Extremely shaky, weak, foggy after physical exertion - how to fix?

CiggyTardust

Last year I went to the gym and a personal trainer convinced me to do a free 1 hour consultation. During this time he goaded me into extremely strenuous exercises... I should have known better but I did my best to keep up with the rope swings and explosive movements. About 30 minutes in, I felt like I was going to die. The point of this stupid routine is to go through different parameters and show a person how out of shape they are and how much they need a trainer. Manipulative and stupid! Of course I know I'm out of shape, that's why I got a gym membership...

I ended up extremely light-headed, dizzy, shaky and weak for the next hour. This eventually turned into pretty severe brain fog. When I felt the most weak, I chugged a bottle of gatorade (which I wouldn't normally do but I was desperate to feel better at the time and the gym sold them) and felt nominally better. The trainer said it was blood sugar. Ok. This was before I discovered Ray Peat's work and started upping my carbohydrate intake. Now I drink more OJ and Mexican coke and consume fruit throughout the day. My question is this: if this is from a lack of glycogen stores, how do I fix this? I did 40 pushups yesterday and felt weak/shaky for an hour afterwards even though I'd had a decent breakfast. Doesn't seem normal. Maybe I should add that I'm 5'11", around 170 lbs and did eat relatively low-carb for much of my twenties. Only recently have I started to consume more sugar and carbohydrates to try and keep my blood sugar stable throughout the day.

Any advice on replenishing my glycogen stores long-term apart from just eating more carbs more consistently throughout the day? Is it just a matter of eating more? I am looking to start weight training consistently and don't want to feel like I'm dying upon exertion. Thanks

redsun

Last year I went to the gym and a personal trainer convinced me to do a free 1 hour consultation. During this time he goaded me into extremely strenuous exercises... I should have known better but I did my best to keep up with the rope swings and explosive movements. About 30 minutes in, I felt like I was going to die. The point of this stupid routine is to go through different parameters and show a person how out of shape they are and how much they need a trainer. Manipulative and stupid! Of course I know I'm out of shape, that's why I got a gym membership...

I ended up extremely light-headed, dizzy, shaky and weak for the next hour. This eventually turned into pretty severe brain fog. When I felt the most weak, I chugged a bottle of gatorade (which I wouldn't normally do but I was desperate to feel better at the time and the gym sold them) and felt nominally better. The trainer said it was blood sugar. Ok. This was before I discovered Ray Peat's work and started upping my carbohydrate intake. Now I drink more OJ and Mexican coke and consume fruit throughout the day. My question is this: if this is from a lack of glycogen stores, how do I fix this? I did 40 pushups yesterday and felt weak/shaky for an hour afterwards even though I'd had a decent breakfast. Doesn't seem normal. Maybe I should add that I'm 5'11", around 170 lbs and did eat relatively low-carb for much of my twenties. Only recently have I started to consume more sugar and carbohydrates to try and keep my blood sugar stable throughout the day.

Any advice on replenishing my glycogen stores long-term apart from just eating more carbs more consistently throughout the day? Is it just a matter of eating more? I am looking to start weight training consistently and don't want to feel like I'm dying upon exertion. Thanks

Okay well I think its important to clarify: When you said you did 40 push-ups yesterday, do you mean like out of no where? Or do you follow an exercise routine. If you do not routinely do resistance exercise for your muscles and suddenly you do, its not uncommon to get these kind of responses.

OP
CiggyTardust

CiggyTardust

Okay well I think its important to clarify: When you said you did 40 push-ups yesterday, do you mean like out of no where? Or do you follow an exercise routine. If you do not routinely do resistance exercise for your muscles and suddenly you do, its not uncommon to get these kind of responses.
Lol yeah... out of nowhere. It was a moment of inspiration driven by caffeine :happy:

TheSir

In addition to sudden demand for blood sugar due to inactive muscles being woken up, this is quite normal if you start suddenly exercising your body hard after a long bout of inactivity. For example, your lymph system activates, all kinds of toxic gunk that was stuck in your body gets moving, resulting in a stress response. The response should disappear in one or two sessions.

redsun

Lol yeah... out of nowhere. It was a moment of inspiration driven by caffeine :happy:

Yeh so most everyone gets this kind of response when doing it for the first time suddenly out of no where but it doesnt stay like that with consistency.

OP
CiggyTardust

CiggyTardust

In addition to sudden demand for blood sugar due to inactive muscles being woken up, this is quite normal if you start suddenly exercising your body hard after a long bout of inactivity. For example, your lymph system activates, all kinds of toxic gunk that was stuck in your body gets moving, resulting in a stress response. The response should disappear in one or two sessions.
Yeh so most everyone gets this kind of response when doing it for the first time suddenly out of no where but it doesnt stay like that with consistency.

This makes sense. Just wanted to make sure this wasn't a glycogen issue rather than just me being out of shape. Will continue to exercise and see if it clears up. Appreciate the input!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals