ACV and gut bacteria

Serge

I think it is well established that ACV lowers blood glucose and insulin response in healthy, insulin resistant and diabetic people. One of the ways it does it is by deactivating starch digesting ferments in the stomach, as far as I understand. So, being physiologically illiterate, my question is if it may cause the starch to reach further into the intestines feeding more bacteria in the stomach which might be a bad thing? Aren't we simply impairing digestion for the sake of having lower BG?
Any other thoughts on taking ACV for blood sugar control are welcome.

Perry Staltic

my question is if it may cause the starch to reach further into the intestines feeding more bacteria

Bacterial fermentation of resistant starches in the colon is to be desired because such produces butyrate, without which a healthy colon that keeps bad stuff from leaking into the body is not possible.

OP
Serge

Serge

Bacterial fermentation of resistant starches in the colon is to be desired because such produces butyrate, without which a healthy colon that keeps bad stuff from leaking into the body is not possible.
What about non-resistant starches though? I mean resistant starches will reach the colon anyway, right?

HeyThere

Nothing is one size fits all. If I do ACV more than a few days in a row, I will get a UTI. I didn't listen to my body last time I tried AV and ended up on antibiotics (of which I have hardly ever been on in my lifetime). The next time I tried ACV I felt that all too familiar sensation and stopped in time to not get a UTI again. I read once online where someone else said they get UTIs from ACV so it's not just me.

OP
Serge

Serge

Nothing is one size fits all. If I do ACV more than a few days in a row, I will get a UTI. I didn't listen to my body last time I tried AV and ended up on antibiotics (of which I have hardly ever been on in my lifetime). The next time I tried ACV I felt that all too familiar sensation and stopped in time to not get a UTI again. I read once online where someone else said they get UTIs from ACV so it's not just me.
Interesting, thanks, didn't know that was possible. Maybe ACV should be used occasionally, with extremely high GI meals like toast with jam or something. I like things like pickles but really it's not every days that you actually want the stuff. Let along drinking it with every meal.

Dapose

Forum Supporter
My understanding after messing around with ACVC for years (we call it acvc to reference AC/DC the band, cuz it’s fun and awesome) is that it just adds acidity to hard to digest foods. You’re basically adding stomach acid. Especially to lettuces. I believe any human would do best with as little fermenting in any part of there digestive tract. I know butyrate is great for the colon but… eat butter. Fermentation just ends with endotoxins.
I prefer eating some pickles and or sweet mustards with food, to ACVC drinks now days. 😊

username

This doesn't seem right to me. I've never in my life had better digestion than a 0 fiber diet. It never failed to be perfect for the 2 years I stuck to it. I just had to stop to get more carbs in my diet for energy, but digestion has never been as good as 0 fiber.

Dapose

Forum Supporter
This doesn't seem right to me. I've never in my life had better digestion than a 0 fiber diet. It never failed to be perfect for the 2 years I stuck to it. I just had to stop to get more carbs in my diet for energy, but digestion has never been as good as 0 fiber.

True for me too!

Perry Staltic

I know butyrate is great for the colon but… eat butter. Fermentation just ends with endotoxins.

LPS don't cause systemic problems if they're flushed out of the body, which is what a healthy gut does, and fermentation creates the energy source necessary to make that happen. IMO butter's not enough

Last edited:

Perry Staltic

That's what your gut microbiome can handle. It doesn't mean it's optimal

OP
Serge

Serge

I started this thread out of theoretical interest while playing with ACV and cooked frozen/unfrozen starch as tools to reduce BG. But this morning I ate a little of unfrozen rice and yoghurt with cocoa powder (which should make plenty of non-soluble stuff), and now in the evening my belly is like a baloon... I'm starting to think that all those food tricks to reduce BG are basically like repairing a broken electronic device by hitting it...

LadyRae

I started this thread out of theoretical interest while playing with ACV and cooked frozen/unfrozen starch as tools to reduce BG. But this morning I ate a little of unfrozen rice and yoghurt with cocoa powder (which should make plenty of non-soluble stuff), and now in the evening my belly is like a baloon... I'm starting to think that all those food tricks to reduce BG are basically like repairing a broken electronic device by hitting it...
I cannot tolerate any fermented foods either. Even just yogurt... bloating ensues.

HeyThere

True for me too!

I don't know about 0 fiber, but if I go out of my way to "eat more fiber" I get really constipated. I do know I have a lifelong issue with being dehydrated, I *assume* my electrolytes are out of whack. But blood tests also reveal, while i am not celiac, I do react to gluten and wheat.

LadyRae

I don't know about 0 fiber, but if I go out of my way to "eat more fiber" I get really constipated. I do know I have a lifelong issue with being dehydrated, I *assume* my electrolytes are out of whack. But blood tests also reveal, while i am not celiac, I do react to gluten and wheat.
Exact same for me. Carrots, some fruit are plenty of fiber..

Here in Hawaii, I'm going to add some local avacado today and see how "it" goes 😉

username

That's what your gut microbiome can handle. It doesn't mean it's optimal
I'm not sure you read a key word: perfect. I can't imagine better bowel movements to even be possible. I don't know why you'd proceed to frame it as only something the microbiome can merely handle.

LadyRae

I'm not sure you read a key word: perfect. I can't imagine better bowel movements to even be possible. I don't know why you'd proceed to frame it as only something the microbiome can merely handle.
Unfortunately that happens a lot within this forum... You are considered unhealthy if you can't drink coffee, unhealthy if you can't tolerate dairy products well, the either or judgment is annoying and pops up everywhere....

People are extremely individual of course and just because something doesn't make you feel good and someone else can eat a lot of it, doesn't necessarily mean that it is a illness or health issue...

Perry Staltic

I did read that, but health is more than perfect bowel movements. The rest of your health may be perfect too, I don't know. I was just throwing out the idea that perfect bowel movements are not necessarily the sign of optimal health. People can find peace with the gut microbiome they have, but a more diverse one might be more optimal. Very complex issue

OP
Serge

Serge

Interestingly Steven Gundry (whatever one might think of him :rolleyes:) just had a short video on vinegar, out of which I learnt 2 things:
1. vinegar itself works as a source of butyrate and other good short-chain fatty acids which might compensate for suboptimal gut bacteria incapable of dealing with fiber
2. vinegar keeps food in the stomach longer probably due to acidity. I think later food release into intestines is something to wish for, what do you think?
So I should probably be eating less fiber but taking vinegar with meals.

HeyThere

Exact same for me. Carrots, some fruit are plenty of fiber..

Here in Hawaii, I'm going to add some local avacado today and see h

Interestingly Steven Gundry (whatever one might think of him :rolleyes:) just had a short video on vinegar, out of which I learnt 2 things:
1. vinegar itself works as a source of butyrate and other good short-chain fatty acids which might compensate for suboptimal gut bacteria incapable of dealing with fiber
2. vinegar keeps food in the stomach longer probably due to acidity. I think later food release into intestines is something to wish for, what do you think?
So I should probably be eating less fiber but taking vinegar with meals.

Have you tried digestive enzymes yet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals