raising cortisol with t4= terrible headaches, similar to a hangover

ddjd

ive been experimenting recently with trying to increase my cortisol slightly because i find i tolerate T3 a lot better.

there seems to be a few ways, one is to agonise the enzyme 11β-HSD1 which converts cortisone to cortisol.

there seems to be a range of substances that achieve this;

- t4 / ndt
- adrenal cortex
- licorice
- iodine
- lithium

the problem is ive found after 1 or 2 days i get these HORRENDOUS headaches, very often roughly located behind the left eye. i would describe them as almost similar to a hangover and they often take 12 hours to dissipate

things that help relieve the headaches, albeit slowly are:
- regular flushing niacin
- choline supplements
- caffeine

does anyone know what causes these headaches specifically? could it be due to high ACTH or maybe high CRH. or is it just agonising the 11β-HSD1 enzyme that does this?

t4 is so widely taken i thought it would be a much more common symptom but i can't find much info on it

Peater Pan

ive been experimenting recently with trying to increase my cortisol slightly because i find i tolerate T3 a lot better.

there seems to be a few ways, one is to agonise the enzyme 11β-HSD1 which converts cortisone to cortisol.

- t4 / ndt
- adrenal cortex
- licorice
- iodine
- lithium

the problem is ive found after 1 or 2 days i get these HORRENDOUS headaches, very often roughly located behind the left eye. i would describe them as almost similar to a hangover and they often take 12 hours to dissipate

- choline supplements
- caffeine

does anyone know what causes these headaches specifically? could it be due to high ACTH or maybe high CRH. or is it just agonising the 11β-HSD1 enzyme that does this?

t4 is so widely taken i thought it would be a much more common symptom but i can't find much info on it
@marsaday Doesn't T4, according to Paul Robinson, utilize and therefore lower cortisol?

FitnessMike

i was taking adrenal cortex as per book of dr pratfield, it was clearly increasing my cortisol nicely but i seem to build tolerance, i will be trying pregnenolone tomorrow in the morning, i need to increase cortisol in order to tolerate/utilize thyroid.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

i was taking adrenal cortex as per book of dr pratfield, it was clearly increasing my cortisol nicely but i seem to build tolerance, i will be trying pregnenolone tomorrow in the morning, i need to increase cortisol in order to tolerate/utilize thyroid.
im almost certain pregnenolone lowers cortisol. at least for me it does. haidut has a lot of posts about how it strongly antagonises cortisol

FitnessMike

im almost certain pregnenolone lowers cortisol. at least for me it does. haidut has a lot of posts about how it strongly antagonises cortisol
that would make sense if you have got high cortisol, just spoke with my buddy whose cortisol was super low, he did cortex and pregnenolone, he's naturopath said that pregnenolone before some physical activity should raise cortisol.

maillol

Grapefruit gives me headaches and poor sleep. Grapefruit raises a number of things but my no1 suspect was cortisol.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Grapefruit gives me headaches and poor sleep. Grapefruit raises a number of things but my no1 suspect was cortisol.
yes exact same thing happens to me also with grapefruit. im pretty sure it's because it's agonising this 11β-HSD1 enzyme which converts cortisone into the active cortisol. grapefruit actually quite dangerous stuff if you eat it very regularly i think, quite a few links to cancer it seems

maillol

yes exact same thing happens to me also with grapefruit. im pretty sure it's because it's agonising this 11β-HSD1 enzyme which converts cortisone into the active cortisol. grapefruit actually quite dangerous stuff if you eat it very regularly i think, quite a few links to cancer it seems
I noticed you also made a post about niacinamide helping your sleep. It helps my sleep too. Perhaps we are both running relatively high on cortisol and niacinamide is helping with that. The Anti-cortisol Effects Of Niacinamide

FitnessMike

- t4 / ndt
- adrenal cortex
- licorice
- iodine
- lithium

- choline supplements
- caffeine

any updates? did you manage to raise cortisol? i started taking t3 only and initially, it boosted my pulse, few days later i can clearly say that it further lowers cortisol. I wonder if it's just a matter of starting low and increasing slowly? i have had same with the adrenal cortex, it increased my pulse really nicely for two weeks, and then it went back to where i was...

maillol

any updates? did you manage to raise cortisol? i started taking t3 only and initially, it boosted my pulse, few days later i can clearly say that it further lowers cortisol. I wonder if it's just a matter of starting low and increasing slowly? i have had same with the adrenal cortex, it increased my pulse really nicely for two weeks, and then it went back to where i was...
Pantothenic acid has been shown to increase cortisol.

FitnessMike

FitnessMike

1 gram at time, im seriously starting to think that this long term unaddressed hypothyroidism mess up the brain

sweetpeat

1 gram at time, im seriously starting to think that this long term unaddressed hypothyroidism mess up the brain
Oh wow, :jawdrop: that's a pretty big dose! And to have no results. Too bad.
Am I remembering right that you were going to try some hydrocortisone? How did that go?

FitnessMike

Oh wow, :jawdrop: that's a pretty big dose! And to have no results. Too bad.
Am I remembering right that you were going to try some hydrocortisone? How did that go?
yes i went for 5mg and felt nothing so i stopped

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Sorry guys, updating this a few years on. Grapefruit actually inhibits the conversion of cortisol to cortisone. So basically it's making cortisol stay in it's active state for longer.

I'm back to experimenting with raising cortisol, will report back on any progress

FitnessMike

Sorry guys, updating this a few years on. Grapefruit actually inhibits the conversion of cortisol to cortisone. So basically it's making cortisol stay in it's active state for longer.

I'm back to experimenting with raising cortisol, will report back on any progress
tried to raise it with cortex and licorice, gave me blood sugar swings, and did not help with tolerating my thyroid.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

tried to raise it with cortex and licorice, gave me blood sugar swings, and did not help with tolerating my thyroid.
Do you gain weight on T3? Grapefruit working for me well at the moment to raise free cortisol

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals