Cocoa Butter - Organic & Fair Trade Certified

L

lollipop

Would you mind sharing the recipe please?
I just made the best cup of hot cocoa ever using their cocoa but I'd love to make my own chocolate candy too.
Sure @Blossom!

SUPER easy ❤️ I used @LifeGivingStore’s products.

Ingredients:

* ~50 grams of the cocoa butter (it is in chunks. I measured it and honestly it was like 52 gm because of the chunks.

* 60 grams of cocoa powder

* ~50-60 grams of maple syrup (I had infused it with a Tahitian vanilla bean for two months - but you could use vanilla extract in place of this)

* ~large pinch of Icelandic Sea Salt

Method:

1) melt cocoa butter in glass Pyrex sitting over a small sauce pan with water at medium low heat - it boiled.

2) Once cocoa butter has melted remove bowl from pan and heat, add in cocoa powder, Sea salt and maple syrup (and vanilla extract if using that).

3) Stir and mix using whisk for a few minutes until mixed and shiny - pour into silicone molds and let cool and harden.

I sped it up by putting in fridge. Should have been for 5 min and I forgot it and took out 30 min later. I noticed it was dull not shiny any more. But still yummmmy!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Sure @Blossom!

SUPER easy ❤️ I used @LifeGivingStore’s products.

Ingredients:

* ~50 grams of the cocoa butter (it is in chunks. I measured it and honestly it was like 52 gm because of the chunks.

* 60 grams of cocoa powder

* ~50-60 grams of maple syrup (I had infused it with a Tahitian vanilla bean for two months - but you could use vanilla extract in place of this)

* ~large pinch of Icelandic Sea Salt

Method:

1) melt cocoa butter in glass Pyrex sitting over a small sauce pan with water at medium low heat - it boiled.

2) Once cocoa butter has melted remove bowl from pan and heat, add in cocoa powder, Sea salt and maple syrup (and vanilla extract if using that).

3) Stir and mix using whisk for a few minutes until mixed and shiny - pour into silicone molds and let cool and harden.

I sped it up by putting in fridge. Should have been for 5 min and I forgot it and took out 30 min later. I noticed it was dull not shiny any more. But still yummmmy!
Thank you so much Lisa!

OP
LifeGivingStore
Oh my!!! Made my chocolate @LifeGivingStore using your cocoa powder and this cocoa butter:

SUPER yummy...the ingredients are like seriously the best at a fraction of the cost of purchasing store chocolate bars...

I lost the shine on this batch as I left in fridge too long. Did NOT affect the yummmmy taste - lol. Used my organic Tahitian vanilla bean infused maple syrup for sweetener. I let the vanilla bean infuse in the maple syrup for 2 months. Also added a large pinch of sea salt to this batch.

View attachment 8580View attachment 8581
Lisa, thank you for posting pictures and recipe! :) I bet it is delicious!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
IMG_0707.JPG
Made these today based on @lisaferraro's recipe. I had to use honey because my maple syrup was expired but they still turned out great!

Ulysses

Last edited:
L

lollipop

View attachment 8737 Made these today based on @lisaferraro's recipe. I had to use honey because my maple syrup was expired but they still turned out great!
WoW!! Look soooooo yummy. I LOVE your molds ❤️

How does the honey taste? I might try with the honey.

I also recently changed the recipe for larger quantities:

100gm cocoa butter
100gm cocoa powder
1/2 cup maple syrup
pinch of sea salt

Found it easier to melt cocoa butter and add in maple syrup and using whisk stir thoroughly off heat AND then add in sea salt and cocoa powder. Seemed to mix easier.

Also thought the chocolate looks shinier.

F69CC0C3-7D2C-4BD9-B2DD-7DB8C4D39E2B.jpeg

Blossom

Forum Supporter
WoW!! Look soooooo yummy. I LOVE your molds ❤️

How does the honey taste? I might try with the honey.

I also recently changed the recipe for larger quantities:

100gm cocoa butter
100gm cocoa powder
1/2 cup maple syrup
pinch of sea salt

Found it easier to melt cocoa butter and add in maple syrup and using whisk stir thoroughly off heat AND then add in sea salt and cocoa powder. Seemed to mix easier.

Also thought the chocolate looks shinier.

View attachment 8738
I think it tastes better than any store bought chocolate I've ever tasted!
I would like to try the recipe with maple syrup for comparison though. Also like you, I think I'll make a larger batch next time because my family already ate almost all of what I made today! It was such a hit that I only have one piece left. :arghh:
My candy molds came from Bed Bath and Beyond.
Thanks again Lisa for posting your recipe!!!

L

lollipop

Also like you, I think I'll make a larger batch next time because my family already ate almost all of what I made today! It was such a hit that I only have one piece left. :arghh:
LoLoL! Fantastic ❤️

Mossy

This may sound like a question where the answer should be obvious, but I thought I'd ask: is a 50:50 mix of cocoa butter:cocoa powder 100% dark chocolate?

Mossy

This may sound like a question where the answer should be obvious, but I thought I'd ask: is a 50:50 mix of cocoa butter:cocoa powder 100% dark chocolate?
P.S. Maybe I should clarify my question. What I'm attempting to find out is, is the cocoa butter needed to make it chocolate, or is the powder technically 100% chocolate, and adding the butter is lessening the potency/percentage?

Hope this helped to clarify and not confuse (prove my stupidity :bucktooth:).

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I don't know the exact percentage but wondered the same thing myself! I haven't had time to research it but I assumed the more sweetener added the lower the percentage would be. I added 3 tbsp honey and mine tasted similar to a 90% dark chocolate bar from the store. I'm going to make it a bit sweeter next time.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
If you do an internet search on "How to make dark chocolate" you will get a ton of recipes. I did a quick scan and it looks like some use a 50/50 ratio, others 60/40 powder to butter. But you are pretty spot on.

Last edited:

Mossy

I don't know the exact percentage but wondered the same thing myself! I haven't had time to research it but I assumed the more sweetener added the lower the percentage would be. I added 3 tbsp honey and mine tasted similar to a 90% dark chocolate bar from the store. I'm going to make it a bit sweeter next time.
Ok, I feel a little better, then. ;) Yeah, my thought as well--the less sugar, the more pure, I just wasn't sure about the ratio. But, looks like Charlie confirmed a 50/50 ratio could be considered 100%.

If you do an internet search on "How to make dark chocolate" you will get a ton of recipes. I did a quick scan and it looks like some use a 50/50 ratio, others 60/40 powder to butter. But you are pretty spot on.
Thanks, charlie.:chaplin I appreciate you doing the search--not that I didn't want to, but I like to pick the minds of those on this forum, they usually have the best answers.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Mossy, I made mine with 1/2 cup cocoa powder and 1/2 cup melted cocoa butter plus 3 tbsp honey and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. I don't have a scale to measure in grams but it turned out great.

Mossy

@Mossy, I made mine with 1/2 cup cocoa powder and 1/2 cup melted cocoa butter plus 3 tbsp honey and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. I don't have a scale to measure in grams but it turned out great.
Awesome--thanks, Blossom! And, as you say, that is probably about 90%. The vanilla is a good idea, as I see that is in most ingredients lists. I find myself out of dark chocolate quite a bit, but now I have the ingredients, and recipe, to make my own.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I just made my third batch. This time I used 1/2 cup cocoa butter, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1/4 c maple syrup and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
The maple syrup as recommended by @lisaferraro is better than honey in this recipe.

L

lollipop

I just made my third batch. This time I used 1/2 cup cocoa butter, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1/4 c maple syrup and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
The maple syrup as recommended by @lisaferraro is better than honey in this recipe.
Yummmmy! You inspired me :): I might make a batch today.

I decided to take a break from coffee. I have been making hot chocolate using this cocoa powder, cane sugar, vanilla extract and 1% milk in the mornings. I make one cup and my husband and I share it as it is super rich. It is amazing how easy it is to make! I am sure your family would love it @Blossom ❤️

Here is the recipe:

2 tbls cocoa powder - @LifeGivingStore one (one side comment - seriously the BEST quality and tasting cocoa powder I have ever tasted)

2 tbls cane sugar - can use only 1 tbl if preferred.

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup 1%milk

Put everything in a saucepan on med-low and stir regularly until mixed and hot! Pour and serve - yummmmy.