Causes And Treatment For Hypothyroid-related Headaches?

Discussion in 'Ask For Help or Advice' started by brocktoon, May 31, 2018.

1. brocktoon

brocktoon Member

Persistent headaches are an oft mentioned symptom of hypothyroidism. I'm hypothyroid and suffer from headaches upon awakening every single day. I'd like to know if anyone can shed light on what is going on metabolically with hypothyroid people experiencing chronic hypo-headaches and what approach one might take to preempt or get relief from such headaches. I did find a Peat quote in which he attributed these headaches to "intestinal inflammation" that could be helped by things like cascara, carrots, etc. I've tried things like this but the headaches persist despite experimenting with T3/T4.

2. theLaw

theLaw Member

@brocktoon

For intestinal inflammation (in order of effectiveness):

Zero Starch
    Cyproheptadine
    Activated Charcoal
    Cooked Potato Juice/BCAA
    Carrots/Bamboo shoots

Also, Ceylon Cinnamon (1t) can give instant relief if it's caused by ammonia.

3. DrJ

DrJ Member

And a good cascara sagrada supplement. The emodin soothes and stabilizes/boosts the metabolic rate of the intestinal tissue, plus keeps you from being constipated (which can lead to headaches).

4. HDD

HDD Member

@brocktoon
    Do they go away after eating breakfast? I’ve had headaches when I wake up that were from low blood sugar .

5. OP
    brocktoon

brocktoon Member

That's a valid question. I am starting to deduce that I may have low blood sugar or glycogen stores despite increasing efforts to ingest sugar, salt, milk and/or honey before bed. I regularly wake up before 6am, eat cereal or some icecream and get back to sleep. It's when I have to get up two hours later that I experience the headaches, which do subside by mid morning.