2 Years Since I Didn't Come Here: I Healed All Of My Health Problems

Cirion

@Parsifal

Sorry for all the haters posting in reply, please don't leave because of that. To me, your post is really interesting but I was wondering if you could give me some specific details on how you got well, specifically elaborating the following points

1) Improving my gut microbiome - I've pretty much known I need to do this but have no idea where to start? Things like charcoal, flowers of sulfur seem to have limited or no effect on me, same with the carrot salad. Do you take probiotics and if so which strands? This is the only thing I have not yet tried due to Peat scaring me off. Yet, I should note, in my best health I took probiotics every day.

2) Reducing fungal infections (stopping sugar and some supplements when needed) So you stopped eating sugar and ate starch only? What about your comment earlier in the thread about starch intolerance? What can one do if one is intolerant to both sugar and starches? I have also found sugar ruins the teeth though and isn't satiating, now I eat starch but some starch comes with its own problems (potatoes for example sometimes don't sit well with me).

3) Improving vagal tone (the healthier/happiest I became, the easier it became of course, loving-kindness meditation helps a lot)
4) Meditation/mindfulness/relaxation
5) Avoiding foods that I don't tolerate well (lectins, dairy, the most amazing part is that while I improve my gut health I started tolerating most of these foods better) Very curious on this. Related to #1 I'm guessing.
6) Circadian rhythm protocols (including intermittent fasting). What does this protocol entail in more detail?
7) And finally exercise (really improved the anhedonia and well-being by 30% alone, but I needed to fix myself first because with dysautonomia I was exercise intolerant). How did you fix the exercise intolerance? I'm fat now (Thanks to eating all the fat-friendly foods like cheese and ice cream) which makes this a constant issue for me.

Your post speaks to me because my gut (pun only partially intended lol) is telling me I need to do a lot of the same things (fix gut, probably reduce fungus, fix my circadian rhythm, possibly get back into working out (you made a comment about low cortisol - exercise fixing that?). I heard that gbolduev (an old poster here) suggested that some people should do fasted morning training for example, and it's worth noting I felt my best when I used to do that and I only quit after people like Peat said it was a bad idea. Starting to think my problem is actually low cortisol and starting a fasted morning training regiment should fix that up real quick...

I know your reply to this post may be lengthy but I'd really appreciate it man! I feel like you can help me out with a lot of the puzzle to my own health problems.

Cheers

Last edited:
OP
Parsifal

Parsifal

I read that first study “Compared to mainly eating meals, children who snacked all day but had no real meals had a higher chance of dental decay (odds ratios (OR) = 2.32). There was an incremental association between a decreasing frequency of toothbrushing at age 2 and higher chances of dental decay at age 5 (OR range from 1.39 to 2.17). Among children eating sweets or chocolate more frequently (once/day or more), toothbrushing more often (once/day; twice/day or more) reduced the chance of decay (OR of 2.11–2.26 compared to OR 3.60 for the least frequent brushing group). Compared to mothers in managerial and professional occupations, those who had never worked had children with a much higher chance of decay (OR = 3.47)”

Riveting stuff... even throughout the rest of the study no where is sucrose actually even mentioned. Soft drinks are mentioned... so HFCS with citric acid and possibly brominated vegetable oil and “sweets” are mentioned... basically PUFA filled abominations with an arm length list of synthetic ingredients- “candy bars”. No where are any mechanisms even mentioned. Weak sauce. And the second study places blame on a wide variety of carbohydrates not just sucrose.

Well since I was just giving my N=1 and did not really take time to look for supporting evidence as in my experience it seems quite obvious that sugar increased plaque a lot more than other carbs.

You might find what you're looking for here as it discusses more directly about sucrose: Dental Caries - Diet and Health - NCBI Bookshelf

Anyways I'm not interested in debatting so this is my last message about this topic. Peace.

Cirion

Milk (and milk products) - I'll consume it from time-to-time and usually in the form of cheese or homemade ice cream. It took me some time to figure out why I gained weight so fast on milk. My discovery came from Ray himself and that was the Randle Cycle. Two energy burning systems we have - one burns fat and the other burns carbs. One system (fat burning system) shuts the other one off (carb burning system). Milk, pastries, sweetened chocolate, and other food combinations of sugar/fat place the body (my body at least) in a confused metabolic state where it prioritizes its current energy needs with the fat consumed and stores energy received from carbs as fat (or water weight). I believe mixing sugar and fat (beyond some threshold) is inflammatory even though the individual elements of the combination may be perfectly healthy by themselves. I've found as long as I do not mix fat and carbs at the same meal, everything works perfectly and there is no weight-gain on the scale the next day. I like eating low-carb breakfasts (e.g., bacon and eggs), light lunch (e.g., carrot, celery, or berries), and only carbs for dinner and before bed. Some days I will low-carb all day long. Other days I will high carb all day long. I will supplement Whey-protein (only ingredient is whey) so I can get adequate protein (without fat) during periods of high-carb consumption.

This was a very important discovery for me as well.

However, I think how badly the Randle Cycle impacts you is wholly dependent on your current metabolic health. Mixing some fats with carbs is not detrimental and may even be beneficial for someone who is metabolically healthy. However 100% agreed now based upon personal n=1 experimentation that mixing fats with carbs is very unwise if you are sick.

Fats can temporarily make you feel better, which literally makes them a drug of sorts, but in the long run tend to ruin your body both in terms of insulin resistance and gaining body fat and estrogens. And yes, even saturated fats. Wish I knew that before I gained 90 lbs.

Last edited:

somuch4food

@Parsifal

Sorry for all the haters posting in reply, please don't leave because of that. To me, your post is really interesting but I was wondering if you could give me some specific details on how you got well, specifically elaborating the following points

1) Improving my gut microbiome - I've pretty much known I need to do this but have no idea where to start? Things like charcoal, flowers of sulfur seem to have limited or no effect on me, same with the carrot salad. Do you take probiotics and if so which strands? This is the only thing I have not yet tried due to Peat scaring me off. Yet, I should note, in my best health I took probiotics every day.

2) Reducing fungal infections (stopping sugar and some supplements when needed) So you stopped eating sugar and ate starch only? What about your comment earlier in the thread about starch intolerance? What can one do if one is intolerant to both sugar and starches? I have also found sugar ruins the teeth though and isn't satiating, now I eat starch but some starch comes with its own problems (potatoes for example sometimes don't sit well with me).

3) Improving vagal tone (the healthier/happiest I became, the easier it became of course, loving-kindness meditation helps a lot)
5) Avoiding foods that I don't tolerate well (lectins, dairy, the most amazing part is that while I improve my gut health I started tolerating most of these foods better) Very curious on this. Related to #1 I'm guessing.
6) Circadian rhythm protocols (including intermittent fasting). What does this protocol entail in more detail?
7) And finally exercise (really improved the anhedonia and well-being by 30% alone, but I needed to fix myself first because with dysautonomia I was exercise intolerant). How did you fix the exercise intolerance? I'm fat now (Thanks to eating all the fat-friendly foods like cheese and ice cream) which makes this a constant issue for me.

Your post speaks to me because my gut (pun only partially intended lol) is telling me I need to do a lot of the same things (fix gut, probably reduce fungus, fix my circadian rhythm, possibly get back into working out (you made a comment about low cortisol - exercise fixing that?). I heard that gbolduev (an old poster here) suggested that some people should do fasted morning training for example, and it's worth noting I felt my best when I used to do that and I only quit after people like Peat said it was a bad idea. Starting to think my problem is actually low cortisol and starting a fasted morning training regiment should fix that up real quick...

I know your reply to this post may be lengthy but I'd really appreciate it man! I feel like you can help me out with a lot of the puzzle to my own health problems.

Cheers

Why not try incorporating more of what has worked for you in the past and see for yourself? It's ok to get influenced by others, but you should not stop yourself from experimenting something that feels useful to you even if some expert disagrees with it. If you listen to your body, it will tell you when it doesn't like something you're doing.

Dr. Peat has no prescriptions for anything.

He recommends no diet.

He has discovered and promulgates certain ideas and principles but doesn’t tell you what to do about them. If you listen to his KMUD interviews, hours and hours, as I often do, you will hear how he talks to callers and what he says, and in those cases he does make recommendations.

But not otherwise. You have to put it together yourself.

People here seem to love intermittent fasting. Fine. Do it. You may feel better. As you age, you may find that the resulting insulin resistance and constant free fatty acids and elevated cortisol take their toll.

I don’t know how old the OP is, but I recall not that old. I’m almost 60 and I have to do things a bit differently.

Starch isn’t as clear cut. Dr. Peat has said starch promotes endotoxins. It does. Of course people live on starch and always have. “Poorer” people as he points out. If you want to eat starch, Dr. PEat isn’t going to tell you not to. I guarantee he will not.

You have to Perceive. Think. And Act. It’s all a puzzle. There is nothing simple about any of it.

I would say though

1. Low/no pufas. They are stored. This is novel. Nobody else says this. So when you fast, they are released into the bloodstream where they depress Leydig and beta cells and can kill them.

2. Iron is bad. It is stored. It gets worse as we age. Nobody else makes this as clear as Dr. Peat.

3. Endotoxins are bad. They cause the liver to suffer.

4. Metabolism falls as we age. Take thyroid. Everyone needs it. Dr.Peat is the only one saying this.

I agree with the 4 principles above. How you get there — that is anyone’s challenge.

Cirion

Why not try incorporating more of what has worked for you in the past and see for yourself? It's ok to get influenced by others, but you should not stop yourself from experimenting something that feels useful to you even if some expert disagrees with it. If you listen to your body, it will tell you when it doesn't like something you're doing.

Yeah relying too much on authority has been my downfall. I'm not gonna name names, but there is a well known user here that used to post here that I got coaching from and I sort of blame him for making me gain 90 lb because I put too much trust in the whole "eat as much as you like" of both fat and sugar until "metabolism is healed" theory which backfired horribly for me. Now I'm going to just figure it out myself, still getting guidance where I can, but not taking anyone as the ultimate authority except for myself. I can't really blame him that much, because really no one is responsible for my health but me.

If I have learned anything so far, its that your gut is usually correct - so listen and act upon it. This is true not only with health, but other things not related to health - also relationships, career advice, any big life decisions. Every time I have ignored my gut, I have run into trouble. So I have learned to listen to my inner voice more lately.

OP
Parsifal

Parsifal

@Parsifal

Cheers

Hey Cirion I don't have intentions to leave, will not post much as I said what I had to say mainly but will come to check here and there, there are always interesting posts.

However I will have to reply to you later, sorry, I have other obligations for today and maybe next days but will try to reply ASAP. I don't guarantee you that it will help you or that you will feel better as all of the stuff I did are my N=1, but I will try to reply to everything anyways. You can already find some replies to your questions if you check the books and other stuff I quoted in my 2nd post.

Otherwise I did not come back on this forum to give health directives and recommendations as I really don't have enough knowledge and certitudes about all of this, I agree to give a bit more details on what helped me but will stop after that.

:thumbup

Cirion

Hey Cirion I don't have intentions to leave, will not post much as I said what I had to say mainly but will come to check from here and there, there are always interesting posts.

However I will have to reply to you later, sorry, I have other obligations for today and maybe next daysbut will try to reply ASAP. I don't guarantee you that it will help you or that you will feel better as all of the stuff I did are my N=1, but I will try to reply to everything anyways. You can already find some replies to your questions if you check the books and other stuff I quoted in my 2nd post.

Otherwise I did not come back on this forum to give health directives and recommendations as I really don't have enough knowledge and certitudes about all of this, I agree to give a bit more details on what helped me but will stop after that.

That's fine man. And I've been around long enough to realize how things are different for everyone, and I tend to follow your way of doing things now (Absorb useful information from as many people as possible). So I am sure I won't absorb all of what you have to say (No offense! Lol) BUT I have a feeling you'll give me one or two more pieces of the puzzle that I need =) I have my own opinions on what the truth is, so I am just curious to see if your reply with validate some of my thoughts that I now have.

The trick is to be open-minded. EVERYONE has at least one or two interesting truths or useful experiences to share, we just have to be open to see them. I have people whom I disagree with harshly as much as 80-90%, but the 10% I do agree on, were useful revelations. So never completely dismiss anyone - you never know what truths you may learn.

I myself have about a dozen different people I can quote that have helped me along my health journey but of which not one I fully agree with, and Peat is only one of them.

Last edited:

ilikecats

@Parsifal Fair enough. And I admit I came off a little harsh in terms of knocking your career claims but they seemed pretty far fetched to me (I still have my doubts admittedly but I think that's reasonable). And yeah (in the US at least) the term philanthropy is usually reserved for very large donations of money to causes/charity that can only really be done by multi millionaires and billionaires and I thought it was impossible for you to have accumulated wealth like that so quickly but it sounds like I'm misinterpreting your claim or am I? What do your companies do? Not asking out of an attempt to debunk your career claims, just genuinely curious.

danielbb

This was a very important discovery for me as well.

However, I think how badly the Randle Cycle impacts you is wholly dependent on your current metabolic health. Mixing some fats with carbs is not detrimental and may even be beneficial for someone who is metabolically healthy. However 100% agreed now based upon personal n=1 experimentation that mixing fats with carbs is very unwise if you are sick.
I used the term carbs loosely and should have been more specific @Cirion. Of course there are carbs that can be mixed with fats. Almost all vegetables (since they are so low in carbs) can be mixed without consequence. Berries and watermelon for example, are also low enough in carb-content (i.e., low sugar content) that they can be mixed with fat within reason. Substances such as potatoes (all forms) and rice should not be categorized with low-carb vegetables because they are in fact high in carbs and therefore should not mixed with fat if possible. Fruit, due to its high sugar content, is best eating without the presence of fat. Whole grains such as oatmeal and un-enriched flour are also very high in carb-content but they work fine for me as long as I do not mix them with fat if possible. Mixing can occur if some threshold is maintained. For example, eating only a small amount of fruit with fat, for example and not exceeding a particular carb threshold for a given person's tolerance of the mixture. Likewise, eating a small amount of fat (e.g., a few bites of cheese) while eating a high-carb meal while not exceeding a given fat threshold for that meal.

Regarding your fasting comment, intermittent fasting has been a wonderful tool for me. I am not telling anyone else to do it however but I love doing it about once a week and the results are excellent. Brad Pillon has written as wonderful book on the subject.

I mentioned I do not restrict my food choices in any manner. My only restriction is I have to select the ingredients myself and prepare my food myself.

Most of us raised here in the US were raised on pizza as a one mainstay of our diets. This is the perfect storm of fat and carbs imho. Here is how I still enjoy pizza to this very day without the weight-gain/inflammation issues normally associated with it:

Strategy 1: Dramatically lower the carb content and apply regular fat-based toppings. People have used zucchini or cauliflower-based crusts to do that with the implication that the bread in the normal pizza dough is unhealthy. I disagree with that assertion but agree that this strategy can work if you like pizza since the higher fat content of the traditional toppings is offset by low-carb crust.

Strategy two:
Make your pizza dough from un-enriched flour (no iron or other additives) (e.g., King Arthur brand or Italian flour that is wheat only)
Apply your sauce as normal
Use Kraft No-fat Mozzarella cheese (If someone knows of some other no-fat cheese please let me know).
My wife and I like green peppers and mushrooms as toppings and avoid the meat with this so there is no fat and this is a pure carbohydrate meal. I have nothing against fat other than PUFA.

#2 is my favorite and everyone who has tried it loves it. No gaining two or three pounds on the scale the next day by retaining water as with normal restaurant style pizza. The no-fat cheese is made with skim milk and there might be a couple of questionable ingredients other than milk. The cheese is perfectly fine and I estimate it is about 90% as satisfying as regular high-fat provolone or mozzarella cheese. It's close enough and it is delicious.

Please everyone who reads what I have written, I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. Just sharing what has worked for me and potential theories on why that has worked.

Cirion

@Parsifal Fair enough. And I admit I came off a little harsh in terms of knocking your career claims but they seemed pretty far fetched to me (I still have my doubts admittedly but I think that's reasonable). And yeah (in the US at least) the term philanthropy is usually reserved for very large donations of money to causes/charity that can only really be done by multi millionaires and billionaires and I thought it was impossible for you to have accumulated wealth like that so quickly but it sounds like I'm misinterpreting your claim or am I? What do your companies do? Not asking out of an attempt to debunk your career claims, just genuinely curious.

It is hard to imagine what a good metabolism is like if one has a poor metabolism. I mean a truly rocking 100% metabolism. I have had one myself twice in my life and let me tell you, it's something else.

I've yet to get it back, but I know when I do, all sorts of things will change - I likely also will move to a tropical climate, quite possibly will start a side business on top of my day job, start powerlifting again - probably start competing etc. I wouldn't believe this change would be believable either if I hadn't experience what a good metabolism feels like.

I used to post on anabolicmen forums before they shut down and this one guy said he went from office monkey to CEO after fixing his health. Seems far-fetched but I absolutely believe it. Virtually everyone has a suppressed metabolism which is also suppressing their ambition, their dreams, their motivation. Once health is repaired, there are no inhibitions and virtually no limit on what you can accomplish.

When your mind is 100% functioning with no brain fog or distractions all of a sudden you crave success and ambition and confidence comes easily. It is a great place to be. To be honest, the only reason I care to live any more is knowing that such a state of mind is achieveable, because right now my life isn't that great, but I know it can get better.

Collden

People here seem to love intermittent fasting. Fine. Do it. You may feel better. As you age, you may find that the resulting insulin resistance and constant free fatty acids and elevated cortisol take their toll.

I don’t know how old the OP is, but I recall not that old. I’m almost 60 and I have to do things a bit differently.
Ori Hofmekler is nearly 70 and has been doing great on IF for many decades.

I dont necessarily advocate IF, there's a lot of pitfalls with it, but honestly, eating all the time and never giving your gut a rest doesn't seem to work that great either... Else why would so many people who already been burned by overdoing IF in the past, keep coming back to it time and again? You yourself have posted on numerous occasions here about when you've gone back to trying some form of intermittent fasting.

Gabriel Dell

Dr. Peat has no prescriptions for anything.

He recommends no diet.

He has discovered and promulgates certain ideas and principles but doesn’t tell you what to do about them. If you listen to his KMUD interviews, hours and hours, as I often do, you will hear how he talks to callers and what he says, and in those cases he does make recommendations.

But not otherwise. You have to put it together yourself.

Starch isn’t as clear cut. Dr. Peat has said starch promotes endotoxins. It does. Of course people live on starch and always have. “Poorer” people as he points out. If you want to eat starch, Dr. PEat isn’t going to tell you not to. I guarantee he will not.

You have to Perceive. Think. And Act. It’s all a puzzle. There is nothing simple about any of it.

I would say though

1. Low/no pufas. They are stored. This is novel. Nobody else says this. So when you fast, they are released into the bloodstream where they depress Leydig and beta cells and can kill them.

2. Iron is bad. It is stored. It gets worse as we age. Nobody else makes this as clear as Dr. Peat.

3. Endotoxins are bad. They cause the liver to suffer.

4. Metabolism falls as we age. Take thyroid. Everyone needs it. Dr.Peat is the only one saying this.

I agree with the 4 principles above. How you get there — that is anyone’s challenge.

Whats the point in using thyroid if when you stop taking your symptons will get worse than before

InChristAlone

Instead of thyroid I use light therapy and food, it works. I don't ever want to be tied to exogenous hormones unless there is no other hope.

Makrosky

Absolutely wonderful thread. Thanks a lot parsifal!!! I am really glad you improved a lot, and escaped the prison.

I should seriously think about "dePeating" this year. Quit the forum for many months also. It is higienic I think.

TripleOG

Seems like an improved environment plus a reignited life purpose did more than switching up what you ate.

Ray Peat inspired eating isn't a cure all for life predicaments.

Good job taking control of your situation.

Cirion

Seems like an improved environment plus a reignited life purpose did more than switching up what you ate.

Ray Peat inspired eating isn't a cure all for life predicaments.

Good job taking control of your situation.

Not entirely. Both myself and @Runenight201 have experienced that you can feel great even in a fairly crappy environment and no social life and mediocre job. I myself experienced this a couple times a few years back even though I have no social life and live in a boring city away from my family. I would argue it was his improved cellular energy that allowed him to improve his environment, but that it is true that the momentum gained from this change probably furthered his cellular energy. I'm not speaking for him of course, but that's what I figure happened. It's all a matter of perspective. High cellular energy lets you see the positive in life, even in bad situations... Whereas low cellular energy makes you look at everything in a negative light... even in good situations.

This is one of those things you don't believe until you see it for yourself, so I can understand your skepticism, because most people haven't experienced it, and I wouldn't believe what I'm writing here either unless I personally experienced it.

(But I do agree "the Ray Peat diet" as we understand it has lots of flaws, on this we do agree... I no longer follow a lot of "the RP diet" principles). I put "RP diet" in quote marks because I understand he wants you to perceive think act etc. but that there is kind of a "diet" promoted around here by most people.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals