B1 Calf Cramping

Katty

I started B1 (benfotiamine) about 3-4 weeks ago. I'm taking 80mg one time a day. Had some decent responses (sleeping a little better, a little warmer, skin a little better). However, I've noticed some calf cramping the past 2 weeks or so. It's not painful, but feels like mild pinches or cramps in my calves.
The only major change in the last couple weeks I can think of that would cause the calf cramping is the addition of benfotiamine. Anyone know if there's a reason the B1 would cause this?

I've taken magnesium and calcium for a couple years-- I do magnesium oil transdermally (I'm not that consistent with it, but about 6-8 sprays of the Ancient Minerals per day). For calcium I take 1/4 tsp of egg shell powder 2-3 times per day.

Taking more calcium sometimes seems to stop the cramping, and sometimes cramping comes on right after I spray the magnesium. But it's not always consistent.

Would love some thoughts on this.
Thanks!

jaguar43

When your metabolic rate increases loss of water occurs. Resulting into lost of minerals. Potassium is another important mineral used for cramping.

OP
K

Katty

Thanks for your response!

I usually have at least 1 banana per day, plus a little OJ, and sometimes other fruit thrown in or a potato. I figured that would cover me for the potassium. But maybe not. I'll try increasing potassium and see if that helps.
I also feel like even though I'm a tad warmer with the B1, I don't feel like my metabolic rate has increased a ton such that I'd lose a bunch of minerals- but hard to say, I suppose.

Mittir

Your condition is quite confusing. Do you have the muscle cramp at night?
RP has mentioned that lack of light causes cells to be less energized.
Light therapy can be very beneficial here.
Low intake of calcium excites cell and that can result in muscle cramp.
If you are having cramp due to magnesium deficiency then
any of the alkaline minerals can improve the condition by
sparing magnesium loss. Sodium, Magnesium, potassium and calcium are
the alkaline minerals. Increasing the intake of total alkaline minerals
should improve your condition. These minerals compensate for each other
to a great extent. if you are low in magnesium then increasing intake of other
3 minerals can compensate for that. Sodium and calcium both
increases metabolism. Low thyroid people tend to have problem retaining
magnesium and sodium. Bad excipients in B1 supplement can be a source of problem.
Magnesium supposed to improve your cramps. You can try increasing
your magnesium intake from foods or try Epsom salt bath/foot bath to
increase magnesium intake. RP has mentioned low CO2 causing cramps.
You can try bag breathing 1-2 minutes few times a day to see if it
improves your condition. Slight increase in metabolism can cause
problem if you are already deficient in minerals and hypothyroid.

OP
K

Katty

Yes, sometimes the cramps seem more prominent at night, but not always.
I would assume magnesium would be the answer, but sometimes right after I spray magnesium, the cramping starts. Also, when I used to take Epsom salt baths regularly, my calves would start to cramp as soon as I got in the bath... to me, that symptom seems to say that I was overdoing the magnesium. But perhaps would it be possible to get cramps from the magnesium trying to get into the cell? Or some other reason, as opposed to simply being too much magnesium?

Also, when I drink coconut water a couple days in a row -- only about 4oz each day -- I get loose stools. Makes me think I'm not that deficient in potassium. So it seems I would need sodium to counteract that. So maybe sodium is the answer here.

Also, I'm a bit confused about the idea of increase in metabolism... if my metabolism increases slightly, wouldn't my thyroid function increase slightly too? Not that that means I wouldn't still be somewhat hypothyroid... just trying to understand. I guess I sort of thought that metabolic function and thyroid function were somewhat synonymous.

Marcia

Forum Supporter
Quinton seawater electrolytes can be ordered from Quicksiliver Scientific. If you are drinking water that is distilled or deionized, you may be deficient in electrolytes. I am finding that drinking plain water may not be as wonderful as I was taught to believe. There is a bundle pack of 4 different Quinton combinations that may be helpful. If not, there is always, the old wives recommendation of having a teaspoon of yellow mustard. Let me know if it works.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals