What’s the difference between gelatin , collagen and dessicated organ supplements ?

sarahc

Forum Supporter
Hi everyone ! New forum member , so I apologize in advance for all the questions 😬

I’ve heard of Georgi using gelatin in his diet and was looking into incorporating it as well in mine. But then I found collagen powder that is flavoured (so I can replace my whey protein powder with it in my smoothies) and am curious if it’s equivalent or if there are bad effects to choosing collagen over gelatin.

And then to add more to my confusion, I found out about Paul Saladino’s organ supplements and want to try them out but I’m just not sure if the organ supplements provide the same nutrients as gelatine or collagen. I don’t want to spend excessive money on products that would offer the same benefits on my health as would gelatin.

Finally, do I need to take any of those products (gelatin, collagen or dessicated organ supplements) if I’m already taking idealabs energin estroban calcirol and oxidal ? I don’t want to overdo it by taking too many different products and supplements.

Thank you in advance !! Sarah

If you want to save money and get all the benefits (and likely more) than focus on getting all the gelatin, nutrients from the organs from real foods. Fresh organs are dirt cheap and you can get tons of gelatin from fatty cuts of meat. Ground beef is a great one that is cheaper and tastes amazing.

liam183

Gelatin and collagen are the same amino acids, just processed differently. This makes gelatin into its signature jello state, whereas collagen will mix like any other protein powder. No nutritional difference.
Organ supplements won't contain substantial amounts of collagen.
As @canadianboymike said, all of the above can be found cheap in food. Look for local farmers. Organs are usually $5-9/lb depending on which kind. Bone broth can be made at home with animal bones and is super gelatinous. There are also more gelatinous cuts of meat, typically tougher cuts ie shank, flat steaks, neck, and tail. Hope this helps

wzuo

gelatin is the more affordable than collagen, so it mostly depends on your budget
I found collagen is easier to dissolve for example in coffee but given the price is few times higher than plain gelatin and you have to consume a lot of it to meet protein needs I'm now using gelatin

Peatress

These articles will give you the context for using gelatin

This thread is good for quotes and discussions about collagen

OP
S

sarahc

Forum Supporter
If you want to save money and get all the benefits (and likely more) than focus on getting all the gelatin, nutrients from the organs from real foods. Fresh organs are dirt cheap and you can get tons of gelatin from fatty cuts of meat. Ground beef is a great one that is cheaper and tastes amazing.
Thanks for the feedback ! So if I get ground beef mixed with organ (I found a local farmer that sells 90% ground beef mixed with 10% organs) then I won’t need to take gelatin as well ? I’d like to keep my diet simple so if I can get everything I need from one source then I’m sold !

OP
S

sarahc

Forum Supporter
Gelatin and collagen are the same amino acids, just processed differently. This makes gelatin into its signature jello state, whereas collagen will mix like any other protein powder. No nutritional difference.
Organ supplements won't contain substantial amounts of collagen.
As @canadianboymike said, all of the above can be found cheap in food. Look for local farmers. Organs are usually $5-9/lb depending on which kind. Bone broth can be made at home with animal bones and is super gelatinous. There are also more gelatinous cuts of meat, typically tougher cuts ie shank, flat steaks, neck, and tail. Hope this helps
Thank you 😊 super helpful, I started looking into local farmers since posting the thread and found one that sells ground beef mixed with organs. So I’ll give that a try and see how it goes !

OP
S

sarahc

Forum Supporter
These articles will give you the context for using gelatin

This thread is good for quotes and discussions about collagen

Thanks so much , I will read those for sure !

OP
S

sarahc

Forum Supporter
gelatin is the more affordable than collagen, so it mostly depends on your budget
I found collagen is easier to dissolve for example in coffee but given the price is few times higher than plain gelatin and you have to consume a lot of it to meet protein needs I'm now using gelatin
This is helpful, thanks for the feedback ! I ordered gelatine so will start with that and see how I handle it.

liam183

Thank you 😊 super helpful, I started looking into local farmers since posting the thread and found one that sells ground beef mixed with organs. So I’ll give that a try and see how it goes !
That sounds good. I like to add a little bit of gelatin to my ground beef.

Lilac

In this thread, you'll find the recipe for Georgi's special gelatin-containing burger. I make this (when I remember) and never get that full, lead-ball-in-the-stomach feeling after eating. I take this to mean it is very digestible.

OP
S

sarahc

Forum Supporter
In this thread, you'll find the recipe for Georgi's special gelatin-containing burger. I make this (when I remember) and never get that full, lead-ball-in-the-stomach feeling after eating. I take this to mean it is very digestible.

Amazing, thanks for sharing :) will try it out !

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals