Recovering "used up" cartilage ?

burtlancast

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

I have no way to know.

But keep in mind my horsetail infusion contains other beneficial chemicals, like
Vit K.

And it's dirt cheap.
Next time i will make infusion.

I wonder whether silica is something that is often missing in the diet.

burtlancast

Dave Clark

OSA is what is the most bioavailable: Biological and therapeutic effects of ortho-silicic acid and some ortho-silicic acid-releasing compounds: New perspectives for therapy - Nutrition & Metabolism
Dennis Crouse, a retired chemist from Harvard wrote books on silica, and how to make silica water at home for pennies. I use to buy BioSil and others, but I have been making Silicade for about 5 years now for pennies to the gallon. Here is his recipe link:

im a little bit baffled now as cartilages are mostly made of type 2 collagen, and gelatine is type 1/3, wouldn't be worth getting also type 2 collagen source ot it doesn't really matter as much?
I’m still a bit confused about the detains of collagen too Mike. As with other supplements, it can cause problems. I know the powders are higher in heavy metals from using bones and boiling them too long. This is why I use cartilage bones and skin, as RP suggests, to make mine, and do a short boil, about 2 hours now for chicken and under 5 hours for my beef bone broth. It am thinking bone broth and the powdered forms is akin to “like cures like” situation. Boiling skin helps the skin, boiling cartilage repairs cartilage and boiling bones builds bones..

“Aging and sickness tend to support the vicious cycles that lead to the progressive deterioration of the collagenous matrix. Stress (even anxiety-induced hyperventilation) produces alkalosis, and alkalosis favors increased collagen synthesis, while lower pH inhibits it (Frick, et al., 1997). For example, within a minute or two of hyperventilating, platelets release serotonin, and serotonin is a major promoter of collagen synthesis and fibrosis." -Ray Peat

“for a long time, gelatin's therapeutic effect in arthritis was assumed to result from its use in repairing the cartilage or other connective tissues around joints, simply because those tissues contain so much collagen.
Inflammation produces fibrosis, because stress, hypoxia, and inadequate supply of glucose stimulate the fibroblasts to produce increased amounts of collagen." -Ray Peat

Haidut posted this, in his thread linked below…

“Well, multiple animal studies I posted in the last beg to disagree and point to both high metabolism and progesterone as potent regenerative factors that may be able to spur regrowth of limbs in non-salamander organisms, including humans.”

“Frogs that did not receive the progesterone treatment developed cartilaginous spikes at the amputation site, whereas ones that wore the hormone delivering bioreactor for one day regrew a paddle-shaped appendage.”

“As the study notes, the further away from the torso a specific damaged appendage is the "younger" it is and the more capable of regeneration. They do not provide an explanation for this difference in bone/cartilage "age" depending on location, but one possible explanation is the higher levels of CO2 and youthful steroid synthesis in limbs. This matches quite well the regenerative effects of progesterone and elevated metabolism demonstrated by the studies listed earlier in the post.”

"cartilage in human joints can repair itself through a process similar to that used by creatures such as salamanders and zebrafish to regenerate limbs," according to the press release by Duke Health, which helped lead the research. These findings could open the door to new treatments for joint injuries and diseases like osteoarthritis -- and perhaps even lead to human limb regeneration one day. Salamanders, axolotl, and other animals with regenerative abilities have a type of molecule called microRNA, which help regulate joint tissue repair. We have microRNA too, but our mechanism for cartilage repair is stronger in some parts of the body, the study found. For example, the microRNA molecules are more active in our ankles, and less active in our knees and hips."”

“The study also found that the "age" of cartilage -- meaning whether proteins have changed structure or undergone amino acid conversions -- depends on its location in the body. Cartilage is "young" in the ankles, "middle-aged" in the knees, and "old" in the hips. This correlation lines up with how animals regenerate fastest at the furthest tips of their bodies, like tails or the ends of legs. These factors -- the activity level of microRNA and the age of cartilage -- explain why ankle injuries heal faster than knee and hip injuries, and there are fewer instances of arthritis in the ankle compared to the other two areas. Scientists have known for years that humans do have some regenerative capabilities -- when children's finger tips are amputated, the tip can regenerate when treated correctly. But it was widely believed that these capabilities were limited, and that humans were "unable to counteract cumulative damage" to their joints, the study said -- which these new findings disprove."“

Healthseeker

My take on this is about hormone balance where op is a fitness person. If estrogen goes too low, your joint health suffers this is well known in fitness circles.

S.Holmes

OSA is what is the most bioavailable: Biological and therapeutic effects of ortho-silicic acid and some ortho-silicic acid-releasing compounds: New perspectives for therapy - Nutrition & Metabolism
Dennis Crouse, a retired chemist from Harvard wrote books on silica, and how to make silica water at home for pennies. I use to buy BioSil and others, but I have been making Silicade for about 5 years now for pennies to the gallon. Here is his recipe link:

Wow! A lot to unpack here! I wonder how this compares to plant sources, besides the cost.

Dave Clark

Wow! A lot to unpack here! I wonder how this compares to plant sources, besides the cost.
In the end, it is the orthosillic acid {OSA} that matters, whether from plant source or whatever, because that is the soluble form that your body uses, anything else will end up in the colon or kidney, from what I understand, or can get absorbed by a leaky gut and end up depositing where it shouldn't.
Crouse's formula uses sodium silicate, sodium bisulfate, and sodium bicarbonate, which are not from plant sources, but it doesn't matter, because their reaction produces the OSA which is what your body uses.
Just to mention, the recipe is much easier than what it may look like on paper. The Brita step is really not even that necessary. Put the sodium silicate in, stir, put in the sodium bisulfate, stir, put in the baking soda, stir, and you are done. You can run it through the Brita, but if you are using the pure forms of the chemicals, there is little to none of any aluminum, etc. to be filtered out. Of course, your base water must be clean {filtered, distilled, etc., or a pure spring water}.

Last edited:

S.Holmes

In the end, it is the orthosillic acid {OSA} that matters, whether from plant source or whatever, because that is the soluble form that your body uses, anything else will end up in the colon or kidney, from what I understand, or can get absorbed by a leaky gut and end up depositing where it shouldn't.
Crouse's formula uses sodium silicate, sodium bisulfate, and sodium bicarbonate, which are not from plant sources, but it doesn't matter, because their reaction produces the OSA which is what your body uses.
Just to mention, the recipe is much easier than what it may look like on paper. The Brita step is really not even that necessary. Put the sodium silicate in, stir, put in the sodium bisulfate, stir, put in the baking soda, stir, and you are done. You can run it through the Brita, but if you are using the pure forms of the chemicals, there is little to none of any aluminum, etc. to be filtered out. Of course, your base water must be clean {filtered, distilled, etc., or a pure spring water}.
Thanks! I believe I'll give it a go.

S.Holmes

Ummmm. What's a "dash and 2 smidgeons"?

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

but I have been making Silicade for about 5 years now for pennies to the gallon. Here is his recipe link:
what have you noticed from it? any particular reason you started on it?

Dave Clark

what have you noticed from it? any particular reason you started on it?
Well, I started it because for years I was buying Biosil, and when I found out I could make something with more OSA for pennies, that was my primary incentive. Biosil is not cheap, neither is Fiji water, or any water that has high OSA in it. I suppose I did not feel a big difference only because I was already using Biosil, so I was getting silica OSA from that. Being in my 60s, my skin, joints, hair, etc. are in good shape, so I assume it is doing something good. OSA is the only form of silica I will consume, I think it is valuable and less problematic than straight silicon dioxide, etc., which we can't be sure what it is going to do once we ingest it, it may convert, it may not.

Isn't a high vitamin A: D ratio symptom bone problems? If it came just as you took A i would look into something like that
Charlie posted this…

“There are a few things that need to be accounted for with D3.https://x.com/Will_of_Europa/status/1701386526091870607?s=20…1) It's used as rat killer (terra-con D3 blocks, one shouldn't need more reason than this tbh. Very hard to kill via potassium or magnesium, but easy with D3 and A)”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals