Gelatin vs. Collagen

Saracatt

Hi,

I am new to this board, and Peating, but I am having good results so far only a week in. Yay!

I was wondering what the main difference is between taking collagen as a protein supplement, and gelatin?

I have searched the forum, and it says that gelatin is cooked collagen, but is there any benefit to taking one over the other? I haven't been able to find that piece of info.

A few months ago, I started taking collagen for my joints, and I ordered a lot of it, and I like it. It mixes into most things easily and without any taste. But could I get the same benefit from a cheaper source of gelatin? That would be nice if I could just buy gelatin in bulk.

Thanks,

Sara

YuraCZ

hydrolyzed collagen from the cows or pigs or homemade broth. Everything else is crap..

OP
Saracatt

Saracatt

Well, that's good, that is what I have.

But in the articles, it says that gelatin is fine. Do you know what the difference is?

YuraCZ

Saracatt said:
Well, that's good, that is what I have.

But in the articles, it says that gelatin is fine. Do you know what the difference is?
The biggest is digestibility. Hydrolyzed collagen is much easy to digest..

OP
Saracatt

Saracatt

Ok - then I probably will stick with the collagen. Digestion is one of the things I need to work on. Thanks.

tara

:welcome Saracatt
Some people do better with one, some with the other, some with both. As far as I can tell, gelatinous broth is best for me, but both gelatin and hydrolysed collagen are also fine for me, so I use them all, as convenience dictates. If what you've got's working, that's good. If you want, you can always try some gelatin and see if that works too, then you can have more options. Probably good to go for gelatine without additives.

OP
Saracatt

Saracatt

Thank you!

I do make bone broths sometimes. But I am not sure of how much gelatin I am actually getting in the broth.

I have been making smoothies lately with orange juice, 1 tbls rice protein powder, 2 tbls collagen, and MCT oil. It is really good. I've realized since reading through the material here that I have not been getting enough protein.

Is that too much collagen to take in a day?

tara

Saracatt said:
Is that too much collagen to take in a day?
Not too much collagen. You can probably take a significant portion of your protein as collagen - eg half or more, if you want to. I think many people here take more than 20-50 g collagen or gelatine/day, some more, some less or none.

OP
Saracatt

Saracatt

Ok. Then I am actually going to take more. That is an easy way to increase the amount of protein I am getting.

J

jb116

Saracatt as a general rule, dissolving it well with warm or hot water first makes it much easier for digestion.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals