Carrots And Antibiotic Resistance

J

j.

It's advised to not use antibiotics for long periods because the microorganisms adapt and become resistant.

Why doesn't this apply to the carrot? Is it because the action of the carrot is about dragging the microorganisms out of the body more than killing them on site?

A quick Google search shows there are actually some essential oils doing the work like coconut oil would (activity is seen against some antibiotic resistant strains). I think carrots have been at such a level of exposure to these organisms for so long that their defenses have reached an equilibrium with the bacteria's ability to evolve around it.

Imagine a team of chemical engineers being embedded inside a molecule of penicillin, working for a million years. We wouldn't have carrots if the carrots weren't winning. The studies however show a quicker effect on gram-positive bacteria; I don't know if this could gradually increase the portion of endotoxin producing strains in your gut.

The last paper takes a shot at mechanisms of action in the last page.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/8144415/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/1512175/

The scientists say it doesn't work like any known antibiotic. I'm sure just trying to grow on the surface of a carrot can be hard enough for bacteria.

http://libgen.org/scimag/get.php?doi=10 ... 4.10643369

DaveFoster

@Such_Saturation Do you think that herbal antibiotics (Ceylon cinnamon, oregano oil, neem, berberine, etc.) would not have the risks of developing resistant strains of bacteria in the gut? Also, do you know Ray's opinions on antibiotic resistance?

@Such_Saturation Do you think that herbal antibiotics (Ceylon cinnamon, oregano oil, neem, berberine, etc.) would not have the risks of developing resistant strains of bacteria in the gut? Also, do you know Ray's opinions on antibiotic resistance?

Yes there will be resistance eventually. But there are so many herbs that we will always have something to work with. Even copper doesn't work as well as it used to for disinfecting. I think Ray Peat would advocate parsimony with antibiotics (hospitals, etc.) especially since he would think that by promoting good metabolism you wouldn't get nearly as many infections.

DaveFoster

Yes there will be resistance eventually. But there are so many herbs that we will always have something to work with. Even copper doesn't work as well as it used to for disinfecting. I think Ray Peat would advocate parsimony with antibiotics (hospitals, etc.) especially since he would think that by promoting good metabolism you wouldn't get nearly as many infections.
Thanks for the reply; I got this kind of impression as well, namely that he advocates short-term conservative amounts of antibiotics.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals