Did I Diabetes Myself? HYEEEELP!

OP
explosionlord

explosionlord

Update 8/5:

I went to the doc, and he was pretty adamant based on my labs and other info from last year that my problem is either a) a messed-up gallbladder or, b) stomach ulcers/ AND THAT'S ALL IT COULD BE (so says he). He's gonna do an endoscopy, next week, and he of course suggested that the gallbladder gets taken out if it is determined that ulcers aren't present.

I'm confused about the whole thing, as my last year scans show no stones and a gallbladder that was working fine through labs, so if he's keen on going off year-old info, why does he not consider that? Do you guys think my gallbladder could be infected? I show no jaundice or anything. @whodathunkit, I got the bile and have been using it. It initially worked pretty well, but now it seems no matter what I eat, zero fat or not, I get the stomach pain, weird brain-fog, and a slight fever.

I just hate how fast-talking and sure the doc was about my issues after kind of glazing over my numbers. Nice enough guy, but left me with more questions than answers. Now I basically have to suffer a week while I wait for this endoscopy.

I'm gonna try something I saw in another thread about using apple cider vinegar and/or vitamin C. Charlie once mentioned Cascara Sagrada, which never seems to do anything for me but I do have it. Just took a 450 mg pill of it in hopes it will clear up my irritating problems of right this second (just ate about an hour ago). I guess I'll try them one-at-a-time in case any of them work and I don't get confused as to which one helped.

whodathunkit

@whodathunkit, I got the bile and have been using it. It initially worked pretty well, but now it seems no matter what I eat, zero fat or not, I get the stomach pain, weird brain-fog, and a slight fever.
Well, crap. I'm sorry you're not doing any better, and that all food is now a problem.

This sounds like an autonomic nervous system problem. The contractions in your entire GI tract and adjunct organs are out of sync. Have you tried choline? Acetylcholine (ACh) is a big player in gut motility and my problems seemed to get better when I started boosting it (along with the bile, and also moderating intake of fat). Choline and ALCAR are ACh precursors that I think have helped me. Beware that overdoing them can cause cognitive problems and inflammation, but they could be helpful as long as you don't overdo. What is too much depends on the person, though. If you want to try you could start by taking smaller doses and then increasing according to the effects it has on you.

For more info, google a phrase like "acetylcholine and gut motility", or similar. Lots of food for thought there.

Also, energy. KEEP YOUR ENERGY INTAKE UP. Consistently. Don't give in to the urge not to eat. I think for those of us who have overdone intermittent fasting or very low cal or nutrient poor diet for extended periods of time, there is some energy dysfunction there that manifests in the gut. Too much serotonin may also figure in. So may liver dysfunction.

I've never tried cascara but Peat likes it so it's probably worth a go.

If it was me I wouldn't let them take my gall bladder out without solid evidence like stones or sludge that there was a problem with my gallbladder. And even then I'd try to give a good go at dissolving the stones and sludge with something like UDCA or ACV before I'd let them cut me. YMMV. The internet and health forums are littered with anecdotes about people having their gall bladders pulled yet still experiencing the same old problems.

OP
explosionlord

explosionlord

Well, crap. I'm sorry you're not doing any better, and that all food is now a problem.

This sounds like an autonomic nervous system problem. The contractions in your entire GI tract and adjunct organs are out of sync. Have you tried choline? Acetylcholine (ACh) is a big player in gut motility and my problems seemed to get better when I started boosting it (along with the bile, and also moderating intake of fat). Choline and ALCAR are ACh precursors that I think have helped me. Beware that overdoing them can cause cognitive problems and inflammation, but they could be helpful as long as you don't overdo. What is too much depends on the person, though. If you want to try you could start by taking smaller doses and then increasing according to the effects it has on you.

For more info, google a phrase like "acetylcholine and gut motility", or similar. Lots of food for thought there.

Also, energy. KEEP YOUR ENERGY INTAKE UP. Consistently. Don't give in to the urge not to eat. I think for those of us who have overdone intermittent fasting or very low cal or nutrient poor diet for extended periods of time, there is some energy dysfunction there that manifests in the gut. Too much serotonin may also figure in. So may liver dysfunction.

If it was me I wouldn't let them take my gall bladder out without solid evidence like stones or sludge that there was a problem with my gallbladder. And even then I'd try to give a good go at dissolving the stones and sludge with something like UDCA or ACV before I'd let them cut me. YMMV. The internet and health forums are littered with anecdotes about people having their gall bladders pulled yet still experiencing the same old problems.

Yeah, I know. I'm definitely going for a second opinion if, after the endoscopy, he's adamant on taking it out.

As for choline, that is one instance where I'm doing against what you say and being afraid of foods; I used to eat two eggs a day to get choline (balancing it with OJ and often cooking in coconut oil for good measure), but I had a pretty severe attack two weeks ago with just one boiled egg. I didn't have the bile at the time, and the bile definitely seems to help fat breakdown, but I have to take the max dose. Still, as the cascara, ACV, and high-rise vitamin C were a wash, I'm keen to give the choline idea a go with an egg + bile test.

The thing not addressed by my doctor at all, which still has me wondering, is the weird ketogenic headaches I get. I really still feel I might have some pancreatic issue, what with the weird back pain, steatorrhea I've had of late, and fever. The doc dismissed it all, saying it could be related to gallbladder as well, but nothing I've been able to find/read confirms all of those symptoms, especially the brain fog and dizziness-type feeling, for gallbladder problems.

I don't even know if I have stones or stuck bile, as I didn't in the imaging last year, but I guess the endoscope will show for sure.

Thanks, again!

whodathunkit

I really still feel I might have some pancreatic issue, what with the weird back pain, steatorrhea I've had of late, and fever.
That could be. You definitely need to rule that out, as pancreatic problems are serious.

Let us know how it goes. I'm wishing you best of luck. :)

OP
explosionlord

explosionlord

Hey again, all. Reviving this thread again since it's been a while, doc visits, et cet and I've been getting worse with no good answers; I'm very desperate. I was somewhat disappointed in the lackluster response, here, as well, but I guess everybody thinks their health issues are emergencies so not everybody *cough* @haidut @charlie replies to every thread. Much appreciation to those who have replied, though, most notably @whodathunkit.

Anyway, I'll sum everything up so anybody else doesn't have to read all the mess, above:

Been having what I surmise are chronic pancreatitis symptoms; bad GI upset, especially with oily fats. Doctor suspected gallbladder because of elevated liver enzymes (ALT/AST/ALP) from tests done 1.5 years ago, that resolved the month after the tests. Did a HIDA scan (kicking and screaming, wanted to avoid radiation), results showed 96% gb function, so that's fine. Was having real issues, as I said, with fats; went to a low-fat diet as I did 1.5 yrs ago, took whodothunkit's advice and got bile, was taking in addition to pancreatin. Was doing okay, not having terrible issues when eating, but doc told me to stop with those supps and put me on pantoprazole. The year before, had been put on omeprazole and with a low-fat diet symptoms cleared. Not this time; doc did endoscopy, showed ulcers and high bile levels (besides taking the bile, I've always had high bile/bilirubin, especially delta, for some reason). Doc added sucralfate to the mix. Now having trouble with almost anything I eat, fats of course but also now carbs and protein. This whole time I've had the symptom of diminished consciousness after eating, and though some ulcer pain is gone because of meds, the consciousness has been my main issue; wondering if it's insulin problems. I've had back pain off and on, mostly if I dare to add back any fat, but now it's become a non-stop thing, in the mid-low left side.

So, that's that.

I've asked for the doc to approve an MRI, because they keep referencing data from a CT I got that 1.5 years ago in the E.R. after an acute attack that shows the pancreas, liver, and gb doing fine. I think that's stupid, as 1.5 years is quite a while. He says because amylase and lipase tests show normal (they're near the top of the ref range, so I'm wondering if the damage is done and the thing just isn't working) that it isn't pancreas. I've already got two deals on the table to get an MRI in Mexico if he won't approve.

My theory is this, and please tell me if it's foolish: Before my "relapse" of the symptoms of 1.5 years ago, I started trying to bulk up and increased my calorie intake. With this came a lot of fats (well, about 70-100 g daily), and I wanted the most bang for my buck, so the weapon of choice was ice cream (Haagen Daas/Three Twins). I was having a good amount almost every day, in addition to about 145g protein, a lot coming from icky chicken breast (I know, not Peat approved). I'm guessing this caused some kind of glucose intolerance, and my beta cells were perhaps damaged. I have just recently reintroduced niacinamide and aspirin to stop FFA damage and pregnenolone (with the hopes it'll synth to DHEA itself without having to supp DHEA), as well as starting on brewer's yeast for the first time to maybe make my pancreas do something, and at the very least stop this brain fog/diminished consciousness. 2 days in, and no dice; I eat, I get the consciousness problem. Add to this I've basically been constipated for 4 years, endotoxin issues (which I hope have curbed a bit since I've been on prescription laxative for two months (another non-Peat deal, Miralax) and have been regular) that come with, and I'm sure there could be a myriad of interconnected problems. Adding insult to injury, found out I have an inguinal hernia on both sides at my yearly physical. Don't know if that could contribute, but very surprising given I had two mesh hernia surgeries (one at 7, one at 16).

So yeah, I know that's a lot to DIGEST (pun intended), but any ideas anyone can offer or personal experiences would be great. This back pain thing is especially scaring me after I randomly read some thing about an actor, Andy Whitfield, who ended up dying from lymphoma after attempting to bulk up for a part and having back pains. Obviously, I probably don't have lymphoma, but my concern is with how casually the doctor is treating all of this when I am having a problem at every meal.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hey again, all. Reviving this thread again since it's been a while, doc visits, et cet and I've been getting worse with no good answers; I'm very desperate. I was somewhat disappointed in the lackluster response, here, as well, but I guess everybody thinks their health issues are emergencies so not everybody *cough* @haidut @charlie replies to every thread. Much appreciation to those who have replied, though, most notably @whodathunkit.

Anyway, I'll sum everything up so anybody else doesn't have to read all the mess, above:

Been having what I surmise are chronic pancreatitis symptoms; bad GI upset, especially with oily fats. Doctor suspected gallbladder because of elevated liver enzymes (ALT/AST/ALP) from tests done 1.5 years ago, that resolved the month after the tests. Did a HIDA scan (kicking and screaming, wanted to avoid radiation), results showed 96% gb function, so that's fine. Was having real issues, as I said, with fats; went to a low-fat diet as I did 1.5 yrs ago, took whodothunkit's advice and got bile, was taking in addition to pancreatin. Was doing okay, not having terrible issues when eating, but doc told me to stop with those supps and put me on pantoprazole. The year before, had been put on omeprazole and with a low-fat diet symptoms cleared. Not this time; doc did endoscopy, showed ulcers and high bile levels (besides taking the bile, I've always had high bile/bilirubin, especially delta, for some reason). Doc added sucralfate to the mix. Now having trouble with almost anything I eat, fats of course but also now carbs and protein. This whole time I've had the symptom of diminished consciousness after eating, and though some ulcer pain is gone because of meds, the consciousness has been my main issue; wondering if it's insulin problems. I've had back pain off and on, mostly if I dare to add back any fat, but now it's become a non-stop thing, in the mid-low left side.

So, that's that.

I've asked for the doc to approve an MRI, because they keep referencing data from a CT I got that 1.5 years ago in the E.R. after an acute attack that shows the pancreas, liver, and gb doing fine. I think that's stupid, as 1.5 years is quite a while. He says because amylase and lipase tests show normal (they're near the top of the ref range, so I'm wondering if the damage is done and the thing just isn't working) that it isn't pancreas. I've already got two deals on the table to get an MRI in Mexico if he won't approve.

My theory is this, and please tell me if it's foolish: Before my "relapse" of the symptoms of 1.5 years ago, I started trying to bulk up and increased my calorie intake. With this came a lot of fats (well, about 70-100 g daily), and I wanted the most bang for my buck, so the weapon of choice was ice cream (Haagen Daas/Three Twins). I was having a good amount almost every day, in addition to about 145g protein, a lot coming from icky chicken breast (I know, not Peat approved). I'm guessing this caused some kind of glucose intolerance, and my beta cells were perhaps damaged. I have just recently reintroduced niacinamide and aspirin to stop FFA damage and pregnenolone (with the hopes it'll synth to DHEA itself without having to supp DHEA), as well as starting on brewer's yeast for the first time to maybe make my pancreas do something, and at the very least stop this brain fog/diminished consciousness. 2 days in, and no dice; I eat, I get the consciousness problem. Add to this I've basically been constipated for 4 years, endotoxin issues (which I hope have curbed a bit since I've been on prescription laxative for two months (another non-Peat deal, Miralax) and have been regular) that come with, and I'm sure there could be a myriad of interconnected problems. Adding insult to injury, found out I have an inguinal hernia on both sides at my yearly physical. Don't know if that could contribute, but very surprising given I had two mesh hernia surgeries (one at 7, one at 16).

So yeah, I know that's a lot to DIGEST (pun intended), but any ideas anyone can offer or personal experiences would be great. This back pain thing is especially scaring me after I randomly read some thing about an actor, Andy Whitfield, who ended up dying from lymphoma after attempting to bulk up for a part and having back pains. Obviously, I probably don't have lymphoma, but my concern is with how casually the doctor is treating all of this when I am having a problem at every meal.

Have you done any blood tests for inflammation? Serum iron, ferritin, transferrin, iron saturation index, copper ceruloplasmin, LDH, ESR, CRP? What about a test for stomach acidity or even basic chloride test as part of a metabolic panel, including CO2 (bicarbonate)? I would push the doctor to explain why he put you on a PPI without confirming first you actually have high acid levels as opposed to LOW as the low acid is much more common due to the widespread hypothyroidism in the population.
Pancreatitis symptoms include elevated amylase and lipase (not low) so if yours are close to the upper limit then you may want to follow up on that.

OP
explosionlord

explosionlord

Yes, "inflammation" with little context outside of the ulcers seems to be one of his and his PA's favorite words. I have done some of those tests; here is the info from the ones I have that you mentioned:

Transferrin: "low" at 196 mg/dL
Chloride: 104 mmol/L (near top of their ref range)
CO2: 26 mmol/L (also near top)

As far as tests outside the range (if it helps), I had a tad bit low on RBC and a tad bit over range in B12 and direct bilirubin. Most other CMP stuff came back mid-range.

I did mention the low acid hypothesis to him a while back, but he clamored about pantoprazole since omeprazole ostensibly solved my problems, last time. I myself am under the impression that it's bile in excess, not acid, which is causing ulcers, et cetera; I don't get heartburn, just ulcers. I've also mentioned my lack of appetite, but eh.

Thanks for looking into it, by the way!

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yes, "inflammation" with little context outside of the ulcers seems to be one of his and his PA's favorite words. I have done some of those tests; here is the info from the ones I have that you mentioned:

Transferrin: "low" at 196 mg/dL
Chloride: 104 mmol/L (near top of their ref range)
CO2: 26 mmol/L (also near top)

As far as tests outside the range (if it helps), I had a tad bit low on RBC and a tad bit over range in B12 and direct bilirubin. Most other CMP stuff came back mid-range.

I did mention the low acid hypothesis to him a while back, but he clamored about pantoprazole since omeprazole ostensibly solved my problems, last time. I myself am under the impression that it's bile in excess, not acid, which is causing ulcers, et cetera; I don't get heartburn, just ulcers. I've also mentioned my lack of appetite, but eh.

Thanks for looking into it, by the way!

If transferrin is low, this suggests iron overload. I would follow up with ferritin, serum iron and iron saturation index. Surprised actually the doctor has not done it given the transferrin value. Iron dysregulation can cause so many issues. If iron is indeed confirmed high, it would explain the issues with pancreas, liver and gallbladder as all of them can suffer under high iron conditions. And if you do test iron, add copper, ceruloplasmin, LDH, ESR and CRP as this gives a much better picture for what the issue with the metals/inflammation is. Low RBC may be indicative of high ESR, but I would do the test just to be sure.

Last edited:

tara

I don't have any relevant expertise, so just a couple of thoughts in addition to the more knowledgable ones above.

Couldn't the known ulcers be enough to explain at least part of the symptoms - including gut pain - without speculating about a whole lot of other possible malfunctions?

Can't remember if you've experimented with aged cascara sagrada instead of the prescription laxative? May help reduce gut inflammation as well as aid the flow.

Lots of things can contribute to back pain - not least an injury or misalignment in the spine itself - have you had this assessed by a relevant expert recently?

There have been some issues with surgical mesh - I don't know if it is particular kinds of mesh, or is an inherent problem with all of them. But there have been a number of people who have had ongoing pain issues arising from the body's interaction with the mesh.

OP
explosionlord

explosionlord

If transferrin is low, this suggests iron overload. I would follow up with ferritin, serum iron and iron saturation index. Surprised actually the doctor has not done it given the transferrin value. Iron dysregulation can cause so many issues. If iron is indeed confirmed high, it would explain the issues with pancreas, liver and gallbladder as all of them can suffer under high iron conditions. And if you do test iron, add copper, ceruloplasmin, LDH, ESR and CRP as this gives a much better picture for what the issue with the metals/inflammation is. Low RBC may be indicative of high ESR, but I would do the test just to be sure.

I'll get the tests done at Theranos today, with the exception of the two copper ones (They don't have them, but I will say I have coffee every morning pressed with water boiled in a full-copper pot, as well as drinking some seltzer water from full-copper mugs).

@tara : I have read and been told the idea about the ulcers, and believe me I want to think it is just them; worrying about a bum pancreatitis isn't my bag, but especially since the sucralfate seems to have calmed the ulcers (maybe not completely healed them) and I have this annoying brain fog with most anything I eat, I'm inclined to believe in some problem with pancreatic enzymes. Still, could be ulcers...maybe.

As for cascara, funny you mentioned that because that is something that brought me to Peat initially, years ago; I started having bad constipation, and was looking for answers. I tried a few brands, never did get the Italian kind people talk about on here, with varying results. It usually was either nothing would happen or I would get a tiny bit of weird grainy diarrhea (Sorry if TMI). I absolutely hate taking Miralax, but daily carrots alone, shredded salad w/ coconut oil, and cascara just didn't want to work; wondering now if this newfound hernia had something to do with their ineffectiveness.

I have done nothing with my spine, but was diagnosed with something called Scheuermann's Kyphosis about the same time as when I got that second hernia surgery (all this to play baseball, wish life was so simple now!) My back rarely has bothered me, though, outside of incorrect posture when deadlifting or stuff like that- and especially not in the area it hurts now.

Also, I have actually wondered about the mesh. Of course, docs told my mom both times that the plastic was GRAS, but whatever. I haven't been able to comfortably sleep on my left side for years, and recently began wondering if it was that damn mesh.

tara

I have this annoying brain fog with most anything I eat, I'm inclined to believe in some problem with pancreatic enzymes. Still, could be ulcers...maybe.
I think lots of things can contribute to brain fog too. Messed up digestion, allergies, ...
Mine seems to get worst with excess dairy.
I'm certainly not qualified to rule out pancreatic issues. But it still seems possible that finding a way to allow the gut to heal more fully may still be key.

Some people get gut trouble from coffee - I know someone who gave it up for this reason.

tara

I have done nothing with my spine, but was diagnosed with something called Scheuermann's Kyphosis about the same time as when I got that second hernia surgery (all this to play baseball, wish life was so simple now!) My back rarely has bothered me, though, outside of incorrect posture when deadlifting or stuff like that- and especially not in the area it hurts now.
I just looked it up, and that Scheuermann's Kyphosis seems to have a reputation for causing back pain, but perhaps it was transient and is resolved now? Misalignment in any area of the spine can sometimes throw other parts of the spine out of good alignment. I think low energy for whatever reason can sometimes make it harder to maintain good posture too.

Also, I have actually wondered about the mesh. Of course, docs told my mom both times that the plastic was GRAS, but whatever. I haven't been able to comfortably sleep on my left side for years, and recently began wondering if it was that damn mesh.
I hope it's not that, because it seems difficult to resolve.

WestCoaster

I'll toss my 2 cents in here, and I do apologize in advance if you've mentioned something earlier in the thread I havn't read, I'm running out the door here fairly quick. Stress (Cortisol), plays a very large part in internal inflammation, anywhere from environmental stress, lack of sleep stress, poor food choices stress, to simply self-inflicted stress of exercising too much. General foods that cause inflammation (and we have to get away from the Peat way of thinking here), are grains, dairy, sugar, and nightshade vegetables. Grains are self explanatory, sugars mean everything under the sun (including fruit, though some can get away from berries), dairy (all forms of dairy; milk, ice cream, yogurt, cheese etc.., eggs are ok), and nightshades which are things like potatoes, eggplant, tomatoes, and peppers.

Now normally from all the N=1 experiments that I've read over the past 6 years have had all these issues cleared up by eliminating either a combo of the above list or eliminating the above list entirely. But in doing this it does not mean going low carb, it means finding a carb level that works for your activity. In the interim though, you may find benefit in going basically 0 carb for a few days. Farmers carbs (aka vegetables) are negated in this, but think of the bulk of the calories coming from meats, fish, eggs, and green vegetables, and water.

Cortisol is tied to IBS, both constipation and the runs. You can literally feel it (once you can tell the signs), how easy it is to have a bowel movement once the stress is minimized, and how difficult it is when stress is elevated. Too many oily fats are known to cause stomach pains and the runs in people. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I've heard people complain of them eating too much coconut or MCT oil. It doesn't mean they're bad, it just means you have to start very slow. The bulk of your fats should be coming from solid foods.

You've mentioned (ALT/AST/ALP). These elevate as far as I know with any type of exercise. Basically if you know your getting a test for these, do not exercise up to 2-3 days before hand. It will cause the levels to skyrocket causing the untrained doctor who doesn't ask the right questions to get alarmed.

You might be better suited to visit a Naturopath. They can do wonders with things especially with gut problems and ulcers. Often it can be simply tied to a specific food which upon elimination, symptoms can clear in 1-2 months. Also bone broth if you don't already take it, works wonders for the gut as well.

If I were you, I would probably start to consider fasting to give your stomach a break and start systematically eliminating the above known culprits to see if one stands out as bad. This includes incorporating fasting into your daily life, start with skipping breakfast.. if that doesn't work, add it back in and skip lunch or dinner instead. As for ice cream, copious amounts of ice cream IMO won't do anyone's gut favors. You have to think even the fittest of the fit people out there who basically eat anything they want do not have ice cream as a staple in their diet. I'd look into visiting a naturopath and taking your blood work/tests to them and tell them your symptoms. They try to treat the root of the problem, not the aftermath of it. If you are not already consuming it, I'd start taking in some bone broth daily. Forget about quick go to things like great lakes Gelatin, it simply isn't the same. If you are not happy with your doctor, I'd definitely take your tests elsewhere and go look into a naturopath :)

OP
explosionlord

explosionlord

Wow! Thanks for the replies, guys!

@tara: I gave up coffee for a bit after my first episode 1.5 years ago; I think my ulcers were being caused then partially by OJ and I wanted to avoid any even slightly-acidic things; I have long since reintro'd coffee with no gut nagging, but I just can't handle OJ. My idea with pancreas has a lot to do with the fact that it seems to be solid and specifically macronutrient-dense foods that cause a problem, even in smaller amounts.

@WestCoaster: That brings me to the idea of fasting. I mentioned earlier in the thread that both of these episodes kind of came after intermittent fasting for a bit, specifically of the Leangains variety. That does come with 8 hr periods of "hardcore eating," though, so doubtfully has anything to do with your meaning. Two weeks ago, I tried to go a full week with just liquids to see if I could lessen the load on my pancreas- juiced wheatgrass for choline and generally tried to keep it mild with stuff like apple juice, the water from cooked greens for minerals, et cetera. I just couldn't make it a full week, though; all I could think about was going to sleep. I got a headache mid day 3, and thought I should stick it out, but the next day the headache was worse and I had a lot of work to catch up on so I threw in the towel. Could have been anything, from just not having "got over the hump" to achieve faster's high to having too many carbs like you suggest, but given my bad history with fasting, I will admit I'm scared to go forward with straight-up fasting. I could easily do it, though, as I haven't had an appetite for a long time, which is also scary. I have been doing the elimination thing over the last month and a half, albeit somewhat half-assedly and mostly with macronutrients. I did glean from that that I tend to handle solid fats e.g. cheese better than oils and gelatin better when it is incorporated into a "solid something" like eggs as opposed to being part of a liquid like broth.

@PeatThemAll Thanks for taking the time to post. I am kind of leery of that fellow in the video, though. I have, sadly, low cholesterol numbers. While I know this is not indicative of having no atherosclerotic problems, I'm sure I must have some, I also have ridiculously low blood pressure and heart rate. I take vitamin E at least once weekly, and COQ10 (though I just ran out, about a week ago), so I would hope that would contribute to keeping plaque clouds out of my arteries. The back pains are a fairly recent development, and coincide with eating, which I take to be more of an enzyme production problem since it's so immediate. Could be wrong, probably am, but I'd be very happy to get my cholesterol UP.

Regina

Wow! Thanks for the replies, guys!

@tara: I gave up coffee for a bit after my first episode 1.5 years ago; I think my ulcers were being caused then partially by OJ and I wanted to avoid any even slightly-acidic things; I have long since reintro'd coffee with no gut nagging, but I just can't handle OJ. My idea with pancreas has a lot to do with the fact that it seems to be solid and specifically macronutrient-dense foods that cause a problem, even in smaller amounts.

@WestCoaster: That brings me to the idea of fasting. I mentioned earlier in the thread that both of these episodes kind of came after intermittent fasting for a bit, specifically of the Leangains variety. That does come with 8 hr periods of "hardcore eating," though, so doubtfully has anything to do with your meaning. Two weeks ago, I tried to go a full week with just liquids to see if I could lessen the load on my pancreas- juiced wheatgrass for choline and generally tried to keep it mild with stuff like apple juice, the water from cooked greens for minerals, et cetera. I just couldn't make it a full week, though; all I could think about was going to sleep. I got a headache mid day 3, and thought I should stick it out, but the next day the headache was worse and I had a lot of work to catch up on so I threw in the towel. Could have been anything, from just not having "got over the hump" to achieve faster's high to having too many carbs like you suggest, but given my bad history with fasting, I will admit I'm scared to go forward with straight-up fasting. I could easily do it, though, as I haven't had an appetite for a long time, which is also scary. I have been doing the elimination thing over the last month and a half, albeit somewhat half-assedly and mostly with macronutrients. I did glean from that that I tend to handle solid fats e.g. cheese better than oils and gelatin better when it is incorporated into a "solid something" like eggs as opposed to being part of a liquid like broth.

@PeatThemAll Thanks for taking the time to post. I am kind of leery of that fellow in the video, though. I have, sadly, low cholesterol numbers. While I know this is not indicative of having no atherosclerotic problems, I'm sure I must have some, I also have ridiculously low blood pressure and heart rate. I take vitamin E at least once weekly, and COQ10 (though I just ran out, about a week ago), so I would hope that would contribute to keeping plaque clouds out of my arteries. The back pains are a fairly recent development, and coincide with eating, which I take to be more of an enzyme production problem since it's so immediate. Could be wrong, probably am, but I'd be very happy to get my cholesterol UP.
I don't know if Peatarians, at this point, would want to do a comprehensive stool test to identify pathogen(s) that may be causing the ulcerations? Maybe this one?
Clinician Services | Genova Diagnositcs
and add on: H Pylori
????

OP
explosionlord

explosionlord

I don't know if Peatarians, at this point, would want to do a comprehensive stool test to identify pathogen(s) that may be causing the ulcerations? Maybe this one?
Clinician Services | Genova Diagnositcs
and add on: H Pylori
????

Hmm, those tests are pretty interesting to me, given my woes the last few years. I wish I could see the price without logging in, as I have to leave right now. My labs for h. pylori were negative and the doctor also said I didn't have it based on endoscopy, though not sure how he could tell.

@haidut: got labs back, and both iron was low at 46 ug/dL, with iron saturation also low at 18%. Ferritin was in the ref range, 95 ng/mL. Iron binding was at the low end of the ref range, 257 ug/dL. All the rest of the inflammatory markers were in ref range. I don't know what to make of the low iron; I thought I was getting way too much from what I've plugged into cronometer that last few months. Am I anemic or something?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hmm, those tests are pretty interesting to me, given my woes the last few years. I wish I could see the price without logging in, as I have to leave right now. My labs for h. pylori were negative and the doctor also said I didn't have it based on endoscopy, though not sure how he could tell.

@haidut: got labs back, and both iron was low at 46 ug/dL, with iron saturation also low at 18%. Ferritin was in the ref range, 95 ng/mL. Iron binding was at the low end of the ref range, 257 ug/dL. All the rest of the inflammatory markers were in ref range. I don't know what to make of the low iron; I thought I was getting way too much from what I've plugged into cronometer that last few months. Am I anemic or something?

So, there are two paths usually. If transferrin is low and ferritin high (especially with high iron saturation index) then this means iron overload in tissues. With ferritin low-normal, iron saturation index low and serum iron also low then it suggests iron deficiency anemia. The part that bothers me a bit is that in iron deficiency anemia these would be low BUT transferrin would be high. In your case transferrin is also low, which suggests reduced ability to carry iron to tissues. The iron carrying proteins like ferritin and transferrin are produced by the liver, so when they are low it may be due to liver dysfunction. I would ask the doctor what he thinks about that. In situations like that giving more iron may be dangerous as with low transferrin the iron won't be carried to the tissues and will just float around causing all sorts of problems including (more) liver and brain damage. I would definitely follow up with the doctor on these things. If iron issue are not straightened out metabolism will not be optimal. Have you ever had blood/urine tests for cortisol?

OP
explosionlord

explosionlord

So, there are two paths usually. If transferrin is low and ferritin high (especially with high iron saturation index) then this means iron overload in tissues. With ferritin low-normal, iron saturation index low and serum iron also low then it suggests iron deficiency anemia. The part that bothers me a bit is that in iron deficiency anemia these would be low BUT transferrin would be high. In your case transferrin is also low, which suggests reduced ability to carry iron to tissues. The iron carrying proteins like ferritin and transferrin are produced by the liver, so when they are low it may be due to liver dysfunction. I would ask the doctor what he thinks about that. In situations like that giving more iron may be dangerous as with low transferrin the iron won't be carried to the tissues and will just float around causing all sorts of problems including (more) liver and brain damage. I would definitely follow up with the doctor on these things. If iron issue are not straightened out metabolism will not be optimal. Have you ever had blood/urine tests for cortisol?

Thank you for your diagnosis; the iron deal has cleared up a few things, though as my doctor just called me yesterday and told me he was referring me back to the GP, so he apparently wasn't too worried (ahem: knowledgeable) about the transferrin. I'll find another GI doc, I guess.

Funny; I was thinking yesterday of adding the cortisol test, but I didn't. I haven't had any such test, yet, but I will.

Really, thank you again.