Why Does Everything That Inhibits 11β-HSD1 (lowers Cortisol) Increase My Belly Fat?

managing

The anti-inflammatory activity of cortisol stems from inhibition of the release of histamine from mast cells. Therefore, in the short term, elevation of cortisol inhibits inflammation and excitotoxicity from histamine. In the long run, as is well known, it results in insulin insensitivity and belly fat accumulation.

The challenge is to keep mast cell activity low as well as cortisol. In a young, natural, healthy state, both are low. In an aging and/or inflammatory state, if you inhibit cortisol, histamine runs wild. If you inhibit histamine, (assuming oxidative respiration is subpar), cortisol runs wild.

pauljacob

The anti-inflammatory activity of cortisol stems from inhibition of the release of histamine from mast cells. Therefore, in the short term, elevation of cortisol inhibits inflammation and excitotoxicity from histamine. In the long run, as is well known, it results in insulin insensitivity and belly fat accumulation.

The challenge is to keep mast cell activity low as well as cortisol. In a young, natural, healthy state, both are low. In an aging and/or inflammatory state, if you inhibit cortisol, histamine runs wild. If you inhibit histamine, (assuming oxidative respiration is subpar), cortisol runs wild.
What if I inhibit Histamine mildly with green tea, red wine, etc., and inhibit cortisol mildly through relaxation and more physical activities, will it help reduce insulin resistance?
flavonoids inhibit Histamine
Flavonoids inhibit histamine release and expression of proinflammatory cytokines in mast cells

Mito

The anti-inflammatory activity of cortisol stems from inhibition of the release of histamine from mast cells.
It must have more anti-inflammatory activity than just inhibition of histamine release. Otherwise why wouldn’t doctors prescribe anti-histamines rather than prednisone for autoimmune flares for example.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

this is absolutely spot on. it's exactly what I've experienced over the last 10-15 years. do you know much about Glucocorticoid resistance? is there any solution to regain that youthful sensitivity as well as low levels of both?? exercise perhaps?

the other thing I find difficult to understand is that if I take hydrocortisone, it absolutely does have an anti inflammatory effect, my histamine drops. but why does my own bodies natural production of cortisol never have this anti histamine effect anymore? for instance, drinking coffee increases my cortisol levels, but it's not the kind of cortisol that's anti inflammatory, my histamine doesn't decrease

managing

It must have more anti-inflammatory activity than just inhibition of histamine release. Otherwise why wouldn’t doctors prescribe anti-histamines rather than prednisone for autoimmune flares for example.
I'm sure you are right. Perhaps I was a little careless in how I stated it. But anti-histamines for autoimmune flare ups are a GREAT idea.

managing

this is absolutely spot on. it's exactly what I've experienced over the last 10-15 years. do you know much about Glucocorticoid resistance? is there any solution to regain that youthful sensitivity as well as low levels of both?? exercise perhaps?

the other thing I find difficult to understand is that if I take hydrocortisone, it absolutely does have an anti inflammatory effect, my histamine drops. but why does my own bodies natural production of cortisol never have this anti histamine effect anymore? for instance, drinking coffee increases my cortisol levels, but it's not the kind of cortisol that's anti inflammatory, my histamine doesn't decrease
Adrenaline is easier to trigger than cortisol.

As for insulin sensitivity, I think non-stressful exercise. And sugar.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Adrenaline is easier to trigger than cortisol.

As for insulin sensitivity, I think non-stressful exercise. And sugar.
do you think things like taurine, vitamin c and salt would have multiple benefits as they lower adrenaline and also are good for adrenal health

pauljacob

Very well.
Here's what I normally eat every week. Since I have moderate blood pressure which fluctuates from 130/85 to 145/90 and for that I take Olmesartan/hctz 40/12.5, I eat many items just so I barely satisfy half the daily 4700mg requirement for K. And because I don't eat meat, fish, or fowl, my menu is limited.

Monday
Breakfast One cup of coffee with evaporated milk
Breakfast 3 tablespoons of Peanut butter on 2 slices of French bread.
Banana
Half a large pomegranate
Lunch
2 hard boiled eggs
Homemade Hummus plate with EVOO with three small-size corn tortillas, sliced tomatoes and radishes
A chocolate covered butter cookie
Banana half-ripe (for potassium)
Peat's Carrot salad
Dinner
Salad made with 1/2 large avocado, white beans, cabbage, cauliflower, and white cheddar cheese, with a glass of red wine.
Dried Turkish Apricots
1/4 cup Walnuts

Tuesday
3 tablespoons of Peanut butter on 2 slices of French bread.
Banana
Apple
An hour later
2 hard boiled eggs
Lunch
bawl of lentils soup made with carrots, onions, and spices
Broccoli sauteed in olive oil and melted cheddar cheese
Banana half-ripe
Juice made of tomato paste and vinegar (for potassium)
Peat's Carrot salad
Dinner
Garbanzo beans in homemade, whole-milk yogurt, EVOO and garlic
Dark Chocolate
Walnuts

Wednesday
Banana
An hour later:
3 eggs omelette with white cheddar cheese in olive oil
lunch
Large potato microwaved (for potassium)
Peat's Carrot salad
Dinner
Salad made with 1/2 large avocado, white beans, cabbage, cauliflower, and white cheddar cheese, with a glass of red wine.
Hummus plate with EVOO with three small-size corn tortillas, sliced tomatoes and radishes
3 Dried Turkish Apricots
A handful of Walnuts halves and bits

Thursday
Banana
An hour later
2 hard boiled eggs
Lunch
Hummus plate with EVOO with three small-size corn tortillas, sliced tomatoes and radishes
Fermented cauliflower, garlic and cabbage.
Banana
Before dinner
Peat's Carrot Salad
Dinner
1 cup frozen Okra sauteed in olive oil, garlic and spices and poured on a one serving of spaghetti
3 Dried Turkish Apricots
Dark Chocolate 2 squares

Friday
One cup of coffee with evaporated milk
Banana
An hour later:
3 eggs omelette with white cheddar cheese in olive oil
Lunch
A cup of boiled Edamame
Sauteed Broccoli in olive oil and cheese
Banana
Peat's Carrot Salad
Dinner:
4 medium slices of homemade pizza withe Mozzarella and tomato-red pepper-olive oil toppings

Saturday
One cup of coffee with evaporated milk
Banana
apple
Lunch
A cup of boiled Edamame
Fermented cauliflower, garlic and cabbage.
Banana
Peat's Salad
Dinner
2 slices of leftover pizza

Whataboutbob

Where in the world do you find this stuff? That’s not true at all. Estrogen is directly lipolytic via α2A.

Estrogen also increases insulin sensitivity, protects the heart and is anabolic.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1206168
“Androgen deficiency accounted for decreases in lean mass, muscle size, and strength; estrogen deficiency primarily accounted for increases in body fat; and both contributed to the decline in sexual function. ”

Cardiac concentric remodelling induced by non-aromatizable (dihydro-)testosterone is antagonized by oestradiol in ovariectomized rats. - PubMed - NCBI

High Estrogen and Heart Disease in Men – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

SonOfEurope

"Estrogen Protects the heart and is anabolic"

When you think you've read it all.... Life always surprises you.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

@ddjd Did anything help you to raise your low cortisol? Thanks
Hey Andy,

I'm back to experimenting with raising my free cortisol. It's crazy how much I've already explored these topics and I forget about them.

Anyway the things im experimenting with to raise free cortisol again are;

- Grapefruit (inhibits conversion of cortisol to cortisone- seriously it works!)
- t4 / NDT
- iodine
- adrenal cortex
- low dose Prednisone

I'm already successfully losing weight on the Grapefruit alone.

Andy316

@ddjd Thanks. How is the experiment going? I did well briefly with grapefruit years back but can't digest them well anymore( salicylate issue, same with licorice).

Israelibacon

Hey Andy,

I'm back to experimenting with raising my free cortisol. It's crazy how much I've already explored these topics and I forget about them.

Anyway the things im experimenting with to raise free cortisol again are;

- Grapefruit (inhibits conversion of cortisol to cortisone- seriously it works!)
- t4 / NDT
- iodine
- adrenal cortex
- low dose Prednisone

I'm already successfully losing weight on the Grapefruit alone.

I've noticed a similar effect of grapefruit.
What's your form and dosage of iodine?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals