Headaches/migraines With T3

blob69

Does anyone else get bad headaches (or even migraines) when taking T3? It seems to be fairly common: https://healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk/posts/648852/bad-headaches-with-t3

What causes this and how to prevent it? I can't raise T3 without this happening and it's really bothersome as I'm clearly hypothyroid with high cholesterol, carotenemia etc. Whenever a T3 supplement works I feel better and my cholesterol goes down, but at the same time my head hurts like hell. The same thing seems to happen also with other stuff that raises metabolism for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

SneezeStar

I was taking 50 mcg of cynomel a few years ago and after a few monthes had a chronic low level headache..i knew it was the t3 and was taking too much. Lowering it to 25 mcg at the time solved it.

OP
B

blob69

I was taking 50 mcg of cynomel a few years ago and after a few monthes had a chronic low level headache..i knew it was the t3 and was taking too much. Lowering it to 25 mcg at the time solved it.

Thanks SneezeStar, I appreciate your feedback!

Ellen D.

I started taking Cytomel (25 mcg) two weeks ago after a thyroidectomy and in preparation for radioactive iodine ablation. The upside is that my chronic insomnia (waking up at 3 AM) has improved immensely, the downside is that now I wake up a 6 AM with a headache and nausea. Going to try splitting the pill, see if that works better.

harley090

I suffered the same bad headaches when taking T3. I think it is the side effect.

tara

Could it be a result of taking too much T3 at once?
I've seen Peat suggest nibbling on a T3 tablet through the day - I think that could mean something like 1-2 mcg at a time, or maybe 3-4 mcg doses, several times a day. Apparently a healthy thyroid produces about 3-4mcg/hour. Taking 25mcg or 50mcg at once might be expected to trigger some unintended effects for some people?

That and ensuring adequate nutrition (including fuel) for the rev'ed up metabolism to work with - otherwise that could cause a headache, as ecstatic alludes to.)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals