Where To Get Gelatin?

domox

I see allot about the health benefits of Gelatin.. Even Ray Peat has mentioned this.
Where does one buy gelatin? Is it the same as the powder used to make Jelly or do I have to peal
it off meat bones myself?

Or, is it a supplement?

Thanks

sele

I see allot about the health benefits of Gelatin.. Even Ray Peat has mentioned this.
Where does one buy gelatin? Is it the same as the powder used to make Jelly or do I have to peal
it off meat bones myself?

Or, is it a supplement?

Thanks
You can use any unflavored gelatin powder like Knox, Great lakes, etc.
I make my own from beef bones.

smith

Gelatin from wine suppliers is now more expensive than Knox, apparently. Perhaps they caught on?

PATB

Bumping this thread because I am trying to stock up instead of buying the tiny packets at the store, it costs more.

(I am not factoring shipping into all of these prices, just collecting links, I will do that later and pick the cheapest)

NOW Foods Beef Gelatin Powder Bulk, 5 Pound
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017WFX1Q/
OUT OF STOCK

----

Now Foods Beef Gelatin 4 lb
https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Now-Beef-Gelatin/dp/B00EEEJZWC
$45.99

Also on: Now Beef Gelatin Powder on sale at AllStarHealth.com
$36.99

And eBay: Now Foods Natural BEEF GELATIN Powder Unflavored 4 lbs PROTEIN THICKENING AGENT 733739065094 | eBay
$44.13 but you get a bulk discount if you buy multiple

----

I have used these NOW Foods beef gelatin and they work. I use them for OJ gelatin and add them to pineapple juice (which it dissolves in because of the bromelain, but pineapple is my favorite fruit)

I have not tried:

Unflavored Gelatin (Beef), 5lb
Unflavored Gelatin (Beef) - Pick a Size! - Free Expedited Shipping | eBay
$59.93 (says free shipping)

I am trying to save money, but buy something that will not expire for very long. I will have to look at the expiration dates. I am thinking of buying a 4lb Now Foods order and 1lb of the ebay one (which is $20.95, free shipping) just to see how they compare.

I once purchased the wrong type of Great Leaks gelatin and it just clumped together too much.

I don't remember if this was the one that was the color that was too clumpy, but this one seems to be 4lbs (2 sets of 2lb) for cheap:
Great Lakes Unflavored Beef Gelatin 2pack. 2lb Kosher
Great Lakes Unflavored Beef Gelatin 2pack. 2lb Kosher 322654002118 | eBay
$39.98

If there is a better deal for something that is 4-5 lbs (in the USA), let me know. And is there anything particular that has to be done to prevent it from expiring? If it will last me years I will buy all 3 and see which one I like the best.

PATB

So, apparently unopened, unflavored gelatin powder lasts indefinitely, according to: How Long Does Jello Last? Shelf Life, Storage, Expiration

And there are meat shortages beginning, at least in Maryland (I live in FL and there are lots of cows here): Maryland Food Bank Spends $3.6M In One Month As COVID-19 Pandemic Continues
Google "COVID beef|meat shortage" and see the latest news.

So I set up orders for the 3 sites and here's what I found if anyone is interested in saving a few dollars stocking up on gelatin powder

Allstar Health 4lbs now gelatin, buying 1:

Subtotal: $36.99
Shipping: $5.95 (minimum, other options available)
Total: $42.94

Raise to 3 orders:

Subtotal: $110.97
Shipping: $0.00 (free shipping requires certain quantity spent, which 2 didn't reach but 3 exceeded)
Total: $110.97
(no tax)

The eBay listing "Now Foods Natural BEEF GELATIN Powder Unflavored 4 lbs PROTEIN THICKENING AGENT" has free shipping also, but is $44.13

Raise the quantity to 3 and the total is $132.39

Amazon has a free shipping option (even without prime)
Order of 1:
Items: $45.99
Shipping & handling: $8.88
Free Shipping: -$8.88
Total before tax: $45.99
Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00
Order total: $45.99

Order of 3:
Items (3): $137.97
Shipping & handling: $12.67
Free Shipping: -$12.67
Total before tax: $137.97
Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00
Order total: $137.97

Since it was cheapest, I went with AllStar Health and ordered 3 of the 4lb gelatin powders from Now foods.

I received an email stating:
Thank you for your purchase at AllStarHealth.com. Below is your receipt and a link to track your order.

COVID-19 UPDATE: Please note that due to the current COVID-19 pandemic we are experiencing unprecedented supply issues from our manufacturers. We kindly ask for your patience while we work to get stock levels back to normal. Please understand that high demand items may be limited in quantity. We will inform you at the time of shipping if anything on your order will be shipped at a later date. We appreciate your patience through this troubling time and assure you we are working around the clock to try to maintain our award winning service that you are accustomed to.

Order tracking available at:
(link)

Notably, I also ordered from http://preparewithvincent.com
The 4-Week Emergency Food Supply

March 18th. Still not here.
Emailed 4 days ago, no response. Just sent another. We'll see.

I also decided to try the eBay "Unflavored Gelatin (Beef) - Pick a Size! - Free Expedited Shipping"

I picked 1lb for $20.95, free shipping.
5lb is: $59.93
10 lb case is: $108.24

But I have no idea how this stuff is, unlike NOW Foods I never used it. If it's very good I'll just get a 10lb order probably. 10lb is $108.24 but 12lbs of NOW is $110.97 on AllStar

Now foods nutition label:
71PFnolOI2L._SL1000_.jpg

This ebay guy's nutrition label:
s-l1600.jpg

Unfortunately the serving size on the label varies by a factor of 10, but whatever.

I will update if anyone is interested.

Time to start stocking up on bulk beef packages at the supermarket I guess.

Nebula

I like the results I’m getting with making gelatin from pig and chicken feet. I simmer 2 pounds all day and fill up 3-4 quart jars worth. Then drink about one cup with a meal. Probably more expensive than the bulk powders but it digests better and gets more potent effects for me. Deep sleep, better digestion, anti-depressant effects. I don’t get the same results with gelatin powder.

PATB

Well, that is bone broth, gelatin is just one aspect of that. I use gelatin powder with OJ concentrate and pineapple juice to make OJ gelatin and a protein-rich pineapple drink (the Bromelain prevents the pineapple juice from becoming gelatinous). I am just trying to stock up on non-perishables at the moment. I do have some frozen oxtails I could be making stew with, but I have been busy lately with employment (the biggest impediment to good health IMO)

BingDing

I make OJ gelatin too, never could figure out why it didn't work with pineapple juice. Good insight about the bromelain.

Great Lakes sells an 8 pound bag of collagen hydrolysate (green) for $137. That is the version that dissolves in liquid easily but does not jell. Gelatin (red) is the version that clumps up easily and jells.

I've been experimenting with gelatin and collagen hydrolysate as both have zero tryptophan. Tryptophan is the sole precursor to serotonin, I've had some marked improvements in mood, mild depression and anxiety by reducing brain serotonin.

An n=1 report, I know, but so be it.

BD

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals