goodandevil

Why would anyone want to block anti-inflammatory cortisol hormone? What we should aim in any case is addressing the cause, mitigating the stress source that leads to inflammation.

I.e. if the cause is hypoglycemia > then eat carbs. Blocking cortisol cold turkey is like stopping the firefighters from doing their work.
Yes cortisol should be as high as possible.

I think it is very difficult to skew the cascade in favor of DHEA unless the person has PCOS or something similar. The 17,20-lyase is very tightly regulated and in most people it is probably downregulated as a result of low thyroid function. It is much more likely that taking higher dose pregnenolone raises pregnenolone sulfate and 17-OH-pregnenolone until it slowly gets metabolized into other steroids. High levels of 17OHP also decrease 17,20-lyase activity.
17α-Hydroxypregnenolone - Wikipedia

Thanks. can you tell me why it would move towards DHEA in a PCOS state? I find that unbelievably interesting because I have been suspecting that my preg is not converting to progesterone based on symptoms i have been having in myself and watching myself for well over 2 years peating and trying different things, but also what I find interesting is that many people on the propecia recovery forums link clomid as a big potential item to take, I've never understood it or researched it much, but I'm going to look more into it now. clomid is treating PCOS.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks. can you tell me why it would move towards DHEA in a PCOS state? I find that unbelievably interesting because I have been suspecting that my preg is not converting to progesterone based on symptoms i have been having in myself and watching myself for well over 2 years peating and trying different things, but also what I find interesting is that many people on the propecia recovery forums link clomid as a big potential item to take, I've never understood it or researched it much, but I'm going to look more into it now. clomid is treating PCOS.

I don't think it moves towards DHEA. In PCOS the adrenals produce DHEA directly from cholesterol. As Peat said, the adrenals get irritated by estrogen. Any condition where adrenals are overactive is a stress-driven condition and as such amenable to thyroid, lower cortisol and lowering estrogen.

beachbum

I don't think it moves towards DHEA. In PCOS the adrenals produce DHEA directly from cholesterol. As Peat said, the adrenals get irritated by estrogen. Any condition where adrenals are overactive is a stress-driven condition and as such amenable to thyroid, lower cortisol and lowering estrogen.
Should someone with pcos do anything different.

Is inflammation from too low cortisol.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Should someone with pcos do anything different.

Is inflammation from too low cortisol.

Different than what? Like I said, lowering estrogen would be key for PCOS. Inflammation is usually from PUFA. Cortisol is typically a reaction to inflammation, not a cause. Cortisol rises when the organism perceives there is inflammation but the actual cause of inflammation is usually stress and PUFA.

beachbum

Different than what? Like I said, lowering estrogen would be key for PCOS. Inflammation is usually from PUFA. Cortisol is typically a reaction to inflammation, not a cause. Cortisol rises when the organism perceives there is inflammation but the actual cause of inflammation is usually stress and PUFA.
Okay. Thank you. It was hard to for to understand what your wrote. This was a better explanation. I understand it know. Thank you again.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Pharmacological and functional characterization of human mineralocorticoid and glucocorticoid receptor ligands - ScienceDirect
"The affinity of progesterone for the human mineralocorticoid receptor is even higher than that of aldosterone and for the human glucocorticoid receptor comparable to that of cortisol, which suggests a physiological role of progesterone in the regulation of the hypothalamicpituitary-adrenocortical system via both the human mineralocorticoid receptor and the human glucocorticoid receptor."

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals