Can I Hack It? So Far, My Health Would Say No

Jack Roe

Hi Jack, thanks for the input. I hear what you’re saying, but I think the one common aspect of those taking thyroid, and those who Dr. Peat is suggesting it for, is that they’re not healthy. Should I take it, my objective would be to get back to normal (healthy), and wean myself off of it. I say this as a point of discussion, and not with an absolute position on it. I can say, based on my past experiences with supplements, and what I’ve read about thyroid experiences, it would take more coaxing for me to take it, than not.

I had been using cronometer for the last year, and normally would come up short within a given day on meeting my RDAs. So, you do have a point there. I do prefer to survive, and eventually thrive, on food alone, but my poor health keeps me searching for something extra.

I do have molybdenum, but am hesitant to take it, after just recently reading some negatives on supplementing it (on this forum). I’ll have to search for it. Currently, I hardly take any supplements—too many bad reactions.

Cronometer does not track molybdenum (that I’m aware of), so I’m not certain how I would tell what I’m getting in food. As for the other detail and recomemdations you provide, I’ll have to go back over it, to attempt to grasp it. This stuff doesn't come as natural to me, as many others on this forum, but I do usually glean some key points and can build on my understanding of things.

Thanks for your perspective.

Molybdenum is tolerated by the body up to milligram quantities even tho it is only necessary in microgram amounts. And keep in mind, anyone talking about taking thyroid or steroid hormones is not trying to keep anyone off supplements, they're trying to sell supplements that are not at all going to correct nutritional deficiencies, because thyroid and steroid are not essential nutrients; the body produces its own steroids and thyroid hormones from the essential nutrients.

Liebig's Law of the Minimum applies to plants and to animals.

Liebig's law of the minimum - Wikipedia
Liebig's law of the minimum - Wikipedia

So, model nutrition as a barrel made of upright planks. Generalize health as the barrel being full, less health as the barrel being less than full. So, if one plank is only 75% as high as all of the others, the barrel only gets 75% full, because the other 25% of the water spills out over that plank. "It states that growth is dictated not by total resources available, but by the scarcest resource (limiting factor)." Thus, health is dictated not by total resources available, but by the scarcest resource.

As I say, I know lots of healthy people, especially Asians, who, maybe you've heard the old joke, what's the only thing with four legs that a Chinese guy won't eat? A table. They love food, have a rich culture surrounding food, and they certainly don't shy away from eating fats and oils, including fish and vegetable oils. But they also eat greens and beans and a wide variety of different things. So I know lots of healthy people who eat almost anything. Some people claim this is because of "gut microbiome", but, if we apply Liebig's Law to that, if your gut is lacking mineral nutrition, it cannot produce an optimum number of bacteria any more than your body can produce optimum health. So is the gut biome the cause or the effect of adequate nutrition?

Meet the RDA, and if you like reading, read the IOM reports on every nutrient and look at what they say healthy free-living populations eat. For molbydenum, for example, they say the minimum is like 55ug or something, but healthy free-living male populations tend to get like 110ug, or 2x.

ddjd

I forgot to add, I did try adding saffron and nutmeg with the turmeric, but I feel if the saffron does anything, is makes me not feel well. I learned of these concoctions here, which claims saffron to be on par with CBD oil. CBD is an extraction from cannabis, that has been successful for many with inflammation and other health issues.

That link also states that saffron is high in B2, and I'm always eager to get vitamins in the natural forum, assuming they would be better assimilated. I will try saffron again, at some point, and hope to have better success. By the way, it's not cheap, and the quality can really vary; so, maybe therein lies my problem--quality.

It does seem like a miracle spice:
"...saffron has a long history of use as a folk medicine for treating cancer, convulsions, headaches, skin conditions, asthma, ulcers, premenstrual distress, and other diseases. The Ebers papyrus (1550 BC) refers to saffron as a “cheering cardiac medicament” and a cure for kidney problems...Clinical trials evaluated the anti-depressant properties of saffron and concluded that it was more effective than a placebo and equivalent to Prozac."​

View: https://twitter.com/nootropicguy/status/1685014072905887744?t=HsSe47Udc8Z9z6rq7JMwmQ&s=19