Gut Bacteria May Cause ALL Autoimmune Conditions; Antibiotics Can Cure

Gone Peating

@haidut it has been a long time since the OP,

from all of the research you've done do you still think autoimmune disorders are bacteria/endotoxin driven?

I ask because my mother has sjogren's and my uncle has "mixed connective tissue disorder" which is lupus, arthritis, and two other autoimmune conditions. Not much that they have done has helped them. My uncle has been on plaquenil and gabbapentin for a few years, and is now at the maximum allowed dosage for each.

If you were in their position, what would you do?

BigChad

@haidut it has been a long time since the OP,

from all of the research you've done do you still think autoimmune disorders are bacteria/endotoxin driven?

I ask because my mother has sjogren's and my uncle has "mixed connective tissue disorder" which is lupus, arthritis, and two other autoimmune conditions. Not much that they have done has helped them. My uncle has been on plaquenil and gabbapentin for a few years, and is now at the maximum allowed dosage for each.

If you were in their position, what would you do?

I thought autoimmune involves a mix of leaky gut, too much iodine, too little selenium and vitamin d, viruses like Epstein barr

rob

I have Crohn's in my colon and I'm confident that stress plays a massive hand - at least in my case.

I've read studies explaining how stress potently increases gut permeability via CRH-mediated mast cell activation.

Of course, such permeability allows through luminal bacteria and food antigens provoking an immune response because, simply put, stuff isn't where it should be.

Worse than that, if someone is unlucky enough to couple a period of high stress with catching a bad stomach bug or virus that could compound the issue.

mrsuomi

I thought autoimmune involves a mix of leaky gut, too much iodine, too little selenium and vitamin d, viruses like Epstein barr
In what mechanism does iodine cause autoimmunity, iodine is essential for your thyroid hormones?

mrsuomi

You opened up a pandora's box on that one. I see a new iodine debate on the horizon.
It makes no sense what so ever that iodine would cause or worsen autoimmunity. Vitamin A seems to worsen autoimmune symptoms if one already has them and vitamin D does the opposite.

Dave Clark

It makes no sense what so ever that iodine would cause or worsen autoimmunity. Vitamin A seems to worsen autoimmune symptoms if one already has them and vitamin D does the opposite.
I suppose you may not be aware of the debate that high dose iodine can worsen autommune thyroid conditions like Hashimotos. That is not me saying it, it is a debate because Peat does not like high dose iodine, yet there is a camp that swears by it. If you want to amuse/educate? yourself on iodine and autoimmune, just do a search, here and the net. That debate is right up there with the vitamin A is toxic debate.

Gone Peating

I suppose you may not be aware of the debate that high dose iodine can worsen autommune thyroid conditions like Hashimotos. That is not me saying it, it is a debate because Peat does not like high dose iodine, yet there is a camp that swears by it. If you want to amuse/educate? yourself on iodine and autoimmune, just do a search, here and the net. That debate is right up there with the vitamin A is toxic debate.

high dose iodine can lower TSH too much to the point that it induces hypothyroidism is what I have read

metamorph

Trying to. I want do develop something dissolved in vitamin E so that it gets into the lymphatic system very well. Currently experimenting with solvents and various antibiotics so hopefully something will come out of it.
Any updates on this, Georgi? Thanks

yerrag

Any updates on this, Georgi? Thanks
Except that iodine is verboten with Peat, I think that Lugol's Iodine with Vitamin E is worth a shot, especially sublingually.

If only I could buy 10% Lugol's, instead of just the talisman grade of 2%.

DonLore

I thought the iodine nonsense was already done with, meaning there is no evidence that iodine would cause anything negative to 99.99% of people and that it has so many positive effects and many people find it helpful. It is an essential nutrient with anti-estrogenic and antibiotic properties
@Jam @burtlancast

Dave Clark

I thought the iodine nonsense was already done with, meaning there is no evidence that iodine would cause anything negative to 99.99% of people and that it has so many positive effects and many people find it helpful. It is an essential nutrient with anti-estrogenic and antibiotic properties
@Jam @burtlancast
I don't think 'iodine' itself is the debate, but the dosage. Peat thinks that anything over a few hundred micrograms is toxic to the thyroid gland, at least from the last podcast I heard him speak on. He has made statements that high dosages will destroy the thyroid. My question is: if that is the case, then there must be tens of thousands of people who are followers of Abrahms, Brownstein, Fletcha, et al, who all have destroyed thyroids, yet I don't seem to hear about any of this. It is a pretty strong statement from Peat, and I personally would like to see the evidence that all the people who take milligram doses have destroyed thyroids. Studies are in order when assertions like this are made. Iodine is a good and essential mineral, but at what amounts is depending on which expert you believe in.

DonLore

I don't think 'iodine' itself is the debate, but the dosage. Peat thinks that anything over a few hundred micrograms is toxic to the thyroid gland, at least from the last podcast I heard him speak on. He has made statements that high dosages will destroy the thyroid. My question is: if that is the case, then there must be tens of thousands of people who are followers of Abrahms, Brownstein, Fletcha, et al, who all have destroyed thyroids, yet I don't seem to hear about any of this. It is a pretty strong statement from Peat, and I personally would like to see the evidence that all the people who take milligram doses have destroyed thyroids. Studies are in order when assertions like this are made. Iodine is a good and essential mineral, but at what amounts is depending on which expert you believe in.
I have taken BIG doses in the past, like a few grams in two months total. Doesnt seem to have detroyed anything. And since we cant avoid chloride, fluoride and bromide completely, I think its still best to get more iodine than the other halogens right?

Inaut

Except that iodine is verboten with Peat, I think that Lugol's Iodine with Vitamin E is worth a shot, especially sublingually.

If only I could buy 10% Lugol's, instead of just the talisman grade of 2

Check eBay. I bought a bottle from Germany many years ago and still have half left.

Jam

Everyone should always be wary of taking high dosages of anything, so do your due diligence and decide with your own brain.

Ray Peat Forum

This is what I have done, and I've taken up to gram amounts of KI per day, when treating specific conditions, and have taken at least 150mg daily for 4 years by now I think. No thyroid issues whatsoever. But I am treating a specific condition, namely periodontal disease and associated joint issues, (which have all but disappeared). Haven't lost a tooth or seen a dentist since I started. YMMV.

Mossy

Everyone should always be wary of taking high dosages of anything, so do your due diligence and decide with your own brain.

Ray Peat Forum

This is what I have done, and I've taken up to gram amounts of KI per day, when treating specific conditions, and have taken at least 150mg daily for 4 years by now I think. No thyroid issues whatsoever. But I am treating a specific condition, namely periodontal disease and associated joint issues, (which have all but disappeared). Haven't lost a tooth or seen a dentist since I started. YMMV.
Interesting. I should probably know this, but I wasn't aware Iodine was good for oral health.

P.S. Would you mind sharing or pointing to your routine with iodine for periodontal disease?

yerrag

Check eBay. I bought a bottle from Germany many years ago and still have half left.
Good idea! I can try that. Thank you.

Ray Peat Forum

Yesterday, I mixed methylene blue and Lugol's and the MB separated from solution. I thought it would mix, given that months back I had mixed SSKI with MB to similar results.

I was planning on doing photodynamic therapy with iodine and MB on my brother with infrared light.

I was hoping that Lugol's might mix better with MB because it is less hydrophobic. But turns out MB and iodine simply don't mix well regardless of whether it's SSKI or Lugol's.

Nonetheless, I mixed 5 drops of Lugol's with 5 drops of Tocovit and the mixture seemed homogenous when I mixed them.

I gave it to my brother to take it sublingually.

I had him apply MB separately on a protrusion in his hard palate on the roof of the mouth. The MB was mixed to a 50% DMSO and applied to the protrusion. The protrusion is the size of a small abscess.

On top of this, he is taking oral Lugol's as well. The dosage is 3x15 drops per day.

Lastly, he is shining a red light with a Tendlite flashlight and also lying for 2 hours on a far-infrared mat while at it. Hopefully, the iodine in circulation will work in tandem with the topical MB to make this an MB Iodine photodynamic therapy.