1.5ish years of PM eating & now I'm seemingly pre-diabetic...

chimdp

Female, 36, 5'4, 132 lbs, very active farm life, 2500-3000 calories daily, carb heavy.

Came to PM eating from a pretty low/learned calorie intake, was about 98lbs when I began PM eating.

Never restricted carbs, fat, meat, just didn't eat enough consistent meals except dinner.

I'd say I'm only, from visual appearance of my body, 5-8 lbs overweight, but after a lifetime of basically being a walking bag of bones I figure it will take my body time to feel safe enough to let go of that.

I have however plateaued & do not continue to gain weight.

Sups:

325mg Aspirin
Thorne Vit k
Vit E
Cypro 1-3 x a week as needed.
Bee pollen
Pine pollen (I have low T)
Ideal labs androgens 1-2 drops cycled with my cycle.
Occasionally MB

The last week or so I had been having kinda out of the blue overwhelming waves of emotion & just feeling suddenly off so I went & bought a glucose meter.

The first time I tested I was in the 20 range, dangerous as hell.

I thought it might have been from taking double aspirin that morning coupled with a somewhat smaller than normal breakfast.

I stopped taking aspirin.

Thinking I was hypoglycemic from it + maybe not enough protein alongside the fruit I had for breakfast the next day I had more starch/protein.

Before I even got hungry in the afternoon my blood sugar dangerously plummeted again.

So I started tracking morning levels/after meals/whenever I feel off for the last week.

This morning my fasting blood sugar is 120, yesterday it was 140... This indicates pre-diabetic or outright diabetes.

I will add that I go hypo rapidly & often no matter how much I'm eating then it skyrockets back up & my ears start ringing.

My diet typically looks like:

Fruits
Meats
Cheese
OJ
Potatoes
More cheese
Ample raw goats milk
Maple syrup
Honey
Rice
Eggs
Animal fats for cooking
Sourdough bread when I make it
Pasta when I make it

I'm pretty mindful about pairing these all in the PM fashion carbs/protein.

This feels pretty devastating to be honest.

I had JUST got my body back from severe burnout, finally had good cortisol levels, was really staring to feel good with genuine energy returning.

Then BAM this hits me, and it really did just hit me. I'd never had these symptoms before.

Ideas? Experience?

What's your environment like? Do you live in a highly populated area? What's your cell phone, wifi and blue light exposure like? How much sun do you get? You live in Oregon so you have a pretty limited time of good sun exposure each year. Blue light and EMF alone can cause diabetes. Im all for eating carbs at the right time of the year, but if you are eating that diet year round and haven't mitigated EMF in your life the diabetes, cortisol and random blood sugar issues doesn't surprise me.

B

Blaze

Female, 36, 5'4, 132 lbs, very active farm life, 2500-3000 calories daily, carb heavy.

Came to PM eating from a pretty low/learned calorie intake, was about 98lbs when I began PM eating.

Never restricted carbs, fat, meat, just didn't eat enough consistent meals except dinner.

I'd say I'm only, from visual appearance of my body, 5-8 lbs overweight, but after a lifetime of basically being a walking bag of bones I figure it will take my body time to feel safe enough to let go of that.

Sups:

325mg Aspirin
Thorne Vit k
Vit E
Bee pollen
Occasionally MB

The last week or so I had been having kinda out of the blue overwhelming waves of emotion & just feeling suddenly off so I went & bought a glucose meter.

I thought it might have been from taking double aspirin that morning coupled with a somewhat smaller than normal breakfast.

Thinking I was hypoglycemic from it + maybe not enough protein alongside the fruit I had for breakfast the next day I had more starch/protein.

Before I even got hungry in the afternoon my blood sugar dangerously plummeted again.

So I started tracking morning levels/after meals/whenever I feel off for the last week.

This morning my fasting blood sugar is 120, yesterday it was 140... This indicates pre-diabetic or outright diabetes.

I will add that I go hypo rapidly & often no matter how much I'm eating then it skyrockets back up & my ears start ringing.

Fruits
Meats
Cheese
OJ
Potatoes
More cheese
Ample raw goats milk
Maple syrup
Honey
Rice
Eggs
Animal fats for cooking
Pasta when I make it

I had JUST got my body back from severe burnout, finally had good cortisol levels, was really staring to feel good with genuine energy returning.

Then BAM this hits me, and it really did just hit me. I'd never had these symptoms before.

Ideas? Experience?
Don't guess. Instead, Have your blood drawn to see what can be determined. I'd be curious to see your triglycerides fasting glucose and liver enzymes. Sounds perhaps like the start of metabolic syndrome. I'm not usually in favor of throwing supplements at a problem but that being said, in your case adding a choline supplement may do wonders to assist you and reverse some of that.

daveoutside

I have, it gives me bad reactions mainly agitating my GABA receptors (I was on benzos for a decade) which leads to painful burning on my ears. Honestly plain bee pollen has been the only thing supplement wise for b vits I've been able to tolerate. I believe it was the new mix that might be the problem.

I fast for 8-9 hours every 24 hours when I sleep.

But I'm pretty sure trying a fast when my blood sugar is dropping dangerously low isn't sounds advice haha.
Blood sugar normalizes after 36 hours of no food. Don't knock it... research it

L91

Sups:

325mg Aspirin
Thorne Vit k
Vit E
Bee pollen
Occasionally MB

Fruits
Meats
Cheese
OJ
Potatoes
More cheese
Ample raw goats milk
Maple syrup
Honey
Rice
Eggs
Animal fats for cooking
Pasta when I make it

Ideas? Experience?
Do you eat gelatin or glycine? Helps body store glycogen. Also do you take any b vitamins or magnesium? I find both those very helpful.

B

BRBsavinWorld

Blood sugar normalizes after 36 hours of no food. Don't knock it... research it
I tried all types of fasting for over a year… as did very many people. The short term improvements one gets from elevated cortisol and adrenaline is not worth the misery that becomes of that sort of solution.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Do you eat gelatin or glycine? Helps body store glycogen. Also do you take any b vitamins or magnesium? I find both those very helpful.
I do eat gelatin, bee pollen is loaded with b vits, & I take magnesium glycinate every evening.

This morning my level were a bit high for fasting (104) but haven't dropped dangerously low during the day, which was the initial issue that caught my attention.

I'm waiting for an a1c test kit to show up so I can see what's happened over the last 90 days, but I'm cautiously thinking it was the new blend of bee pollen I had tried which had additional propolis/royal jelly added. Both really lower/mess with glucose it seems.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Don't guess. Instead, Have your blood drawn to see what can be determined. I'd be curious to see your triglycerides fasting glucose and liver enzymes. Sounds perhaps like the start of metabolic syndrome. I'm not usually in favor of throwing supplements at a problem but that being said, in your case adding a choline supplement may do wonders to assist you and reverse some of that.
I was already in metabolic syndrome due to my severe burnout/malnutrition, that has been reversed as of 14 days ago via the last cortisol/hormone panel I had done.

I eat my own farm raised eggs daily typically 2-3 in a day so I'd be surprised if my choline needs aren't being met but I can always eat more.

I'll see what my liver is up to & I have an a1c test kit coming to see what's been happening for the last 90 days.

Today my morning levels were a touch high after waking however they normalized after eating & haven't bottomed out like they did over the last week. Feeling rather suspicious of the new bee pollen supplement I had been taking for a week but am going to explore the other possibilities for sure.

B

Blaze

I was already in metabolic syndrome due to my severe burnout/malnutrition, that has been reversed as of 14 days ago via the last cortisol/hormone panel I had done.

I eat my own farm raised eggs daily typically 2-3 in a day so I'd be surprised if my choline needs aren't being met but I can always eat more.

I'll see what my liver is up to & I have an a1c test kit coming to see what's been happening for the last 90 days.

Today my morning levels were a touch high after waking however they normalized after eating & haven't bottomed out like they did over the last week. Feeling rather suspicious of the new bee pollen supplement I had been taking for a week but am going to explore the other possibilities for sure.
Agreed, if you are eating 3 or 4 eggs a day , absolutely no need for choline. You are already getting enough. Wishing you well. Keep us informed on what you find out.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

What's your environment like?
I live in the blue mountain range of NE Oregon on 41+ acres & about 30mins away from a small town.

We also have an artisanal well and our water tested exceptionally clean as of 2 months ago.

Do you live in a highly populated area?
Nope.

What's your cell phone, wifi and blue light exposure like?
Wife goes off at night, I'm too busy to watch TV & put my phone down typically around 6-7 but also keep it on night mode so it's a yellow tinted screen. I know that's not completely removing the blue light but better than nothing.
How much sun do you get? You live in Oregon so you have a pretty limited time of good sun exposure each year.
Actually that's only true of western Oregon. I live in the high mountain desert, we have the same UV rating as Arizona July - September, I work outside for a living (self employed) & run my farm so am out in early morning light too.

Blue light and EMF alone can cause diabetes. Im all for eating carbs at the right time of the year, but if you are eating that diet year round and haven't mitigated EMF in your life the diabetes, cortisol and random blood sugar issues doesn't surprise me.
My cortisol is actually great right now & while I agree with EMF being an issue I highly doubt that's what caused the sudden blood sugar drops to be honest.

Vinny

KTownSatfats

Sups:

325mg Aspirin
Thorne Vit k
Vit E
Bee pollen
Occasionally MB

Fruits
Meats
Cheese
OJ
Potatoes
More cheese
Ample raw goats milk
Maple syrup
Honey
Rice
Eggs
Animal fats for cooking
Pasta when I make it

Ideas? Experience?
What’s PM eating?

KTownSatfats

Yeah maple syrup is loaded down with potassium, b vits, even decent magnesium amounts.
But how likely is it that one would consume a similar amount of maple syrup when compared to OJ consumption. I personally drink up to 30 ounces of OJ per day. Probably many do less, but I have a hard time imagining myself downing an 8 ounce glass of maple syrup, much as I do like it. This should be factored in to the calculations, IMO.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

But how likely is it that one would consume a similar amount of maple syrup when compared to OJ consumption. I personally drink up to 30 ounces of OJ per day. Probably many do less, but I have a hard time imagining myself downing an 8 ounce glass of maple syrup, much as I do like it. This should be factored in to the calculations, IMO.
Why are people hung up on this? I'm not over here chugging maple syrup...

I drink a stupid amount of OJ.

I also simply use maple syrup on/in things sometime.

Yeesh.

Nomane Euger

So I'm going to add in the fact that my blood sugar seems to plummet after I eat.

I'm at 105, was at 121 before breakfast.

Been 30 mins since breakfast.

Breakfast was pork steak/egg with small serving of rice & milk. (Usually it's fruit but trying to see what different carb sources do).

Feel like sh!t.

Reactive hypoglycemia?
hi,can you explicit what you mean by you feel like ***t,and what are your symptoms,excluding blood measurements?

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Just to keep the thread alive as I wait for the a1c test to arrive.

If it was the new pollen it's seemingly permanently damaged me... I don't think it was that or the effects would have worn off by now.

Each morning my fasting blood sugar is in the 110-115 range (pre-diabetic) & when I eat no matter the combo my blood sugar drops like a fu*king rock.

Ate an hour ago, blood sugar slammed down to 94, ears are ringing, feel totally unstable emotionally, breathing is all messed up.

Sooo hyperactive hypoglycemia? On top of pre-diabetic?

I know, I've gata wait for the a1c, find a doctor within 3 hours of me, & go from there.

But I'd just like to point out that I literally didn't have this problem prior to following pro-metabolic concepts & while in some ways I'm healthier it's crazy that when I was at my poorest levels of health (very underweight/living off of stress hormones) I didn't have blood sugar issues.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

hi,can you explicit what you mean by you feel like ***t,and what are your symptoms,excluding blood measurements?
Sure, cloudy thinking, losing words, breath becomes off (i.e. tongue/mouth feel kinda numb), emotions become erratic, all energy zapped from my body.

TheSir

Sure, cloudy thinking, losing words, breath becomes off (i.e. tongue/mouth feel kinda numb), emotions become erratic, all energy zapped from my body.
With a steak, egg and milk I'd get a huge crash in blood sugar unless I took a hefty load of carbs/sugar with it. Try to match protein and sugar at 1:1 ratio or even higher in favor of sugar.

But I'd just like to point out that I literally didn't have this problem prior to following pro-metabolic concepts & while in some ways I'm healthier it's crazy that when I was at my poorest levels of health (very underweight/living off of stress hormones) I didn't have blood sugar issues.
Same to be honest. A decade ago I used to eat protein and carbs and fat freely in whatever ratios. Now I will have to be careful with eating too much protein without enough sugar or I will have a panic attack or the other difficult symptoms you describe. We are pursuing glucose metabolism over fat metabolism, but it would be the best to have both working well.

Another problem with reactive hypoglycemia is that often the body is bad at making glycogen, i.e. storing glucose. So you end up having to depend on dietary glucose to keep you running.

Last edited:
OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

With a steak, egg and milk I'd get a huge crash in blood sugar unless I took a hefty load of carbs/sugar with it. Try to match protein and sugar at 1:1 ratio or even higher in favor of sugar.
What's crazy is my breakfast will look like steak/egg/milk & also fruit/honey. Still crashing.
Same to be honest. A decade ago I used to eat protein and carbs and fat freely in whatever ratios. Now I will have to be careful with eating too much protein without enough sugar or I will have a panic attack or the other difficult symptoms you describe. We are pursuing glucose metabolism over fat metabolism, but it would be the best to have both working well.

Another problem with reactive hypoglycemia is that often the body is bad at making glycogen, i.e. storing glucose. So you end up having to depend on dietary glucose to keep you running.
Yeah this is brutal, I also never restricted sugar before so it's not like I just wasn't capable of making glycogen/storing glucose.

I do have an instinct to eat way more protein though, I don't restrict it by any means but I'm not thinking about fruit anymore so much as I'm like damn we should have a bloody steak for dinner...

Idk, I agree that we should be able to use fat or sugar as fuel. I can tell you from living in a cold climate carbs/sugars for sure didn't keep me warm the same way animal fats did. I froze this winter even with much more weight on my body.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals