Orange Juice In The UK

dukez07

Hi.

I have tried a wide range of orange juices and fruit juices, and I have come to the conclusion that 99.9% of what is sold out there is complete utter garbage. Ray Peat is correct when he is particular about what to look for with these things. Anyway, recently, after stumbling across a random thread on the Peatarian forums, I came across a brand of orange juice that is simply awesome. I am not saying that there is not anything else out there that is better, but this brand of orange juice is one that I can actually enjoy. It's unpasteurized, and not treated with enzymes. A guy in the thread (linked below) spoke about how he had messaged all of the main UK supermarkets, and this brand of orange juice apparantly had these qualities. I ended up trying it, not really expecting anything special. I was blown away by it's taste. It actually tastes like oranges (it advertizes that 16 are squeezed into a quart), and gives me absolutely no digestive troubles. It tastes exactly the same as the orange juice that I have done whilst juicing (which is laborious, time consuming and pain in the ****). Drinking this brand of orange juice, is simply effortless. Hell, if it was made in a different country, I would even go to the lengths of importing it. I feel that lucky that I am able to go to my local supermarket and clear their shelves, twice each week :D

In the thread, the poster who first mentioned it, also mentioned that it also goes off if left out of the fridge for a few days. To me, that seems like the sort of OJ I want to be drinking. Not this, cheap manufactured, chemically altered orange sugar water (with the alternative brands I have tried - and yes, I've tried at least 10).

Here is the thread: http://peatarian.com/11075/safe-oj-in-the-uk

The brand of orange juice is: pure freshly squeezed valencia orange juice, from Marks & Spencer (A top end UK supermarket).

Yes, it's top end, but the OJ is very afforfadble. It's about £2.70 for one litre, but, you can buy 2 bottles for £4. Which makes it cheaper than a litre of rank manufactured tropicana (one of the worst I've tried).

So, yes. Anyway, just spreading the information for anyone else who is here in the UK. If you haven't tried this brand of OJ, I urge you do so. I am drinking at least 3 quarts of this stuff a day now, and I haven't looked back. I am absolutely certain that it is benefitting my health, along with my intake of milk and ice cream at bed time.

Thanks.

jyb

Are you referring to the freshly squeezed brand (transparent, round bottle) - which is basically the same as the Tesco Finest and Sainsburys. Or to the rectangular, pasteurized, valencia oranges? That one is quite specific to M&S if I recall, not sure if there's something of similar taste elsewhere.

Stilgar

I concur that the orange juice from M&S is pretty good.
Have you tried the coldpress orange juice? I love the taste. http://www.cold-press.co.uk/our-range/valencia-orange It is quite expensive (closer to £3 a bottle) but often in offers and deals.
Also, I have found any supermarket fresh orange juice to be pretty good. The kind of one that retails at about £2-3 a bottle.

Do you buy smooth or 'with bits' and then strain it yourself? Is there any difference? I always buy smooth out of ease.

j_davis

In my opinion the tesco unpasturised smooth oj is the very best here in the uk. But for me it is too expensive long term. I want to find an affordable not from concentrate option as I'm worried about the fluoride issue. I presume pasturisation isn't a massive issue.

I've noticed that the freshly squeezed OJ fro M&S is sometimes labelled "Freshly Squeezed Valencia Orange Juice" and sometimes just "Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice" so I guess it's just a matter of where they can source it at any particular time. Agree that it's top notch as is the Tesco freshly squeezed stuff as well.

XPlus

I quite like the Tropicana Smooth for convenience.
Ripe enough with a lot less bits.
It's second to fresh ripe juice.
Grove organic is the worst I've tried.
Tastes like peel.

RayPeatFan777

I've noticed that the freshly squeezed OJ fro M&S is sometimes labelled "Freshly Squeezed Valencia Orange Juice" and sometimes just "Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice" so I guess it's just a matter of where they can source it at any particular time. Agree that it's top notch as is the Tesco freshly squeezed stuff as well.
Is this the stuff? Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice – Smooth (2 Bottles) | M&S

Its been some time, are you guys still using this stuff?

RayPeatFan777

Yeah that's the one. Always go for 'smooth'. They are always two for £4 as well in my M & S store. Easily the best tasting orange juice for me, and I've tried them all now. This one, taste wise, is just amazing. Very flavourful.
I just got an email response from m&s

Thank you for getting in touch about our freshly squeezed smooth orange juice.

I've got in touch with our food team and they have checked this product for you.

It's pasteurised and hasn't been treated with any enzymes.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks again for contacting us and have a great day.

Kind regards

Claudia Moreno
Retail Customer Services
Your M&S Customer Service

Orange juice for the UK,
it's coming some time, maybe.
Don't know what I want,
but I know how to get it,
I wanna destroy the concentrate,
'Cause I wanna buy freshly squeezed....

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals