Low Toxin Logs Attempting low vit A / low toxin lifestyle

m_arch

Hey all,

Starting the low vit A diet today and will give it a trial run for 30 days.

Current issues:
- Recurring sebaceous cysts
- Knee cartilage pain / degradation
- Dry eyes since 18 (i'm 32 now)
- Weak gut

I've previously taken a few rounds of accutane for acne, my last being around when I was 18 and after finishing that dose my eyes have seemingly had permanent issues with dryness.
My biggest current concerns though are the recurring cysts and my terrible knees: the doctor said my knees look like a 50 or 60 year olds.
The current state of my knees is i've got an articular cartilage tear in my left knee and the right knee is sore now too I think from compensating for the left, however it does feel systemically my whole body is weaker and not recovering well in general. It hurts to walk, even waking up in the morning.
Reading Grant's latest blog post, it seems he had massive benefits to his joints in 21 days, I am hoping for the same: Nine-Year Update

I've also started a low dose long-term antibiotic for the sebaceous cysts, which is commonly used to control acne. The problem being is that it makes me sunburn more easily. Luckily in Australia we are going into winter.

I've ordered some magnesium, potassium and niacin to help the detox process.

The plan:
- Continue the low dose antibiotic
- Start the no vitamin A diet / avoid vitamin A in supplements
- Start off slowly with niacin as well as use a magnesium / potassium spray (the one mentioned here)
- Use charcoal if required for detoxing in the first week or two with the niacin
- Continue the above for 30 days and re-assess the joint health above (in bold)

mosaic01

- Continue the low dose antibiotic

You need to stop that one if you want to access the benefits of the low A diet. Goes completely contrary to what you want to achieve, stopping the detoxification process. It's probably doxy or minocycline?

Doxycycline has been associated with rare instances of hepatic injury, generally arising within 1 to 2 weeks of starting therapy, sometimes with a history of previous administration of the agent without injury. The pattern of injury ranges from hepatocellular to cholestatic and is probably most commonly mixed. The onset is often abrupt and can be accompanied by signs of hypersensitivity, such as fever, rash and eosinophilia (DRESS syndrome). Recovery is usually rapid and usually complete within 4 to 6 weeks. However, instances of severe and prolonged cholestatic liver injury have been reported with oral doxycycline.

- Use charcoal if required for detoxing in the first week or two with the niacin

While you can see massive improvements during the first weeks, detoxing takes years, and it's reasonable to take a binder for the entire duration of the detoxification process.

Do you take glycine or collagen? That could help as well.

Last edited:
OP
m_arch

m_arch

You need to stop that one if you want to access the benefits of the low A diet. Goes completely contrary to what you want to achieve, stopping the detoxification process. It's probably doxy or minocycline?

it is doxycycline - thanks for the heads up. i will stop it. i've only started it today. it seemed Peat approved but yeah i guess this low toxin idea doesn't run in the same vein.

Crafting my diet plan now before going grocery shopping, thinking something like this:
- 1 cup apple juice (will add collagen to this)
- 1 cup plain oats + 1 tblspn honey
- 2 cups white rice
- lean beef or chicken (500g split between two meals, with 1 cup of rice)
- 1 tblspn olive oil
- 1 banana

with the lean beef, its only 2% RDI of vit A.
with the chicken, its only 3% RDI of vit A (i won't be having skin).

i normally have a banana and almond milk as a smoothie, but it seems any sort of non-dairy milk on cronometer is coming up as >10% RDI vit A. Any ideas or should I just give up the smoothie?

what do people have with the oats? i was thinking just to add some honey, since it seems like i'll be eating it with water. Maybe i'll add the banana to this too.

mosaic01

it is doxycycline - thanks for the heads up. i will stop it. i've only started it today. it seemed Peat approved but yeah i guess this low toxin idea doesn't run in the same vein.

Crafting my diet plan now before going grocery shopping, thinking something like this:
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 tblspn olive oil
- 1 banana

i normally have a banana and almond milk as a smoothie, but it seems any sort of non-dairy milk on cronometer is coming up as >10% RDI vit A. Any ideas or should I just give up the smoothie?

what do people have with the oats? i was thinking just to add some honey, since it seems like i'll be eating it with water. Maybe i'll add the banana to this too.

Almonds and bananas are fine. Over time I would reduce apple juice and replace with plain apples due to the fructose content and apple fiber helping with detox.

There's lots of food lists floating around here in the forum or elsewhere like Vitamin A Detox Diet + Free Printable Food Lists

Edit: Forgot to add that almonds are very high in oxalates. There are better options for nuts, like macadamia. But all nuts are problematic.

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Starting the low vit A diet today and will give it a trial run for 30 days.
You will likely see energy improvements during this time but 30 days is not a good run as detoxing is a multi year process.
- Recurring sebaceous cysts
Typical toxicity symptoms.
- Dry eyes since 18 (i'm 32 now)
Typical "vitamin A" toxicity symptoms.
- Knee cartilage pain / degradation
Again typical toxicity symptoms that can easily be turned around.
I would drop apple juice soon as possible.

Morten

- 2 cups white rice
- 1 tblspn olive oil
- 1 banana

What about coconut milk? Make your own.

OP
m_arch

m_arch

Thanks for the replies guys.

@charlie @Morten whats bad about apple juice? its low Vit A. I'm getting the one with the pulp.

i'm hoping the cartilage issue is easily resolved as this is my biggest complaint by a mile, ruining my life at the moment. If i resolves or improve decently in the 30 days i'll be sticking with this for years. I've always liked meat and rice as my favourite foods, no wonder if my body was vitamin A overloaded.

DanDare

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the replies guys.

@charlie @Morten whats bad about apple juice? its low Vit A. I'm getting the one with the pulp.

i'm hoping the cartilage issue is easily resolved as this is my biggest complaint by a mile, ruining my life at the moment. If i resolves or improve decently in the 30 days i'll be sticking with this for years. I've always liked meat and rice as my favourite foods, no wonder if my body was vitamin A overloaded.
In addition to what has been said, I think this is a good idea for knees:

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/0ftx7na1cww?si=l37xtl_4fChev9uy

I would also wipe butter/ ghee off the list posted above.

Joint issues I would avoid nightshade family also

OP
m_arch

m_arch

grapes

IMHO, 30 days is very short. I took accutane for 5-6 months, now on a few years of low A, and still not cured. Some of symptoms, like week knees cartilage, started on the diet/detoxing, not before.

purple pill

I Just cook with water and salt to taste as you would rice, pasta etc. 100g of oats to 350g-400g of water depending on consistency preference. Takes some getting used to, cooked with milk and sugar is like having a desert not so much with water and salt....does provide steadier energy supply without gumming up the system though. I think when you first start dropping all the simple sugar sources like milk, fruit juices, coke etc it can take a good while for the body and/or gut bacteria to adjust. I've got dextrose stocked up(as per charlies recommendation as an alternative to sucrose) and occasionally use a teaspoon or two in the oats if need an extra fuel kick. Not tried bananas with oats, does sound like a better alternative though.

Peater

IMHO, 30 days is very short. I took accutane for 5-6 months, now on a few years of low A, and still not cured. Some of symptoms, like week knees cartilage, started on the diet/detoxing, not before.
No improvement in my shoulder pain yet. This started pre-Peat so I am not doing low VA just for that, but it would be nice if it did get better! I doubt it would be an overnight cure anyway.

OP
m_arch

m_arch

I Just cook with water and salt to taste as you would rice, pasta etc. 100g of oats to 350g-400g of water depending on consistency preference. Takes some getting used to, cooked with milk and sugar is like having a desert not so much with water and salt....does provide steadier energy supply without gumming up the system though. I think when you first start dropping all the simple sugar sources like milk, fruit juices, coke etc it can take a good while for the body and/or gut bacteria to adjust. I've got dextrose stocked up(as per charlies recommendation as an alternative to sucrose) and occasionally use a teaspoon or two in the oats if need an extra fuel kick. Not tried bananas with oats, does sound like a better alternative though.
Ah I just soaked the oats over night and then ate them in the water they soaked in. Are we supposed to drain that water? Do we need to cook them? With honey and banana I had a 1 dry cup of oats easily this morning. It was pretty tasty.

Whats wrong with the sugar? Honey and apple juice don't have vitamin A.

Today was my first full day of almost no vit A. And half a day yesterday. Had a great bowel movement for the first time in awhile today. I think this way of eating will be pretty easy for me. I like the oats and meat and rice was already my staple (although id add plenty of colourful veggies). I added the collagen to an apple juice, but I could also just add this to the meat and rice sprinkled on top.

OP
m_arch

m_arch

No improvement in my shoulder pain yet. This started pre-Peat so I am not doing low VA just for that, but it would be nice if it did get better! I doubt it would be an overnight cure anyway.
How long have you been on it?

@grapes sorry to hear. Are you doing any physical exercise or had existing injuries to your knees, or it just came out of nowhere?

Peater

Ah I just soaked the oats over night and then ate them in the water they soaked in. Are we supposed to drain that water? Do we need to cook them? With honey and banana I had a 1 dry cup of oats easily this morning. It was pretty tasty.

Today was my first full day of almost no vit A. And half a day yesterday. Had a great bowel movement for the first time I awhile today. I think this way of eating will be pretty easy for me. I like the oats and meat and rice was already my staple. I added the collagen to an apple juice, but I could also just add this to the meat and rice sprinkled on top.
I soak oat groats over, discard the water and rinse thoroughly, it runs cloudy for a while. I think normal oats have been steamed and don't need this.

Agree on the ease of eating. One of the easiest changes I have ever made. Using canned beans and minced beef a meal takes 15 minutes.

Peater

How long have you been on it?

@grapes sorry to hear. Are you doing any physical exercise or had existing injuries to your knees, or it just came out of nowhere?
I don't remember precisely but at least 2 months I think. Although I have had egg yolks. I've used up the ones I had so now I will give it a week without them and see what I notice.

OP
m_arch

m_arch

I don't remember precisely but at least 2 months I think. Although I have had egg yolks. I've used up the ones I had so now I will give it a week without them and see what I notice.
Good luck with it. Are you doing any other interventions like niacin or collagen or the spray?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The fructose in table sugar and honey are a burden on the liver.

mosaic01

The diet evolved from low A to low toxin in general, and too much fructose burdens the liver. Without the fiber, apples miss a big benefit.

It's easy to drink a liter of apple juice (60g fructose), while 2 apples only have 20g fructose and due to the fiber it's difficult to overeat on apples.

I think there's lots of room for individual variations as long as you keep the vitamin A low. It takes a while to experiment and arrive at something that works.

Removing spices, coffee and chocolate is very important generally.

The goal is to remove everything that has lots of toxins (for example heavy metals, like in seafood) or stressors (fructose is not an outright toxin but can stress the liver).

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals