Air Fresheners And Aromas

DaveFoster

I'm trying to get rid of the musky scent in my room (which may smell like milk), and I'm asking whether anyone has found Peaty air-fresheners, or safe essential oils (similar to Febreeze for example.)

I'm planning to do the following:

- Wipe everything down
- Clean all sheets, blankets and clothes
- Clean comforter
- Sprinkle baking soda everywhere and vacuum up
- Use ozone machine for smells (still debating this one)
- Use an essential oil diffuser

Anyone have any advice/ideas?

LUH 3417

I use white vinegar to clean floors and counters. It neutralizes most smells and doesn't linger.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

I use white vinegar to clean floors and counters. It neutralizes most smells and doesn't linger.
Interesting. I use dish soap and disinfectant wipes, but I'll have to try white vinegar.
Make a lot of coffee.
Interestingly enough, coffee grounds can be used instead of baking soda to pick up smells (on carpets for example.)

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Nicole W.

I own several of these lampes as they are beautiful and collectible as well as very useful in eliminating odor.
To give you an example, one of my dogs was "skunked" and then my husband, bless his heart, LET HIM IN THE HOUSE where he proceeded to rub himself all over walls and furniture. Ugh. I tried everything to get rid of the lingering odor which was lasting weeks btw. The most effective thing was lampe begere. We were astounded at how effective it was at eliminating, not masking, the skunk smell.

The one detracting feature other than the cost is that it apparently omits ozone so I only use it when needed and not all the time since I'm not sure if it's completely benign. But as far as odor elimination goes, it does the trick.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

This is a female issue? o_O
Did it for the lulz. More like a male issue in my case, since I'm fairly inept with hygiene and scents.

I own several of these lampes as they are beautiful and collectible as well as very useful in eliminating odor.
To give you an example, one of my dogs was "skunked" and then my husband, bless his heart, LET HIM IN THE HOUSE where he proceeded to rub himself all over walls and furniture. Ugh. I tried everything to get rid of the lingering odor which was lasting weeks btw. The most effective thing was lampe begere. We were astounded at how effective it was at eliminating, not masking, the skunk smell.

The one detracting feature other than the cost is that it apparently omits ozone so I only use it when needed and not all the time since I'm not sure if it's completely benign. But as far as odor elimination goes, it does the trick.
The ozone definitely seems unappealing, but thanks for sharing.

It looks like orange oil (and the active compound D-limonene) might hold some benefits:

Limonene reduces Serotonin during stress

Last edited:

Mad

I'm trying to get rid of the musky scent in my room (which may smell like milk), and I'm asking whether anyone has found Peaty air-fresheners, or safe essential oils (similar to Febreeze for example.)

I'm planning to do the following:

- Wipe everything down
- Clean all sheets, blankets and clothes
- Clean comforter
- Sprinkle baking soda everywhere and vacuum up
- Use ozone machine for smells (still debating this one)
- Use an essential oil diffuser

Anyone have any advice/ideas?

Yes, unfortunately cleaning is the number one thing you probably need to do. Deep cleaning... Behind and under everything. Kitchens and bathrooms harbor the worst odors and need the most attention. For a bedroom, definitely launder all bedding, from the comforter and sheets to the mattress pad. I would then start sniffing.... Are there some pillows that are causing the smell? Your mattress? Window curtains? Carpet? The fabric of a chair or other furniture? Locate the odor and either clean it if you can or throw it out and replace with new!
Sprinkling baking soda is a good trick - I would put a cup or two in a mason jar, put in several drops of essential oil (i usually use lavender), shake it up and then pour onto mattress, couches, carpets... Anything with fabric that you can't just throw in the washing machine. Leave for about an hour then vacuum up.
Burning beeswax candles with cotton wicks is supposed to clean the air without creating toxins... May be worth a try.
And lastly, look for signs of mold and mildew. Look on walls, ceilings, window sills. This is the one time I'd bring out the bleach. May need to invest in a small dehumidifier and hygrometer to keep an eye on humidity levels.
Oh also, for small musty spaces, keeping an open jar sitting somewhere that has baking soda and essential oil in it can help. I did this in all the closets when I moved into an old house and it really helped.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Yes, unfortunately cleaning is the number one thing you probably need to do. Deep cleaning... Behind and under everything. Kitchens and bathrooms harbor the worst odors and need the most attention. For a bedroom, definitely launder all bedding, from the comforter and sheets to the mattress pad. I would then start sniffing.... Are there some pillows that are causing the smell? Your mattress? Window curtains? Carpet? The fabric of a chair or other furniture? Locate the odor and either clean it if you can or throw it out and replace with new!
Sprinkling baking soda is a good trick - I would put a cup or two in a mason jar, put in several drops of essential oil (i usually use lavender), shake it up and then pour onto mattress, couches, carpets... Anything with fabric that you can't just throw in the washing machine. Leave for about an hour then vacuum up.
Burning beeswax candles with cotton wicks is supposed to clean the air without creating toxins... May be worth a try.
And lastly, look for signs of mold and mildew. Look on walls, ceilings, window sills. This is the one time I'd bring out the bleach. May need to invest in a small dehumidifier and hygrometer to keep an eye on humidity levels.
Oh also, for small musty spaces, keeping an open jar sitting somewhere that has baking soda and essential oil in it can help. I did this in all the closets when I moved into an old house and it really helped.
Thanks for all the tips. I will use some orange oil with the baking soda.

I found a little nest of dirt on my office hair (within the backrest). It's easy to miss, and even though I cleaned my room multiple times, there's so much I missed just in that one spot.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom