing from this formula is the All-Heal herb (Prunella Vulgaris) :D
Haha! Nice! I was big into collecting perennials from the time I was a teen until my mid twenties when I fractured so I had these massive perennial gardens and this was one I grew. Totally forgot about that.

Seleniodine

Great, thanks @Jennifer ! I will try the tincture. He is already on a decent diet, but that is an area where I can improve things with more fresh foods along with the tincture.
Cheers!

Literally

I have used an essential oil blend from OraWellnes for years. While it does not contain the exact oils mentioned by OP, it does seem to work well.

Also, just in case you are not aware, it's apparently not super hard to distill essential oils. From what I understand it is fairly easy to rig up a still. So there always the option of obtaining the herbs in whole form and making the oils yourself. You might be able to find someone with the right kind of still to do it for you. You need a lot of plant material to get a small amount of oil.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I have used an essential oil blend from OraWellnes for years. While it does not contain the exact oils mentioned by OP, it does seem to work well.

Also, just in case you are not aware, it's apparently not super hard to distill essential oils. From what I understand it is fairly easy to rig up a still. So there always the option of obtaining the herbs in whole form and making the oils yourself. You might be able to find someone with the right kind of still to do it for you. You need a lot of plant material to get a small amount of oil.

I can imagine that being done, if time weren't so scarce. I'd get a bunsen burner, some flasks and distillation setup from Kimble or Pyrex. Most, if not all, essential oils, are made using steam distillation, which seems straightforward. But I'd do it for very difficult to source essential oils only, as it's more convenient, if not cheaper, to just buy from good sources.

There's one coumarin, called lacinartin, which comes from citrus fruits, and it's very effective against p. gingavalis bacteria, my tormentor. I don't know why there's a lot of mention on naringenin, but little on lacinartin. Can't find it sold anywhere. I'm desperate enough to make it myself.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom