A Subset Of Diabetes I Can Be Cured By Vitamin B1 (thiamine)

haidut

Forum Supporter
I don't know much about this apparently genetic form of neonatal diabetes I, but looking at the mutation in question I do not see how it related to thiamine at all, yet thiamine is therapeutic. So, the question that naturally arises is - can thiamine potentially help all cases of diabetes I?

Recovered Insulin Production after Thiamine Administration in Permanent Neonatal Diabetes Mellitus with A Novel SLC19A2 Mutation. - PubMed - NCBI

"...RESULTS: The patient with PNDM had c.848G>A (p.W283X) homozygous mutation in SLC19A2. His father had a wild type SLC19A2 (c.848 G) and his mother was c.848 G/A heterozygous. The patient and his father both had diploid genotype (c.848 A/A and c.848 G/G). After oral thiamine administration, the patient demonstrated gradual increasing fasting c-peptide and remarkable decreasing insulin requirement. The database searching revealed that thiamine treatment was effective and improved diabetes in 63% of the patients with SLC19A2 deficiency."

"...CONCLUSIONS: We identified a novel SLC19A2 mutation (c.848G>A; p.W283X) most likely inherited as segmental uniparental isodisomy in our patient. Insulin insufficiency in PNDM caused by SLC19A2 deficiency can be corrected by thiamine supplementation. The differential diagnosis of SLC19A2 deficiency should be included in children with PNDM to allow for early treatment."

aguilaroja

...this apparently genetic form of neonatal diabetes I,
...thiamine is therapeutic. So, the question that naturally arises is - can thiamine potentially help all cases of diabetes I?

Recovered Insulin Production after Thiamine Administration in Permanent Neonatal Diabetes Mellitus with A Novel SLC19A2 Mutation. - PubMed - NCBI

"...Insulin insufficiency in PNDM caused by SLC19A2 deficiency can be corrected by thiamine supplementation. The differential diagnosis of SLC19A2 deficiency should be included in children with PNDM to allow for early treatment."
Thanks for the reference.

For almost as long as there has been genetics, geneticists have had to expert-‘splain things about “penetrance” and “expressivity” to account for different gene effects.

The party line about the SLC19A2 gene, which codes for Thiamine transporter 1, is that, in autosomal recessive cases, there are problems with (megaloblastic) anemia, diabetes(mellitus), and sensorineural deafness. The number of descriptions of heterozygous SLC19A2 gene case reports is even smaller.

Hopefully, eventually, more details of thiamine transport will be worked out, more observation of heterozygous SLC19A2 people will be done, and the view of thiamine transport difficulties as “monogenic” will be scrutinized.

It may be of interest that the Human Thiamine Transporter, THTR-2 (SLC19A3) also transports both Metformin (an oral diabetes drug) and famotidine.

SLC19A2 - Wikipedia

Adaptive regulation of human intestinal thiamine uptake by extracellular substrate level: a role for THTR-2 transcriptional regulation
“…optimization of thiamine level seems to have the potential in preventing diabetic retinopathy and blocking tissue damage caused by hyperglycemia of diabetes”

Metformin Is a Substrate and Inhibitor of the Human Thiamine Transporter, THTR-2 (SLC19A3)

AretnaP

Haidut do you think real solutions to health problems can come out of a capitalist society? Real solutions just aren't as profitable as garbage it seems.

For example: not only do they sell you SSRIs which do not work they sell you some other drug to "help the antidepressant work better". Seems like as long as profit is the thing that matters most nothing can ever get done.

Haidut do you think real solutions to health problems can come out of a capitalist society? Real solutions just aren't as profitable as garbage it seems.

For example: not only do they sell you SSRIs which do not work they sell you some other drug to "help the antidepressant work better". Seems like as long as profit is the thing that matters most nothing can ever get done.

I find it very sad that there is so much anticapitalist sentiment in the world today and on this board.

The profit motive is the only motive that works to create vast and rapid improvement in our world.

We don't have real capitalism anyway, what we have is really more fascism. The great drug companies and the government work together to promote big medicine and big agriculture.

But that doesn't mean that capitalism doesn't work.

We should give it a try before we say it doesn't work., LOL.

Tarmander

I find it very sad that there is so much anticapitalist sentiment in the world today and on this board.

The profit motive is the only motive that works to create vast and rapid improvement in our world.

We don't have real capitalism anyway, what we have is really more fascism. The great drug companies and the government work together to promote big medicine and big agriculture.

I hear ya. I think that is because people don't get capitalism. I kind of wish that instead of being call capitalism, it was called individualism. The whole point is to hold the individual's right to private property in the highest regard. It is extremely ethical. But somehow people think it's basically a monarchy that focuses on making money at all costs or something. I have even seen people call nazi Germany capitalist! Hilarious.

Last edited:
I hear ya. I think that is because people don't get capitalism. I kind of wish that instead of being call capitalism, it was called individualism. The whole point is to hold the individual's right to private property in the highest regard. It is extremely ethical. But somehow people think it's basically a monarchy that focuses on making money at all costs or something. I have even seen people call nazi Germany capitalist! Hilarious.

I think Ray is anti-capitalist, which is one of the only points where I think he is sadly very wrong.

AretnaP

Saying that it "doesn't work" or "does work" oversimplifies it.

There are benefits to having a capitalist system and drawbacks as well.
My country (the USA) is definitely capitalist, we have privately owned means of production.
One of the benefits is that there is always and incentive to work and make products that people want.
One of the drawback is that big corporations will try to manipulate the government, which is why we will most likely always have "crony capitalism" rather than "real capitalism".

I think Ray is anti-capitalist, which is one of the only points where I think he is sadly very wrong.
I'm surprised that this is your biggest complaint about Peat, my biggest problem is the whole anti-vegetable thing due to them having phytoestrogens.

Tarmander

I think he has talked about some of the positives of communism and its similarity to certain childhood attributes. I haven't ever heard him come out against individual rights like private property, more about the cultural control of science. Maybe he has, I'd be interested to see a quote.

Saying that it "doesn't work" or "does work" oversimplifies it.

There are benefits to having a capitalist system and drawbacks as well.
My country (the USA) is definitely capitalist, we have privately owned means of production.
One of the benefits is that there is always and incentive to work and make products that people want.
One of the drawback is that big corporations will try to manipulate the government, which is why we will most likely always have "crony capitalism" rather than "real capitalism".

I'm surprised that this is your biggest complaint about Peat, my biggest problem is the whole anti-vegetable thing due to them having phytoestrogens.

Peat isn't anti all veggies. He likes carrots, mushrooms, and bamboo shoots. He even talks about boiling greens for minerals.

Saying there are benefits and drawbacks to capitalism makes it sound like it's just another choice among govts to choose from, but it's actually a huge advance in human rights. It's like saying there are benefits and drawbacks to slavery, which there are, but that's not really getting the point.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the reference.

For almost as long as there has been genetics, geneticists have had to expert-‘splain things about “penetrance” and “expressivity” to account for different gene effects.

The party line about the SLC19A2 gene, which codes for Thiamine transporter 1, is that, in autosomal recessive cases, there are problems with (megaloblastic) anemia, diabetes(mellitus), and sensorineural deafness. The number of descriptions of heterozygous SLC19A2 gene case reports is even smaller.

Hopefully, eventually, more details of thiamine transport will be worked out, more observation of heterozygous SLC19A2 people will be done, and the view of thiamine transport difficulties as “monogenic” will be scrutinized.

It may be of interest that the Human Thiamine Transporter, THTR-2 (SLC19A3) also transports both Metformin (an oral diabetes drug) and famotidine.

SLC19A2 - Wikipedia

Adaptive regulation of human intestinal thiamine uptake by extracellular substrate level: a role for THTR-2 transcriptional regulation
“…optimization of thiamine level seems to have the potential in preventing diabetic retinopathy and blocking tissue damage caused by hyperglycemia of diabetes”

Metformin Is a Substrate and Inhibitor of the Human Thiamine Transporter, THTR-2 (SLC19A3)

Very interesting! So, famotidine may be able to treat these cases as well right? Possibly in higher doses, but still.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

I think if the system was truly capitalist it would have produced some solutions by now. But what we have is not capitalism, it is fascism plain and simple. Smaller companies that may try to bring a solution to the market can (and do) get easily crushed by large corporations through litigation if they threaten the status quo. The purpose of the corporation is to NOT compete, the exact opposite of what capitalism should be all about. A large corporation has a mind of its own and will do what it can to generate profits while doing as little useful work as possible. The government is not any better, the "deep state" has controlled governments for the last 60 years or so and as a result there can be no just government as even good laws get circumvented by special interests quite easily and often in direct violations of the law. The worst is the merging of the large corporations with the deep-state to create truly diabolical entities that operate beyond the reach of law or any sense of humanity really.
Capitalism/communism have very little to do with the world we live in today.

Last edited:

Regina

I think if the system was truly capitalist it would have produced some solutions by now. But what we have is not capitalism, it is fascism plain and simple. Smaller companies that may try to bring a solution to the market can (and do) get easily crushed by large corporations through litigation if they threaten the status quo. The purpose of the corporation is to NOT compete, the exact opposite of what capitalism should be all about. A large corporation has a mind of its own and will do what it can do generate profits while doing as little useful work as possible. The government is not any better, the "deep state" has controlled governments for the last 60 years or so and as a result there can be no just government as even good laws get circumvented by special interests quite easily and often in direct violations of the law.
Capitalism/communism have very little to do with the world we live in today.
:emoji_dart:

Leonie Cent

After a lot of research on the internet, I've come across many natural treatments for diseases such as cancer. Simple treatments which can be easily employed. So, I ask myself the same question, and as well: When will commonsense get a fair go?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals