A. Muciniphila Improves Insulin Sensitivity, Lowers Weight+ Cholesterol+reduces Endotoxin Load

Mauritio

What do you guys think of this bacteria ? It seems to improve insulin sensitivity, reduce weight, lower cholesterol, reduce endotoxin load and improve liver function.

Cross-talk between Akkermansia muciniphila and intestinal epithelium controls diet-induced obesity. - PubMed - NCBI
"Obesity and type 2 diabetes are characterized by altered gut microbiota, inflammation, and gut barrier disruption. Microbial composition and the mechanisms of interaction with the host that affect gut barrier function during obesity and type 2 diabetes have not been elucidated. We recently isolated Akkermansia muciniphila, which is a mucin-degrading bacterium that resides in the mucus layer. The presence of this bacterium inversely correlates with body weight in rodents and humans. However, the precise physiological roles played by this bacterium during obesity and metabolic disorders are unknown. This study demonstrated that the abundance of A. muciniphila decreased in obese and type 2 diabetic mice. We also observed that prebiotic feeding normalized A. muciniphila abundance, which correlated with an improved metabolic profile. In addition, we demonstrated that A. muciniphila treatment reversed high-fat diet-induced metabolic disorders, including fat-mass gain, metabolic endotoxemia, adipose tissue inflammation, and insulin resistance. A. muciniphila administration increased the intestinal levels of endocannabinoids that control inflammation, the gut barrier, and gut peptide secretion. Finally, we demonstrated that all these effects required viable A. muciniphila because treatment with heat-killed cells did not improve the metabolic profile or the mucus layer thickness. In summary, this study provides substantial insight into the intricate mechanisms of bacterial (i.e., A. muciniphila) regulation of the cross-talk between the host and gut microbiota. These results also provide a rationale for the development of a treatment that uses this human mucus colonizer for the prevention or treatment of obesity and its associated metabolic disorders."

Supplementation with Akkermansia muciniphila in overweight and obese human volunteers: a proof-of-concept exploratory study

"Metabolic syndrome is characterized by a constellation of comorbidities that predispose individuals to an increased risk of developing cardiovascular pathologies as well as type 2 diabetes mellitus1. The gut microbiota is a new key contributor involved in the onset of obesity-related disorders2. In humans, studies have provided evidence for a negative correlation between Akkermansia muciniphila abundance and overweight, obesity, untreated type 2 diabetes mellitus or hypertension3,4,5,6,7,8. Since the administration of A. muciniphila has never been investigated in humans, we conducted a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study in overweight/obese insulin-resistant volunteers; 40 were enrolled and 32 completed the trial. The primary end points were safety, tolerability and metabolic parameters (that is, insulin resistance, circulating lipids, visceral adiposity and body mass). Secondary outcomes were gut barrier function (that is, plasma lipopolysaccharides) and gut microbiota composition. In this single-center study, we demonstrated that daily oral supplementation of 1010 A. muciniphila bacteria either live or pasteurized for three months was safe and well tolerated. Compared to placebo, pasteurized A. muciniphila improved insulin sensitivity (+28.62 ± 7.02%, P = 0.002), and reduced insulinemia (−34.08 ± 7.12%, P = 0.006) and plasma total cholesterol (−8.68 ± 2.38%, P = 0.02). Pasteurized A. muciniphila supplementation slightly decreased body weight (−2.27 ± 0.92 kg, P = 0.091) compared to the placebo group, and fat mass (−1.37 ± 0.82 kg, P = 0.092) and hip circumference (−2.63 ± 1.14 cm, P = 0.091) compared to baseline. After three months of supplementation, A. muciniphila reduced the levels of the relevant blood markers for liver dysfunction and inflammation while the overall gut microbiome structure was unaffected. In conclusion, this proof-of-concept study (clinical trial no. NCT02637115) shows that the intervention was safe and well tolerated and that supplementation with A. muciniphila improves several metabolic parameters."

"Moreover, we and others have shown that A. muciniphila reinforces gut barrier function and eventually reduces plasma LPS10,11,22,29. Therefore, we measured plasma LPS before and after A. muciniphila supplementation. Pasteurized A. muciniphila significantly decreases LPS compared to baseline, but also compared to the placebo group at T3 (Fig. 3d). Thus, we speculated that such significant findings could be involved in the favorable metabolic changes observed, such as improved glucose metabolism and hepatic inflammatory markers and decreased WBC. It is worth nothing that pasteurized A. muciniphila supplementation decreases serum lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) and creatine kinase levels at T3 versus T0, two enzymes considered valid markers of whole-body tissue damage and muscle-specific injury, respectively."

shine

Bifidobacterium longum, B. bifidum and B. infantis have similar effects. They also reduce histamine, a mix of bifidobacteria cured my histamine intolerance in 2 weeks. The endotoxin reducing effect of certain bacteria is especially interesting. After all the talk on here about sterile guts I was surprised to see that bacteria can actually lower endotoxin.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

There are some bacteria strains like b. subtilis that peat recommends ,because he thinks they kill some of the more harmfull bacteria ,just like the bacteriophages. So he isnt completely against bacteria supplementation, since they might have net-positive effect.
Interesting @shine ! Which product did you use, and what symptoms of histamine intolerance did you have ?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

This is the product: Bifidyn – biotische Bifidobakterien – 42 Milliarden aktive Bakterienkulturen pro Kapsel
It contains Bifidobacterium bifidum and Bifidobacterium longum ssp. longum.

I would get an itchy, congested nose, itchy eyes, itchy and painful throat after eating certain high histamine foods. I can now tolerate all the foods I enjoy eating again.
That's cool . I'm not sure if I should try those as I had them already in my phage product from life extension... I had quite good results but gained a bit weight as far as I remember
But maybe they have a different effect on their own so I'll think about it.
Did you also have estrogen dominance symptoms and do you have to keep taking those bacteria in order to digest histamine?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

And do you have some reference to the similar effects to the A. Muciniphila you mentioned ?

shine

That's cool . I'm not sure if I should try those as I had them already in my phage product from life extension... I had quite good results but gained a bit weight as far as I remember
But maybe they have a different effect on their own so I'll think about it.
Did you also have estrogen dominance symptoms and do you have to keep taking those bacteria in order to digest histamine?

I am still taking these, yes, and I don't plan on stopping. I also take Lactobacillus gasseri and L. plantarum. These strains are beneficial in terms of weight control and allergic responses. I don't like these multi strain products with 18+ strains (they have always caused more problems) which is why I take these few selected strains.
I had estrogen dominance symptoms in the past but I've made a lot of changes to get that under control. Lowering histamine was one of those changes. Also increasing muscle mass and losing fat, taking androsterone, getting on T3 and NDT and increasing intake of fat soluble vitamins.

References:
17 Scientific Health Benefits of Bifidobacterium longum - SelfHacked
Top 11 Health Benefits of B. bifidum Probiotic + Safety - SelfHacked
24+ Health Benefits of Lactobacillus plantarum (L. plantarum) - SelfHacked
16 Lactobacillus gasseri (L. gasseri) Probiotic Benefits - SelfHacked

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I am still taking these, yes, and I don't plan on stopping. I also take Lactobacillus gasseri and L. plantarum. These strains are beneficial in terms of weight control and allergic responses. I don't like these multi strain products with 18+ strains (they have always caused more problems) which is why I take these few selected strains.
I had estrogen dominance symptoms in the past but I've made a lot of changes to get that under control. Lowering histamine was one of those changes. Also increasing muscle mass and losing fat, taking androsterone, getting on T3 and NDT and increasing intake of fat soluble vitamins.

References:
Thanks , I might try them!

Adrienlcrx

Did you have success with monolaurin too @shine ? What did you dose it if I may ask
I want to start a protocol with monolaurin against candida...

shine

Did you have success with monolaurin too @shine ? What did you dose it if I may ask
I want to start a protocol with monolaurin against candida...

Yes, monolaurin is really amazing. It got rid of a chronic sinus infection I had and also helped with gut issues like bloating. I would buy Lauricidin and take 0.5g of the pellets per day at first and work my way up to 9g per day (3x3g) and continue for 2 months. You can also take charcoal once or twice a week to help clear it out of your gut.

Ella

Forum Supporter
What do you guys think of this bacteria ? It seems to improve insulin sensitivity, reduce weight, lower cholesterol, reduce endotoxin load and improve liver function.

Cross-talk between Akkermansia muciniphila and intestinal epithelium controls diet-induced obesity. - PubMed - NCBI
"Obesity and type 2 diabetes are characterized by altered gut microbiota, inflammation, and gut barrier disruption. Microbial composition and the mechanisms of interaction with the host that affect gut barrier function during obesity and type 2 diabetes have not been elucidated. We recently isolated Akkermansia muciniphila, which is a mucin-degrading bacterium that resides in the mucus layer. The presence of this bacterium inversely correlates with body weight in rodents and humans. However, the precise physiological roles played by this bacterium during obesity and metabolic disorders are unknown. This study demonstrated that the abundance of A. muciniphila decreased in obese and type 2 diabetic mice. We also observed that prebiotic feeding normalized A. muciniphila abundance, which correlated with an improved metabolic profile. In addition, we demonstrated that A. muciniphila treatment reversed high-fat diet-induced metabolic disorders, including fat-mass gain, metabolic endotoxemia, adipose tissue inflammation, and insulin resistance. A. muciniphila administration increased the intestinal levels of endocannabinoids that control inflammation, the gut barrier, and gut peptide secretion. Finally, we demonstrated that all these effects required viable A. muciniphila because treatment with heat-killed cells did not improve the metabolic profile or the mucus layer thickness. In summary, this study provides substantial insight into the intricate mechanisms of bacterial (i.e., A. muciniphila) regulation of the cross-talk between the host and gut microbiota. These results also provide a rationale for the development of a treatment that uses this human mucus colonizer for the prevention or treatment of obesity and its associated metabolic disorders."

Supplementation with Akkermansia muciniphila in overweight and obese human volunteers: a proof-of-concept exploratory study

"Metabolic syndrome is characterized by a constellation of comorbidities that predispose individuals to an increased risk of developing cardiovascular pathologies as well as type 2 diabetes mellitus1. The gut microbiota is a new key contributor involved in the onset of obesity-related disorders2. In humans, studies have provided evidence for a negative correlation between Akkermansia muciniphila abundance and overweight, obesity, untreated type 2 diabetes mellitus or hypertension3,4,5,6,7,8. Since the administration of A. muciniphila has never been investigated in humans, we conducted a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study in overweight/obese insulin-resistant volunteers; 40 were enrolled and 32 completed the trial. The primary end points were safety, tolerability and metabolic parameters (that is, insulin resistance, circulating lipids, visceral adiposity and body mass). Secondary outcomes were gut barrier function (that is, plasma lipopolysaccharides) and gut microbiota composition. In this single-center study, we demonstrated that daily oral supplementation of 1010 A. muciniphila bacteria either live or pasteurized for three months was safe and well tolerated. Compared to placebo, pasteurized A. muciniphila improved insulin sensitivity (+28.62 ± 7.02%, P = 0.002), and reduced insulinemia (−34.08 ± 7.12%, P = 0.006) and plasma total cholesterol (−8.68 ± 2.38%, P = 0.02). Pasteurized A. muciniphila supplementation slightly decreased body weight (−2.27 ± 0.92 kg, P = 0.091) compared to the placebo group, and fat mass (−1.37 ± 0.82 kg, P = 0.092) and hip circumference (−2.63 ± 1.14 cm, P = 0.091) compared to baseline. After three months of supplementation, A. muciniphila reduced the levels of the relevant blood markers for liver dysfunction and inflammation while the overall gut microbiome structure was unaffected. In conclusion, this proof-of-concept study (clinical trial no. NCT02637115) shows that the intervention was safe and well tolerated and that supplementation with A. muciniphila improves several metabolic parameters."

"Moreover, we and others have shown that A. muciniphila reinforces gut barrier function and eventually reduces plasma LPS10,11,22,29. Therefore, we measured plasma LPS before and after A. muciniphila supplementation. Pasteurized A. muciniphila significantly decreases LPS compared to baseline, but also compared to the placebo group at T3 (Fig. 3d). Thus, we speculated that such significant findings could be involved in the favorable metabolic changes observed, such as improved glucose metabolism and hepatic inflammatory markers and decreased WBC. It is worth nothing that pasteurized A. muciniphila supplementation decreases serum lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) and creatine kinase levels at T3 versus T0, two enzymes considered valid markers of whole-body tissue damage and muscle-specific injury, respectively."
@Mauritio interesting organism which reinforces the message to eat real foods to support healthy microbiome and occasional antibiotic use may have gut health benefits. Interesting also, Metformin promotes Ak. muciniphilia populations.

Strategies to promote abundance of Akkermansia muciniphila, an emerging probiotics in the gut, evidence from dietary intervention studies

The next paper discusses low-FODMAPS, gluten-free and ketogenic diet's influence on gut microbiome. Of note; ketogenic diet increases Ak.muciniphilia which contradicts the notion of high fat diets reducing the population of this organism. What substrates in the KD diet supports Akk?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6413021/pdf/nutrients-11-00373.pdf

Broken man

References:
Please, can you send me sources for probiotics products you use? I am from Czech Republic so I hope that I will be able to buy some of them. Thank you.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Tudca helps with this bacteria.

Thanks for pointing that out. I researched it and found the study that mentioned it. You were very right. Tudca actually increased akkermansia by 68 fold !
Faecalibacteria are helpful as well. Their lack of has been associated with crohns disease. Another thing peaters might like they produce buytirate, a saturated fat similar to butter.
Don't know if taurine does the same but that might be one of the reasons tudca gives people different experiences than taurine ,even when on paper they should be similar as haidut stated a few times.

Tauroursodeoxycholic acid inhibits intestinal inflammation and barrier disruption in mice with non‐alcoholic fatty liver disease

"Further in‐depth analysis indicated that, among the changed microbiota, two anti‐inflammatory bacterial taxa, Faecalibacterium and Akkermansia (Everard et al., 2013; Quevrain et al., 2016), were markedly increased in the TUDCA‐treated group, with an increase of 370‐fold and 68‐fold respectively (Figure 6C). "

Last edited:

Broken man

Thanks for pointing that out. I researched it and found the study that mentioned it. You were very right. Tudca actually increased akkermansia by 68 fold !
Faecalibacteria are helpful as well. Their lack of has been associated with crohns disease. Another thing peaters might like they produce buytirate, a saturated fat similar to butter.
Don't know if taurine does the same but that might be one of the reasons tudca gives people different experiences than taurine ,even when on paper they should be similar as haidut stated a few times.

Tauroursodeoxycholic acid inhibits intestinal inflammation and barrier disruption in mice with non‐alcoholic fatty liver disease

"Further in‐depth analysis indicated that, among the changed microbiota, two anti‐inflammatory bacterial taxa, Faecalibacterium and Akkermansia (Everard et al., 2013; Quevrain et al., 2016), were markedly increased in the TUDCA‐treated group, with an increase of 370‐fold and 68‐fold respectively (Figure 6C). "
This Is study I thought about. What about the palmitic acid and LPS ?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

LeeLemonoil

Lacto 7 is another OTC-probiotic in Europe with some interesting strains of Lactobacillae and Bififios that I take after antibiotic use