Cacao Butter: Strong Anti-cortisol, Anti-anxiety Effects

Honest2Pete

I am concerned (rightly so, judging by lab results from Consumer Lab, etc.) about the High CADMIUM and LEAD in Chocolate bars but primarily in Cocoa Powder. Seems Rapunzel Cocoa Powder is the only one tested adequate levels (I surmise through online research without buying CL report). Got a quantity discount through iHerb @ $7.30 a box and am waiting to put in coffee like I used to with Toxic Hershey's Cocoa. Also excited to make a 4 ingredient brownie with the Cocoa powder, following a Ray Peat inspired blogger who made recipe with NO flour and says is amazing ( I see someone started a thread here with this same recipe). Would also like to make the frosting from her recipe with COCOA BUTTER but gave up looking as I cannot ascertain a COCOA BUTTER WITHOUT CADMIUM. The blogger shows a photo of Power Superfoods Cocoa Butter but it comes from Australia so with shipping is pricey. And I don't know if it is VERIFIED by independent testing to be low in cadmium and lead. And now this thread concerning steric acid, etc., has stirred up my interest to consume even more. Does anyone know of a HEALTHY (Cadmium and Lead at safer levels) Cocoa Butter?

InChristAlone

Organic doesn't necessarily mean lead free. Cocoa is usually produced in third world countries where contamination is a problem.

RobertJM

I've been applying cacao butter transdermally but wondering how much truly gets absorbed. As, when you put your clothes on, it seems your clothing soaks some of it up (wasteful). Other option is to just walk around naked for a while. Only so much i can apply to my face.

managing

I've been applying cacao butter transdermally but wondering how much truly gets absorbed. As, when you put your clothes on, it seems your clothing soaks some of it up (wasteful). Other option is to just walk around naked for a while. Only so much i can apply to my face.
I'd agree with that. But I think definitely enough gets adsorbed to make a difference.

Dave Clark

Can cacao butter be added to coffee along with other bulletproof type ingredients to replace, or add to the dairy butter and coconut oil, etc.? I put gelatin, grass fed butter, coconut oil, raw milk in my coffee sometimes, and wondered if cacao butter in small amounts would be a good addition. Just wondering if anyone tried it, and if there are any taste or texture issues.

RobertJM

I'd agree with that. But I think definitely enough gets adsorbed to make a difference.

I applied over my whole body two hours ago and I am feeling an energizing & mood elevation effect from this. I wasn't expecting that. It feels pretty awesome. My skin feels great as well.

I also eat the nibs. The cacao plant truly is a gift from the Gods.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Can cacao butter be added to coffee along with other bulletproof type ingredients to replace, or add to the dairy butter and coconut oil, etc.? I put gelatin, grass fed butter, coconut oil, raw milk in my coffee sometimes, and wondered if cacao butter in small amounts would be a good addition. Just wondering if anyone tried it, and if there are any taste or texture issues.
I've been adding @LifeGivingStore cocoa butter to my coffee on some days but not all the time.
Excuse my ignorance but by cacao butter do you mean the same as cocoa butter? I suppose I'm not well versed on the difference or even if there is one!
It is a delicious addition to coffee when I'm in the mood for the taste.

Tarmander

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/04/12/lead-in-chocolates.aspx
-implies cocoa butter has heavy metals

https://www.consumerlab.com/answers...-in-dark-chocolate/cadmium_in_dark_chocolate/
-implies that most heavy metals are found in the chocolate parts and the butter actually lowers concentrations of heavy metals

https://www.bulletproof.com/cacao-butter-science-research
-says that their upgraded butter is low in the baddies.

http://www.eurofedlipid.org/meetings/archive/athens/5871/5871_0092.pdf
-study found higher levels of cadmium in cocoa butter over other oils like palm and sunflower

http://ugspace.ug.edu.gh/bitstream/handle/123456789/8375/John Opoku Danquah _ Occurrence Levels of Heavy Metals in Fermented Cocoa Beans and Cocoa Derived Products Produced in Ghana_ 2015.pdf?sequence=1
-This was a more comprehensive study that found the lowest levels of heavy metals in the cocoa butter in comparison to any other part of the chocolate bean/process....basically if you are going to consume chocolate, the butter may be the safest part.

Last edited:

Dave Clark

I just found this article explaining the difference.
https://blog.paleohacks.com/cacao-vs-cocoa/
I have not really researched cocoa/cacao butter since i have not used it before/yet. I do know the difference between cacao and process cocoa, and you sort of reminded me that the same could also be true for the butter. Actually, I was using the term cocoa butter as a generic term, like coconut oil, but as I pursue it I will have to be conscience of that fact. I might try the one Lisa uses, it looks good.

Dave Clark

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/04/12/lead-in-chocolates.aspx
-implies cocoa butter has heavy metals

https://www.consumerlab.com/answers...-in-dark-chocolate/cadmium_in_dark_chocolate/
-implies that most heavy metals are found in the chocolate parts and the butter actually lowers concentrations of heavy metals

https://www.bulletproof.com/cacao-butter-science-research
-says that their upgraded butter is low in the baddies.

http://www.eurofedlipid.org/meetings/archive/athens/5871/5871_0092.pdf
-study found higher levels of cadmium in cocoa butter over other oils like palm and sunflower

http://ugspace.ug.edu.gh/bitstream/handle/123456789/8375/John Opoku Danquah _ Occurrence Levels of Heavy Metals in Fermented Cocoa Beans and Cocoa Derived Products Produced in Ghana_ 2015.pdf?sequence=1
-This was a more comprehensive study that found the lowest levels of heavy metals in the cocoa butter in comparison to any other part of the chocolate bean/process....basically if you are going to consume chocolate, the butter may be the safest part.
Thanks for the links. I am aware of the heavy metal issue with cacao, and it looks like it may be less of a problem in the butter. But, I normally use cacao judiciously, mostly due to cost, and probably will be the same with the butter.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I have not really researched cocoa/cacao butter since i have not used it before/yet. I do know the difference between cacao and process cocoa, and you sort of reminded me that the same could also be true for the butter. Actually, I was using the term cocoa butter as a generic term, like coconut oil, but as I pursue it I will have to be conscience of that fact. I might try the one Lisa uses, it looks good.
I use the same one as Lisa. It's very good.

Honest2Pete

Graci, Mito and Tarmander for your response on dangerous metals. Tarmander those links are great. I eat Lindt Excellence A Touch of Sea Salt Chcolate bar (from Walmart) as it is certified LOW in CADMIUM and LEAD. Have Rapunzel Cocoa Butter on its way. I stopped Cocoa Powder years ago because of metals but a third party site certified Rapunzel to be safer levels so am happy about that. And am really happy that now I can consume Cocoa Butter without undue worry as your links attain that indeed it is the SAFEST roue to consume the benefits of chocolate. Now can make home made lotion (and make up though I rarely use) with Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Coconut oil, etc., and can make frosting and just eat for health so a BIG THANK YOU!!! You've eased my mind. Love this forum.

Honest2Pete

Checked out the Life Giving Store Mito suggested and Lisa and Blosssom use. I had seen site briefly recently but because of heavy metal concerns just gave it and elsewhere a pass. Now that Cocoa Butter is deemed safest I am looking again in earnest this time. The LG Store sounds great but bit too pricey for me as I am buying a lot of health items lately. Did find Wild Cocoa Butter wafers on Amazon but close to the same price but shipping would be free for me. But then found:

Terrasoul Superfood Organic Raw Unrefined (1 lb) for $15.
Two pounds for $26
(Two pounds is only $4 more than one pound at Life Giving Store (though I do like their pledge of Ray Peat doctrines). And free shipping on Amazon.

And it happened that someone asked Terrasoul customer service a question about metal toxins:

“We do not evade these type of questions from our customers. This information would vary from production lot to lot and we do not know which lot you might purchase from. Our cacao powder test well below California Proposition 65 standards, which are the most strict in the world. If you contact us at [email protected] we can share specific test results from your specific lot number. Our most recent lot tested at 0.682 parts per million (ppm) for cadmium (Prop 65 allowance of < 4.1 ppm), 0.117 ppm for lead (Prop 65 allowance of 0.5 ppm), but these amounts will vary for each tested lot.”

Tarmander

Checked out the Life Giving Store Mito suggested and Lisa and Blosssom use. I had seen site briefly recently but because of heavy metal concerns just gave it and elsewhere a pass. Now that Cocoa Butter is deemed safest I am looking again in earnest this time. The LG Store sounds great but bit too pricey for me as I am buying a lot of health items lately. Did find Wild Cocoa Butter wafers on Amazon but close to the same price but shipping would be free for me. But then found:

Terrasoul Superfood Organic Raw Unrefined (1 lb) for $15.
Two pounds for $26
(Two pounds is only $4 more than one pound at Life Giving Store (though I do like their pledge of Ray Peat doctrines). And free shipping on Amazon.

And it happened that someone asked Terrasoul customer service a question about metal toxins:

“We do not evade these type of questions from our customers. This information would vary from production lot to lot and we do not know which lot you might purchase from. Our cacao powder test well below California Proposition 65 standards, which are the most strict in the world. If you contact us at [email protected] we can share specific test results from your specific lot number. Our most recent lot tested at 0.682 parts per million (ppm) for cadmium (Prop 65 allowance of < 4.1 ppm), 0.117 ppm for lead (Prop 65 allowance of 0.5 ppm), but these amounts will vary for each tested lot.”
if you find a cocoa butter that has been tested, let us know. It seems cocoa butter is the safest part to consume, but it is higher then other oils in cadmium. So would be cool to see a source you could buy with a CoA with it.

Vinero

I seem to enjoy great androgenic effects from frying my food in cocoa butter. I'd say it feels similar to high dose K2, which also increases testosterone.
Eating dark chocolate doesn't have this androgenic effect, even though chocolate contains cocoa butter.
I wonder whats going on here.

Last edited:

sladerunner69

i just eat it raw, no cooking, let it melt in the mouth like choc. it comes in little pellets, in the small packets i buy, i think its for making your own chocolate. so i just take 20 pellets in one go several times a day. its not that tasty at first, obviously the texture is basically chocolate like, and then i dont mind the taste after a few days.
When and where did you start experiencing panic attacks?

if you find a cocoa butter that has been tested, let us know. It seems cocoa butter is the safest part to consume, but it is higher then other oils in cadmium. So would be cool to see a source you could buy with a CoA with it.
Hi Tarmander, we contracted a third party laboratory and had the cocoa butter tested. I will attach the results in this post.

cocoa_butter.png

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals