Collagen Vs Gelatin?

Somewhere I read that taking collagen does basically the same thing as taking gelatin. (non Peat source). Since powdered collagen is a lot easier to mix into things - smoothies, coffee, baked goods, etc., I wanted to know if it is considered to be just as good as gelatin?

Or does gelatin have health benefits that collagen by itself doesn't?

Thank you

OP
wealthofwisdom
Is collagen as good as gelatin? I already have a lot of collagen...Should I buy gelatin too? Or does collagen supply the same level of goodness that gelatin does?

Aimer

I sent an email to Ray to ask the difference between gelatin and Hydrolyzed collagen peptide.

He replied:

"When gelatin is extracted in making soup, it is associated with other valuable nutrients. Hydrolyzed gelatin contains the same balance of amino acids and is o.k."

微信截图_20211012201928.png

P

Peatness

I sent an email to Ray to ask the difference between gelatin and Hydrolyzed collagen peptide.

He replied:

"When gelatin is extracted in making soup, it is associated with other valuable nutrients. Hydrolyzed gelatin contains the same balance of amino acids and is o.k."

View attachment 28844
Thank you. I've seen this response from Dr Peat before but my experience tells me it is not the same. I find hydrolysed gelatin raises my blood pressure and makes my muscles feel floppy but gelatin doesn’t. I am trying to figure out why

Last edited by a moderator:

dhtsupreme

yea im struggling with incorporating gelatin into my diet. I tried the uncooked gelatin with oj. not bad but kind of ruins it.

I see others making it into jello or other desserts. it's more work than im willing to put in

if collagen is a good alternative than that would be a lot easier (smoothies, coffee etc.)

FrostedShores

Somewhat related question (I didn't want to make a new thread):

How do you mix collagen/gelatin with liquids without getting a lot of foam? Whenever I mix OJ or milk with collagen/gelatin, I end up with a lot of foam/froth. Is there some trick I'm not aware of?

Servier

I guess the size of the peptides can play (the one I use is only 1000 Daltons), and also the temperature of the liquid.
Mine is an hydrolysate, a really thin and volatile unflavored powder, I put a scoop in a bottle of water (room temperature), and within 5 min it's totally diluted, no foam, the water is lightly colored (yellowish). Then I drink it during the day, or during training. I tried in coffee but didn't like the taste

golder

I guess the size of the peptides can play (the one I use is only 1000 Daltons), and also the temperature of the liquid.
Mine is an hydrolysate, a really thin and volatile unflavored powder, I put a scoop in a bottle of water (room temperature), and within 5 min it's totally diluted, no foam, the water is lightly colored (yellowish). Then I drink it during the day, or during training. I tried in coffee but didn't like the taste
Nice, where do you buy your collagen/gelatin?

Servier

Nice, where do you buy your collagen/gelatin?
Sorry for the late reply, I live in France and I buy it in a nearby pharmacy, but the my criterias are : Type 1 bovine collagen, hydrolysate, 1000 daltons peptide, unflavored, and should also contain Calcium ascorbate.
If you want to order it on iherb, I have a discount code that I can share so let me know and feel free to send me a direct message.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals