Anyone here raising their babies/ children PUFA free? Any testimonies?

Greyfox

I have often wondered how I would have turned out had I not been subjected to poverty and cheap foods containing PUFA. I have never been particularly abundant in health and vitality and have always had symptoms of hypothyroidism.

From a mainstream perspective the PUFA oils are essential and I can see raising a child free of them being seen as neglect or child abuse, but obviously the consensus here is that they are very toxic with long-term repercussions.

Does anyone have any stories of their PUFA free children and the effects it has had on them? Ray used to speak favourably of baby's metabolic health in the absence of these pernicious oils and so I was looking for examples of people on the forum who decided not to feed them to their kids at all or in low amounts.

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
Hi, I just joined today and am quite new to Peat's stuff but for the most part we're PUFA free (omega-6) the last 5 years. My kid is almost 2 and the only omega-6 PUFA ingested was the occasional chip in a rare restaurant visit. But omega-3 wise, I have been giving quite a lot of roe and cod liver, and cod liver oil at times earlier on... So I am now seriously re-thinking these strategies. I've definitely cut down the hake roe over the last couple of weeks as I am voraciously learning about this stuff and from Georgi's interviews. But development-wise, it has been very good so far touch wood. Even with the omega-3s.

On a related note, any research anyone has handy on why omega-3 can be detrimental, I'd love it if you could share it. I'm sure I will dig it up eventually but the time-save would be most welcome.

OP
Greyfox

Greyfox

Hi, I just joined today and am quite new to Peat's stuff but for the most part we're PUFA free (omega-6) the last 5 years. My kid is almost 2 and the only omega-6 PUFA ingested was the occasional chip in a rare restaurant visit. But omega-3 wise, I have been giving quite a lot of roe and cod liver, and cod liver oil at times earlier on... So I am now seriously re-thinking these strategies. I've definitely cut down the hake roe over the last couple of weeks as I am voraciously learning about this stuff and from Georgi's interviews. But development-wise, it has been very good so far touch wood. Even with the omega-3s.

On a related note, any research anyone has handy on why omega-3 can be detrimental, I'd love it if you could share it. I'm sure I will dig it up eventually but the time-save would be most welcome.
On paper the omega-3s are prone to the level of rancidity and oxidation you would expect from the omega-6 oils, so I avoid them in general. In practice there seem to be a great many people who swear by the benefits of omega 3 oils so I'm really not to sure on this one. It seems like fats and lipolysis in general is very detrimental to health. I completely restricted fats a few times and I've noticed increase sexual virility and my hair completely stopped falling out to the point it was resistant to pulling it. If I increase fats my hair gets greasy and then it starts to fall out again.

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
On paper the omega-3s are prone to the level of rancidity and oxidation you would expect from the omega-6 oils, so I avoid them in general. In practice there seem to be a great many people who swear by the benefits of omega 3 oils so I'm really not to sure on this one. It seems like fats and lipolysis in general is very detrimental to health. I completely restricted fats a few times and I've noticed increase sexual virility and my hair completely stopped falling out to the point it was resistant to pulling it. If I increase fats my hair gets greasy and then it starts to fall out again.
As I said I am new to the Peat stuff, so am very open-minded to any ideas I read on here. I understand all PUFAs are fragile and oxidise easily, but I also think if you are in good health this is less of a risk factor. In my case I've eaten almost zero omega-6s from seed oil for 5 years, and have reduced nut/seed/grain consumption to close to nothing. So I think oxidation of PUFAs is less of a risk in my body, especially because I use a lot of antioxidant support amino acids and supplements. But I definitely see the risk in a person who has a lot of accumulated PUFAs and is leading a pro-inflammatory life. In the case of a child that has been eating healthy all of its life I honestly want to believe I've been doing the right thing... but again I have reduced our omega-3 sources quite a bit since I started listening to Georgi on interviews..

OP
Greyfox

Greyfox

As I said I am new to the Peat stuff, so am very open-minded to any ideas I read on here. I understand all PUFAs are fragile and oxidise easily, but I also think if you are in good health this is less of a risk factor. In my case I've eaten almost zero omega-6s from seed oil for 5 years, and have reduced nut/seed/grain consumption to close to nothing. So I think oxidation of PUFAs is less of a risk in my body, especially because I use a lot of antioxidant support amino acids and supplements. But I definitely see the risk in a person who has a lot of accumulated PUFAs and is leading a pro-inflammatory life. In the case of a child that has been eating healthy all of its life I honestly want to believe I've been doing the right thing... but again I have reduced our omega-3 sources quite a bit since I started listening to Georgi on interviews..
I think we are all doing the best we can good sir. It's not our fault the landscape is so convoluted and poisoned. Everything in the modern world is practically killing us. the other week my friend was cooking eggs in a frying pan that clearly had a compromised surface. he was scratching it with a METAL fork. I was cringing so much knowing that particles of frying pan were almost definitely getting into the eggs.

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
I think we are all doing the best we can good sir. It's not our fault the landscape is so convoluted and poisoned. Everything in the modern world is practically killing us. the other week my friend was cooking eggs in a frying pan that clearly had a compromised surface. he was scratching it with a METAL fork. I was cringing so much knowing that particles of frying pan were almost definitely getting into the eggs.
Tell me about it... I have to bite my lip constantly every time I am in someone else's house..! It's hard enough when you are trying hard to do things right but some many folks are straight up killing themselves with their lifestyle and habits..

wzuo

I have 2.5 years old kid, we avoid PUFA, only eat some wheat bread. He's drinking a lot of milk, OJ etc. He looks like 4 year old kids and have plenty of power, is very smart and full of energy. You wouldn't say that he is only 2.5 years old. No allergies etc.
I must say also that he wasn't vaccinated

Jayvee

My little one is 17 months and so far is thriving. Not yet been properly sick (touch wood) and is developmentally way ahead of others and I've not seen any kids his age compare to his language skills. No idea how much that is down to avoiding PUFA though but I'm sure it's been a factor. On the flip side, kids seem to be very resilient to stressors. I do know plenty of toddlers doing well on bottle feed which is mostly vegetable oil and maltodextrin which I guess is where genetic resilience comes in to play.

OP
Greyfox

Greyfox

I have 2.5 years old kid, we avoid PUFA, only eat some wheat bread. He's drinking a lot of milk, OJ etc. He looks like 4 year old kids and have plenty of power, is very smart and full of energy. You wouldn't say that he is only 2.5 years old. No allergies etc.
He's lucky to have a parent who is aware of all the damaging components in the food supply. Bill gates might not be happy about the lack of vaccinations though.

OP
Greyfox

Greyfox

My little one is 17 months and so far is thriving. Not yet been properly sick (touch wood) and is developmentally way ahead of others and I've not seen any kids his age compare to his language skills. No idea how much that is down to avoiding PUFA though but I'm sure it's been a factor. On the flip side, kids seem to be very resilient to stressors. I do know plenty of toddlers doing well on bottle feed which is mostly vegetable oil and maltodextrin which I guess is where genetic resilience comes in to play.
Glad to hear about his language skills. I've also noticed kids are very resilient to stressors. I assume they were protected from the pufa in the womb to some extent which might afford some metabolic momentum. They usually have impeccable organs and regenerative capacities at that age but the cumulative damage really drags you down in the twenties.

wzuo

He's lucky to have a parent who is aware of all the damaging components in the food supply. Bill gates might not be happy about the lack of vaccinations though.
It's not because of me. I have to thank God that I came across Ray Peat's work by some guy that told me in 2018 that current world's diet and lifestyle is piece of ***t and lie in general and pointed me towards Ray.
I also look on older people what they do and what they eat ad take wisdom from it. Last few days one of my friend that is 65 years old told me that he never ate broccoli in his life and asked me how to prepare it. I was surprised.

OP
Greyfox

Greyfox

It's not because of me. I have to thank God that I came across Ray Peat's work by some guy that told me in 2018 that current world's diet and lifestyle is piece of ***t and lie in general and pointed me towards Ray.
I also look on older people what they do and what they eat ad take wisdom from it. Last few days one of my friend that is 65 years old told me that he never ate broccoli in his life and asked me how to prepare it. I was surprised.
I also thank god I found Ray. I genuinely would be dead by now. I was going through hell and couldn't make heads or tails of what was happening. At least Ray's stuff is a solid foundation to build up from.

Mad

I have two children, they had different health environments I would say and I am convinced that is the difference in their health currently.
First baby: I was so, so, insanely sick during pregnancy, lost weight for months and threw up all day, could barely eat anything. When I did it was often the most horrible junk food because it was all I could get down without barfing it right back up. Doughnuts was something I remember eating constantly in early pregnancy. When I had him, his first foods included lots of peanut butter, yogurt, regular flour. We did do lots of fruit, meat, and broth as well but I was not as developed in my health knowledge as I am now. He started solids at 6 months and nursed until 14 months. Received the 2 and 4 month vaccines before I was awakened to the truth.
Second baby: I was not nearly as sick during pregnancy. I ate normally, mostly home cooked meals, and yes PUFA avoidance was something I was aware of. By the time she was ready for solids I was on a new level of awareness with health foods; she only had raw milk, when she had bread it was only homemade sourdough einkorn. Didn't feed her peanut butter all the time like I did with my first. She's eaten liver since the beginning. Lots of dairy, fruit, meat, broth, everything homemade. She started solids at 6 months and is still nursing now at 2 yrs 1 month. No vaccines.

With my son, my pregnancy was horrible, his birth was hard, nursing was difficult, he had a hard time gaining weight as a newborn. His sleep was HORRIBLE. His behavior has been very difficult. He has more tendency to have some seasonal allergies.
With my daughter, my pregnancy was much easier, birth was a dream, nursing was a dream, gained weight quickly, sleep was a dream, behavior is wonderful. She is my angel.
The craziest thing is when they catch the same cold: my son gets SO sick, severe respiratory symptoms that it scares us badly. My daughter with the same cold will have the most mild symptoms for a couple of days and then be done with it. It makes me so sad for the information I didn't yet have with my son, and I hope the changes we have made will make enough of a difference for him.

OP
Greyfox

Greyfox

I have two children, they had different health environments I would say and I am convinced that is the difference in their health currently.
First baby: I was so, so, insanely sick during pregnancy, lost weight for months and threw up all day, could barely eat anything. When I did it was often the most horrible junk food because it was all I could get down without barfing it right back up. Doughnuts was something I remember eating constantly in early pregnancy. When I had him, his first foods included lots of peanut butter, yogurt, regular flour. We did do lots of fruit, meat, and broth as well but I was not as developed in my health knowledge as I am now. He started solids at 6 months and nursed until 14 months. Received the 2 and 4 month vaccines before I was awakened to the truth.
Second baby: I was not nearly as sick during pregnancy. I ate normally, mostly home cooked meals, and yes PUFA avoidance was something I was aware of. By the time she was ready for solids I was on a new level of awareness with health foods; she only had raw milk, when she had bread it was only homemade sourdough einkorn. Didn't feed her peanut butter all the time like I did with my first. She's eaten liver since the beginning. Lots of dairy, fruit, meat, broth, everything homemade. She started solids at 6 months and is still nursing now at 2 yrs 1 month. No vaccines.

With my son, my pregnancy was horrible, his birth was hard, nursing was difficult, he had a hard time gaining weight as a newborn. His sleep was HORRIBLE. His behavior has been very difficult. He has more tendency to have some seasonal allergies.
With my daughter, my pregnancy was much easier, birth was a dream, nursing was a dream, gained weight quickly, sleep was a dream, behavior is wonderful. She is my angel.
The craziest thing is when they catch the same cold: my son gets SO sick, severe respiratory symptoms that it scares us badly. My daughter with the same cold will have the most mild symptoms for a couple of days and then be done with it. It makes me so sad for the information I didn't yet have with my son, and I hope the changes we have made will make enough of a difference for him.
Wow, thank you for sharing this. It's really interesting hearing about the vast differences between your children. Goes to show, the things we know about health and wellbeing can really change the trajectory of our lives. Knowledge is more important now than ever. Practically every food is produced with PUFA as a key ingredient.
I'm sure the changes you've made will really start to manifest slowly. Just time, love and care now.

A-Tim

Have you used formula for your kid? If not, what have you done instead? Everything I looked at contains pufa. I'll be entering the world of fatherhood in the next couple of years. I'll take all the advice I can get!

Peachy

Have you used formula for your kid? If not, what have you done instead? Everything I looked at contains pufa. I'll be entering the world of fatherhood in the next couple of years. I'll take all the advice I can get!

Weston A. Price has a raw cow milk formula recipe. It includes additional saturated fats as well as a bit of sunflower oil and even cod liver oil (they use fermented which I especially would not touch). They say it mimics breast milk fatty acid composition.

Xin

He's had no vaccines at all or only the first ones they give him when he was born. Have you experienced any issues with day care refusing him etc?

Jayvee

My partner has breastfed which comes with it's own set of challenges. If she didn't I would make up my own formula, something like the Mt Capra formula (if you google it you should see it). My advice is, if your partner did breastfeed, I would do a combination of this and breast milk from 6 months onwards, otherwise they 'can' just get stuck on breast milk and your partner will get zapped (this happened to us anyway).

wzuo

The best formula is breastfeed formula. If if's really not possible - I mean there is just not enough milk, then just use goat or cow milk. I know few people that were drinking cow/goat milk because at communist times in Poland there wasn't easy to obtain modified milk, and their mother had no lactation. They were well built but I don't know their whole life so can't tell if there were any cons of this.
Weston A. Price has a raw cow milk formula recipe. It includes additional saturated fats as well as a bit of sunflower oil and even cod liver oil (they use fermented which I especially would not touch). They say it mimics breast milk fatty acid composition.

Problem is that mother's milk is fresh, and that's crucial for MUFA/PUFA to have any beneficial effects, if there are any. Anything that is available from shelf has probably rancid oils thus is harmful.
He's had no vaccines at all or only the first ones they give him when he was born. Have you experienced any issues with day care refusing him etc?

My two kids were born in home with midwifes assistance. I don't like hospitals and how births are incuded because everyone's hurry and wants to improve nature via synthetic oxytocin etc. So we have avoided all vaccinations, even vitamin K. We do not use public healthcare. Note I'm in EU and it varies in each country.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals