Newly Peating And New Acne

TAG145

Forum Supporter
I am slowly transitioning my life to Peat but want to change my diet slowly so I have only currently done away with PUFA and gotten clean cottage cheese, meat and eggs (insect-eating) I have incorporated new supplements and wonder if one of these could be causing my sudden acne. I am getting new spots popping up multiple times a day. I’ve had skin issues but they have been controlled for some time. I am on progesterone for the last few months but have added: vitamin E, B1, glycine powder before bed, k2. Already taking Mg, vit C & D3.
Prior to Peat I was low carb but definitely used coconut oil, organic meats, organic high fat dairy and supplement I have stopped are: iron (taking for anemia), b complex, zinc, liver support, fish oil, probiotic.
Anyone experience a sudden uptick in acne or know of supplements that can come tribute? From experience B12 can cause acne but I’m not taking it.

Nicole W.

I am slowly transitioning my life to Peat but want to change my diet slowly so I have only currently done away with PUFA and gotten clean cottage cheese, meat and eggs (insect-eating) I have incorporated new supplements and wonder if one of these could be causing my sudden acne. I am getting new spots popping up multiple times a day. I’ve had skin issues but they have been controlled for some time. I am on progesterone for the last few months but have added: vitamin E, B1, glycine powder before bed, k2. Already taking Mg, vit C & D3.
Prior to Peat I was low carb but definitely used coconut oil, organic meats, organic high fat dairy and supplement I have stopped are: iron (taking for anemia), b complex, zinc, liver support, fish oil, probiotic.
Anyone experience a sudden uptick in acne or know of supplements that can come tribute? From experience B12 can cause acne but I’m not taking it.
I would try subtracting the progesterone for a while and see if that makes a difference. When taking progesterone at first you can get estrogen dominance symptoms like acne because your body isn’t clearing the displaced estrogen fast enough. If you find that the progesterone is the culprit then improving your ability to detoxify estrogen so that it doesn’t recycle in your body is the goal. Peat emphasizes the raw carrot and keeping protein adequate for the liver to function properly. Calcium D Glucarate is another tool to improve estrogen clearance that you can try.

OP
T

TAG145

Forum Supporter
I will stop progesterone a bit-makes sense as I am re-newed to progesterone after some time. The last time my dr. put me on oral and I broke out everywhere-even on my scalp! I have not had problems with the cream in the past. I have started the raw carrot salad and have been looking for a calcium supplement. Thank you for your feedback!

OP
T

TAG145

Forum Supporter
Liver. Peat suggests eating liver once a week
I am learning that too. Have people had success with Ancestral liver supplements? I know it a balance of what benefits we are looking for but I cannot stomach liver unless liverwurst-which has a lot of additives.

OP
T

TAG145

Forum Supporter
Acne for me is almost always caused by (inability to digest) dairy
I was thinking dairy in the past but did an elimination of dairy for 30 days and did not notice any benefits and nothing changed resuming dairy. My acne has been fine and normally hormonal so I will go the progesterone route first and go from there. I hope it isn’t dairy—what would I do-lol!

czecha

I was thinking dairy in the past but did an elimination of dairy for 30 days and did not notice any benefits and nothing changed resuming dairy. My acne has been fine and normally hormonal so I will go the progesterone route first and go from there. I hope it isn’t dairy—what would I do-lol!
What I have done against acne succesfully is a fruit diet. Fructose gets processed in upper gut and doesn’t reach lower gut. Then you can resume a normal diet, or even try a milk diet for some time to recolonize lower gut.
2 days of just fruit reliably clears my skin up. It’s not that pleasant though because you have to constantly eat and you are depleting nutrients (which I think should be fine for 2 days)

OP
T

TAG145

Forum Supporter
What I have done against acne succesfully is a fruit diet. Fructose gets processed in upper gut and doesn’t reach lower gut. Then you can resume a normal diet, or even try a milk diet for some time to recolonize lower gut.
2 days of just fruit reliably clears my skin up. It’s not that pleasant though because you have to constantly eat and you are depleting nutrients (which I think should be fine for 2 days)
Thanks! I will keep that in mind as an option.

ursidae

I developed severe acne a year ago upon starting to consume red meat, dairy, coconut oil and fruit. My skin was clear/okay before that. I believe dairy was the biggest factor. Haven’t stopped it still. You need to change what you’re doing while it is still manageable. Acne can not always be turned around quickly. And be very very careful with your liver consumption.

Other than that Some topical stuff I’ve discovered recently to have beneficial effect: zinc, niacinamide, sodium ascorbyl phosphate, MSM

Last edited:

kYgirl

Regular sugar was causing my acne. I switched to coconut palm sugar and my skin improved a lot.

OP
T

TAG145

Forum Supporter
I do use sodium ascorbyl phosphate on my face (mad hippie serum) and stopped taking zinc recently and I think that was helpful. I am always super oily but usually just a bit hormonal acne-but manageable. I normally eat a lot of grass fed red meat, yogurt, cottage cheese, milk but very low sugar. I have started OJ/salt before bed but really haven’t drank OJ for over 10 years. I do eat fruit but berries, apples and bananas. I haven’t changed my diet except changed up supplements & added progesterone. Also started very low PUFA.

bogbody

I have been doing Peat for a little over three months and my acne got really bad initially and is finally starting to calm down. I also came from a low carb/paleo background and honestly I think my body was just going through an adjustment period. You might need to just give it time. I think I was initially eating too much fat because I came from low carb. So I was adding in a lot of carbs while not lowering my fat intake accordingly so my liver was probably like “what the f**k?” and additionally my gut and digestion were becoming accustomed to different input. Lowering my fat intake seems fo have helped. Also using Progest-E though I’m female so my acne is tied to my cycle. Re: Ancestral Supplements - i tried them for a couple of months a while back while I was still eating paleo and personally did not notice any benefit.

OP
T

TAG145

Forum Supporter
One thing I forgot I took a couple days worth of pregnenolone (10 mg) I think that might’ve been the culprit. I stopped progesterone and kept up with everything else and my skin calmed down. It was boggling to me because only oral progesterone bothered my skin in the past, never topical. Then I saw the bottle of preg and remembered I topknot for a few days. I am adding back Progesterone for the last two days so we’ll see!

mrchibbs

In my experience, it's simply a matter of an elevated metabolism which raises nutritional requirements and can exacerbate and worsen existing deficiencies. Acne is associated with many vitamin/mineral deficiencies which affect the function of the epiderma and can cause pimples.

It's extremely important to be borderline OCD about getting extremely high quality nutrition, especially early on when introducing sugar, caffeine, thyroid etc. That means things like shellfish, eggs and yes dairy are non-negotiable (being the most nutrient rich foods). Cooked veggies in creamed soups, mashed potatoes, good gelatinous cuts of meat are also great.

Cheese, and greek yogurt is often easier than straight up milk.

But it is a fact that some foods like dairy can be difficult to digest and therefore I think early on it makes the most sense to go slow and not use any metabolic stimulants, and try to eat very nutritious foods for a while.

OP
T

TAG145

Forum Supporter
In my experience, it's simply a matter of an elevated metabolism which raises nutritional requirements and can exacerbate and worsen existing deficiencies. Acne is associated with many vitamin/mineral deficiencies which affect the function of the epiderma and can cause pimples.

It's extremely important to be borderline OCD about getting extremely high quality nutrition, especially early on when introducing sugar, caffeine, thyroid etc. That means things like shellfish, eggs and yes dairy are non-negotiable (being the most nutrient rich foods). Cooked veggies in creamed soups, mashed potatoes, good gelatinous cuts of meat are also great.

Cheese, and greek yogurt is often easier than straight up milk.

But it is a fact that some foods like dairy can be difficult to digest and therefore I think early on it makes the most sense to go slow and not use any metabolic stimulants, and try to eat very nutritious foods for a while.

Thank you. Everyone is so knowledgeable and helpful. I agree with going slow and am just trying to learn all I can from Dr. Peat and all on this forum...I feel like all I am doing is pouring over and over all of this. I’m home recovering from hip surgery so I definitely have time! I did have a conversation with dr Peat over the last few days about my thyroid and milk intake and he did recommend that I drink 2 qts of milk per day. I haven’t gotten up to that much yet but have been drinking about 16-20 oz most of my life per day. I am going to increase that slowly and hopefully don’t have any huge breakouts.