Calcium and muscle cramps

Jing

For awhile I've been taking calcium from this Amazon product ASIN B0018LXHPKView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifestream-100g-Natural-Calcium-Powder/dp/B0018LXHPK/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?crid=13E98XYLW6JOL&dchild=1&keywords=calcium+algae&qid=1634599775&sprefix=calcium+al&sr=8-9
I've noticed if I don't take calcium I will feel lots of numbness in my right leg when sitting down seems to go numb fast but with calcium I don't get numb. Now I could take up to 4 grams of elemental calcium from this supplement and have no muscle cramps i thought I would try calcium chloride today because that lifestream calcium has been a little rough on my stomach but just 500mg elemental calcium from chloride has given me muscle cramps in my forearms and biceps the same thing happened when I was taking calcium carbonate awhile ago aswell. So what's the deal with this? Is my body using the lifestream calcium better than chloride and carbonate??

It's not magnesium because I've been taking the same amount of magnesium.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
This might not be helpful to you but wanted to share my experience that the more calcium I eat and supplement the better I feel. I worry about getting over 2g but it seems the minimum needed to help all kinds of psychological and neuromuscular symptoms.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
The only input I can give is that magnesium should be taken with calcium. And both are bivalent cations. The chlorites of these represent a 2:1 valence ratio which will weaken (a little) the blood's colloidal system. I would therefore take calcium and magnesium citrate, these have a valence ratio of 2:3, since the citrate is negative trivalent. Here is a graph from Thomas M. Riddick's book on the Zeta Potential and colloidal stability:

2021-01-17 Zeta Potential Graph New.jpg

Although calcium or magnesium citrate are not in this graph, the effect of the valence ratio on the Zeta Potential is obvious. The more negative the Zeta Potential, the more stable the colloidal system, such as blood. I also included the ranges of concentration of magnesium and calcium plasma concentration. However, these seem to be chloride based! The blood is a mix of various anions, so there are also phosphates (phosphate should be kept in the range 1.4–2.0 mmol/L or 133–190 mg/L Phosphate Blood Level - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics), but salt with 6.14g/L is the mayor contributor. Therefore, chloride is the anion with the highest concentration. I am not a doctor but a physicist, so my understanding about the importance of the electrolytes in the blood is very limited...

Here again a link to the chapter on cardiovascular disease and the Zeta Potential from Riddick's book:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals