Nutrients/supplements To Add To Whole Food Diet

Kingpinguin

Hi people.

Curious about your opinion of supplements/nutrients that you feel is essential even though you’re eating a perfect diet. I’d like to avoid some minerals and vitamins since I personally don’t like to supplement them except magnesium, K2 and Vit E from time to time. I’m more looking for things like herbs, amino acids and other proteins that you feel should be supplemented with.

A few I’ve already come up with are the following

taurine
Choline
Collagen

like to add i also use beef protein isolate. Its like whey but made from beef. Has been sort of demonized in the body builder community since they make this powder from the scraps after meat production and they complain its mostly collagen and beef tissue. It does have high proline, glycine etc so in my opinion it seems like the best protein powder for a peater and its much cheaper than collagen.

I’m looking for some new stuff to add to see if theres any room for improvement would appreciate your help if you have anything in mind and also if you give a reason as to why you think this nutrient is so important.

ps thinking of trying acerola powder as a natural vitamin C supplement. I get headaches from normal vitamin C supplements but never from food sources. And all whole food vit Cs i tried give me headaches since they just seem to add ascorbic acid to some fruit powder and call that natural.
Would apprerciate feedback if anyone tried it

thanks in advance

tara

Curious about your opinion of supplements/nutrients that you feel is essential even though you’re eating a perfect diet.
If eating a perfect diet and in reasonable health and balance to begin with, I don't know that any supps are necessary.
Everyone has a different idea of what a perfect diet is. My idea is that a perfect diet is one that meets your needs well. Sometimes that can be hard to access.

If you are tackling particular health challenges, or have prior deficiencies or imbalances, then maybe there are specific supps that could be helpful.

For me, I supplement some things for specific reasons. Eg calcium because I don't get it from dairy, magnesium and zinc because they each help keep specific symptoms at bay.

Kingpinguin

If eating a perfect diet and in reasonable health and balance to begin with, I don't know that any supps are necessary.
Everyone has a different idea of what a perfect diet is. My idea is that a perfect diet is one that meets your needs well. Sometimes that can be hard to access.

If you are tackling particular health challenges, or have prior deficiencies or imbalances, then maybe there are specific supps that could be helpful.

For me, I supplement some things for specific reasons. Eg calcium because I don't get it from dairy, magnesium and zinc because they each help keep specific symptoms at bay.

yeah i understand what you mean. Reasons why i mentioned the things i did for example was that i think if you dont get collagen its kinda absent today and i still see collagen as a supplement. Taurine sure i doubt you need it to survive on the diet i am eating. But it has many health benefits getting extra with zero harm. Many minerals and vitamin can either cause excess or inbalance in them. Protein i use because i believe that for a male like me getting 100 grams + has benefits specially for muscle synthesis and thats what im using it for. I feel eating plenty of carbs is hard enough. Getting a lot of protein on top of that just makes a supplement easier to hit that or get close to it. Choline Im not taking but i want to cause i dont think i get enough everyday and i am a heavy fructose consumer. Choline helps the fructose from liver to blod as cholesterol. My diet is not the perfect one. My point is I eat in a way that im likely not getting mineral or vitamin deficiencies. And i try to fullfill my macros. Now I’m looking for other supplements that can make an extra difference without messing with what i mentioned above.
Thanks for your reply

tara

that i think if you dont get collagen its kinda absent today
Collagen is still a present and essential part of animals, but you do have to go after the more collagenous parts if you want them.

Choline Im not taking but i want to cause i dont think i get enough everyday and i am a heavy fructose consumer. Choline helps the fructose from liver to blod as cholesterol.
I think eggs and liver have choline. Why not eat some of them regularly?

just makes a supplement easier to hit that or get close to it.
Well, if you are talking about supplementing because it's easier than eating a 'perfect' diet, that's a different question.

Vitamin D, Retinol if someone does not consume liver, a lot of things like Cu if liver is not consumed. There are also losses of Vitamins through storage and processing, and imperfect dieting through foodchoice/taste aversion. Also, increased dosages are seen by me as insurance of being topped off and avoiding the possibility of increased need and thus unmet demand. After all i have read, the general rule in the literature of micronutrients is that deficiency is so much worse than slight excess, that one should go for 'more'.