A Gallon Of Orange Juice? (Ray Peat's Daily Sugar Intake)

Logan-

In the Ray Peat Email Exchanges link (https://raypeatforum.com/wiki/index.php/Ray_Peat_Email_Exchanges )
He says he often has a gallon of orange juice in a day, and another 100 grams of other sugar:

I have often had a gallon of orange juice in a day, with 100 grams of other sugar, and didn't see any problem, even while being sedentary. If your metabolic rate is high, with a pound of sugar you will still have an appetite for quite a bit of fat and protein. - Ray Peat

I looked online, but couldn't find out how much sugar a gallon of orange juice contains. Does anyone know?

I found this: Some organic orange juice brands listed on the USDA database had as much as 41.67 g of sugar in a 100 ml serving
How Much Sugar Does Your Orange Juice Have?

A gallon is equal to 3785 ml, then according to the above, it would make A LOT of sugar...

This says 250 ml of OJ has 6 teaspoon of sugar, which would make 25 grams.

Is this true, anyone know? I know there will be variations in oranges (different kind, ripeness, cultivation conditions etc.), but can someone give a reasonable range for a gallon (or a litre) of OJ?

If 250 ml OJ has 25 grams of sugar, then a gallon of OJ would have about 375 grams of sugar.

Last edited:

sladerunner69

In the Ray Peat Email Exchanges link (https://raypeatforum.com/wiki/index.php/Ray_Peat_Email_Exchanges )
He says he often has a gallon of orange juice in a day, and another 100 grams of other sugar:

I have often had a gallon of orange juice in a day, with 100 grams of other sugar, and didn't see any problem, even while being sedentary. If your metabolic rate is high, with a pound of sugar you will still have an appetite for quite a bit of fat and protein. - Ray Peat

I looked online, but couldn't find out how much sugar a gallon of orange juice contains. Does anyone know?

I found this: Some organic orange juice brands listed on the USDA database had as much as 41.67 g of sugar in a 100 ml serving
How Much Sugar Does Your Orange Juice Have?

A gallon is equal to 3785 ml, then according to the above, it would make A LOT of sugar...

This says 250 ml of OJ has 6 teaspoon of sugar, which would make 25 grams.

Is this true, anyone know? I know there will be variations in oranges (different kind, ripeness, cultivation conditions etc.), but can someone give a reasonable range for a gallon (or a litre) of OJ?

If 250 ml OJ has 25 grams of sugar, then a gallon of OJ would have about 375 grams of sugar.

Are you worried about sugar consumption? Many people on this forum are consuming around 400 grams per day.

I have never heard him say a gallon. I think I have more often I have heard 1-2 quarts of OJ and the same 1-2 quarts of milk. But I think that would be a type of elemental diet meant to cure or heal and which would exclude most other things.

OP
L

Logan-

Thanks for the replies.

Are you worried about sugar consumption? Many people on this forum are consuming around 400 grams per day.

I am not worried about sugar consumption, I consume about 250 grams every day. I wanted to know how much sugar Ray Peat consumes in a day.

Tenacity

He seems to fluctuate his OJ intake. One time I heard him say he was drinking as little as half a quart.

Fractality

Making sure the orange juice is high quality is the limiting factor with its consumption in a Ray Peat context.

Always keep this in mind if consuming high amounts of sugar though:

Effect of Magnesium Deficiency on Lipid Metabolism in Rats Fed a High Carbohydrate Diet | The Journal of Nutrition | Oxford Academic

and

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0098299702000900

from the full paper:

Mg depletion induced a severe insulin resistance that was shown to be dependent, at least in part, upon a defective tyrosine kinase activity of the insulin receptors. Furthermore, Bolan et al. reported that a high fructose diet-induced insulin resistance observed in rats was not due, as currently believed, to fructose itself, but rather to the low Mg content of such commercial diets

Also check those out:

- Bolan, T.W., Jasmen, A., Scott, S., et al., 1994. Dietary magnesium prevents fructose-induced insulin insensitivity in rats. Hypertension 23, 1036–1039.

- Bolan, T.W., Gu, J.L., Tokuyama, Y., et al., 1995. Magnesium supplementation reduces development of diabetes in rat model of spontaneous NIDDM. Am. J. Physiol. 269, E745–752.

Keep all minerals high on high sugar diets.

Tenacity

Making sure the orange juice is high quality is the limiting factor with its consumption in a Ray Peat context.
Yeah. This was discussed on Danny Roddy's last Patreon show. I've now switched from UHT to freshly squeezed juice, and although I can now afford less the difference in taste and smell is incredible.

Tenacity

Can we say that most people on this forum are consuming around 400 grams per day? Or, does this apply to "many people" mainly?

Why not make a poll and find out? There's possibly already one on the forum.

Fractality

Yeah. This was discussed on Danny Roddy's last Patreon show. I've now switched from UHT to freshly squeezed juice, and although I can now afford less the difference in taste and smell is incredible.

Yes, I prefer less intake of high quality fresh squeezed OJ compared to higher amounts of lesser quality OJ.

looked it up on Cronometer... I do get 480g net carbs split this way:
- 180g starch (potatoes, buckwheat, bananas)
- 230g sugar (yogurt, oj, fruits)
- 70g mysterious carbs

that and 60g fiber.

I'm not sure tbh. It says total carbs, then fiber, then starch and sugar, then "net carbs". I think it's probably some of the foods not 100% correctly added in

Tenacity

I'm not sure tbh. It says total carbs, then fiber, then starch and sugar, then "net carbs". I think it's probably some of the foods not 100% correctly added in
Net carbs for me is exactly total carbs minus fibre. The net carb total is also close to starch + sugar combined, only 10g missing. Fibre is technically a carbohydrate.

sladerunner69

Can we say that most people on this forum are consuming around 400 grams per day? Or, does this apply to "many people" mainly?

Well Peat recommends the average person eats at least 250 grams of carbs per day. And again, that's a minimum. From what I can gather almost everyone here who is following Peat's recommendations actually tend to eat a lot more than that. I know I feel better when I'm fueled with carbs, particularly fructose. There is a certain elevated feeling of euphoria which I have to connect with the combination of being fueled by enough sugar, and keeping the gut free of irritation by consuming very little to no starch. Whenever I eat starch, such as bread, grains, or even potatoes, I notice that I become more irritable and less happy. So ultimately I am always eating over 300 grams of carbs per day, and sometimes over 400.

OP
L

Logan-

I know I feel better when I'm fueled with carbs, particularly fructose. There is a certain elevated feeling of euphoria which I have to connect with the combination of being fueled by enough sugar, and keeping the gut free of irritation by consuming very little to no starch. Whenever I eat starch, such as bread, grains, or even potatoes, I notice that I become more irritable and less happy.

I have the same experiences.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals