Daily Headaches/migraines

Sucrates

Yes to treating the vasodilation - a good thing. And I do believe it's really helpful for some people.

My experience has been that coffee has several times given me temporary relief, but often has left me with more intractable migraines than I get without the coffee. I think there might also be a component of speeding up metabolism temporarily and then leaving it more sluggish than it was previously when it wears off. Possibly some extra stress response gets mixed in in some circumstances, and maybe it also gives an extra job to the liver or some other system that gets a bit overloaded. I'm speculating. But I know more than one other person who has told me that they get headaches if the drink too much coffee, and not if they stay away from it or keep it to smaller amounts. I know that's not everyone, just some people. It's only relevant if it actually works like that for a particular person, I'm not suggesting everyone or all migraineurs should avoid it. It's also possible that if I changed other factors for myself I would get different effects.

I've never heard of it till I saw you mention it in an other thread recently. Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look and see if it's available locally.

I haven't looked into safety or mechanism, just saw some interesting articles recently on choto-san.

Constatine

Thank you Sucrates.
I take aspirin every day and I have tried various doses. I also take Doxycycline right now, and Lisurade I guess is from LSD. I have taken progesterone for years and the last few months I have been mega dosing to see if that would help.
I drink a few cups of really strong coffee every day.

I bought the Lisurade from Idealabs, but I'm a little affraid of it because the bottle says 1 dose is 8 drops. I need much more than that to really curb my headaches. I took 2 drops this morning with no effect. Took another 6 drops an hour later and did feel a reduction in my headache but i would probably have to repeat that dose 3-4 times a day to keep it at bay, and I don't know how ok that is.

I don't know what Psilocybin is, but i will look it I'll. Thanks so much for your response!
Serotonin antagonists like coffee can upregulate serotonin receptors in the brain over time. I would try cycling all your serotonin antagonists (coffee, aspirin, etc).

L

lollipop

Serotonin antagonists like coffee can upregulate serotonin receptors in the brain over time. I would try cycling all your serotonin antagonists (coffee, aspirin, etc).
Hi @Constatine, interesting. By cycling, what do you suggest exactly? Do you think regular consumption of Serotonin antagonists in someone without migraine problems could cause problems long term?

Constatine

Hi @Constatine, interesting. By cycling, what do you suggest exactly? Do you think regular consumption of Serotonin antagonists in someone without migraine problems could cause problems long term?
The effects of serotonin antagonists seem to be beneficial overall. Serotonin receptor upregulation shouldn't be a big problem as receptors return to normal within a few weeks. I have no idea if one can develop migraines in such a way but if one does it will only last a week or so (if it was caused by an increased serotonin activity) after cycling. I think 2 weeks off whenever one gets a migraine again would work.

Edit: I would also like to add that taking a serotonin antagonist in too high a dose for too long can overstimulate the mitochondria. Some antagonism is good but one really needs to support the mitochondria if he/she plans on going crazy with serotonin antagonists. Plenty of sunlight and youthful sleep are important here. Exercise stimulates the mitochondria in a similar fashion to serotonin antagonists.

Last edited:
L

lollipop

The effects of serotonin antagonists seem to be beneficial overall. Serotonin receptor upregulation shouldn't be a big problem as receptors return to normal within a few weeks. I have no idea if one can develop migraines in such a way but if one does it will only last a week or so (if it was caused by an increased serotonin activity) after cycling. I think 2 weeks off whenever one gets a migraine again would work.

Edit: I would also like to add that taking a serotonin antagonist in too high a dose for too long can overstimulate the mitochondria. Some antagonism is good but one really needs to support the mitochondria if he/she plans on going crazy with serotonin antagonists. Plenty of sunlight and youthful sleep are important here. Exercise stimulates the mitochondria in a similar fashion to serotonin antagonists.
Great. Thank you for your thoughts @Constatine!

tara

Thanks for this thought Constatine.
This seems like a good reason for me personally not to acquire a heavy coffee habit, and to keep my aspirin use intermittent rather than daily.

OP
D

Donnea

I wish everything wasn't so complicated!
Yesterday I started feeling a headache coming on and I took some theanine with orange juice and it subsided- yay!
This morning I woke up with a headache again and it was with me all day no matter what I did. I even took 3 excedrin migraine tablets upon waking. Super low mood all day too.

I have ordered some lysine, hoping that will help...

Xisca

I find that light force chiropractic works great on my headaches (that's all it does though

Xisca- sorry, I just realized that I didn't answer your question properly. I have gone through some really stressful events over the last 2 years, and I think all the stress has finally caught up with me. I think it just pushed me over the edge,,i just can't seem to get back to normal

I think coffee or caffeine treats the symptom, cerebral vasodilation.
Symtoms and treating what ttriggers the symptom is for the short term!
Useful, sure,
but NOT enough.

What works in chiropractic can be optimized, but you have to find the 1st painful problem you had, or ask about your birth and if they pulled you out for example.

Look also at the thread running at the moment : Sugar Was Working Great For A Few Weeks, But Then Caused Muscle Stiffness

You recent stress also triggered some stiffness, and so does your first accident in life, this is a reflex of the body, and it can be reversed.

Constatine

Thanks for this thought Constatine.
This seems like a good reason for me personally not to acquire a heavy coffee habit, and to keep my aspirin use intermittent rather than daily.
I do not know for sure if aspirin upregulates serotonin receptors, it actually probably doesn't. But coffee does for sure. Haidut posted a study on it a while back. Nevertheless I think it is wise to cycle aspirin.

DaveFoster

But I know more than one other person who has told me that they get headaches if the drink too much coffee, and not if they stay away from it or keep it to smaller amounts.
I also know a lady who gets headaches from drinking any amount of coffee.

burtlancast

You've written about a lot of tried remedies, but not about triggers.

Before trying to help, it would be useful to know what triggers have you identified and actively avoided?

Xisca

Triggers are like the rain making the house wet: you would want to repair the leak before accusing the rain....

The foramen jugular is too narrow, and more narrow on the side affected by the migraine more.

tara

Triggers are like the rain making the house wet: you would want to repair the leak before accusing the rain....
Maybe, but the triggers may give informative clues about the underlying causes.
Where the rain comes in can give good clues about where the hole in the roof is that needs fixing.

Xisca

Who tried everything under the sky but not the muscle tension track... can look for this way!
When we go on the same, we cannot expect different results. I had also forgotten about the meaning of between meals those last 2 years and I changed something: then I am no more hungry and got my energy back: my cortisol receptors surely are sensitive again! And this also can be part of triggering migraine.
My migraines were anyway on my more tense side of the body. And even with low potassium, which could also be a trigger for muscle tension in general, my migraines have not come back.

Zpol

There is a trial on low level laser therapy on the back of the nasal cavity ongoing too ( similar to Sphenopalatine Nerve Block).

Do you know where I can find more information on this for preventing migraines, the LLLT I mean? I'm looking into this on my own but if you could provide any links that'd be helpful. I have a hand held red light which I'm thinking it might helpful to shine up my nose and into whites of eyes (while looking up) but I don't know how often or how long is needed before seeing benefits.

Sucrates

Do you know where I can find more information on this for preventing migraines, the LLLT I mean? I'm looking into this on my own but if you could provide any links that'd be helpful. I have a hand held red light which I'm thinking it might helpful to shine up my nose and into whites of eyes (while looking up) but I don't know how often or how long is needed before seeing benefits.
Treatment Alternatives for Migraine
I use a 60mw avg power 905nm laser for 180 seconds per nostril, seems to give some relief, not a magic bullet though.
I'd be cautious about shining lights in your eyes unless you know exactly what you are doing. There were(are) people here who recommended it quite enthusiastically but I don't think they know what they're talking about.

Kingpinguin

I'm at a loss now.
I had daily headaches upon waking for probably 20 years and I fixed it with the Peat diet. I was great for about 2 years, and now the headaches are back. I have thrown everything at it that I can think of. Trying to keep blood sugar even, making sure I get enough nutrients, including liver.

The headaches are more than just headaches. They are similar to migraines as they effect my eyes, mood, and energy. I'm gaining weight. Aspirin doesn't even touch these headaches. Lisurade seems to take the edge off the headaches, but the rest of my body still feels down.

I struggle through the work day, and then I go to bed when I get home and just rest until it's time to sleep. I avoid social interactions and anything that takes me away from my bed.

Has anyone successfully managed to get rid of headaches like these?

Try chewing down raw ginger root. It works for me everytime. There scientific evidence that ginger has strong anti migraine powers. I think it has to do with its anti serotonin properties specially in the gut which somehow goes up to the head. Once i chew down raw ginger root i can feel the spice burning in my stomach. And it sorta radiates from my stomach to my head just giving relief. I know it sounds weird but you should try it. Defo a gut, brain connection and serotonin.

Zpol

Treatment Alternatives for Migraine
I use a 60mw avg power 905nm laser for 180 seconds per nostril, seems to give some relief, not a magic bullet though.
I'd be cautious about shining lights in your eyes unless you know exactly what you are doing. There were(are) people here who recommended it quite enthusiastically but I don't think they know what they're talking about.

Thank you! I have the LGS1 from Lifegivingstore. I'm hoping just aiming up my nasal passages will suffice but if not I'll try to find the device they mention in the article. I think I saw Dr. Sircus mention some device similar to that. The main thing that I was wondering if it was prophylactic or used during the prodrome. Sounds like it's the former. Also they mention very short duration, only 180 seconds.
I haven't been able to find much on the safety of shining it in the eyes. I'll have to keep looking.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals