How To Wean Off Fish Oil And Evening Primrose Oil

Shauna

I have been reading as much as I can about Ray Peat's ideas, and I have cut out all the processed omega-6 oils from my diet, but I rely heavily on fish oil to decrease inflammation all over (joint pain, muscle aches, headaches). I take 9 grams a day. Decreasing the dose results in more pain. I also take 1.3 grams evening primrose oil daily to regulate hormonal issues and mood. I don't know what I can replace these with, or what I can do so that I will no longer need them. Does anyone have suggestions? Has anyone been through this? Thank you!

What-a-Riot

Have you tried aspirin? That helps me with joint pain, and even seems to have contributed to some healing in that area. Niacin up regulates elongase enzymes and increases DHA : arachidonic acid ration without having to supplement DHA.

DankMemes

They are more likely contributing to the pain.

Aspirin should help with pain and inflammation.

Some people report gelatin helping with joint pain.

OP
S

Shauna

Thanks, What-a-Riot. I haven't tried aspirin. I avoid it due to potential long-term side effects. I know Ray Peat is a fan of it. I do take niacin.

DankMemes, thanks. They're not contributing to the pain, else when I cut down on the dose, my pain should decrease rather than increase. I will try gelatin, thanks.

tara

:welcome Shauna
What alternatives will help you reduce inflammation without the PUFAs may depend on what is causing it and what else is going on with you.
If you want to tell a fuller story, you can if you want. Eg, what health issues you are struggling with, what and how much are you eating, have you got indicators of how base metabolism is running (eg lab test, body temps, resting heart rate, other signs and symptoms)?

Headaches and migraines are my key issue. I know that short-term relief can be very important, even while considering the longer view. And that it's not always straight forward.

Have you tried some of the basics to see it they help?
EG:
Daily raw carrot salad sometime away from other food? Can help balance hormones (by helping clear bile-bound estrogen) and reduce endotoxin ingress.
Regular sunlight on as much of your skin as is practical? Red light (orange through near-infrared) helps restore a key enzyme for energy generation.
Attending to breathing - relaxed, nasal, diaphragmatic, or tense, mouth, chest? Hyperventilation can promote pain; reducing it to raise CO2 levels can help calm nerves.
Getting good nutrition - enough good quality protein, carbohydrates, minerals, vitamins?
Are you salting food to taste, esp. premenstrually?
Some people find that if they can provide easier to digest food, or avoid particular gut irritants, that helps with a range of systemic issues. Resolving any constipation is important.

From what you mention, including hormonal issues, it is possible that progesterone supplementation would be helpful. It can help with estrogen-excess issues which may be at play, and it can also help against pain. But probably good to have a go at assessing thyroid function before embarking on that.

They're not contributing to the pain, else when I cut down on the dose, my pain should decrease rather than increase.
I don't think this follows. Short term relief can sometimes be afforded by substances that also do longer term harm, and therefore contribute to perpetuating or worsening the root cause.
That could be the case with the omega 3 PUFAs. It could be that improving general metabolism would help over time resolve the health issues that are causing you pain. The O3 PUFAs may be both suppressing inflammation in the short term and suppressing metabolism in the longer.

I haven't tried aspirin. I avoid it due to potential long-term side effects. I know Ray Peat is a fan of it. I do take niacin.
I guess you know Peat generally favour niacinamide over niacin.
I wouldn't recommend you use aspirin if you continue to get negative symptoms from it, but it might be worth experimenting with it a little to see if it helps. AIUI, most people get more benefit than harm from lowish doses. There are also some ways to mitigate the risks. Either consuming it together with glycine (or gelatine which contains glycine), or dissolving it with baking soda can apparently mitigate effects on stomach lining. Taking vit-K2 can mitigate the risks of excessive bleeding. Peat recommends this with regular aspirin consumption, and many here supplement K2.

Good luck

YuraCZ

I don't believe that eating fish rich in omega 3 is the same disaster as vegetable oils. Otherwise every population close to sea or ocean would be sick with diabetes, cardiovascular desease etc.. But it's not happening.. But there is an issue with fish OIL. Because it will so easily oxidized. Same with flaxseed oil etc.. Just eat the whole fish. Salmon, mackerel. But I eat mainly sardines with bones. It is a superfood like liver, eggs etc.. It's great source of calcium, selenium, vit D, some other vitamins and omega 3. It's also cheap and low in mercury not like salmon or tuna..

tara

Just eat the whole fish. Salmon, mackerel. But I eat mainly sardines with bones. It is a superfood like liver, eggs etc..
Not passing judgement here on your habits, just noting for other readers trying to learn about Peat's ideas, that this does not seem to reflect Peat's view of oily fish.

YuraCZ

Not passing judgement here on your habits, just noting for other readers trying to learn about Peat's ideas, that this does not seem to reflect Peat's view of oily fish.
Everything what I'm saying is my opinion.. Everybody should have own opinion.. right?

What-a-Riot

No one implied otherwise, there's been an influx of new members lately, and there are always lurkers. Fish oil and evening primrose oil are gonna be pretty common searches, so people who don't know a thing about peat / PUFAs could well end up here. She made her intentions and lack thereof clear enough. I appreciate what you bring, but I gotta say you've seemed a little touchy on here lately

tara

Everything what I'm saying is my opinion.. Everybody should have own opinion.. right?
Sure everyone should have their own opinions, but this is a forum with some specific purposes. But since this is the Ray Peat Forum, and people are likely to come here to learn about or get advice related to Ray Peat's work, it's helpful to distinguish your own ideas from Peat's, especially when you pretty directly contradict him, and especially to newcomers.
See forum rules. Terms of Service and Rules | Ray Peat Forum

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals