What Would You Consider Endurance Exercise?

DD963

I 'm Newbie a to Ray Peat thought.
Wanted get opinions on endurance exercise. I like to ride distance on my bicycle (20-50 miles each ride) and would like to continue but don't want to stress myself too much.
Can this be OK long term considering Ray Peat thought?
Could I reduce stress with diet and sleep enough that the exercise will not negatively effect health?
Thanks for the comments

narouz

Do you get breathless on those long treks?
Peat sometimes uses the expression "breathless exercise."

himsahimsa

I read peat like narouz on this. Exhaustion is not good. I also do 20 mile minimum rides 3 or 4 times a week. I always feel good after, I have no affinity for "no pain no gain" philosophy.

Kasper

I think any exercise is good as long as you can do it with nose breathing only and with a smile on your face.

I like to jump on a trampoline with a training masks. http://www.trainingmask.com/

The main principle is relatively simple: when we breathe in and out through the device, we get a different air composition in our lungs. In normal conditions, when we breathe usual air, the air that we inhale has about 21% of oxygen and 0.03% of carbon dioxide. If we start to breathe through any device, in and out, the device traps a portion of the exhaled air. This exhaled air has less O2 and more CO2. For example, if we collect all exhaled air of the ordinary healthy man during normal breathing, it will contain about 15.3% O2 and 4.2% CO2 since the human body uses O2 and generates CO2.

When we breathe only through the device (inhalations and exhalations), there are changes in the air composition that enters our lungs depending on the parameters of our breathing and device. Indeed, during our exhalation, part of the exhaled air is trapped in the breathing device. Furthermore, the initial part of the exhaled gas has almost no extra CO2 and about 21% O2 since this air does not participate in gas exchange. (Ironically, it is called “dead volume”, but in reality it is a factor promoting health due to drastic changes in air compositions during Earth’s evolution). The last portion of the exhaled air has highest CO2 content and lowest O2 values. Hence, the device can trap this last portion of the exhaled air, which has high CO2 concentration (up to about 5-6% in healthy people) and much less oxygen (about 14-15%) than in normal air.

training-mask-review.jpg

jyb

himsahimsa said:
I read peat like narouz on this. Exhaustion is not good. I also do 20 mile minimum rides 3 or 4 times a week. I always feel good after, I have no affinity for "no pain no gain" philosophy.

I think strenuous and harmful exercise can also yield a "feel good" after. In fact, a few years ago I used to do precisely that: run daily even if I was exhausted and hadn't slept well. After the run, I would feel relaxed and energized. Little did I know that this would in fact exacerbate the problem.

jyb

Kasper said:
I think any exercise is good as long as you can do it with nose breathing only and with a smile on your face.

I like to jump on a trampoline with a training masks. http://www.trainingmask.com/

Can you use this for general purpose increased CO2 breathing? That is, as an alternative to bag breathing, something you can put on comfortably while reading for an hour or two.

Kasper

Can you use this for general purpose increased CO2 breathing? That is, as an alternative to bag breathing, something you can put on comfortably while reading for an hour or two.

Absolutely, but I mostly do it for like 10-20 minutes every time. After that I feel like it is enough. Also, with food on the stomach, bag breathing or this training mask may cause problems.

From normalbreathing.com:

There are 2 types of dangers due to breathing exercises and manipulation of breathing.

A. When solid food is in the stomach
Many breathing students get so obsessed with reduced breathing that they start doing it
nearly all the time or whenever they are awake. While this strategy can help to increase
the CP and improve one’s health for some students, many people get problems when they
do RB with solid food in the stomach. With food in the stomach, only people with very
strong stomachs and good digestion are able to get benefits from light air hunger and
increased CO2 (without any damage). Most people need to avoid any breathing
manipulations during and after meals until the stomach is empty.

B. When biofilms are present
Breathing exercises and breath holds can also cause problems even when the stomach has
no solid food. An increase in CO2 is a chemical trigger that causes mechanical effects
(intensified peristalsis) and enhanced sensitivity of the immune system. Therefore, strong
air hunger, long pauses, and large CO2 increases; all these factors can lead to intensive
peristaltic waves that can destroy already-inflamed villi.

Since many people with digestive problems suffer from GI dysbiosis, abnormal GI flora
in the gut, and biofilms in the small intestine, this sudden CO2 and CP increase leads to
intensive peristalsis since the body tries to get rid of pathological content in the small and
large intestines. This effect of strong peristalsis is generally beneficial: the gut tries to
flush out pathogens and their toxins. Such a positive reaction, in the form of diarrhea,
takes place, for example, after food poisoning. Higher CO2 and CPs intensify this effect:
you probably noticed that it is much easier to have a bowel movement with breath holds
and reduced breathing.

Since many people with digestive problems suffer from GI dysbiosis, abnormal GI flora
in the gut, and biofilms in the small intestine, this sudden CO2 and CP increase leads to
intensive peristalsis since the body tries to get rid of pathological content in the small and
large intestines. This effect of strong peristalsis is generally beneficial: the gut tries to
flush out pathogens and their toxins. Such a positive reaction, in the form of diarrhea,
takes place, for example, after food poisoning. Higher CO2 and CPs intensify this effect:
you probably noticed that it is much easier to have a bowel movement with breath holds
and reduced breathing.

jyb

Kasper said:
From normalbreathing.com:

It's a bit surprising, but he doesn't give evidence. Also, CO2 breathing harmful when no solid food? Only a little bit of casein sits in the stomach on a heavy milk and digestible sugar diet ;)

OP
D

DD963

narouz said:
Do you get breathless on those long treks?
Peat sometimes uses the expression "breathless exercise."

90% of ride easy breathing maybe a few hills that require breathless or close to it

Mittir

I think it would be helpful if you can find out if cycling causes mostly a concentric
muscle contraction or not.

Here is a collection of RP quotes on exercise.

Exercise

I think periods of intense muscular exertion should be limited to 20 or 30 seconds, followed by rest periods. Otherwise, T3 falls and the stress signals rise. If mental activity has a sense of obligation, of being pushed, it can raise the same stress mediators (serotonin, TSH, prolactin, CRH, cortisol, etc.), but if the attitude is one of opening and exploring new possibilities, it activates restorative processes throughout the body.

Concentric resistance training has an anabolic effect on the whole body. Sprinting is probably o.k. Endurance exercise is the worst. I don't think martial arts are necessarily too stressful.

A high protein diet is helpful, and avoiding polyunsaturated fats helps to increase testosterone (coconut oil, butter, maybe MCT instead). Excess tryptophan can promote the catabolic cortisol, so supplementing gelatin might be helpful.

Orange juice is very helpful, maybe some salty thing; I don't think niacinamide would be necessary, though it would be an interesting experiment.

http://peatarian.com/peatexchanges#exercise

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals