How To Cook/Prepare Bone Broth?

Regina

If you live somewhere warm and get access to fresh fish, I think fish broth is an excellent option since the tropical fish are low in fat. Also, fish broth is very quick, 25-30 minutes of boiling is enough to produce a very thick gelatinous broth, which in combination with some vegetables makes for some very good eating. If you put the head in too you might get some thyroid as well.
Some philipino folks around here are catching redfish from their kayaks and makinig fish head soup from it. Sounds amazing. I was a bit intimidated. i want to see them make it once.

souperhuman

Some philipino folks around here are catching redfish from their kayaks and makinig fish head soup from it. Sounds amazing. I was a bit intimidated. i want to see them make it once.
Buy or catch whole fish. Put fish parts in a pot with boiling water (tails and fins will make good broth don't throw these away, obviously the head as well). You can play with the water content, but I do an inch or two of water above the fish. After 15 or 20 minutes, throw in some greens, I like peppers. The key is to not overcook the fish or it will be dry, and there will be plenty of gelatin don't worry. A little ginger is also good, I like fresh lemon right before serving as well. One of my favorite foods.

Buy or catch whole fish. Put fish parts in a pot with boiling water (tails and fins will make good broth don't throw these away, obviously the head as well). You can play with the water content, but I do an inch or two of water above the fish. After 15 or 20 minutes, throw in some greens, I like peppers. The key is to not overcook the fish or it will be dry, and there will be plenty of gelatin don't worry. A little ginger is also good, I like fresh lemon right before serving as well. One of my favorite foods.
Eyeballs too?

Regina

Do you strain it and remove the bones after boiling the whole parts?

Yeah they are tasty. I only remove scales, gut it and remove the gills. Everything else can go in the soup.

I don't strain, but I suppose you could.
Boy I think I could only fathom making that soup with tiny fish, like a minnow soup ?

:M :B.

@Rinse & rePeat I think I read you were using coconut oil with your chicken to help get some of the pufa out. Ray also did that with bacon. Sorta double cooking it sometimes.

My girlfriend made a broth the other day with 2 small trout heads and a bunch of shrimp shells. Apparently i told her a while ago to add some coconut oil to the broth and put it in the fridge and let the fat cap form and remove it, then we used the broth for things. I was thinking the coconut oil would bind to some of the PUFA

When I removed the fat cap it was solid with little spots all over where there could have been some PUFA maybe. It wasn't solid in these spots. The spots were more like little drops of liquid like sweat coming out of the fat cap.

With your experience, is this a good strategy?

I'm not sure I'll be using trout heads again, I read ray saying it's not worth making fish head soup out of fatty fish.

Attachments

• 2023-06-03 12.56.18.jpg
    2023-06-03 12.56.18.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 11
@Rinse & rePeat I think I read you were using coconut oil with your chicken to help get some of the pufa out. Ray also did that with bacon. Sorta double cooking it sometimes.

My girlfriend made a broth the other day with 2 small trout heads and a bunch of shrimp shells. Apparently i told her a while ago to add some coconut oil to the broth and put it in the fridge and let the fat cap form and remove it, then we used the broth for things. I was thinking the coconut oil would bind to some of the PUFA

When I removed the fat cap it was solid with little spots all over where there could have been some PUFA maybe. It wasn't solid in these spots. The spots were more like little drops of liquid like sweat coming out of the fat cap.

With your experience, is this a good strategy?

I'm not sure I'll be using trout heads again, I read ray saying it's not worth making fish head soup out of fatty fish.
I boil my chicken, wings, in water @:M :B. and then fish them out and broil them on a baking sheet in refined coconut oil and butter. The broth I boiled them in I cover and refrigerate and the chicken fat rises to the top, and i scrape it off with a spoon and throw it away. I don’t put coconut oil in the broth.

:M :B.

I boil my chicken, wings, in water @:M :B. and then fish them out and broil them on a baking sheet in refined coconut oil and butter. The broth I boiled them in I cover and refrigerate and the chicken fat rises to the top, and i scrape it off with a spoon and throw it away. I don’t put coconut oil in the broth.
Sounds like a great way to do it. Thank you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals