Body Odor From B1

Katty

I think I discovered the source of my body odor... I think it's from B1. I started B1 (initially as benfotiamine, and then switched to regular B1) in late May and some time in spring or maybe early summer I started to smell funky. I switched from NDT to synthetics around June or so, and I thought it was the synthetics causing the problem. I switched the brand of synthetics, and then I went off the T4 altogether a little more than 2 weeks ago (still on T3)- smell persists.

A quick internet search showed one site saying excess B1 can cause skunk like body odors. And voila. Admittedly, only found this info on one site, so I don't know if it's legit, but seems like it might be the answer.

Anyone else have a similar experience with B1? Also, does anyone know if the smell means I have too much B1, or if just means my body doesn't metabolize it properly? I'm hoping it just means I'm replete.
And does anyone know if the smell would go away if I switched back to benfotiamine instead of staying on the regular thiamine B1?

OP
K

Katty

Hard to describe. A little oniony, like normal b.o., but also a little metallic. And it seems to come out not only on my skin but also when I go to the bathroom. The online site I found said skunk-like odor, and that's kind of accurate when it gets strong. Delish, right?
I've never smelled like this before, so I know it's something new I'm taking.

Gl;itch.e

Sounds a bit weird. Do you use the carrot salad much? Im wondering if its a bacterial thing. Maybe too much of a certain type/s of bacteria that might be thriving with extra B1. Not sure exactly tbh.

It is something special, albeit covered by chemical overtones. It does stay in clothes for a long time.

OP
K

Katty

Gl;itch.e said:
Sounds a bit weird. Do you use the carrot salad much? Im wondering if its a bacterial thing. Maybe too much of a certain type/s of bacteria that might be thriving with extra B1. Not sure exactly tbh.
I used to use the carrot daily, but I turned a bit yellow so I backed off. Since this problem started, I probably eat a carrot, on average, 2-3 days per week. I've never had the smell before, but I suppose it could be some type of bacteria reacting with the B1. Hopefully cutting out the B1 will solve the issue, but I'm wondering if I'll need to shore up other B vitamins to fully combat it.

Also, found a couple websites saying that taking B1 can repel mosquitos because of the smell B1 makes on a person's skin. So seems my theory here may be legit (though I think I'm repelling more than Mosquitos at this point :lol: )

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Interesting. Two or 3 weeks ago I was complimenting myself on how little my underarm sweat smelled and had to use very little baking soda for my underarms. Well, about 5 days ago I started back up B1......low and behold....stinky pits. Gonna stop the B1 for a couple days to see if that reverses.

Could this be some kind of super detox action going on?

I judge from the smell of the bulk powder, which is already quite noticeable and different from other similar supplements. It simply mixes with the sweat, I think. Surely, more potent forms of the vitamin would imply less milligrams and less smell.

OP
K

Katty

Charlie said:
Interesting. Two or 3 weeks ago I was complimenting myself on how little my underarm sweat smelled and had to use very little baking soda for my underarms. Well, about 5 days ago I started back up B1......low and behold....stinky pits. Gonna stop the B1 for a couple days to see if that reverses.

Could this be some kind of super detox action going on?

Supposedly it takes about 2 weeks to get it out of your system, so we'll see. Not sure if it's a detox or what. I wish someone could explain the mechanism.
I remember when I first started the benfotiamine I felt like it made me warmer and a tad energetic, and even helped my skin a bit. But these results only lasted about 2 weeks or so. So maybe I got all the benefit I could out of supplementing for that time.

Gl;itch.e

How much and what type are you guys taking? I dont have any issues but Im only taking about 200mg a day (100mg split)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am taking Swansons 100mg twice a day.

OP
K

Katty

Gl;itch.e said:
How much and what type are you guys taking? I dont have any issues but Im only taking about 200mg a day (100mg split)
When I first started, I was taking 80mg of benfotiamine in the morning. Then I added in 100mg of regular thiamine/B1 at night. Then for the last couple months I've just been doing 100mg once in the morning. So really only 100mg a day and never more than 200mg per day.

Not sure what that says about how I metabolize it. Or maybe about how I need other vitamins or minerals to complement it.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
This is quite similar if not the same smell I got when I started Peating. And others have reported the smell too. I was not taking any B1 in the beginning so that could not have been it.

OP
K

Katty

I'm also kind of wondering if dairy plays a role. I do think B1 is a big part of the problem, but I also increased my dairy around the same time as starting B1. I'm a little better digesting it, but I still have some digestive issues, so maybe there is fermentation going on in my gut- somehow reacting with the B1. Or maybe it's something else about the dairy. It's fairly common for people to complain that dairy causes body odor or bad breath.

natedawggh

Katty said:
I think I discovered the source of my body odor... I think it's from B1. I started B1 (initially as benfotiamine, and then switched to regular B1) in late May and some time in spring or maybe early summer I started to smell funky.

I just started taking higher doses of B1 about a week ago... I immediately noticed a significant increase in my temperature and pulse rate, and higher temperatures into the night. About a day ago I started smelling, too, and it seems like the exact same smell as I had when I tried supplementing fresh garlic, which when I did that was about four-six cloves a day (I DO NOT RECOMMEND GARLIC).

I found this in a quick internet search:

"Thiamine, or vitamin B1, is one of two vitamins that contains sulfur. It is a water-soluble vitamin and is an essential part of your heart, muscle and nervous system functions. Thiamine is an important part of your daily diet because it is needed to process fats, carbohydrates and protein. The vitamin converts carbohydrates to energy and helps you maintain a normal metabolism. It is essential for skin, hair and nail health. Thiamine deficiency can result in a loss of hair and can cause nerve damage, fatigue and weakness. Severe thiamine deficiency can also lead to brain damage. Alcoholism is a common cause of thiamine deficiency."

I bet the increase in sulfur from the B1 is what both causes the smell and the antibacterial actions. The best part of my Thiamine regimen is that is has completely suppressed my white tongue symptoms.

Gl;itch.e

natedawggh said:
Katty said:
I think I discovered the source of my body odor... I think it's from B1. I started B1 (initially as benfotiamine, and then switched to regular B1) in late May and some time in spring or maybe early summer I started to smell funky.

I just started taking higher doses of B1 about a week ago... I immediately noticed a significant increase in my temperature and pulse rate, and higher temperatures into the night. About a day ago I started smelling, too, and it seems like the exact same smell as I had when I tried supplementing fresh garlic, which when I did that was about four-six cloves a day (I DO NOT RECOMMEND GARLIC).

I found this in a quick internet search:

"Thiamine, or vitamin B1, is one of two vitamins that contains sulfur. It is a water-soluble vitamin and is an essential part of your heart, muscle and nervous system functions. Thiamine is an important part of your daily diet because it is needed to process fats, carbohydrates and protein. The vitamin converts carbohydrates to energy and helps you maintain a normal metabolism. It is essential for skin, hair and nail health. Thiamine deficiency can result in a loss of hair and can cause nerve damage, fatigue and weakness. Severe thiamine deficiency can also lead to brain damage. Alcoholism is a common cause of thiamine deficiency."

I bet the increase in sulfur from the B1 is what both causes the smell and the antibacterial actions. The best part of my Thiamine regimen is that is has completely suppressed my white tongue symptoms.
Maybe this is why I have no problems with B1. I believe a lot of my issues are related to being deficient in sulphur. I have been supplementing with a lot of taurine (sulphur containing amino acid) and after a long time on it at high doses will notice my stool smelling more sulphury. When this happens I think it denotes a saturation of sorts.

OP
K

Katty

Just an update in case anyone is on the edge of his/her seat wondering about my body odor :lol:

It's definitely better, but not completely gone. I certainly notice more of a smell when I'm a bit nervous- probably adrenaline. And it seems to be a bit worse in the 2nd half of my cycle. But again, so much better since cutting out B1.
I've mentioned this before, but I think I must have put some of my B vitamins out of whack taking so much B1. So now I need to work on adding more Bs.

I am one of those that needs to take lots of extra B vits or I just don't feel well, I'm guessing it has to do with gut issues, but I take more B-1 than anything else. I've noticed it increases my metabolism IMMENSELY and I love it dearly. However, If I get to busy and forget to eat enough food, carbs in particular, I will start to burn fat and only then will I begin to smell like cat pee, nice eh? I never smell with B-1 UNLESS I haven't eaten enough. :2cents

Sheila

I concur with this finding. Not sufficient food is in the mix somewhere for me with exacerbations in the past at menstruation. I suspect it is liver related. B1 made a friend of mine feel like she was on speed after a few days, now i suspect it might be adrenalin kicking in from accidentally lowered fuel levels. A lower dose might be called for. RP suggested 100mg tds recently, but has mentioned 100mg across the day before. Horses for courses. Thanks for all the insights. Sheila

If you smell like acetone it could be ketosis. B1 is very distinctive in smell and frankly I'm not concerned that I could smell it since I was taking well over a gram.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals