2 Years Since I Didn't Come Here: I Healed All Of My Health Problems

D

danishispsychic

I painfully persevered through this vapid post hoping to find something worth reading, alas in vain. He solved all of his health problems but won't give anybody a speck of specific info on how he did it.
I agree. Vapid is such a good word here. What I have come to realize time and time again, is pretty much everything that Dr Peat talks about is correct.... and I have tried the opposite of his teachings/ideas etc. a million times and usually my body was just not ready ...for instance, I am using charcoal now with great results and last year it did not work at all.... I am glad that Parsifal came back to grace us with his presence but what was the point?

lampofred

Hey lampofred, I might have misinterpreted some of Peat ideas but this kind of sentence: "such as thinking estrogen and iron are good for you because they give you energy in the short term, even though they will cause long range damage" is exactly what I call reductionism and dualism and criticized in my message to LiveWire.

It would have been more correct if you have said "they will cause long range damage IN EXCESS". The body actually needs them to function, and if you don't have any excess of them, why try to reduce them?

Peat's main premise is that estrogen and iron are stimulants that do not produce actual biological energy, and that if they make you feel better they are most likely masking other problems in the body, since in today's environment it's not really possible to be deficient in either estrogen or iron.

Serotonin, estrogen, etc. are all stress hormones that will make you functional in the short-term, but they are not pro-longevity.

I also think loving-kindness meditation lowers testosterone.

But it seems you are satisfied with your progress and current health, so I will just agree to disagree.

lampofred

Any wisdom to share?

I personally think starches are the key to a productive life, for one. Probably a few other places I disagree with Ray Peat, too. But I do agree with him on PUFAs. I think that's his one area that he is clearly right and multiple other authors support his writings. Otherwise, it's a case-by-case situation.

That is what Peat has said is purpose of starch. Ruling classes recommend starch/grains to working classes to keep them submissive and hardworking.

jzeno

@lampofred

What's the point of reading this thread if you do believe what Ray Peat writes?

Just saying, Peat is so anti-starch it's almost unreasonable. Yes, they have issues, but living off OJ and milk instead of eating starch? Unreasonable and impractical in my opinion that it sounds just silly to suggest it to someone.

Plus that ruling class non-sense went out the window when the US and capitalism created the middle class. I doubt potatoes and sourdough bread or rice or corn is the downfall of man. If anything it's the exact opposite: cheap, reliable calorie sources have allowed us to become more productive and not less. To suggest otherwise would just be asinine, historically. So, just take some of things which Ray says with a grain of salt. Also, I think you're misquoting him a bit, but don't quote me on that. I remember him saying that the US government suggested starches because they are affordable and efficient, but I never read anything about rulers.

InChristAlone

Goodness gracious you guys! He comes back to say hey I know this isn't Peaty but wanted to update that I'm now a functional healthy person. Then a few of you want to rip him to shreds because it's not in line with Peat.:roll:

ilikecats

Lol what? You left about 18 months ago (not really two years ago) and now you own two companies in TWO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES and live in a tropical paradise (after previously being a self described unemployed sickly recluse)?

“Philanthropy” lol

Are you a coke smuggler?

Forget peatdom that’s like one of the most incredible turn arounds in just all around human history. Unless you just had a ton of money that you had inherited and used that to finance everything. Or you could just be lying.

Last edited:

Nighteyes

Thanks for sharing Parsifal - great stuff :) curious why people feel the need to bring you down. Why is it so hard for people to simply move on in peace if a thread doesnt suit them.. shows that you have gotten Way further than Them Health wise! Otherwise they would understand. Oh and yes I agree with you about the gut microbiome - Peat seems to simple in his statements about that

papaya

Thanks everybody for the nice comments :):.

so happy for you, & thank you so much for sharing what worked for you. i'd love to know even more details if you're ever in the mood to share. not sure why some people here get so offended. good luck & keep living your best life!

Hey milk_lover thanks, I don't really feel qualified to give any health advices and like I said I think we're all different, but in my case there are 7 main things that helped the most:

1) Improving my gut microbiome
2) Reducing fungal infections (stopping sugar and some supplements when needed)
3) Improving vagal tone (the healthier/happiest I became, the easier it became of course, loving-kindness meditation helps a lot)
4) Meditation/mindfulness/relaxation
5) Avoiding foods that I don't tolerate well (lectins, dairy, the most amazing part is that while I improve my gut health I started tolerating most of these foods better)
6) Circadian rhythm protocols (including intermittent fasting).
7) And finally exercise (really improved the anhedonia and well-being by 30% alone, but I needed to fix myself first because with dysautonomia I was exercise intolerant).

Regarding microbiome health, I highly recommend people to check what Kiran Krishnan has to say. While I don't agree with him on everything (let's say that I agree on 80%), I think he shares a lot of great content. The microbiome is really involved in virtually any disease/health issue, I'm reading a lot of research about it and that's really amazing.

Thanks LifeWire. I did not want to create a polemic as I find it really useless, 99.99% debates are only egos clashing and none of the debaters will have grown or changed their view in the end, they will become even more closed. I just wanted to share my testimonial and give some hope as I craved to read this kind of post when I was very sick. That was already quite long for 1 post.

However, I will try to reply to you (very) briefly: I think that Peat (or at least the way he is interpreted online) is too dualist (either a substance is absolutely good or bad). He stresses too much the effects of some molecules like if they were bad in every context and doses. We need serotonin, we need estrogens and other of these molecules that have a bad rap here to maintain homeostasis. And we need a gut microbiome (which is involved in virtually any systems of the body, even the nervous system and hormones), the higher the diversity the better (which is not promoted by Peat's guidelines).

Hey jzeno, while I agree that starches are important and useful, I don't think that most people can tolerate all starches well and in every context. Potatoes for examples are nightshades, they have a bit of lectins and their glycemic index are high. While I tolerate them now and eat a bit of them, while I still was "full Peat" I was sick each time I just ate a bite (and even other starches), so I think it's really a matter of context and that people have to adapt and heal their gut permeability. That's also why I don't want to give any specific advices, some people might really be sick if they try to emulate what I'm doing because they would need several adaptative steps before being able to fully tolerate more starches/fibers in their diet.

My favorite starches are purple sweet potatoes which were the main staple of okinawans until recently. I also eat quite a lot of leafy vegetables and rice.

Also about PUFA, while I keep them low most of the time (I guess under 5%, I don't count), I'm not obsessed about getting them to 0% and I think that Peat might be excessive about his claims on PUFA. I don't agree with Paul Jaminet on many things, but what he says about PUFA seems more grounded to me.

Thanks Tenacity, and I'm happy if it gave you some hope as it was the goal of my message.
Regarding dysautonomia, I know there are a lot of different types so what helped me might not help you. Still, in my case what helped was reducing gut permeability and inflammation, balancing the nervous system and improving vein tone with polyphenols.

Hey Idenonaut, I'm sorry you did not find anything meaningful here but I wanted to keep it short. You will find more information in this post even though I kept it broad.

Hey lampofred, I might have misinterpreted some of Peat ideas but this kind of sentence: "such as thinking estrogen and iron are good for you because they give you energy in the short term, even though they will cause long range damage" is exactly what I call reductionism and dualism and criticized in my message to LiveWire.

It would have been more correct if you have said "they will cause long range damage IN EXCESS". The body actually needs them to function, and if you don't have any excess of them, why try to reduce them?

Thanks opson123, to keep it short:

I was jobless and recluse for several years but now I live in a tropical country (my dream since many years) and own companies in 2 different countries. I travel a lot and work with a team of 15 people. Have many different projects (ecology, permaculture, art, philantropy, etc) and work around 80 to 100 hours per week on all of this. Still find some time to have great time with my wife, read a lot, learn new things, exercise, etc.

Hope you understand if I don't come here a lot ;), I guess that some things I said will be debated and criticized but honestly I don't care, I found my path and what works for me so I will put priority on enjoying life, I think it might be my one of my last message here as I said what I had to say and don't really see what I could add more.

Great post Dave, thanks for sharing! Bruce is definitely an inspirational man.

Final note. I only agree with few % of what the following people/books say but they helped me in different areas:

- Toxic: Heal Your Body from Mold Toxicity, Lyme Disease, Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, and Chronic Environmental Illness by Neil Nathan

- The Paleo Approach by Sarah Ballantyne for autoimmunity. Disclaimer: I think that paleo is a buzzword but the book is interesting and valuable

- The Plant Paradox by Steven Gundry

- Kiran Krishnan for gut microbiome and health

- Dave Mayo for circadian related things

Would advise to look at polyvagal theory, heart rate variability, how to increase vagal tone, positive psychology, even personal growth/philosophy books.

Take care everybody, wish a good health to all of you no matter what are your means to attain/maintain it :yellohello.

danielbb

Hello guys,

I've been quite active on this forum from 2015 to 2017, but as you might have noticed, I am not posting anymore. I'm writing this post to give news as some of you contacted me, and I also felt that I should leave a testimonial of my experience following Ray's advices (blindly) for several years:

When I came here, I was bascially a mess. I was exhausted, depressed, anhedonic, depersonalized. I had social and generalized anxiety, panic attacks. I had a lot of health issues including dysautonomia, brain fog, food intolerances, fungal infections, gut issues, etc.

I've tried so many things that Ray recommends, and also things recommended by other people on the FB groups and this forum. I've tried to go no starch and no fibers, increase "Peaty" fruits, increase sugar, supplements, thyroid, antibiotics, caffeine, etc. Honestly despite all of my efforts and dedication, things did not improve much and even got worse on some aspects. The only reply I got when asking for advices were mostly "eat more calories, eat more sugar, get x supplement, etc". My teeth also deteriorated a lot (from the sugar) despite of all of the calcium I was getting.

I had (and still have) a lot of respect Ray and for what he taught me. I learned a lot of valuable things, and I think he is a very unique and out-of-the-box thinker with many great ideas (especially in regard to his focus on biophysics and metabolism). I also think that he is genuinely trying to help and empower others altruistically. But I also realized that he is human, with his flaws, cognitive biases and ideologies, and that he might not be right about everything.

I stopped coming on this forum after he answered one of my email where he obviously rejected evidence that was contradicting his ideas on the gut (that a sterile gut is better). I had a full paradigm shift, a true revelation: even though I thought I was a free thinker, independant, I was dependant over what other people I thought were my "superiors" (in terms of knowledge) said and recommended. I was always expecting from these people to give me advices and direction in life (directly or indirectly). I was afraid to disagree with them.

I am not blaming or criticizing Ray as he doesn't force anyone to follow his ideas or recommendations, as nobody on the groups or on this forum did, even though some of them might be talking as if they have the ultimate truth in any circumstances. I am the only person responsible for the mental prison I was in.

So I decided that I should really stop submitting myself to any authority, even though I was exhausted and needed help and support from the outside. I decided that I would take full responsibility for my health/life and to find the strength in myself to really see what I should do to improve things by trial and error.

Today, I can say that I am completely healed from most of my past health issues, or at least most things improved by 80 - 90%. I did so by reading a lot from here and there in a lot of different fields, thinking/inferring and by testing, trial and error.
I now have strong purposes and goals in my life, great relationships, spirituality, a lot of great and successful activities. I can enjoy sport again, I am overall very happy, grateful, active and have only few discomfort and negativity. I still have things to improve, but I am quite confident as things keep improving exponentially, I discover new paths and ideas everyday.

So I just wanted to remind you important things that I've learned:

- Never become fanatical or too obsessed about something, and never try to push your opinion/beliefs on others. It only means that you are insecure.

- The body is a very complex machine. There is no one-size-fits-all. Something that might be beneficial for someone might no be for another one. Stay humble before this vast complexity. Embrace complexity, be holistic and be careful with reductionism.

- Stay open-minded and always seek to improve your ideas and paradigms, they will never be perfect. When you stop evolving or growing, life starts to really suck.

- Take responsibility for everything that happens to you, don't blame others, be pro-active.

Good luck to all of you and take care.
This is one of the most interesting and inspiring posts I've ever read here @Parsifal. As I read your words and thoughts, I started thinking that your healing was actually getting your mind right and then your body followed. That has been my experience as well. About half way through your post you started mentioning the spiritual aspects of your healing and it confirmed to me at least that your healing was from a deep spiritual place. I love @Dave Clark comments on Bruce Lee as well.... learn from others and take what works for you. That is my system and it works for me.

PUFA is the foundation of Ray's work imho. If people learn that one simple thing, they will be way ahead of the health game. The other toxic ingredients I've learned from Ray are industrial additives such a iron and low-grade b-vitamins (e.g., in flour). Soy is another one and finally Carageenan that is found in almost all US ice cream. Basically, eliminating processed food will just about restore everyone's health over time. Knowing those, I am able to prepare any food I like without fear of toxicity.

How did I find out about Ray? I found sugar had amazing healing properties for me - especially before bed. I had always been told sugar was bad but have always responded favorably to it. It led me to research and I began to read Ray's very-detailed scientific analysis. Sugar in all its forms fruit, honey, vegetables, sugar, brown sugar, (even starch from whole foods) and so forth works wonders for me. I am convinced that the reason most respond favorably to fruit is not because of the antioxidants but because of the wonderful properties of sugar.

I've read enough accounts here to know that what works for me may not work for someone else. I believe supplements are mostly designed to separate us from our money and they are unnecessary. Some here are suspicious of the medical profession yet have no problem consuming all kinds of supplements each day. I wonder if anyone else sees the irony in that. I have been concerned our forum here has elements of a magic-pill forum.

When I first came here, I tried hard-core Peat inspired stuff like OJ and milk. Milk caused me to gain weight in a hurry, for example, and it took me awhile to figure out what was going on. I am convinced many of Ray's ideas are anecdotal inspirations. He went to Russia and then the Netherlands one time and formed the opinion that they were lean in the Netherlands because they were low in starch and high in milk-based products. I've seen dozens of threads here where people gain weight on some of Ray's dieting ideas that probably work best for Ray himself.

Things different from Ray:

All fruit. Ray has reservations about all types of fruits like apples, pineapples, tomatoes, and so forth. Apples are a miracle drug for me, for example. I also load my fruit with sugar. For me, bananas are limited only because they seem to slow my digestion a bit.

A good tip I got from Ray is to mostly eat cooked vegetables. I did experience some thyroid problems when I was eating tons of raw cruciferous vegetables.

Love spices like black pepper. I've heard Ray express reservations on pepper (it comes from seeds) and this makes no sense.

Milk (and milk products) - I'll consume it from time-to-time and usually in the form of cheese or homemade ice cream. It took me some time to figure out why I gained weight so fast on milk. My discovery came from Ray himself and that was the Randle Cycle. Two energy burning systems we have - one burns fat and the other burns carbs. One system (fat burning system) shuts the other one off (carb burning system). Milk, pastries, sweetened chocolate, and other food combinations of sugar/fat place the body (my body at least) in a confused metabolic state where it prioritizes its current energy needs with the fat consumed and stores energy received from carbs as fat (or water weight). I believe mixing sugar and fat (beyond some threshold) is inflammatory even though the individual elements of the combination may be perfectly healthy by themselves. I've found as long as I do not mix fat and carbs at the same meal, everything works perfectly and there is no weight-gain on the scale the next day. I like eating low-carb breakfasts (e.g., bacon and eggs), light lunch (e.g., carrot, celery, or berries), and only carbs for dinner and before bed. Some days I will low-carb all day long. Other days I will high carb all day long. I will supplement Whey-protein (only ingredient is whey) so I can get adequate protein (without fat) during periods of high-carb consumption.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Lol what? You left about 18 months ago (not really two years ago) and now you own two companies in TWO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES and live in a tropical paradise (after previously being a self described unemployed sickly recluse)?

“Philanthropy” lol

Are you a coke smuggler?

Forget peatdom that’s like one of the most incredible turn arounds in just all around human history. Unless you just had a ton of money that you had inherited and used that to finance everything. Or you could just be lying.

I noticed that too. I was fine with the health turnaround, but I got stuck on the financial miracle...

I'm glad you're better! :):

That is what Peat has said is purpose of starch. Ruling classes recommend starch/grains to working classes to keep them submissive and hardworking.
Interesting, I think so too, can you please link me to where he said that?

ddjd

And finally exercise (really improved the anhedonia and well-being by 30% alone, but I needed to fix myself first because with dysautonomia I was exercise intolerant).
yes im starting to realise that a little cardio / aerobic exercise can be very healing, and especially good for the dopaminergic system. i think 30 minutes a few times a week of raised heart rate is very helpful. obviously not too much, as the stress will outweight the benefits.

OP
Parsifal

Parsifal

My peating journey hasn't been a straight shot so I'm very curious when I hear stuff like this but then when it gets down to details things seem to get a little flimsy NO OFFENSE. Through what mechanism does sugar damage teeth?

Hey ilikecats, you can read this: Positive association between sugar consumption and dental decay prevalence independent of oral hygiene in pre-school children: a longitudinal prospective study or Role of Sugar and Sugar Substitutes in Dental Caries: A Review

In my experience what's written there is true, but I might be wrong or biased. I have to say that my gut and microbiome were really messed up before starting to follow Peat recommandations so I might have been more sensitive to overgrowth and biofilm.

“Philanthropy” lol

Are you a coke smuggler?

Hey again, the way I put it may sound incredible but there is nothing really amazing. I lived as recluse for several years since I was sick and had autistic/depressed tendencies, but before that I was actually a hard working guy interested by a lot of topics, with good cognitive skills and a strong ability to absorb information, analyse, being intuitive and use strategical thinking. I am also reading/researching about and preparing to start my business since more than 10 years so it's not like if I'm starting from nowhere, it has matured for several years even though I would not have been able to do the first step if my health did not improve. I also never mentionned anywhere that I'm rich or something, but I found your attitude a bit weird.
So nothing really exceptional, I'm not the next Mark Zuckerberg or Steve Jobs but I'm pretty lucky and grateful.

Regarding the philanthropy word, english is not my main language so it might sound ridiculous or awkward in this context, however I'm quite happy to have this project, altruism is really one of my deep values.

@Parsifal Re:Starches

FYI, Ray Peat always says "well-cooked starches", but doesn't elaborate. Charlotte Gerson elaborates in her book: https://www.truthseekerz.com/The.Ge...al.Program.for.Cancer.and.Other.Illnesses.pdf

Page 339

"Potatoes are most often boiled slowly in a covered pot over medium low heat approximately 1 hour until tender."

I won't say definitively that this preparation method will work for everyone, but if prepared well, I think people will have a better chance of success. And if people do well on cancer with these thorough cooking methods, then hey--might work for others, too.

I just shared this for others. Ray always said "well-cooked" and simply never provides a thorough explanation. Charlotte's book is chalked full of recipes like Hippocrates Soup (well-cooked vegetable soup, that Dr. Peat sometimes refers to, as well).

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing about Gerson jzeno, I'm not really familiar about his (or Charlotte) work but I agree that preparation of starches might play an important role. I think that gut dysbiosis and permeability probably plays a big role in starch tolerance as well.

I agree. Vapid is such a good word here. What I have come to realize time and time again, is pretty much everything that Dr Peat talks about is correct.... and I have tried the opposite of his teachings/ideas etc. a million times and usually my body was just not ready ...for instance, I am using charcoal now with great results and last year it did not work at all.... I am glad that Parsifal came back to grace us with his presence but what was the point?

Hey danishipsychic, that's cool if Peat stuff work for you. As for the point of my message, I think it inspired some other people and gave them some positive energy (as I read in the comments) which was the goal, but I understand if you were not really touched by it. Good luck.

Peat's main premise is that estrogen and iron are stimulants that do not produce actual biological energy, and that if they make you feel better they are most likely masking other problems in the body, since in today's environment it's not really possible to be deficient in either estrogen or iron.

Serotonin, estrogen, etc. are all stress hormones that will make you functional in the short-term, but they are not pro-longevity.

I also think loving-kindness meditation lowers testosterone.

But it seems you are satisfied with your progress and current health, so I will just agree to disagree.

Hey lampofred, I think that the body has multiple other important mechanisms for life than energy production. What if your body just produces energy but cannot repair itself? If women did not have estrogens nobody would be born. Why would nature/the body itself produce all of these molecules if they were absolutely bad? This sounds like reductionism at its worst honestly, but maybe I did not understand correctly or you did not express yourself well?

Peat often talks about Broda Barnes for example, but did you know that Barnes was using cortisone with his patients so that they could respond to thyroid treatment better? Hypothyroidism increases CBG (cortisol binding globulin) and T3 uses a lot of cortisol, so you can be in hypocorticism if you are hypothyroid or taking thyroid supplementation (it even prevents metabolism of free cortisol) and believe me you have a lot of bad symptoms when it happens. Hormone metabolism and homeostasy is actually a lot more complex than what's explained in this forum. That is just an example between many...

Regarding testosterone being lowered with loving-kindness meditation... Is a man supposed to only be a caricatural macho without feelings or any ability to relax? I don't mean any offense here, but seriously man. Besides, testo in excess can be bad: Testosterone depletion / blockade in male rats protects against trauma hemorrhagic shock-induced distant organ injury by limiting gut injury and subsequent production of biologically active mesenteric lymph and not just because of aromatase.

? Humans have always consummed starches Stone Age hunters liked their carbs

I don't think social classes existed back then.

What??? What is the point of being on RPF if you don't believe what Ray Peat writes?

You don't have to agree with everything he says 100% to discuss about his ideas, this is not a cult or a dogma.

Goodness gracious you guys! He comes back to say hey I know this isn't Peaty but wanted to update that I'm now a functional healthy person. Then a few of you want to rip him to shreds because it's not in line with Peat.:roll:

Well Janelle525, so far I did not feel offended or insulted.

I understand that some people might feel unconfortable or insecure because they invested a lot of time and energy into studying and applying Peat stuff. They might be quite sick and thought it would heal all of their health issues, but since I show an alternative it might create cognitive dissonance or questioning which can be stressful as it would mean you need to change if these stuff are not absolute. Energy is not that high in sick people so I can understand reactive, frustrated or aggressive behavior.
Also, the tone in my messages is quite peaceful and non-authoritative so I understand if some people that live in the fight or flight hormonal state find it vapid, "feminine" or boring, I can see their point of view but I think they are missing something.

Like I said my goal is not to create polemic, I just want to share my testimonial and inspire sick people to show them that they can improve their health (with Peat or not I really don't care as long as it works for them) no matter how crappy things are. I just posted some caveats and disagreements I have with Peat, I never asked anyone to stop Peating and I don't want to give health recommendations as I have no expertise or legitimacy to do so. If the Peat stuff work for you that's perfectly fine.

This is one of the most interesting and inspiring posts I've ever read here @Parsifal. As I read your words and thoughts, I started thinking that your healing was actually getting your mind right and then your body followed. That has been my experience as well. About half way through your post you started mentioning the spiritual aspects of your healing and it confirmed to me at least that your healing was from a deep spiritual place. I love @Dave Clark comments on Bruce Lee as well.... learn from others and take what works for you. That is my system and it works for me.

Hey danielbb, sounds cool if all of this works for you :)! I think spirituality and mindset are very important parts of the healing process indeed, thanks for pointing it out. If you're always negative, juding, defensive, cricizing, competing, complaining, containing, aggressive, comparing yourself to others, jalous, anxious, insecure, etc, no matter what you do, your nervous system/vagus nerve will never promote an anabolic and healing restful state.

Take care guys.

Last edited:

SB4

Peat often talks about Broda Barnes for example, but did you know that Barnes was using cortisone with his patients so that they could respond to thyroid treatment better? Hypothyroidism increases CBG (cortisol binding globulin) and T3 uses a lot of cortisol, so you can be in hypocorticism if you are hypothyroid or taking thyroid supplementation (it even prevents metabolism of free cortisol) and believe me you have a lot of bad symptoms when it happens.

I am quite interested in this. Did a quick google search and all I could find was things saying cortisol inhibits T4 -> T3. Could you provide a link or search term to help me? Thanks.

ilikecats

I read that first study “Compared to mainly eating meals, children who snacked all day but had no real meals had a higher chance of dental decay (odds ratios (OR) = 2.32). There was an incremental association between a decreasing frequency of toothbrushing at age 2 and higher chances of dental decay at age 5 (OR range from 1.39 to 2.17). Among children eating sweets or chocolate more frequently (once/day or more), toothbrushing more often (once/day; twice/day or more) reduced the chance of decay (OR of 2.11–2.26 compared to OR 3.60 for the least frequent brushing group). Compared to mothers in managerial and professional occupations, those who had never worked had children with a much higher chance of decay (OR = 3.47)”

Riveting stuff... even throughout the rest of the study no where is sucrose actually even mentioned. Soft drinks are mentioned... so HFCS with citric acid and possibly brominated vegetable oil and “sweets” are mentioned... basically PUFA filled abominations with an arm length list of synthetic ingredients- “candy bars”. No where are any mechanisms even mentioned. Weak sauce. And the second study places blame on a wide variety of carbohydrates not just sucrose.

somuch4food

I read that first study “Compared to mainly eating meals, children who snacked all day but had no real meals had a higher chance of dental decay (odds ratios (OR) = 2.32). There was an incremental association between a decreasing frequency of toothbrushing at age 2 and higher chances of dental decay at age 5 (OR range from 1.39 to 2.17). Among children eating sweets or chocolate more frequently (once/day or more), toothbrushing more often (once/day; twice/day or more) reduced the chance of decay (OR of 2.11–2.26 compared to OR 3.60 for the least frequent brushing group). Compared to mothers in managerial and professional occupations, those who had never worked had children with a much higher chance of decay (OR = 3.47)”

Riveting stuff... even throughout the rest of the study no where is sucrose actually even mentioned. Soft drinks are mentioned... so HFCS with citric acid and possibly brominated vegetable oil and “sweets” are mentioned... basically PUFA filled abominations with an arm length list of synthetic ingredients- “candy bars”. No where are any mechanisms even mentioned. Weak sauce. And the second study places blame on a wide variety of carbohydrates not just sucrose.

So, basically junk food and a poor diet cause cavities, not sugar directly :D

InChristAlone

Hey ilikecats, you can read this: Positive association between sugar consumption and dental decay prevalence independent of oral hygiene in pre-school children: a longitudinal prospective study or Role of Sugar and Sugar Substitutes in Dental Caries: A Review

In my experience what's written there is true, but I might be wrong or biased. I have to say that my gut and microbiome were really messed up before starting to follow Peat recommandations so I might have been more sensitive to overgrowth and biofilm.

Hey again, the way I put it may sound incredible but there is nothing really amazing. I lived as recluse for several years since I was sick and had autistic/depressed tendencies, but before that I was actually a hard working guy interested by a lot of topics, with good cognitive skills and a strong ability to absorb information, analyse, being intuitive and use strategical thinking. I am also reading/researching about and preparing to start my business since more than 10 years so it's not like if I'm starting from nowhere, it has matured for several years even though I would not have been able to do the first step if my health did not improve. I also never mentionned anywhere that I'm rich or something, but I found your attitude a bit weird.
So nothing really exceptional, I'm not the next Mark Zuckerberg or Steve Jobs but I'm pretty lucky and grateful.

Regarding the philanthropy word, english is not my main language so it might sound ridiculous or awkward in this context, however I'm quite happy to have this project, altruism is really one of my deep values.

Thanks for sharing about Gerson jzeno, I'm not really familiar about his (or Charlotte) work but I agree that preparation of starches might play an important role. I think that gut dysbiosis and permeability probably plays a big role in starch tolerance as well.

Hey danishipsychic, that's cool if Peat stuff work for you. As for the point of my message, I think it inspired some other people and gave them some positive energy (as I read in the comments) which was the goal, but I understand if you were not really touched by it. Good luck.

Hey lampofred, I think that the body has multiple other important mechanisms for life than energy production. What if your body just produces energy but cannot repair itself? If women did not have estrogens nobody would be born. Why would nature/the body itself produce all of these molecules if they were absolutely bad? This sounds like reductionism at its worst honestly, but maybe I did not understand correctly or you did not express yourself well?

Peat often talks about Broda Barnes for example, but did you know that Barnes was using cortisone with his patients so that they could respond to thyroid treatment better? Hypothyroidism increases CBG (cortisol binding globulin) and T3 uses a lot of cortisol, so you can be in hypocorticism if you are hypothyroid or taking thyroid supplementation (it even prevents metabolism of free cortisol) and believe me you have a lot of bad symptoms when it happens. Hormone metabolism and homeostasy is actually a lot more complex than what's explained in this forum. That is just an example between many...

Regarding testosterone being lowered with loving-kindness meditation... Is a man supposed to only be a caricatural macho without feelings or any ability to relax? I don't mean any offense here, but seriously man. Besides, testo in excess can be bad: Testosterone depletion / blockade in male rats protects against trauma hemorrhagic shock-induced distant organ injury by limiting gut injury and subsequent production of biologically active mesenteric lymph and not just because of aromatase.

? Humans have always consummed starches Stone Age hunters liked their carbs

I don't think social classes existed back then.

You don't have to agree with everything he says 100% to discuss about his ideas, this is not a cult or a dogma.

Well Janelle525, so far I did not feel offended or insulted.

I understand that some people might feel unconfortable or insecure because they invested a lot of time and energy into studying and applying Peat stuff. They might be quite sick and thought it would heal all of their health issues, but since I show an alternative it might create cognitive dissonance or questioning which can be stressful as it would mean you need to change if these stuff are not absolute. Energy is not that high in sick people so I can understand reactive, frustrated or aggressive behavior.
Also, the tone in my messages is quite peaceful and non-authoritative so I understand if some people that live in the fight or flight hormonal state find it vapid, "feminine" or boring, I can see their point of view but I think they are missing something.

Like I said my goal is not to create polemic, I just want to share my testimonial and inspire sick people to show them that they can improve their health (with Peat or not I really don't care as long as it works for them) no matter how crappy things are. I just posted some caveats and disagreements I have with Peat, I never asked anyone to stop Peating and I don't want to give health recommendations as I have no expertise or legitimacy to do so. If the Peat stuff work for you that's perfectly fine.

Hey danielbb, sounds cool if all of this works for you :)! I think spirituality and mindset are very important parts of the healing process indeed, thanks for pointing it out. If you're always negative, juding, defensive, cricizing, competing, complaining, containing, aggressive, comparing yourself to others, jalous, anxious, insecure, etc, no matter what you do, your nervous system/vagus nerve will never promote an anabolic and healing restful state.

Take care guys.
That's great you are so calm you don't get offended when people are clearly trying to bring you down. You have certainly come a long way. And I agree with you on a lot of that stuff. Maybe not quitting sugar. But all the stuff about the nervous system. I got better by doing a lot of that too. I can throw myself back in sickness by forgetting it too.

OP
Parsifal

Parsifal

I am quite interested in this. Did a quick google search and all I could find was things saying cortisol inhibits T4 -> T3. Could you provide a link or search term to help me? Thanks.

Hey SB4, things are complex with hormone metabolism, and I'm really far from being an expert on the topic. Yeah excess cortisol inhibits T4 -> T3 but I don't think that's the case with physiological levels of cortisol. Here are some studies I saved on the topic:

Opposite effects of thyroid hormones on binding proteins for steroid hormones (sex hormone-binding globulin and corticosteroid-binding globulin) in... - PubMed - NCBI

Altered interaction between triiodothyronine and its nuclear receptors in absence of cortisol: a proposed mechanism for increased thyrotropin secre... - PubMed - NCBI

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi...7tKY0uLuwA_J-o3ohOXc5KFB7mntB4e6wCU_xePlihmw&

[Serum cortisol level variations in thyroid diseases]. - PubMed - NCBI

You can use Sci-Hub if you want to access the full articles.

I would add that you need good cortisol sensitivity to inhibit histamines and reduce oversecretion of adrenaline induced by ACTH and CRH. But if you have complex hormonal issues, I would really try to look at the whole picture rather than being reductionist.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals